: Looking for a V - What's a Sunroof Worth?

chipenstein
11-28-06, 05:49 PM
Resale wise, that is. I've been looking for a used V for a while now, and I found a nice one. It's a 2004 silver w/grey interior, no mods, original owner, clean carfax, 15,000 miles in excellent condition. I believe I can get it for $30K, but it doesn't have the sunroof option. Personally, I hate sunroofs but I realize I'm in the minority on this one and when it comes time to sell the beast, do you think I'll take much of a hit because it doesn't have one since they seem pretty popular? And 30K seems like a decent price to me...do you agree?

jnrandall
11-28-06, 06:03 PM
Well in late September, I got my 04 V with 25000 miles for 31831.00. It sounds exactly like yours but WITH a sunroof. This purchase was in New Jersey.

svassh
11-28-06, 07:11 PM
You're gonna take a beating on resale if you keep it for at least a year anyway.

BowenCT
11-28-06, 07:12 PM
For what it's worth, I wish my V didn't have a sunroof.

ctsvflorida
11-28-06, 08:14 PM
I do not have a sunroof and purposely found one without it! I was told I would take a beating without one as well and being in the car biz for years, I figured as much too but...listen to these facts!

The guy before me stated he wished he didn't have one. My friend has one and drives hard with many turns and his roof looks like an ocean from the flexing of the metal around the roof. He wishes the same, no sunroof! Many people on here who have gone over 130mph will tell you that you that the roof will suck in to the car because of pressure and then rattles like a sheetbox after that! I consistantly go over 130 with no worries!

I didn't want one because I knew that performance cars should not have one and that these things would happen although I had no idea of the metal around them getting deformed from hard turns, but that's because I am not a turn guy. When you go to sell your car, people will be much more aware of these problems and will not want the roof if they intend to drive the car like a sports car. For others that drive easy and just enjoy the V, they can have the sunroof with little worries other than a little rattling here and there! As for me, if my sunroof rattled...I would sell the car instantly! Hence...NO SUNROOF! :tisk:

P.S. My car has 25k mi. and not one sound comes from my interior, not a ratlle or a squeak, etc. nothing!

CIWS
11-28-06, 08:25 PM
Resale wise, that is.

Well not that it really means much, but go up on kbb.com and see what price difference it shows between a model with a powered sunroof and without.

zozmanCTS-V
11-28-06, 08:59 PM
(About a sunroof) ...Many people on here who have gone over 130mph will tell you that you that the roof will suck in to the car because of pressure and then rattles like a sheetbox after that! I consistantly go over 130 with no worries! ...

I have a sunroof on mine and love it. But I also have stickers on the glass that say "Warning--Do not lower windows with speeds in excess of 125 mph." :rolleyes:

Randy

chipenstein
11-28-06, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the thoughts guys, but it looks like this one is not to be. I've been conversing with the owner's father-in-law, who said the interior was grey. Fine by me, I like black first, then grey. I get out there to see the car, and the interior's "light neutral", which is GM speak for tan.:thepan: I'm just not a brown interior guy, so the hunt is back on.:bigroll:

Ah well, this just means there's a better car out there for me somewhere, right?:)

fig32
11-28-06, 10:46 PM
I have an 05 silver with black interior that I am about to sell/trade. It is mint with a corsa exhaust, clear bra and GSD3 Goodyear tires. It has 25K miles and has the sunroof. If you are interested shoot me a PM or an email to fig32@hotmail.com. I sold my vette and bought the V, now need an SUV for work and will lease one. I am going to buy another vette instead of keeping the V. Thanks!

Mark

CTS-V420
11-29-06, 01:20 AM
although many ppl claim that it squeaks and have some problems with it, I LOVE MINE!
especially bc it looks BADASS when you have it popped open, it finishes the front when that think is up!

rand49er
11-29-06, 06:15 AM
I have an 05 silver with black interior that I am about to sell/trade. It is mint with a corsa exhaust, clear bra and GSD3 Goodyear tires. It has 25K miles and has the sunroof. If you are interested shoot me a PM or an email to fig32@hotmail.com. I sold my vette and bought the V, now need an SUV for work and will lease one. I am going to buy another vette instead of keeping the V. Thanks!

MarkHere you go! An '05 with 25k is not bad at all. The clear bra has protected the front end, and the Corsa takes about $1k off your future mod list. If it's got a 6-spd trans, DO IT! :bouncy:

Silver Dollar
11-29-06, 03:44 PM
I think most folks (including me) bought a CTS-V because it's a 4 door Corvette.

I could give a hang about a sun roof.

calicadi
11-29-06, 06:14 PM
Besides what FLA points out as detractors, if you're tall, you probably won't be able to track a sunroofed car comfortably, if at all. The sunroof takes enough room to make wearing a helmet near impossible.

Koooop
11-29-06, 06:40 PM
I don't much like sunroofs, when I buy a car if it gots one it gots one, if it don't it don't. That car is cheap as hell, what are you waiting for! Go buy it! At $30,000 for a LOW miles car I wouldn't think twice. Heck, as cheap as that it go buy a big old Convertible to go with it!

zozmanCTS-V
11-29-06, 11:19 PM
Resale wise, that is. I've been looking for a used V for a while now, and I found a nice one...but it doesn't have the sunroof option. Personally, I hate sunroofs but ... when it comes time to sell the beast, do you think I'll take much of a hit because it doesn't have one since they seem pretty popular?

About $565. According to KBB.com, a 2005 CTS-V in excellent condition with average mileage brings $39,865 with the sunroof, $39,300 without. Ripples included. :rolleyes:

Randy

davesdeville
11-30-06, 12:09 AM
The guy before me stated he wished he didn't have one. My friend has one and drives hard with many turns and his roof looks like an ocean from the flexing of the metal around the roof. He wishes the same, no sunroof! Many people on here who have gone over 130mph will tell you that you that the roof will suck in to the car because of pressure and then rattles like a sheetbox after that! I consistantly go over 130 with no worries!

WTF. I don't think my ETC is of particularly high build quality compared to a CTS, and I've autocrossed the hell out of that car with no sunroof-related problems. :eek:

Albertan
11-30-06, 12:37 AM
I don't know about the price difference but for me, I wanted a sunroof, it was a deal breaker for me. When you are buying a car that comes with every option, why not get EVERY option. It will make it easier to sell. Just like a few years ago with air conditioning, just makes it easier to sell. I would think the Black interior would be best as well, easier to sell.
Bruce

Kadonny
11-30-06, 07:51 AM
I I consistantly go over 130 with no worries!

You do? That amazes me. Where in the US can you consistently go 130 and not risk being busted big time.

Around here if you get caught going over 80 you are in deep do-do. I think the highest I ever had the car was 85. 130 just shocks me.

Neeless to say, I don't have to worry about my sunroof at those speeds.

Rey
11-30-06, 09:16 AM
The sunroof adds about 80 lb in the worst possible place.

ctsvflorida
11-30-06, 12:00 PM
You do? That amazes me. Where in the US can you consistently go 130 and not risk being busted big time.

Around here if you get caught going over 80 you are in deep do-do. I think the highest I ever had the car was 85. 130 just shocks me.

Neeless to say, I don't have to worry about my sunroof at those speeds.

For the sunroof guys who drive hard there is a new thread about the sunroof ripples and it is unfortunate for those guys.

The DTS guy, I believe your car is a bit more solid than the lighter V or cts and cornering is not nearly as hard as the V. Some of these guys have pulled 1g in a V! I am not a turn guy and pulled .94g's so these guys must pull some serious G's! Especially Tony Orlando!

As far as goin fast! I went 152mph last night messin with a small lexus 2 door and did from 120-140mph for 10 miles on my return run with a bike! How do I do it? I am in Ocala with open roads and do it with not much traffic. I look for spots that are good and I have NEVER had a speeding ticket! Ever! And please don't say that I jinxed myself as I have been sayin this for 10 years already! So, when it is time, I'll take it like a man! Later and keep speedin!

P.S. I have to go the same route as yesterday in about an hour which is 80 miles and I am sure I will go 130 plus again! My car has 26k mi. of 95% highway driving and that is prolly a reason why it still drives like it was when new with not even the slightest of a rattle or anything loose. No bumps! :)

jimbo1320
12-01-06, 12:58 AM
I really like the sunroof. Use it all the time. However if the right deal is there and your going to hang on to the car for awhile go for it.

keep the top down and cruise

ctsvflorida
12-03-06, 08:34 AM
Just a correction about the car I was playin with on the highway, it was one of those small Infiniti's not the Lexus! Mag says it goes 150mph.