: Undercoating my buick. Need suggestions quickly!!

pimpin88
11-27-06, 07:18 PM
So the snow is going to start flying very soon around here and I need to get my buick undercoated very soon. Probably in the next few days. What is a good place to take my car and have it done.

I was looking at Ziebart because there is one nearby but I was wondering if anyone ever went to them before, and if so, what are the results like.

DILLIGAF
11-27-06, 09:43 PM
Save your money let the next owner worry about the rust.

Florian
11-27-06, 09:46 PM
save your dough......and buy me a round as a gesture of thanks.

F

c5 rv
11-27-06, 09:51 PM
I think automakers advise against undercoating since they already use corrosion resistant coatings. Supposedly an occasional fresh water car wash and underbody rinse during the winter is best.

However, if you have an older car that is still in excellent shape that you intend to drive in the winter, it may be worth investigating. I believe there are better options than Ziebart, though.

xxpinballxx
11-27-06, 11:57 PM
do what I do pimpin....keep a garden hose readily available with one of those long angled garden sprinklers. Every other day or so throw that on and wash off the under side yourself....much more reliable and easier if you ask me. I never trusted those rust-proofer like miracle shield and ziebarts option.
I have both hot and cold water supply outside so I throw a little luke warm through it and then throw it in the garage for the night. does the trick just fine. I use to have a sprinkler i just turned on then drove over right into the garage and then turned the sprinkler off. Not you need a good high grade hose that wont freeze and crack easy. Go for the big black rubber hose type. more expensive but in the long run much better.

pimpin88
11-28-06, 03:38 AM
I think automakers advise against undercoating since they already use corrosion resistant coatings. Supposedly an occasional fresh water car wash and underbody rinse during the winter is best.

However, if you have an older car that is still in excellent shape that you intend to drive in the winter, it may be worth investigating. I believe there are better options than Ziebart, though.

Thats why I was looking at it. My 1992 Roadie has almost no rust on the undercarriage, and I would like to keep it that way. But it seems like everyone thinks the best thing to do is just wash the underside.

dp102288
11-28-06, 08:48 AM
I go with the DIY rinsing. Save some money and you know its done right.

But using a hose in the winter does suck. :(

xxpinballxx
11-28-06, 09:22 AM
yeah the hose in the winter does become a hassle but a good hose an d making sure you drain the water out of the hose after each use you wont have to worry about it freezing and cracking as much. I trun off the water...release all the water out then unhook it and coil it up buy my house I have the sort of blanket that I have no idea where it came from but feels sort of like the lead aprons x-ray techs give you and wear but is actually a blanket. cover it and its fine for me.....

c5 rv
11-28-06, 11:01 AM
For winter washes, I'm lucky enough have have a laundry tub just inside the house from my garage. When the temps are above freezing, I can wash the car with warm water.