: heading coast to coast baby!!

1fstkde
11-29-06, 09:25 PM
always had to urge since i was 16 to do a coast to coast run(preferably in a lambo) but i guess that will never happen unless my lotto numbers hit tonight.!! so my lease is running up in about a few months and i thought its not a lambo, but good enough:thumbsup: ..start off in los angles and trekk it to new york,,wish me luck, will be heading off around the 24th of december..hope to get some play on the highways..especially where the speed limits are 80..:eek: ..

p.s. .20 cents per mile over the lease...will cost me about $1200 round trip..not to bad..

DILLIGAF
11-29-06, 09:29 PM
Cool,post your route.You might want to avoid the Rockies this time of year.LOL

1fstkde
11-29-06, 10:24 PM
Cool,post your route.You might want to avoid the Rockies this time of year.LOL
thats classic..just got back from denver last week. but anyways ataying away from there this time..heading on the 40 all the way to MISSOURI...thats where i might head into some TC problems..:eek: ..then probably the 70 east then to the 80...anyways should be fun..:thumbsup:

50 4Ever
11-29-06, 11:48 PM
That will be fun. I have driven my '03 Corvette cross country 3 times, the summer of 2005 I met some people from LA in Barstow and after we got on I-40 we took it clear to Asheville North Carolina. Great drive.

Have fun :thumbsup:

11-30-06, 03:01 PM
yeah, great drive. Sadly I did it with a 1976 plymouth volare with a slant six; not quite a thrill a minute. I did it, east to west, route 80 then I think I hit route 75 down to 40 (maybe I was on 70 for a while). We took a north route back through yellowstone etc...but it was summertime.

don't miss places like Tucumcari NM and Kingman AZ......and watch those holeshots as it may take some time to ship a new differential out to middle of the desert....

urbanski
11-30-06, 03:23 PM
head down this way

nikon
11-30-06, 04:13 PM
damn...apparently I'm one of the few that hate road trips???...I cringe putting those miles on my car...Id rather fly..but really I just hate going places...I guess something like the cannonball run could be fun..but I'm no millionaire...either way, enjoy the trip.

Silver Dollar
11-30-06, 05:13 PM
He didn't say "lambo", did he?

Albertan
11-30-06, 11:00 PM
You didn't mention the return trip? How many miles is it one way? I know last summer I drove from LA to Calgary (1600 miles) started 9AM Sat and was home 2PM Sunday. Stayed overnight in the Cadillac of hotels! I love road trips.
Bruce

1fstkde
11-30-06, 11:07 PM
You didn't mention the return trip? How many miles is it one way? I know last summer I drove from LA to Calgary (1600 miles) started 9AM Sat and was home 2PM Sunday. Stayed overnight in the Cadillac of hotels! I love road trips.
Bruce should be 6000 miles roundtrip....

Albertan
11-30-06, 11:10 PM
6000 miles, that's about what I thought. So you should be home for New Years??
Bruce

1fstkde
11-30-06, 11:12 PM
He didn't say "lambo", did he? yes i did!!! an 84 Countach 5000S..:bouncy: ...

Albertan
03-04-07, 12:57 PM
1fstkde
What ever happened to your coast to coast trip? Did you do it?
Report...
Bruce

NIK
03-05-07, 12:51 PM
Man, am I jealous! When I bought my "V" that's what I intended to do (only in the opposite direction - east to west and back.) I still have my nav programmed for Las Vegas Blvd and Tropicanna - all I have to do is hit the button! Damn, I will do it yet!!

At any rate, have a great time, you lucky SOB!

thebigjimsho
03-05-07, 06:10 PM
http://www.mapquest.com/mqproxy/45ecac69-00199-047a9-6818a398&rnd=4087

This is a simple map of my first road trip in the V in August of '04. This leaves out stops at Wall Drug, the Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Devil's Tower, Grand Tetons, Mt Ranier, Crater Lake, the Redwoods, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Tulsa and Canton to see the football HOF. That map shows 7,500 miles. Altogether it was about 9,600 miles. When I was done, the V had 13,500 miles on the ODO.

Albertan
03-06-07, 12:30 AM
Bigjim
How long did it take you? I find much more than 8-900 miles is about enough for a day.
Anyone ever tell you you look a lot like Ron Burgundy?
Bruce

thebigjimsho
03-06-07, 06:48 AM
Bigjim
How long did it take you? I find much more than 8-900 miles is about enough for a day.
Anyone ever tell you you look a lot like Ron Burgundy?
BruceWe took 3 1/2 weeks for the trip. 9 days to get to Cali, where I have family, 8 days in Cali and 8 days home. We didn't have many really long legs. We did drive straight from MA to SD but had about 4 hours of sleep on the ferry across Lake Michigan. The one really long leg we had was Grand Canyon to Chicago. We left 6:30AM CST and met up with my turboSHO buddy in Tulsa at 8:30PM. That was 1100 miles in 14 hours. That was fun. After dinner and a fun run, we headed for Chicago.

Back in '00, my brother and I went straight to Cali driving about 2300 miles until we spent the night in Wendover, NV. After spending a week and a half, we left Ventura Beach for Miami...and we didn't stop to sleep. A little under 40 hours with an Astros game sandwiched in the middle. Then we drove straight to Chicago from Miami. Then back to MA. That was in an Altima.

I don't resemble Burgundy that closely, but I like good scotch and a fantastic heiney.

thebigjimsho
03-06-07, 06:53 AM
In the summer of '08, the SHO guys have their National Convention in Seattle. I'm still debating about taking the V, but I'll be driving something out and back. The way back will be going through Canada. I've always wanted to see Western Canada.

And sometime iin the near future, a drive to Alaska will be done.

Albertan
03-06-07, 03:18 PM
Bigjim
Driving through Canada: Hint If you want Western Canada, drive interstate 90 and come up through Coutts/SweetGrass. Up to Calgary, say hello then take TransCanada West to Banff. If you want nice tour go on Hwy 93 Icefields parkawy to Jasper then West to Kamloops. Pentiction is nice but would require back tracking. Be aware that most of these roads are 2 lane. Good fun passing though. If you don't do Pentiction you can take the "Coca Cola" highway staright to Vancouver.

If you want some spectacular scenery take the "Going to the Sun" highway in Glacier Park Montana. Won't see better scenery ever. Be prepared to drive 15 miles an hour. They don't let long vehicles or trailers on the road!
Bruce

thebigjimsho
03-06-07, 04:51 PM
Bigjim
Driving through Canada: Hint If you want Western Canada, drive interstate 90 and come up through Coutts/SweetGrass. Up to Calgary, say hello then take TransCanada West to Banff. If you want nice tour go on Hwy 93 Icefields parkawy to Jasper then West to Kamloops. Pentiction is nice but would require back tracking. Be aware that most of these roads are 2 lane. Good fun passing though. If you don't do Pentiction you can take the "Coca Cola" highway staright to Vancouver.

If you want some spectacular scenery take the "Going to the Sun" highway in Glacier Park Montana. Won't see better scenery ever. Be prepared to drive 15 miles an hour. They don't let long vehicles or trailers on the road!
Bruce
Thanks for the tips. I'll be mapping out what you're talking about and try to incorporate that into the trip. When heading out to Seattle, I want to stay far north in the US. Probably venture off I-90 for a bit here and there. Glacier National Park is definitely a target.

ctsvflorida
03-06-07, 05:25 PM
Boy you really dug dis chread out from the archives!

He said he planned to do this in a Lambo-rghini but I'll tell ya what...I would rather do it in a V! Lambo would be just to small and cramped!

Thebigjimsho: You did 1100 miles in 14 hours? That may be some sort of record for speed limited roads! I thought I drove fast and covered ground incredibly but that is sick! I go to NY every summer with the car and that is a pretty good drive, if you can find a guy or two to mess with on the way!

Well, I hope the guy who started this thread is alright as he never again replied, did he? Hope he replies soon!

thebigjimsho
03-06-07, 05:42 PM
Yeah, when we were in New Mexico, the speed limit was 75 and we got in a group that did 95+ for about 3 hours. That and quick gas stops.

BTW, we averaged 27.8mpg on that tank where we were doing 95+. Love those plateaus!

ctsvflorida
03-06-07, 05:56 PM
Yeah, when we were in New Mexico, the speed limit was 75 and we got in a group that did 95+ for about 3 hours. That and quick gas stops.

BTW, we averaged 27.8mpg on that tank where we were doing 95+. Love those plateaus!

Those groups are great! I do almost all highway driving and wait until a guy or a group pass and off I go, hence never having a speeding ticket!

How on earth did you get that mileage at that speed?

ahahnu
03-06-07, 06:13 PM
I'm driving to Florida on Friday night Saturday morning. I hope to find afew of the 95+ groups. I hope to go buy Borat on DVD for the trip too! "Nice, yes."

ctsvflorida
03-06-07, 07:09 PM
I'm driving to Florida on Friday night Saturday morning. I hope to find afew of the 95+ groups. I hope to go buy Borat on DVD for the trip too! "Nice, yes."

Where are you going in FL?

Silver Dollar
03-06-07, 07:13 PM
Where are you going in FL?

Llama land.

Ak Jim
03-06-07, 08:10 PM
Hey Bigjim or any one wanting to drive the ALCAN, think about driving one way and taking the Alaska Marine Highway the other way. The ferry stops at a bunch of cool towns and you can adjust your trip schedule to spend one or more days in as many of the stops as you like. Normaly the ferry stops at Haines but once or twice a month it connects to Valdez. My mom and dad did the trip last summer in their V.

thebigjimsho
03-06-07, 10:55 PM
Hey Bigjim or any one wanting to drive the ALCAN, think about driving one way and taking the Alaska Marine Highway the other way. The ferry stops at a bunch of cool towns and you can adjust your trip schedule to spend one or more days in as many of the stops as you like. Normaly the ferry stops at Haines but once or twice a month it connects to Valdez. My mom and dad did the trip last summer in their V.I'll be doing the Alaskan drive with my parents, no doubt. My parents met on a blind date in Alaska. I blabbed that I was planning on going eventually and my mother refuses to let me go without her.

But I learned to do these cross country trips from my parents so it shouldn't be too bad. It'll just feel like I'm 18 again.

ahahnu
03-07-07, 10:20 AM
Where are you going in FL? I'm going to Orlando/ Disney area. You from around there? Any one wanna possibly get together?

1fstkde
03-07-07, 09:39 PM
1fstkde
What ever happened to your coast to coast trip? Did you do it?
Report...
Bruce
sorry for not replying, totally forgot about the post!! anyway yes i did, and loved it!! car was awesome to drive only one downfall was it felt a little cramped after a while. you wouldn't believe the attention it got on the highway. had to show a few cars what it really was.. M3(TOAST), MUSTANG GT(TOAST), WRX(TOAST) and even jeep Cherokee(lol, sorry just had to) navigation and xm definitely a plus! on the way out got a few rock chips but all in all no major dings or dents from the road trip. maybe its in my head but i think the car runs better after it got opened up on a long trip. now my lease runs out at the end of the month and im over by 4000 miles..still cheaper than if i bought two airline tickets and a rent a car for a week!! definitely would do it again.. :bouncy: