: sticker shock

VilleBilly
11-27-06, 07:18 PM
went to the dealer today for two new crank postion sensors, man was i shocked when he said $166.97, thank god for ROCK AUTO (77.00 SHIPPED). i am also going to change the coolant, are these pellets dealer items or can i get them anywhere?

codewize
11-27-06, 07:46 PM
I got the seal tabs form my dealer. They were only like $5 or something. I understand the Bars Leak tabs are the same but check with someone about part numbers so you get the right Bars Leak if you go that route.

AlBundy
11-27-06, 08:06 PM
Geting parts from a Stealership is highly frowned upon unless you have money to burn(which you would'nt be looking for parts anyway).

Ranger
11-27-06, 08:29 PM
You should be able to get the Barsleaks at Walmart I believe. Product code is HDC (tabs) or G12BP (Powdered version). Tabs are easier in the Northstar. Just pop them in the radiator hose. No need to crush them.

GreenMachine
11-28-06, 06:52 PM
I think it depends on what kind of relationship you have with the dealer. One is just 5 mins away from me (or less) so I started the relationship by buying an Oil Filter, from there I moved onto a plug wire, and I really haven't had to go there for much else, car has been good. (had to buy a wheel well piece recently, go it for list price.)

Getting to know the parts department window guys is really helpful, especially when it comes to getting those hard to find items. The parts department doesn't seem to mind when you do it yourself, I think they understand the service department milks everyones wallet. I think it also depends on the guys in the parts department, I guess if you get a real jerk the price will be higher :P

dp102288
11-29-06, 08:21 AM
^^ I tried to get a friend in the local dealership parts department, but it never happened. Thanks god for the parts websites!