: More oil consumption

j64vette
03-04-04, 03:50 PM
Hello all, first post though I have been reading for sometime. I bought a '96 Eldo Touring coupe about three months ago (my first caddy). Within a week of purchase I changed the oil. Wanted a reference point. I was rather surprised when I was having to add oil so often. more than 1 quart every 1000 miles. I found this forum and after reading many posts on this subject I have been just adding oil as needed. Recently I read a post by bbobynski (spelling?) regarding leaks. When I'm under the car I notice the bottom of the pan is slick and wet. but there is never an oil spot on the ground under the car. At my next oil change I plan on changing the o rings at the filter adapter. All this to get my current question. I would like to order parts from GMpartsdirect. But I can't figure out how to obtain part nuimbers. Is there any on-line source for GM part numbers? How does an average do it yourself mechanic get this kind of info? Thanks for all your help thus far. Great forum.

Lawrence
03-04-04, 04:15 PM
As far as I know, no. I just bought some parts from www.partszoneonline.com and they are terrific. There a GM dealer in PA. Two guys in the parts dept., Bill Jr & Sr. You can call them toll free and get the part no.'s if the parts aren't listed on the website.Then place the order online if you want. Best prices I could find too, so you can't go wrong.

JimD
03-04-04, 05:28 PM
While you have that filter adapter off, reach up in there and put a wrench on the two crankshaft position sensors. They are another potential source of oil drips.

growe3
03-04-04, 07:50 PM
While you have that filter adapter off, reach up in there and put a wrench on the two crankshaft position sensors. They are another potential source of oil drips.
Caution; if the ignition sensors are like the ones in my 93' the bolt only keeps them from falling out. They are sealed with O-rings. If they show signs of leaking you normally need to just replace the O-rings.

-George