: Procedures for cleaning under the hood

Roswell256
03-04-04, 04:07 PM
I've read up on what to use to clean my engine and have decided to use dishsoap and simple Green. What I'm looking for is a procedure or maybe a list of stuff that I should clean. now I know I should clean up everything but maybe I should ask the question of what NOT to clean? What is under the hood that should be off limits or what should I stay away from? Is it a good idea to remove the supports and metal bars around the engine to get down in there and really get it cleaned out? Is there anything I should be watching for? Also sence the engine has about 109k on it. What should I take off and clean out to keep it running great? throttle body? EGR (whatever that is)? Sensors, valves, or diaphrams that should be cleaned out or atleast checked for corrosion and debris? Also does anyone know a good way to clean up those two engine stabilizers on the front right and left of the engine? Mine are majorly corroded and I would like to either clean them up or get new ones to help improve the look. My goal is to bring this back to almost new condition. Thanks for the help and look foreward to hearing from all of you.

P.S. this forum is full of increadable amounts of help and helpfull people. Thank you for your patience. :worship: :worship: :worship:

-Roswell-

elwesso
03-04-04, 04:47 PM
Basically if your doing just a cosmetic clean, then I would spray simple green (full) over all the bay... Dont be too liberal, as a slight mist will take care of it...

I did it to the 95 wood and it was INCREDIBLE the difference. I spray it on, let it sit for a couple mins, and then misted the engine quite a bit... It was like night and day...

Its best to do it when hot so it drys faster...

Just dont go too crazy on anything electrical.. A little shower on everything wont hurt anythign...

After this, rinse the engine bay every time you wash and you will keep it really clean.....

This is the procedure i use on my Q...

elwesso
03-04-04, 04:48 PM
If you want to clean stuff I would search the forums for THROTTLE BODY, EGR VALVE, PLENUM, etc...

Ralph
03-04-04, 10:28 PM
I didn't look to see what your model is, or if it has a distributer cap, but if so I would cover it with a plastic bag to prevent engine stalling. Tie an elastic band around it for a good seal. There used to be some controversy as to whether to keep the engine running or not when flushing the cleaning agent. I was told once to run it, but flush with warm water and not cold because cold might crack the block if the engine is hot! I think that would be rare.

Night Wolf
03-05-04, 12:21 AM
the BEST stuff to clean white walls and clean/drgrease the engine.....

PURPLE POWER

stuff is amazing....

Roswell256
03-05-04, 12:44 AM
THank you all. In the military, so they sell a bunch of simple green. I'm hoping the weather holds out so that I can get to it this weekend. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks again
-Roswell-

Roswell256
03-05-04, 09:27 AM
No I don't have a distributor cap and I'm just going to take everything that seems unimportant off. Like supports and crossmenbers and clean up everything that I can reach. I'm almost 7ft so that should be most of it. Then I'll take it to the hobby shop and put it up on a lift and clean everything else I can find.

Thanks
-Roswell-

Elvis
03-05-04, 11:14 AM
Q-tips and windex.