: Anyone with aftermarket HU and BOSE Gold. Popping from speakers?

rl256
11-28-06, 02:00 PM
I was told on here that this is normal but there has to be a way to fix it. I was searching google for it and found someone who installed a HU with his stock amp in a ford. he said he found out that the start voltage for his stock amp was 5V and the HU was putting out 12V, so he added a 1.5k ohm resistor and it fixed the popping. Does anyone know what the start voltage for the BOSE amps are?
thanks
Ryan

CadillacSTS42005
11-28-06, 04:44 PM
Ford never used bose
bose is different than anything else period because bose runs strictly 1 ohm
bose does this because they are extremely anal about their name and does not want anyone messing or adding to their systems, messing up the acoustics.
this info comes 1st hand from a bose rep when i emailed bose about why they run their systems at 1 ohm, which in my opinion is the main reason for the failure of the bose drivers and why i say the boxes and amps from bose are great and the drivers blow literally

rl256
11-28-06, 07:04 PM
so do they pop b/c they are 1 ohm speakers. if i got some 2 ohms and hooked them to the stock amps would they still pop?

CadillacSTS42005
11-28-06, 07:24 PM
no
they pop because the amps go off then back on
i was stating how bose is anal and different and thats why it wasnt comparable to the problem ford has in that you prob cant solve it the same way the guy with the ford did...

rl256
11-28-06, 07:33 PM
ok thanks for the help. i guess santa will be bringing me an amp and some new speakers for christmas. I was hoping to just get a new hu and not an entire system, bc the speaker actually sound better with the new HU. they have less distortion at full volume.

CadillacSTS42005
11-28-06, 07:37 PM
new speaks WILL NOT fix the problem
only a complete system replacement will
bose amps tuner box speakers cannot be used
many ppl have said that, that being the speakers sound alot better with a new hu, the bose system works like this, think of an aftermarket amp with a gain nob. your radios volume knob now acts like a gain nob.

the727kid
11-28-06, 07:49 PM
Ground your HU to the frame (sand it down to shiny metal) if it pops turning on and off.

Problem Solved.

CadillacSTS42005
11-28-06, 07:50 PM
kids got a point
you can try that
but ive herd that this is always gonna be a problem

the727kid
11-28-06, 07:54 PM
I know for a fact that turn on and turn off pops are ground issues. Pops between songs and stations is can be a different issues though.

creeker
11-28-06, 08:11 PM
I went through this with my 92 eldo. you cannot just get a new amp. and speakers,each bose speaker has it"s own amp.very expensive to replace.
I ended up putting in a whole new system. non bose.

CadillacSTS42005
11-28-06, 08:29 PM
and i with my 97
it was expensive because of what i bought for the car
heck for 300 bucks i can get you the whole system, hu fit kit speakers and QUALITY stuff

creeker
11-28-06, 08:42 PM
Back again,my wife called me for dinner,believe I'm as tight with a buck as anyone,if there was a way to repair it I would have,bose is not compatible with anything else,when you start piece replacing, something else goes wrong,you cant even use the wiring for your new speakers, and you will need a new antenna lead right from radio to antenna.In the long run I think's it easier to replace whole system,it's not that hard and will cost a lot less in the long run. good luck.