: Next Gen V may have a Cast Iron Diff that we can retro fit

trukk
11-29-06, 09:14 AM
The title pretty much says it all.

Over on the other forum: YANK (from Yank Converters) posted that he's seen the new cast iron diff. I pm'd him and got some details:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5961741&postcount=28

I'm cross posting here, in case others haven't seen this yet. MOD, please beat me a new one if this type of post isn't allowed :D

I PM'd YANK, and got the following info on the cast iron diff (posted with his permission):

Originally Posted by Yank

We have seen the new cast iron diff that is to be used in the new CTS-V
it is much beefier and can be made to work in the early model chassis.
I can not release photos as it is not released into final production at this time.
but the car and powertrain is quite a step up.
Very interesting.

-Chris

rand49er
11-29-06, 09:24 AM
... it ... can be made to work in the early model chassis. ...This would be great news, but the phrase "can be made to work" caught my eyes.

svassh
11-29-06, 11:14 AM
I'll try to keep mine from blowing till the cast iron one is available :)

keeksv
11-29-06, 11:55 AM
This would be great news, but the phrase "can be made to work" caught my eyes.

Yeah, may not help us in retro-ville...Wondering if the chassis setup/frame etc.. is significantly different in the proposed new model. Anyone know that?
And not sure how easy it would be to hang a beefy hunk of cast iron in a space designed for a hunk of aluminum.

I saw that guys (Yank's) post earlier and wondered if he was serious..offered no details in the thread.

trukk
11-29-06, 12:30 PM
Yeah, may not help us in retro-ville...Wondering if the chassis setup/frame etc.. is significantly different in the proposed new model. Anyone know that?
And not sure how easy it would be to hang a beefy hunk of cast iron in a space designed for a hunk of aluminum.

I saw that guys (Yank's) post earlier and wondered if he was serious..offered no details in the thread.

I thought it was weird that no one jumped on it and started asking questions, so I figured I would (? WTH ?)

Can anyone here with some GM connections try and get a confirmation? Yank is a failry large outfit, it don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities that they may have some inside knowledge.

Finally, I wouldn't expect that they would want to make anything too big, which may explain why they just moved from aluminum to cast iron. More strength in the same sized package. The car is already a mamouth beast, so whats 10-20 more lbs over an aluminum package?

Who knows. I guess this is all just speculation until we get more details. It does dovetail with that cast iron unit that they put in the SAE100 STS last year though.

If this does come to pass, I think I'll take all credit for it, since I asked them to give us cast iron, in this 'open letters to cadillac' forum thread:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/open-letters-cadillac-corporate/80619-cts-v-differential-issue.html#post823621

I mean they really read that, and take action right? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, wasn't Rick floating a rumor like this about a year ago? I guess if this was real, we'd have to give him a big-up.

-Chris

keeksv
11-29-06, 12:40 PM
A lot of what kills the drivetrain components in this car is the interaction of weight and power, esp..from a dig. I hope that in addition to the differential carrier, they will strengthen the half shafts too, etc..etc..otherwise the problems will just move upstream or downstream.

I remember Rick saying something about cast iron, too. And Marty, of course, but I think he wanted to fab his own.

ronr
11-29-06, 12:48 PM
While I haven't gotten confirmation on the next gen CTS-V diff being cast iron, I do know that it's an electronically controlled locking diff so unless Stealth is planning on hacking a next gen ECU so we can add the wiring to control the new diff I'm not sure it's real viable as an option. Certainly not a trivial swap anyway.

p.s. did you note the STS SAE100 cast iron diff had wires going to it also :)

keeksv
11-29-06, 01:32 PM
While I haven't gotten confirmation on the next gen CTS-V diff being cast iron, I do know that it's an electronically controlled locking diff so unless Stealth is planning on hacking a next gen ECU so we can add the wiring to control the new diff I'm not sure it's real viable as an option. Certainly not a trivial swap anyway.

Electronically controlled locking diff takes the proposed swap out of the "trivial" realm and into the "might as well buy the whole new car instead" realm...

Thanks, Ron, for the input...

heavymetals
11-29-06, 02:38 PM
Whatever happened to the forum member who was gonna talk to a cast iron vendor?

Ahhh, WISHWARE. :yawn:

I am kinda suprised that GM performance parts or GETRAG doesn't offer a "high performance" upgrade.

They would have a ready made market for at least 20 :rolleyes: (LOL)

Florian
11-29-06, 02:45 PM
Cast iron is available in retrofit from CTSV05 (Doug). He will be using the C3 Vette rear on my V and will be making the kit for our generation V's. New half shafts, solid mount and 1 piece driveshaft will be installed. Should be reasonably priced and readily available. Details soon as I get back from vaca and Doug gets my V to play with.

F

V-Max
11-29-06, 03:40 PM

Sounds like it might be an open diff. With use of the brakes to control wheel spin aka Mercedes and their automatic trans. Then the computer will have full control of everything reducing the stress on the drivetrain. With AMG, M, and Audi's S all being influenced with some type of manual matic, figure Caddy will not be left behind with the only manual trans.

Figure on mild updates on the diff and exterior enhancements for the new. CTS model as this is what the General usually does, nothing major.

Norm

urbanski
11-29-06, 03:42 PM
:sidegasp: :gasp2: :gasp: :gaspspin: :gothimanic:

trukk
02-18-09, 09:04 PM
I must be like Creskin or something!

Failure points though, because it don't fit.

Ohh well.

-Chris

thebigjimsho
02-18-09, 11:59 PM
you're such a douche...

lollygagger8
02-19-09, 09:10 AM
I had a chubby for a sec, then I saw the thread was from '06 :(

Lotsa hate coming from bigjim lately, whats up with that Boss? Go get some hot girls in your limo and take us some pics! That'll cheer you up....or maybe that'll cheer me up :2thumbs:

nmaier2201
02-19-09, 11:25 AM
Ditto Lollly... I was about to post Ahh more vaporware! Then I saw the date as well....

That's just what I wanted..... bravo... you raised my hopes and dashed them most expertly.

trukk
02-19-09, 01:07 PM
you're such a douche...

I learned from the best :D

-Chris

thebigjimsho
02-20-09, 06:24 AM
I had a chubby for a sec, then I saw the thread was from '06 :(

Lotsa hate coming from bigjim lately, whats up with that Boss? Go get some hot girls in your limo and take us some pics! That'll cheer you up....or maybe that'll cheer me up :2thumbs:Thank you, Mr Sensitive. FYI, me and Chirs go way back...

lollygagger8
02-20-09, 09:15 AM
I'm sure you do. Now get those hot chicks in your limo pics up so we can get back to business :2thumbs:

thebigjimsho
02-20-09, 11:15 AM
Not too many bachelorettes book Town Cars...

lollygagger8
02-20-09, 11:23 AM

Pull up in the V then big pimpin!

thebigjimsho
02-20-09, 11:39 AM
so many people ask why I don't use the V for business. "It's a Cadillac, right? Why not?" :nono:

onebadcad
02-20-09, 11:42 AM
Trukk,
You are a major douchesak, first having URB create a thread yesterday and then back date it from two years ago, and then doing the self-resurrection thingy, what a complete arsehat,,,

Do it again bro', this Forum needs help/life/quality threeds and poasts.

thebigjimsho
02-20-09, 11:49 AM
Trukk,
You are a major douchesak, first having URB create a thread yesterday and then back date it from two years ago, and then doing the self-resurrection thingy, what a complete arsehat,,,

Do it again bro', this Forum needs help/life/quality threeds and poasts.bumpz time!

onebadcad
02-20-09, 12:49 PM
so many people ask why I don't use the V for business. "It's a Cadillac, right? Why not?" :nono:

'cause so few people are worthy to ride in a/your V!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lollygagger8
02-20-09, 01:07 PM
No harm in using your V to get sum trim :lildevil:

50 4Ever
02-20-09, 01:10 PM

Come on Jimmy, you can't lie to us, your Tank Limo is crawling with chicks... :histeric:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a186/504ever/tanklimo.jpg

thebigjimsho
02-20-09, 01:45 PM
Come on Jimmy, you can't lie to us, your Tank Limo is crawling with chicks... :histeric:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a186/504ever/tanklimo.jpgmeh...

Here IS a client of mine...

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/973/07_stacy_keibler.jpg

50 4Ever
02-20-09, 01:56 PM
meh...

Here IS a client of mine...

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/973/07_stacy_keibler.jpg

Need an extra driver???? :lildevil:

thebigjimsho
02-20-09, 01:58 PM
Alas, I haven't seen her in years. The WWE is one of our accounts...

lollygagger8
02-20-09, 02:56 PM
Alas, I haven't seen her in years. The WWE is one of our accounts...

I would be on her Tag Team

liqidvenom
02-20-09, 03:27 PM
I see what you did there...

thebigjimsho
02-20-09, 08:33 PM
really? you do?