: What happened to the good ol' days?.....

MachX
11-29-06, 07:08 PM
You guys remember back in the day when it was Kenwood vs. Pioneer vs. Alpine battling it out for car audio supremacy? It seems that with the Xplosion (pun intended) of inferior Sony junk, those three great names have been left in the dust. Maybe it's only up here in Canada, but all I see are Futureshops and Bestbuys pushing Sony, JVC, Dual and other crappy names.... I do see from the Kenwood website they still have great products, it just seems that you can't buy them anywhere up here any more.

the727kid
11-29-06, 07:22 PM
It's money, cheap shit sells. Kenwood ain't that great either cept with headunits.

CadillacSTS42005
11-30-06, 01:47 AM
Pioneer Infinity JL and Kicker
those are the audio brands in my car
by far not crappy imho
but i agree something should be done about these posers...

MachX
11-30-06, 06:47 AM
I meant Kenwood's head units. I remember when your system wasn't complete without one. Although I was on their website and the in-dash DVD system had me drooling. But $1200! And what happened to Xcelon?

the727kid
11-30-06, 07:09 AM
$1200 ain't too bad, top of the line ones go around $2200.

dp102288
11-30-06, 11:34 AM
I love Pioneer. Great stuff, and not just cars, home stuff too.

My in-dash hu and the regular hu in my Eldo were Pioneer. Makes my stock speakers sound so damn good I decided not to change them.

CadillacSTS42005
11-30-06, 12:49 PM
imagine if you replaced them how theyd sound
part of the reason it sounds good is the non bose eldo had 2 ohm speaks stock instead i believe of the bose gold which had 1 ohm

rl256
11-30-06, 08:47 PM
I just bought a new Kenwood HU at Best Buy a couple week ago. I guess it's only in canada that they dont have them?

dp102288
11-30-06, 09:43 PM
imagine if you replaced them how theyd sound
part of the reason it sounds good is the non bose eldo had 2 ohm speaks stock instead i believe of the bose gold which had 1 ohm

I am guessing 2 ohm are better for sound than 1 ohm?

Damn, my newbie-ness is showing!

CadillacSTS42005
12-01-06, 12:39 AM
2 ohm have less bottoming out issue and distortion at high volumes with high power
hence why i run subs at 4 ohms regardless of the fact i can wire them to 1 ohm and my amp is 1 ohm stable and would push 2000 watts to it, im plenty happy with the 750 at 4 ohms of clean power

the727kid
12-01-06, 07:05 AM
Ohms don't matter about bottoming out and distortion. Set your gains right and you always have clean power. Set your subsonic filter for bottoming out issues.

MachX
12-01-06, 07:53 AM
I found the same thing with the stock speakers in my 91. I installed my Kenwood hu and am blown away by how loud you can run the front stage without distortion, or rattles, louder than any confortable listening level. And they sound so CLEAR without any equalization with the seperate tweeter in the dash and midwoofer in the door. I had The Who's Live at Leeds at concert levels and the sound remained perfectly clear I had never HEARD anything sound so good. The Sony 5.25 coaxials I put in my old 90 sound like total garbage in comparison. So I added my two RF subs/amp and can't imagine improving the system in any way. By the way, check out my post on converting your rear deck speakers into a matrixed surround setup. You'll be blown away.

dp102288
12-01-06, 08:43 AM
Meh...if I do change anything, it would be when I blow something. But if I did change something right now it would be to add small subs. Not too big as I don't want to lose the rest of my awful hearing, but just to help a little.

CadillacSTS42005
12-01-06, 10:36 AM
imho i think at higher ohms theres cleaner and more tighter sound
i said this more as an opinion and not fact

xxpinballxx
12-01-06, 09:29 PM
I think the majority of the people buying the best buy stuff are kids who used their birthday money to throw a half-assed system in there 82 celica. So the shiny lit up cheap crap is the way to go. The guys serious about it and wanting the quality know what they are doing and go where they know they will get the quality they are looking for.