: Got my hotchkis collars in + some spacers...

nikon
11-29-06, 03:47 PM
I read all the posts about you guys gettin the collars in from hotckiss, but never any mention of a spacer...will this help to solve the clunking issue I wonder?? anyone else recieve this with their band-aid kit?

Florian
11-29-06, 05:11 PM
Nikon,

As discussed, the collars are a band-aid to what is really the problem, the saddles. Ive heard that Hotchkis is beefing up the saddles and will make them available (when?). Until then, I ordered the GM saddles and will be reinstalling those...I may have to shave some urethane on the bushing, but it should quiet the clunk.

F

nikon
11-29-06, 05:27 PM
well, what i'm saying is they sent spacers with the kit...to go underneath the saddles and bushings....did that come with your kit too?? or is this something new...thats all i'm trying to figure out.

rand49er
11-29-06, 06:17 PM
... I may have to shave some urethane on the bushing, but it should quiet the clunk. ...

Since the Hotchkis bar has a larger diameter, you may have to "shave" off a significant amount. Could work, though. I would really like to get those beefed up saddle brackets from Hotchkis. :rant2:

well, what i'm saying is they sent spacers with the kit...to go underneath the saddles and bushings....did that come with your kit too?? or is this something new...thats all i'm trying to figure out.

I think the spacers you're referring to are included because the saddle bracket supplied by Hotchkis is shaped differently than the OEM bracket. Whereas the Hotchkis bracket has ears at the same height, the GM bracket has one ear lower than the other; the spacer compensates for this and allows the Hotchkis bracket to work with the two-different-height bolt-down points on the car.

calicadi
11-29-06, 07:06 PM
I believe he's referring to the two flat steel pieces shipped with the collars that are meant to sit under each bushing and clamp (or bracket). They effectively raise the height of the bar to make the necessary clearence for the collars. In the photo you can see the spacer between the clamp and the frame rail. This was taken before I switched the collars to inside vs. outside the clamp as shown. I do not recommend putting the collars on the outside. Take the extra minutes and fumble a bit to get them set up on the inside.

austin
11-29-06, 07:30 PM
Yes... the spacers always came with the collars.. You won't get the collars on right without the extra height supplied by them. My setup is the exact same as the picture in the above post.. I am also waiting for the beefier mounts from Hotchkis.. But i won't be holding my breath!!

Dennisscars
11-29-06, 10:15 PM
I believe he's referring to the two flat steel pieces shipped with the collars that are meant to sit under each bushing and clamp (or bracket). They effectively raise the height of the bar to make the necessary clearence for the collars. In the photo you can see the spacer between the clamp and the frame rail. This was taken before I switched the collars to inside vs. outside the clamp as shown. I do not recommend putting the collars on the outside. Take the extra minutes and fumble a bit to get them set up on the inside.

:yeah:

I found my clunck was one of the end links had come loose at the sway bar. I didn't find it until I unloaded both sides at the same time. Now all is good.

I put the collars inboard.

rand49er
11-30-06, 07:26 AM
I believe he's referring to the two flat steel pieces shipped with the collars that are meant to sit under each bushing and clamp (or bracket). They effectively raise the height of the bar to make the necessary clearence for the collars. In the photo you can see the spacer between the clamp and the frame rail. This was taken before I switched the collars to inside vs. outside the clamp as shown. I do not recommend putting the collars on the outside. Take the extra minutes and fumble a bit to get them set up on the inside.:worship: Cali, you're right! I forgot about those. They lift the bar to provide clearance for the collars. I was thinking (or maybe NOT) of those square cross-section ones. :worship: :worship: :worship:

nikon
11-30-06, 09:03 AM
lol ya thats it ok...no I knew about the big block spacer...its in there...ok just did'nt know what the other 2 flat spacers were..but ok, now I know...

calicadi
11-30-06, 06:52 PM
Always happy to help.

Austin... keep us posted if you hear anything from Hotchkis. I found this place

http://www.suspension.com/s.b.bushings.htm

where you can order greasable brackets and bushings by size. Judging by the data sheets though, these brackets will suffer from the same problem... slotted for adjustability, there's not enough metal to prevent deformation. Mine are slightly deformed now, but apparently not getting any worse with use. (More like abuse on the autocross courses.) If I detect more, I'll get a fresh set and augment with heavy duty steel washers to see if that helps.

Flyin-Ryan
11-30-06, 10:02 PM
What is the advantage of putting the collars on the inside of the brackets? Either way isnt difficult, Im just curious.

rand49er
12-01-06, 06:13 AM
What is the advantage of putting the collars on the inside of the brackets? Either way isnt difficult, Im just curious.As the sway bar exits out of the saddle bracket, it starts to make a bend. If you put the collar there, it's just plain hard to tighten it down. On the inboard side of the collar, the bar is straight. Ah-h ... er-r ... I still need to do this. :hide:

calicadi
12-01-06, 11:23 PM
What is the advantage of putting the collars on the inside of the brackets? Either way isnt difficult, Im just curious.

In my case, I was getting some noise. Not sure if it was, as pointed out,- because the collars couldn't do a proper job on an area where the bar may not be true round - or - because outside of the bracket, the bar is off the centerline of the bar between the brackets, meaning the collar would rotate eccentrically and contact the bracket or in some way prevent 100% free rotation. I moved 'em inside and the noise went away so I'm declaring Mother of All Victories.

Oh and Ryan... cool avatar! Klatu... Barrada... Nicto.