: How long did your brakes last?

svassh
11-28-06, 12:19 PM
I have an 05 with 16.2K miles and the brakes are squeeking like they are worn down. The parking brakes are also worn so far I need to get it adjusted.

I paid for a Cadillac certified pre owned warranty when I bought the car and have only put 2K miles on it. Do you think I should squawk about why I wasn't warned the car would need brakes soon?

50 4Ever
11-28-06, 12:45 PM
I have over 23,000 on my '05 and the brakes are still good. It really depends on how hard the car has been driven. If the car was a Certified Cadillac pre owned they should have given you the checklist when you bought the car, my dealer gave me the one for my car. The inspection sheet just says "At least 1/2 pad/shoe life left" and a place to check yes or no. I believe that a Cadillac Certified car has to have at least 1/2 pad life left, I would call Cadillac Customer Service and ask them.

You say the brakes are squeaking like they are worn down, if they make a 'chirping' sound while driving but stops when you apply the brake then it is indeed the audible warning sensor. But if they squeak only when the brakes are applied chances are it is the carbon/metallic pads and the rotors need a layer of carbon layed down on them by warming the brakes up ( normal braking 5 times from 65 to 10) then some hard stops ( braking 3 or 4 times from 65 to 10) without engaging ABS. Let brakes cool down for 15 minutes while driving, without applying brakes. This works for me. But before doing tyhis you should have a visual inspection done, a lot of tire or brake shops will do this free.

Good luck :thumbsup:

ronr
11-28-06, 02:39 PM
I changed to hawk pads around 20k and my stocker's were still in GREAT shape. I even kept them since they had a LOT of life left on them. And I push mine hard (they had 2 track weekends on them when I changed them).

Yours should not be worn out at 16k

trukk
11-29-06, 10:23 AM
My car is in the shop right now getting new brakes. I have 38K on the clock.

They never squeeled at all untill about 2 weeks ago. They went from squeeling to grinding in about 10 days.

So it's at lindsay right now, geting hawk pads + rotors turned.

-Chris

trukk
11-29-06, 10:49 AM
My car is in the shop right now getting new brakes. I have 38K on the clock.

They never squeeled at all untill about 2 weeks ago. They went from squeeling to grinding in about 10 days.

So it's at lindsay right now, geting hawk pads + rotors turned.

-Chris

WHOOPS, James just called, and the front rotors are ground up pretty nice, so looks like a new set of the GM Drilled rotors are on tap.

-Chris

RobertCTS
11-29-06, 11:44 AM
WHOOPS, James just called, and the front rotors are ground up pretty nice, so looks like a new set of the GM Drilled rotors are on tap.

-Chris

Are you doing all 4 corners? IMO 38,000 was a bit premature. Possibly you drove her a bit hard.

trukk
11-29-06, 12:08 PM
Are you doing all 4 corners? IMO 38,000 was a bit premature. Possibly you drove her a bit hard.

I don't drive it too hard, as it's my daily driver. I did have one drivers event on these pads, but it was my first one ever, so I wasn't going very hard at all. I used my stock F1 EMT's at that event too, and they lasted to 16,500 miles, which seems fairly long lived, when comparing to others experiences with them.

I think 38k is about right for the hi-po pads on the V. Others chime in if you think this is nuts. I'd love to hear some more feedback on this though.

Thanks,

Chris

NEW77GUY
11-29-06, 12:39 PM
I have almost 29kmi. on my '05...and there seems to be plenty of life with no squealing yet.

Dreamin
11-29-06, 01:35 PM
30,833 miles with 2 track days...it's all about late, hard braking... ;)

1fstkde
11-29-06, 10:10 PM
05..with 20k miles and have 80 percent left..{according to the dealer}..had the parking brake adjusted because it woulndt hold the car on a hill...

wicked v
11-29-06, 10:29 PM
I must be braking alot! 2004 with 28,000 and I dont think my fronts are gonna make it to 30,000. This is my daily driver, mostly to and from work and the front rotors are toast. Good thing my front cross- drilled rotors just came in. I tried to order rear cross-drilled rotors and they told me they were not available. Has anybody recently ordered rear cross-drilled rotors?

RobertCTS
11-30-06, 08:36 AM
My cross drilled/slotted rotors are cryogenically hardened along with Hawk ceramic pads. At 30,000 miles I see no wear at all. I've never mic'd them though. I just bought a Baer big brake kit from CMS. I hope to install them after the Holidays. With my driving they should last me a very long time.

Lindsay Cadillac
11-30-06, 08:53 AM
I must be braking alot! 2004 with 28,000 and I dont think my fronts are gonna make it to 30,000. This is my daily driver, mostly to and from work and the front rotors are toast. Good thing my front cross- drilled rotors just came in. I tried to order rear cross-drilled rotors and they told me they were not available. Has anybody recently ordered rear cross-drilled rotors?
Where did you order them from?? We keep the front and rear in stock...

trukk
11-30-06, 03:15 PM
Where did you order them from?? We keep the front and rear in stock...

....Which was good luck for me :D

-Chris