: Advise on De Ville 97

Murka
03-04-04, 02:37 PM
Hi guys, for a couple of weeks I was lurking and reading your great posts. Now I desided to try and ask for advise myself. I bought a 97 De Ville from my mechanic 2 month ago, who assured me that car in a great condition, after complete tune up. ( 200 000. km). This mechanic was taken care of my previous caddy ( 1987 De Ville) for about 3 years. Unfortunately I had an accident on icy road and now the first caddy is history. So anyway the 1997 car run great for about 2 weeks, after that It started to show some problems like stalling . car went to the same mechanic 2 or 3 times, they could not figure what wrong, injectors were cleaned and some other stuff which I have no idea about. Anyway 2 weeks ago car died, I brought it to my mechanic and he told me that fuel pump needs to be changed, To make a long story short I paid about $ 700.00 . Now I am wondering, why did he charge me , car stop working after 2 weeks of purchase, should I try and ask for my money back? or it is a lost cause and I need to change a mechanic and forgot about this? Thank you for listening and hope to hear from you guys.

Lawrence
03-04-04, 05:05 PM
Well, you should have questioned that before you paid him. I think it is too late now to question it. Forget about it and enjoy your new car.

As far as a new mechanic, if you trust him and he does good work keep him. He hasn't done anything out of line.

Remeber this is a used car and, I am assuming you didn't purchase a warranty from him, there are no guarantees. These things happen to used cars. Your mechanic may even feel badly about what happened, but should he pay for it? I don't think so.

BTW, I couldn't say if $700 is too much for a fuel pump. Seems to me a new cost for an OEM pump is about $500. I am sure others can comment on that.

BeelzeBob
03-05-04, 12:36 PM
Hi guys, for a couple of weeks I was lurking and reading your great posts. Now I desided to try and ask for advise myself. I bought a 97 De Ville from my mechanic 2 month ago, who assured me that car in a great condition, after complete tune up. ( 200 000. km). This mechanic was taken care of my previous caddy ( 1987 De Ville) for about 3 years. Unfortunately I had an accident on icy road and now the first caddy is history. So anyway the 1997 car run great for about 2 weeks, after that It started to show some problems like stalling . car went to the same mechanic 2 or 3 times, they could not figure what wrong, injectors were cleaned and some other stuff which I have no idea about. Anyway 2 weeks ago car died, I brought it to my mechanic and he told me that fuel pump needs to be changed, To make a long story short I paid about $ 700.00 . Now I am wondering, why did he charge me , car stop working after 2 weeks of purchase, should I try and ask for my money back? or it is a lost cause and I need to change a mechanic and forgot about this? Thank you for listening and hope to hear from you guys.

I wouldn't say that you have any complaints with him, either... It ran fine when you bought it. There is no gurantee on a car with that many miles on it and if it was the fuel pump and it was fixed by replacing the fuel pump then that was just the breaks.... It is a used car (a very used car wtih 200K km on it..!!) and there is little to no way to predict a fuel pump failing.....