11-29-06, 11:58 AM
http://www.fquick.com/videos/viewvideo.php?id=520

railven
11-29-06, 12:09 PM
That was a riot.

[Wish it didn't take me like almost a minute to download.]

gothicaleigh
11-29-06, 12:21 PM
I had a feeling that was about how well that system was going to work. It's a nice enough idea, but is still a bit ahead of it's time. Not even going into the issues the car had manuevering or how it creeps along while doing so, it looks to take almost a full minute to even set the Nav up to park. It took the guy in the video about 2 seconds to do the whole process manually.

This is going to be Lexus' iDrive. Technology just for the sake of technology does not belong in a car.

Rey Rey 650
11-29-06, 12:21 PM
ahahaha...I knew it was shady..Funny video

railven
11-29-06, 12:27 PM
I had a feeling that was about how well that system was going to work. It's a nice enough idea, but is still a bit ahead of it's time. Not even going into the issues the car had manuevering or how it creeps along while doing so, it looks to take almost a full minute to even set the Nav up to park. It took the guy in the video about 2 seconds to do the whole process manually.

This is going to be Lexus' iDrive. Technology just for the sake of technology does not belong in a car.

Imagine the future where they allow open programming of such a feature. This car is for people with money, not us poor people circling the block looking for an open spot, who most likely have a reserved parking space. You get to it, start the recording feature and park it. This is saved to a slot in the memory so when you get there, if the spot is always the same say there is no carriages or obstructions, you just get out of your car briefcase in hand and hit a key combination on your car's controller. As you walk away the car parks itself, turns off, and sets the alarm.

Ahh the future. I'm still waiting for my Jetson's car! That was 2002 man!!! [Using Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law reference]

gothicaleigh
11-29-06, 12:35 PM
I'm not saying they are far off when doing this. I do believe automated cars is the next big direction the auto industry will go. It's just kind of half-baked at the moment. Maybe the technology isn't there yet (which I believe it is; it's just a matter of being crafty enough to implement it) or maybe it's only designed for parallel parking (if you carefully watch the video, that seems to be the angle the car keeps trying to take and how Lexus advertises it).

Whatever the case, with auto-park, radar cruise control, self-correcting stability systems, and other features already in production cars, the only element missing from full automation is a highway system designed to accomodate it.

It's not the future yet, but we're creeping closer.

LittleB
11-29-06, 12:36 PM
That was the funniest thing I've ever seen! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA! :histeric: :rofl: thanks for sharing...I am forwarding this on to all of my friends!

railven
11-29-06, 12:44 PM
When the future arrives I just hope I'm 1. still alive and 2. capable of playing with the new toys.

Lady Danielle
11-29-06, 12:56 PM
OMG..too funny

90Brougham350
11-29-06, 12:56 PM
After watching this video, I've come to the conclusion this is actually a time-saver. If you never took 20 minutes to learn how to park a car when you were 15 and had a permit, it'll save you time. Accidents on the other hand, probably not. Worthless. What a waste of technology and extra cost.

Stoneage_Caddy
11-29-06, 01:04 PM
so the toyota is as bad a driver as a .....toyota driver .....imagine that

jonnyd
11-29-06, 02:54 PM
omg...there was like 4 open spaces...how does it not pull into one..hahahahaha dude this video was mega funny!!

Jesda
11-29-06, 03:22 PM
Technology should help you drive, not do the driving. Send this heap back to Japan!

Stoneage_Caddy
11-29-06, 03:23 PM
along with every other toyota ever made !!!!!

Sandy
11-29-06, 07:13 PM
I can't stand Toyotas, Lexi and honDUHs. Acuras also. I shoped (don't tell ANYONE) an Acura RL before buying my Town Car. What a joke. 'Ya, okay it has 4WD, but a six cylinder in a car almost as big as the Town Car? So, okay, I expected similiar interior room. No Way. Once seated in the driver's seat, the R/L has no more room that their TSX ! Rear leg room is akin to a Camaro. STILL sticking with my Town Car & my Sixty Special.
IF IF IF I ever win lottery, THEN it's a XJ Vanden Plas Super-8 or an A8 2+2 W-12. I just don't get all hot & sweaty over these Asian cars...Well, except for the Infiniti Q45. That was an equal to what I have.

People who cannot park, should not drive. Not that complicated an idea.

davesdeville
11-29-06, 11:01 PM
or maybe it's only designed for parallel parking (if you carefully watch the video, that seems to be the angle the car keeps trying to take and how Lexus advertises it).

The guy in the video did say they were using perpendicular parking mode...

90Brougham350
11-29-06, 11:20 PM
I'd love to know what the marginal cost per vehicle Lexus had to pay to develop this was. This is definately a push-marketing strategy; nobody in their right mind sat down and wrote Lexus a letter saying how much they needed this function and how much life sucked without it. I can understand heat and message seats and rear sun-shades and tire pressure monitors, but this goes beyond stupid.

c5 rv
11-30-06, 09:59 AM
If the self-park feature runs your car into something / someone (like the minivan in the video), are the resulting damage repairs and insurance claim(s) covered under your new car warranty?

dp102288
11-30-06, 12:04 PM
^^ Good question.

I loved the vid. Thanks for posting!