: another "What Car Should I Buy" thread

ChicagoCTS32
11-27-06, 11:00 PM
This is for my gf's mom, so she doesn't care about performance or rwd or any of the cool stuff us car nerds love. It needs to be under $20,000. FWD or AWD. Used is preferable to new. Long warranty is a must. Looking for a 10 year/100,000 mile warranty, so either a factory warranty that long, or a certified used. The only factory I can think of that is that long is the 2007 GM's and Hyundai.

My push is for a used 2006 Hyundai Sonata. I've found a couple with under 20,000 miles for $15,000-$18,000.

Other suggestions?

CadillacGurl
11-28-06, 12:09 AM
Sonata is a good choice. I have an Elantra GT, its good fuel economy car like the Sonata. Hope that little 2 cents helps and good luck!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-28-06, 12:13 AM
Hyundais are really nice cars, they've come a LONG way in the last 10-12 years.

That's about all I know regarding Hyundai though.

xxpinballxx
11-28-06, 12:34 AM
the new sonatas are real nice....Luv is right they have come along damn way.

dp102288
11-28-06, 09:39 AM
I would push a Hyundai now. Before...no. now, yes!

ChicagoCTS32
11-28-06, 09:46 AM
Seems as though we're all in agreement... I test drove one before I bought my CTS and was pretty impressed. I don't think I could go back to it now that I've driven a RWD sports sedan, but it was nice when I drove it.

Elvis
11-28-06, 10:01 AM
You asked for other suggestions, not agreement with the Hyundai, right?

How about an Accord?

ChicagoCTS32
11-28-06, 12:59 PM
Elvis, looking for a longer warranty than the 3/36 that comes on the big H. Thought of that one, but the warranty doesn't do it for me.

Rey Rey 650
11-28-06, 01:07 PM
Toyota Carolla....Those things last!!!!! My gf's parents sold there old carolla that had 120,000 miles (never 1 problem) and bought a 07 for 20,000

Elvis
11-28-06, 04:08 PM
Elvis, looking for a longer warranty than the 3/36 that comes on the big H. Thought of that one, but the warranty doesn't do it for me.

I think Acuras have a 50,000 mile warranty, but it might be tough to find one under $20k with some life left. Volvos are another long-life brand, the S40's are nice little sedans with more room than you'd expect in the back.

Oh well, good luck!

ChicagoCTS32
11-28-06, 05:51 PM
With the particular buyer, it's less about "what might go wrong with the car" and more "need to have a warranty in case something happens". I would suggest an Accord or a Camry, but the warrantys are short. Nothing would probably go wrong with it, but I would prefer she bought something with a long warranty.

Jesda
11-28-06, 06:50 PM
Tossup between the Sonata and Corolla. The Sonata is much roomier but the Corolla has a pretend-lux interior that she might like, and its a bit easier to park.

Me, I'd lean toward the Hyundai.

Elvis
11-28-06, 11:18 PM
With the particular buyer, it's less about "what might go wrong with the car" and more "need to have a warranty in case something happens". I would suggest an Accord or a Camry, but the warrantys are short. Nothing would probably go wrong with it, but I would prefer she bought something with a long warranty.

That's the problem--I don't think like this buyer. When I saw the Hyundai warranty first offered, I thought--they'll do anything to move those crappy cars. It doesn't speak as much about their reliability as it does about their desperation to move product TODAY.

For me, I don't care so much about WHO PAYS if something goes wrong as I do about not having to deal with the annoyance of taking a defective vehicle into a dealership. I just want it fixed and want to go on my merry way as quickly as possible.

I'd really prefer to drive a car 80,000 miles without any repairs at all, just routine maintenance. That's what Hondas gave me without fail, and that's what my wife's Volvo has given us for 125,000 miles.

I doubt any Hyundai will have the same service record, but hey, if somebody else is paying the bill, who cares?

Wiseguy2
11-29-06, 01:19 AM
Better rethink that Hyundai warranty.. it's 10yr/100k on the drivetrain only and only for the first owner. It only transfers if it's a private sale among family members.

Phantom&RedGoat2004
11-29-06, 07:44 AM
I worked at a KIA dealer (sister to Hyundai) and I can recall two specific instances that brand new cars broke down across the street. Our shop was packed with recalls and QA problems. Stay away - far far away. Why is everyone so hung up on Jap cars :vomit: ? We have come a long way since the unreliable 80's that earned the Americans a bad reputation - before the 80's "made in America" meant quality. Get a Malibu, Impala, G6, or a LeSabre (Buicks are REALLY nice). Our purchases of "bought technology" from reputable companies (ie: Isuzu, Toyota) say they have found the means of mileage, reliability, and standard luxury options that can be expected of an American car without compromise to any of these - and they are very reasonably priced.
The catch with the 100K warranty is that it is limited to the driveline (engine/transmission), and is only valid if the car has had ALL of the routine maintenance (mileage in accordance with the owners manual) and ALL service repairs done AT THE DEALER. I watched too many service writters wiggle out from under warranty as the contracts clearly state in the 53rd paragraph on the 35th page in the fine print...yada yada. You can buy a warranty from a third party that will allow you to choose your shop, so you aren't at the mercy of the stealership, and you won't be stuck in an embarassing econo-box because the guys with toy cars have a better warranty. $.02 worth of my free advice. PRG04

ChicagoCTS32
11-29-06, 09:54 AM
Better rethink that Hyundai warranty.. it's 10yr/100k on the drivetrain only and only for the first owner. It only transfers if it's a private sale among family members.
It then becomes a 5 year / 60,000 mile warranty. If you are the 1st owner, you get 10/100 drivetrain and 5/60 everything else (expect a few things like the radio, brake pads, paint, battery, a/c recharge, wiper blades, bulbs, fuses, clutch, belts which have their own specific warranty.

I worked at a KIA dealer (sister to Hyundai) and I can recall two specific instances that brand new cars broke down across the street. Our shop was packed with recalls and QA problems. Stay away - far far away. Why is everyone so hung up on Jap cars :vomit: ?

How did you work at a Kia dealer and not know that Kia's and Hyundai's are Korean, and not japanese?

dp102288
11-29-06, 10:43 AM
Wrning...Corollas will subject you to the hated of Stoney! :histeric:

ChicagoCTS32
11-29-06, 10:56 AM
Corolla is too small anyway dp. She's driven one as a rental and hated it.

c5 rv
11-29-06, 12:24 PM
If she doesn't want something small, how about a Cadillac certified pre-owned DeVille or Seville? Supposedly just like a Cadillac new car warranty but lasts until 6 years since the in-service date and 100K total miles.
Check out www.cadillac.com under certified pre-owned in your area (or Autotrader) to get an idea of what's out there in the $20K range.

ChicagoCTS32
11-29-06, 12:40 PM
Suggested that initially, but she doesn't really want a caddy. She has pretty simple tastes and doesn't like flash. She refuses to get leather cuz it's "too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter".

c5 rv
11-29-06, 01:52 PM
How about a Pontiac Vibe? It's the twin to the Matrix, but made by NUMMI in California alongside the Corolla. I know a number of ladies that like them because of the flexible interior. Great for buying OPJ (Other People's Junk) at garage sales. The 07 units are FWD only, AWD was offered in 06 and earlier. If she's really warranty sensitive, she could buy a nicely equipped 07 plus a discounted GMPP warranty and still spend less than $20K.

ChicagoCTS32
11-29-06, 03:02 PM
She doesn't like SUV's, crossovers, wagons, vans, etc. She wants a SEDAN. I gave some suggestions of some crossover style vehicles, but she shot them down faster than the cadillac suggestion. Good suggestion though. Those are pretty practical cars for OPJ. She just went to put down $500 to hold a new black 2006 with 3300 miles at a hyundai dealer. New with 3300 miles you ask? It is their demo that they're phasing into a 2007 model. This way she gets the full 10/100 warranty on the drivetrain, the full 5/60 on everything else. She'll be the first person on title, so the warranty will actually last until 103,300 which will be nice. She has class tonight, so they're getting the check from the bank tomorrow and picking it up tomorrow night. She's getting it for 4,000 under blue book (suggested retail pricing) and 800 under blue book (private party pricing).

Thanks for the help friends.

railven
11-29-06, 08:26 PM
Sorry Chicago gonna steal some of your thread fame:

You guys might remember me asking about a car for my girlfriend. Well we never found a Pontiac she was happy with.

We saw a 96 Mustang she is extremely interested in. My research is showing its a solid car but not too great for the winter. It has 129K, transmission shifted smoothly jumped gears quickly, cold AC, hot heat, automatic, no obvious damage on the exterior, muffler growls like I'd expect a Stang to, interior is spotless she almost bought it that moment, V6 and RWD.

I told her let me read a bit but she put a deposit down anyways at least to hold it.

You guys hear anything bad about these cars? Carsurvery.org gives it good reviews and Edmund users said good things about them. The headaches seem to range to general maintance but nothing really repeated over.

railven
11-30-06, 12:16 PM
Sigh...I messed up.

I called the dealer today for the Mustang and they sold it. The deposit only holds the car for 24hrs, so they claim, and we didn't get back to them. So the car is gone and my girlfriend is sad.

They claim to have voided the check but I already called the bank to void it too, just in case.

Phantom&RedGoat2004
11-30-06, 11:01 PM
How did you work at a Kia dealer and not know that Kia's and Hyundai's are Korean, and not japanese?

Everyone was recommeding Kia, Toyota and Honda. I addressed KIA, and after a period (.) I addressed the others (Jap cars). Have you ever been to Japan? Or Korea? I have. Take my advice or don't - either way I don't care smart-guy.

ChicagoCTS32
11-30-06, 11:28 PM
Ahhh, your testicles and expertise must be far greater than mine because you have been to Japan and Korea. Congratulations smart-guy!

Phantom&RedGoat2004
12-01-06, 12:23 AM
You're intentionally insulting. Were you never taught that it's rude to be insulting? And yes, I've likely forgotten more about cars than you will ever learn. I'm finished with this thread (as goes for all your threads), and I ask that you please not post in any of mine. Since we can't get along, then put me on your ignore list and I will do the same to you. May be then we can get along a little better.

EDIT: I don't see an ignore feature, so we may just have to ignore each other like the big kids do.