: Track Junkies....SS Brake Lines...6 Piston Calipers...

Chef
11-28-06, 05:20 PM
Anyone have a lead on a 6 piston that will fit our stock wheels? Baer Mono? Also, who has put in Stainless Steel brake lines? Part number & info if desired.:thumbsup:

Was losing the battle in session 4 in the afternoon with my brakin':crybaby:

Thanks,
Chef

50 4Ever
11-28-06, 06:01 PM
Velose has/had SS lines.

rgd
11-28-06, 06:07 PM
HI Chef,

I'm still stopping with OEM (Gold) calipers, but I have replaced my brake lines with a stainless set from Tire Rack. $152.00... Goodrich Gstop, just follow the bouncing ball to the order page; there is no part number listed that I can find.
The set is somewhat generic but works fine.

thanks,
rgd

rgd
11-28-06, 06:08 PM
Velose has Tire Rack also...

I know Brembo has a better Caliper and Wilwood has a Caliper set that is 6 piston. Both are monoblock (one-piece) but I don't know what the part numbers or any details.

50 4Ever
11-28-06, 06:13 PM
Check these out. (http://www.nyxracing.com/brakes-brake-kits-c-30_1975_4494_4495.html). They even have an 8-piston setup.

Chef
11-28-06, 06:43 PM
good stuff!

Those eights are crazy!:alchi: :eek: me likey!

05CTS
11-28-06, 08:39 PM
I would be worried about pad thickness above all other things. 1 reason why I like Brembo over Wilwoods. Wilwoods are nice but if you race they are junk IMO. Pad compound is also a big factor. Never run drilled rotors unless they are casted that way and if you race stay w/solid rotors or slotted.

thebigjimsho
11-28-06, 10:08 PM
I had Wilwood 4 pistons on my SHO and they were pretty kickass at trackdays.

As for the number of pistons, that's a small reason for improvement on brakes. Remember, the M5 and M6 has some pretty incredible brakes and those are single pistons! A lot has to be said for brake design and balance. Slapping huge, multi-piston calipers may give you greater braking force, but it may do very little on the track.

Personally, I think improving brake compound and pedal feel through SS lines is where it's at. That and going for lighter rotors. The brakes were so well designed from the factory, I'm not touching mine unless there's a number of guinea pigs who are experienced trackers who swear by a certain upgrade.

V-Max
11-29-06, 12:07 AM
Chef, sounds like the fluid got over heated if it took until the later part of the day. Not unless your lap times really dropped! :)

I try this first as an alternative to investing a comma and adding weight:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1554715

Remember never start a track day with less than 50% pad and older than 6 month fluid.

Norm

Chef
11-29-06, 10:27 AM
Chef, sounds like the fluid got over heated if it took until the later part of the day. Not unless your lap times really dropped! :)

I try this first as an alternative to investing a comma and adding weight:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1554715 (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1554715)

Remember never start a track day with less than 50% pad and older than 6 month fluid.

Norm

First two sessions were great and maggie loved it - 60 degrees and no worries. Got a little hot as expected later in the day and was getting a little loose on my street tires therefore braking slightly more which did impact my times during my last session.

V710's are next...

That duct system looks killer!

Thanks,
Chef

2003RC51
11-29-06, 12:53 PM
As for duct systems I found these while looking around. I dont like how much they neck down for tire clearance but it seems like it might help some. Might not be too hard to adapt to the V either.

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/pc-78-25-corvette-97-04-c5zo6-front-brake-cooling-duct-extensions.aspx

at $300 it seems a little steep but maybe they can be found cheaper elsewhere.

Dreamin
11-29-06, 01:24 PM
Was losing the battle in session 4 in the afternoon with my brakin'

The stock calipers on this car are phenomenal... Even the dust seals on my bright gold calipers are still in perfect shape.
What pads you using? If stockers... you need new pads, not new calipers. Try PFC '01s.

And rgd's cooling ducts are great.

50 4Ever
11-29-06, 01:37 PM
V710's are next...

What size in the V710's are you thinking about?

Todd TCE
11-29-06, 03:07 PM
None of Wilwood's calipers are "mono block" design. There are but a couple of those in the industry from Brembo and AP. The cost is just stupid. The Wilwoods and most every caliper out is a two piece, split body design. If you see bolts holding a caliper together; it's no mono block part.

Moving from your Brembo four pot to a street caliper six pot of any mfg is a lateral move and aside from the requirement being a rotor size larger than the Brembo might fit, there'd be very little reason to do so. Piston qty is second to piston area. Granted you might claim better pad wear yet in a six pot over the four but it's hardly worth the expense. And most if not all aftermarket sixes will also require completely different brackets. Can you say "more money"?

About the only two reasons I can see someone moving from the current Brembo to an aftermarket part is for hard core track use. There are plenty of calipes out there that are more suited for track use than the stock ones. Expect to pay about $3k per unit for these calipers then another $300 for brackets....

The other reason is pad choice. Most of the 'other' guys offer some extensive line of pads for track use. High Mu and fast wearing rotors are the norm but man do they stop. All day long too.

So unless you plan on some 16" front rotors for your 24s (!) then I'd say keep what you have and consider some ss hoses for a slight increase in pedal feedback.

Chef
11-29-06, 04:06 PM
Good stuff. I hear ya. Not knocking the set up just looking to upgrade components - SS lines are an obvious hit as are pads. A dual set up 6/4 may also be in order as well.:thumbsup:

What size in the V710's are you thinking about?

I'll need to flare the rears for a r 285 set up and of course wider wheels.

At the end of the day this ride just may be gutted or may pick up a lotus or dedicated track car. Going through the motions now...:bighead:

Chef

50 4Ever
11-29-06, 05:00 PM

I'll need to flare the rears for a r 285 set up and of course wider wheels.

Chef

The only sizes in 18" I can find are 245/35, 285/30 and a 315/35. Next year they will produce a 245/45 and a 305/30. Use this site (http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos) to see the difference between these tires and stock. I really do not want to go with a tire that is smaller in circumference.

Oh well, they looked like good tires.

:thumbsup:

05CTS
11-29-06, 10:36 PM
Do the V's run DOT5? If not that may be an option as well.