: Sunroof ripple

JJKJ
11-29-06, 09:47 PM
I just finished reading a related thread on the value of a sunroof in a CTS-V. In the thread, one poster mentioned rippling of the roof around the sunroof. When I purchased my car, it was flawless except for what I thought were a couple minor dings near the corner of the sunroof. I thought something had maybe landed on the car, even though there were no scratches or damage to the paint near the dings. After reading the last thread though, I'm now thinking I may have the rippling near the sunroof that the other thread mentioned. That would explain why there isn't any paint damage. I had planned to just have a paintless dent repair remove the dings, but now I'm wondering if I did, would they just re-appear after some spirited cornering? For reference, I don't have any suspension mods, but I do have FG2 shocks. I've attached some pics to show the "rippling".

So what do you guys think, are these ripples damage from something landing on the car, or from cornering stress? Also like to add, like I mentioned before, there is no other damage to the car and it doesn't appear that the sunroof has been replaced or worked on.

Thanks,

John
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1/jkelchjr/IMG_1407Medium.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1/jkelchjr/IMG_1406Medium.jpg

BowenCT
11-29-06, 11:12 PM
Reminds me of when my '89 Pontiac Fomula WS6 used to crack t-tops..........

The Tony Show
11-30-06, 10:06 AM
I'm the guy mentioned in the other post with the wavy roof, but it doesn't look anything like that. Mine angle out diagonally from the corners of the glass as if someone had sat in the car and pushed up on the glass with a force greater than any human could generate.

As far as the dent guy, don't get your hopes up: I had my enitre interior gutted so we could drop the headliner and get the roof fixed, but the sunroof is part of a huge metal assembly that is bonded flush to the roof panel. It completely blocks all access to the visible metal on the roof, so no getting a tool in there to pop the dents.

rand49er
11-30-06, 10:55 AM
Holy crap, that looks ... well ... not so good! Made me run into the garage and check mine. It's okay ... whew! Manufacturing flaw? Body flex and give? I'd think the warranty would cover that.

The Tony Show
11-30-06, 11:00 AM
It sure does.- they offered to send mine to the body shop, and I said "No thanks." Putting Bondo on a thin roof panel that flexes every time you open and close the door? Pass. That was my only option, so I'm just dealing with it.

Silver Dollar
11-30-06, 12:40 PM
That looks like ass.

I promis you if my roof does that GM is fixin' it!

ctsvflorida
11-30-06, 12:47 PM
First off, SILVERDOLLAR, there really is no repair and this is coming from an ex body shop owner. I said really no repair so it is possible but it will get ugly and cost a lot. Then, who knows how it will look and it WILL happen again!

As far as JJKJ goes, I would say that it is from extreme cornering and it reacted differently from Tony's! What do you think Tony? I am the one that mentioned your roof in a recent thread Tony but listed no names. My sunroofless car is gaining value by the day and again, having many performance cars, I never even had t-tops in my F bodies!

Silver Dollar
11-30-06, 12:53 PM
Fair enough, but they sure as hell will try and fix it and if they didn't fix it they'll be buying the car back.

Of course, I don't have this problem, I'm just saying............

ctsvflorida
11-30-06, 01:01 PM
Fair enough, but they sure as hell will try and fix it and if they didn't fix it they'll be buying the car back.

Of course, I don't have this problem, I'm just saying............

I agree 100%!

Koooop
11-30-06, 03:52 PM
Think of them as laugh lines! You know you had some fun making those, they didn't happen driving like a sane person. Sit back, enjoy the ride.

You have a hole in the top of your 3,800lb hot rod sedan! It bent a little. Is anyone really surprised?

The Tony Show
11-30-06, 04:21 PM
That's kind of the attitude I've taken.

"Check that out guys- my car has so much torque, it twisted the roof."

It sucks, but what are you going to do?

Silver Dollar
11-30-06, 04:43 PM
Ah, I'll have the Sun Roof Ripple with the leaky rear fudge sauce please.....

The Tony Show
11-30-06, 04:45 PM
There is so much comedy potential in "Leaky rear fudge sauce" that I'm backing away slowly for fear of injuring myself...

Silver Dollar
11-30-06, 06:09 PM
I'm sure someone will knock that one outta the park. :)

Koooop
11-30-06, 06:17 PM
I recently discovered my backside has some ripples and is starting to leak something... Oh wait, we're talking cars here.

Nevermind.

JJKJ
11-30-06, 09:17 PM
I'm the guy mentioned in the other post with the wavy roof, but it doesn't look anything like that. Mine angle out diagonally from the corners of the glass as if someone had sat in the car and pushed up on the glass with a force greater than any human could generate.

As far as the dent guy, don't get your hopes up: I had my enitre interior gutted so we could drop the headliner and get the roof fixed, but the sunroof is part of a huge metal assembly that is bonded flush to the roof panel. It completely blocks all access to the visible metal on the roof, so no getting a tool in there to pop the dents.

Well thanks for saving me a bunch of time. I had already had a dent guy look at the roof, but said he couldn't get in under the headliner to fix the dents. We discussed me bringing the car back with the headliner removed so he could have better access. I hadn't done that yet because I looked at the manual and how much work is involved in getting the headliner out. Thanks to your post, I guess I won't bother since it won't do me any good. I would've been kind of PO'd if I had taken the interior all apart and not had any luck fixing the dents.

Thanks,

John

JJKJ
11-30-06, 09:24 PM
That looks like ass.

I promis you if my roof does that GM is fixin' it!

It's not quite as bad as it looks in the pictures. I kind of set up the pics for optimal lighting and angle to show the ripples at their worst. My garage is very well lit and the pics are pretty close-up. Under normal sunlight, the ripples aren't as noticible.

It still sucks though, no doubt. However, the alternative is worse in my opinion, there's no way I want a body shop throwing bondo and paint on my roof.

John