: Possible new owner

Altered One
11-29-06, 12:57 PM
Hi guys, I'm new here and been looking over the boards briefly. I'm just finally graduating from school and getting a new car. I've basically narrowed it down to these:

04-05 Caddy SRX
04-05 Acura TL
06 Dodge Charger RT
03-05 Infiniti G35C

I always thought I was going to get an old Caddy (slammed 59 or 61), my moms g35c, a custom bagged truck or a big ole lifted deisel truck. Thinking about how I'm going to use it, the SRX seems perfect. I love the styling and I'm going to need something to go skiing with. Are there any common problems I should be aware of? My aunt had the XLR when it first came out but had to return it in a couple months because of the constant roof leaks. I don't want to be in the same boat.

I'm trying to spend $25k out the door. I've seen some on eBay going for that fully loaded. I'm going to assume that I won't find something that good around me or I'll have to wait some time before it does. What are some of the pros and cons of the options?

v6 vs v8: I tested a 2007 with the 6 cylinder. It seemed a little sluggish. I felt a little bad trying to really test the accelleration being that it only had 15 miles on it. The dealer was saying he doesn't have any v8s because the markup on it is minimal. He was saying that it adds $7-8K on the price.

RWD vs. AWD: I'll need the AWD for skiing and for the winter in NY. I'm planning on getting 20s or 22s for it. Will the AWD severly limit my choices or does the offset stay the same? I've seen some one here and they looked awesome.

UV: I love this thing but from what I'm reading it seems like it has some problems. Do you guys actually use it? Everyone that I know that has a sunroof thinks that they are great when they first buy the car but they never use it.

NAV: Same thing as the sunroof. They're a nice perk but I'm not sure how much I'll use it. My dad barely uses it on his Mercedes and when he does, it tells him dumb things (like getting off 95 for an exit, going on backroads and getting back on 95 going up to Vermont) I wouldn't get the Acura TL without it, it makes everything voice activated; does the nav add any good features like that to the SRX? I will be adding my subs to this. Has anyone done any stereo upgrades with the Nav? Has anyone "hacked" it so you can play DVD movies through it?

MRC: From what I read, everyone loves this, but I think this might be putting me over my budget. The dealer didn't know if the one I tested had it and I only took it for a 10 minute ride. Would you rather have: V6, awd with MRC or V8, awd without it? I'm used to harder rides (lowered and jacked up trucks) so I'm not as picky. The SRX is much bigger than I expected (I thought it was like the difference between a Blazer and a Tahoe) and I don't expect to be whipping it around like it's a sports car. Is it one of those things I'm going to have to see for my self and test with and without?

Sorry for the novel, I'm just trying to get some information. Thanks for any input.

robhersch
11-29-06, 07:10 PM
If buying used, suggest a vehicle history report, and check carefully; get the extended warranty (Cad dealers seem to offer great values); The extra $7K-$8K includes many other items (check the standard vs options to verify); I love the N*V8; note that AWD is NOT 4 wheel drive; we passed on the NAV; my wife loves the UltraView; a great vehicle. Good luck!

c5 rv
11-29-06, 07:25 PM
Welcome! If you're a skier, AWD is the way to go and I think the SRX would be great. My opinion on each question:

V6 v. V8: The V6 RWD is OK (what I have). I think the V6 AWD is sluggish. Others think it's fine. V8 AWD is bigger bucks and designed to run on 93 octane.

RWD v. AWD: I have an AWD GMC Sierra Denali for my winter driver. I talked to a guy yesterday who has an AWD Pontiac Vibe. He said he never realized how much difference AWD made until he pulled away from a light on icy roads. While he cruised away, all the other FWD cars were sliding all over the intersection. BTW, the AWD Vibe is a good choice to make a V6 AWD SRX seem like a speed demon.

UV: I've been a pretty vocal anti-UV, but am mellowing. You're right, a lot of folks think a sunroof is a great idea and open it maybe a few times a year. Cost per opening could be pretty steep. However, good luck finding a used V8 AWD unit or most V6 AWD units without UV. That's the way dealers like to order them.

Nav: Buy a portable GPS with battery & 12 v power that you can use in multiple cars, take on vacation, and carry with you.

MRC: While it may be a great option, it might be tough to find a used one since I don't thing dealers ordered many with the option.

Best of luck in your search. Try to get a Cadillac certified preowned for the warranty.

sgilbert
11-29-06, 09:22 PM
I have V8 N* and have NEVER put premium in it---87 all the way, and never a hick-up!

Love my UV---use it every chance I get!

Never a vehicle without NAV ever again! Use it even when I don't need it.

Love the MRC, but never drove an SRX without it. Never use manual shift, though.

Here in the snow belt, ya gotta have AWD. No need for snow tires either. (mostly)

N* is smooth, quiet, very powerful, and not much of a gas hog (14/20mpg)

dbknight
11-29-06, 09:45 PM
I have V8 N* and have NEVER put premium in it---87 all the way, and never a hick-up!

Love my UV---use it every chance I get!

Never a vehicle without NAV ever again! Use it even when I don't need it.

Love the MRC, but never drove an SRX without it. Never use manual shift, though.

Here in the snow belt, ya gotta have AWD. No need for snow tires either. (mostly)

N* is smooth, quiet, very powerful, and not much of a gas hog (14/20mpg)

DITTO :thumbsup:

Northern SRX
11-30-06, 05:51 AM
It sounds like you're not really sure what you want as the cars you name are each answering widely different questions: the Acura TL is probably one of the most sensible and well-built, near-luxury FWD family cars out there; the G35C is about beauty and Bimmer-like RWD-based handling but is somewhat less practical - certainly not the ultimate ski carrier; the Charger is today's take on old fashioned muscle and, even with traction control, is certainly not the answer to the skiing question; and, finally, the SRX is a handsome and upscale tall wagon which is as at home slope-side as it is at Home Depot, the Ballpark, or the Concert Hall.

Of all of these, the Acura and the SRX probably represent the best blend of practicality, fun-to-drive, luxury appointments, and surefootedness in snowy climes. The SRX is probably more extreme in each of these areas (although some would debate the luxury and fun-to-drive angles) and, with a V8 and MRC, is a blast to drive. In the SRX, you get it all - you really have to drive one to understand just how capable it is.

Like another poster in this thread, I too am in somewhat of a snowbelt and I have to say that it's worth it to go with snow tires - an AWD SRX with snows is simply unbelievable on snow and ice.

Good luck however you decide - they all sound like nice choices to me.

GMJim
11-30-06, 10:34 AM
Being a GM employee, and part of the design team for SRX, I may be partial,
But I love this vehicle. I have an 04. I owned full size pick ups for 10 years before the SRX.
I haul a foursome of golfers around, plenty of room for ski's with the seat folded down, hockey bag and sticks with no problem. Last year I replaced all the interior doors in our house, and a door slab fit w/o a problem. Try getting a large TV in a Charger!!!!
I have the V6 which is plenty for me. Love & use the ultra v all the time.
No AWD or MAG, and have no problem with Michigan winters. You may not like the rocker panel on a 04/05. That has since been fixed in 06. All in all a awesome utility vehicle............and the ladies like it 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck with your decision. At least buy American.

ckrichards
11-30-06, 11:28 AM
NAV: Same thing as the sunroof. They're a nice perk but I'm not sure how much I'll use it. My dad barely uses it on his Mercedes and when he does, it tells him dumb things (like getting off 95 for an exit, going on backroads and getting back on 95 going up to Vermont) I wouldn't get the Acura TL without it, it makes everything voice activated; does the nav add any good features like that to the SRX? I will be adding my subs to this. Has anyone done any stereo upgrades with the Nav? Has anyone "hacked" it so you can play DVD movies through it?

The NAV unit is voice activated, but I'm not sure how well it works. I don't use it. I also turned off the voice in the turn-by-turn directions.

The 04s and I think some 05s could be hacked by entering the 1791 code to watch DVDs while moving, but that has been disabled in later radios.

I think the Nav unit, pre 07, is good. Works just as well as portable Garmin units. My father has the same NAV in his XLR and doesn't find it very useful. He hasn't complained about the NAV in his 06 DTS though, which I believe is the same NAV units going into the 07 SRXs.

With that said I agree with C5, that having a portable is nice. I like being able to make backups on my PC and move it between vehicles. You have to look at the portable on the dash though, and not the "built-in" look. After 3 years my SRX has never lost power, and therfore never lost my stored memory points. So I'm not sure how much you really need to backup the memory points. If you have only one vehicle and like the "finished" look the factory Nav would be the way to go.

TSS
11-30-06, 12:37 PM
My 2 cents:

V-8 is the way to go - Don't need to use premium.

MRC: It rules

UV: It is much more than a sunroof. I use mine all the time. Rarely used the sunroof in my Tahoe. Plus even when closed, very cool to have a FULL glass roof.

AWD: Not a choice for me - I had to have it. It is my only AWD vehicle and I travel in the snow a lot (Michigan)

Nav: I like it. It is easy to use. It is neat to look at. Is it necessary? Probably not. ALL of the above options are more important to me.

Altered One
12-03-06, 04:57 PM
Thanks for all the input. I think I pretty much have it narrowed down to the TL and this. I'm trying to spend 25k out the door. I've seen some loaded 2004's with the Northstar around me going for about that but it was never from an actual Caddy dealer. I'm not sure if I'm going to have to settle for the v6 with more of the options.
If I want to spend 25k, it seems like I have to decide to get:
a. 04 v6, UV, AWD, (nav would be nice, don't think I'll find one with MRC) from a Caddy dealer with warranty
b. 04 N*v8, UV and AWD from a dealer w/o warranty. It'll probably take longer to find it
c. 04 N*v8 loaded from one of those people on cars.com,autotrader,etc.

I've never been a fan of stealerships for repairs and try to avoid them at all costs. If I get the warranty I guess that will have to change. Will it cover any problem that I can encounter or does it have many restrictions?

Has anyone put in an aftermarket radio? I've hear that changing the radio is a nightmare in Cadillacs, how is it with the SRX? My friend has a CTS and he told me that only a dealer can install the radio, other wise it will will void his warranty. Is it the same for the SRX?

I really like the SRX but now I'm also considering a Yukon Denali, Escalade and Avalance/EXT. I'm confused...