: Final Fantasy XII

DopeStar 156
11-27-06, 11:03 AM
The lady and I have been playing this game since Halloween when it first came out and so far we love it but we're finding it a little difficult. It always seems like my characters are simply too low level for the enemies they're fighting everywhere I go. Anyone else who has this game feel the same way? I like a nice difficult game but I'm tired of having to reload my game every half hour. It's a great game though, I haven't enjoyed an FF game like this since VII almost 10 years ago.....

railven
11-27-06, 11:10 AM
I also picked up FFXII when it was released, collector's edition, but I haven't had time to dedicate to that game. The FF-series isn't the kind of game you can get much done in one or two hours so I haven't bothered.

If it is anything like every other FF-game you can try grinding a few levels. Since I love to explorer every nook and cranny possible when I play I tend to sometimes be at a higher level then a gamer who just goes with the flow.

You can stick at a spot where you can dispatch enemies quickly but still gain decent EXP and gain a few levels.

But then again since I haven't given the game much time I don't know if they removed the random encounters, if they did that totally sucks.

Does the game have a two-player feature? That be sweet.

DopeStar 156
11-27-06, 11:19 AM
The battle system plays like an offline MMORPG. You set these things called Gambits (Mon ami...) which are automatic actions and you list them in terms of priority. For example......

1. Nearest Enemy............................Attack
2. Targeting Party Leader..................Attack
3. Ally HP < 70%................................Cure

So now all you do is walk around and when an enemy is in range, your characters will draw their weapons and go after it and do their Gambits as listed by priority. You still have the battle options like in other FF games and can override the Gambits or turn them off completely, but they make the game so much easier with them on. The only thing I do is keep my eye on everyone's HP/MP. The enemies are visible, you can see them walking around the area so you can dodge them if you want to but it's not easy. Most are aggressive and will chase you, some are docile and have no interest in you what-so-ever.

xxpinballxx
11-27-06, 11:25 AM
after FFVII i gave up on them. FFX looked nice but wasnt the same......

railven
11-27-06, 11:28 AM
I'm interested in the story FFXII has and will probably give it more time when I switch to morning shift, if those bastards ever hurry up, or my girlfriend buys a car - which ever comes first.

I've played just about every FF game released in the US and seriously can't understand why people, fans of the series even, have complained so extensively. The games are all great, well written stories, character development that makes you relate with them, customization making your characters vital in every battle, etc etc.

But everyone has their opinions, can't win them all.

DopeStar 156
11-27-06, 11:40 AM
after FFVII i gave up on them. FFX looked nice but wasnt the same......

That's because FFX sucked. It was horrible in so many aspects. The characters all annoyed me except for a couple. My favorites are VI and VII and XII has worked its way up there too. VIII wasn't too bad, IX was way better. I never even played XI but I have no interest in it at all.....

railven
11-27-06, 11:47 AM
I'd put it in this order for me: VIII, VI, IV, V, and II.

VII was "good" but not what everyone hypes it to be. IX just didn't cut it for me. I wanted to kill Vivi and Zidane plenty of times and there was no real "moving" part in the story from my point of view.

And X, well it was great because it was on new hardware, which is probably why tons of people enjoyed VII, and just like VII it introduced a new wave of gamers to the series but still not a strong one to use. The characters where all mostly idiots trying to do something that...well I don't know. If you want a good religious toned FF pick up Tactics that game has one of the best story lines I've ever enjoyed.

xxpinballxx
11-27-06, 11:51 AM
I guess I'll give XII a shot then. rail I gotta disagree with you for a first time i think. you can't honestly say they all were great can you? i mean if you truly think that then alls well but you gotta admit after VII looking back some of them paled in comparison. I mean yeah they were good games but to say all of them were great sounds like you don't have a preference or think they all are on the same level.....

xxpinballxx
11-27-06, 11:52 AM
okay disregard last post your last post explained the comment a little better..LOL!

Now I have to totally disagree...I hated Tactics! Would rate that at the very bottom of the list for me....
did think the taste between me and you would be that varied! Wow! tactics top of your list huh?
Points for admitting it...LOL!

DopeStar 156
11-27-06, 11:59 AM
I loved VII because it was my first FF game and I was in love with all the characters. VII's strong point was the characters. How many people wanted to jump in the screen and kick Sephiroth's ass when he killed Aeris? Who didn't slide to the end of the couch when you saw Cloud do Omnislash for the first time? What about when Tifa would reminice with Cloud back when they were kids? Then you had Vincent who had such an involved backstory that still wasn't explained in full by the end of the game. I think that might've been the only FF game with a submarine too where there was an underwater area you could explore and fight super high level monsters and pick up bad ass weapons and materia.

Nothing will ever compare to VII in my eyes.....

railven
11-27-06, 12:00 PM
Haha.

I actually loved Tactics. It had everything I could ask for in a FF game. It had the class system, great jobs, a solid storyline that moves with the chapters, a huge epic war, and religion!

But I won't sell you the game because I know some people don't like TRPGs. I know I didn't like Vandal Hearts very much.

I'd say they are all good games when compared to other RPGs. Call me stupid but I never played Suikoden and yet I hear tons of great things about them.

I watched my girlfriend play Suikoden 3 and 4 and frankly I wasn't impressed. The voice acting alone made me want to leave the room but thats just me.

Haha its always good to disagree. We can learn each other's perspective and hell sometimes it might even shed new light on your own perspective.

xxpinballxx
11-27-06, 12:01 PM
I agree dopestar and another note on tactics......
whats with the lame characters.....Algus was terrible and rafa and Melek were worthless.
THe best of that game is the music.....

Suikoden is unplayable if you ask me.....
I gotta give the battles in tactics a high rating...storyline I didnt think was the best. Maybe I didnt dedicate enough time to it.
I know how some games get better with time invested and some have luls in it like kingdom hearts. I have no idea if I'll ever have time to play it now but if i do
I will give a chance.

railven
11-27-06, 12:06 PM
FFVII was a solid game but the story line left too many plot holes. Some argue that gives the game mystery but others feel the game was probably rushed.

The first two disc deliver a strong story line connecting everyone and explaining to you the world but once you hit disc 3 the story line starts to fall apart and everything you learned in the first two disc is starting to wash away by new revelations.

And I'm pretty sure I'm the only RPGer I know that sort of hated Aerith and was happy when Sephiroth drove that blade into her back. She added very little to the game in the beginning and ever after her death her character did very little. It felt as if in the last minute Square decided to take her out. She didn't linger enough for me to feel compassion for her.

Yuffie is another character I'm left wondering WTF? Vincent's story at least connected to the overall story and his connection with Hojo was awesome.

Great game, but I fail to see the magic everyone saw.

ChicagoCTS32
11-27-06, 12:06 PM
FFIII was the best. I love that game... I downloaded an emulator so I could play it on my computer, but it just wasn't the same. FFX wasn't so bad, it had a good story line and great graphics (in comparison to the old ones). I will agree that VII was fantastic. A friend of mine had a save game with the main characters special move completely charged up so he could see it over and over.

railven
11-27-06, 12:11 PM
I agree dopestar and another note on tactics......
whats with the lame characters.....Algus was terrible and rafa and Melek were worthless.

This ties into the job system and special classes. I know Thunder God Cid was badass and probably the best character in the game, although freaking insane with power, but Algus was a job below Cid's.

The classes where well balanced in my opinion, minus TG Cid, and each class had a weakness.

But then again mixing in classes made the game freaking awesome. TG Cid with dual wield, ignore height, and freaking geomancing was just INSANE! Haha.

xxpinballxx
11-27-06, 12:14 PM
III would probably be my second or third tied with IV.
Not sure what about IV i liked so much but have to rate it high...might have been just the only good game I was playing at the time....LOL!

railven
11-27-06, 12:22 PM
Hey Chicago they sold FFVII for PC, published by Eidos. With the new hardware you can force AA/AF on and see if it makes a difference. Hmmm...I should try that haha. It sucked for PC, my opinion, because the sound wasn't as good and the lack of a physical controller made it ackward [least for me.]

gothicaleigh
11-27-06, 05:20 PM
Good to hear that FFXII is good.
Final Fantasy used to be one of those games I would watch for every year, but the last few just haven't interested me for one reason or another.

8 had probably my favorite opening cinematic of all time, and then had a storyline I absolutely despised. When it was revealed that all the characters were from the same orphanage but had somehow forgotten, I just about walked away from it. I held on because I hoped a good old fashioned FF twist would rescue that trainwreck of a plot, but it wasn't to be so.

9 was supposed to take FF back to it's roots. It brought back the look (or what early FF games would have looked like in 3D I imagine), but it failed to make me care about the characters.

10 I never finished. It was that bad. Pretty at the time, but felt like it was on rails and forced.

I never even bothered renting, much less purchasing, 10-2. The very premise lacked interest to me.

11 was online and you really can only have one MMO in your life at a time. I found I would rather play Dark Age of Camelot.

CIWS
11-27-06, 05:23 PM
I found I would rather play Dark Age of Camelot.

Camelot - Camelot - Camelot ! (it's only a model -sshhhhh) :D

railven
11-27-06, 08:35 PM
8 had probably my favorite opening cinematic of all time, and then had a storyline I absolutely despised. When it was revealed that all the characters were from the same orphanage but had somehow forgotten, I just about walked away from it. I held on because I hoped a good old fashioned FF twist would rescue that trainwreck of a plot, but it wasn't to be so.

11 was online and you really can only have one MMO in your life at a time. I found I would rather play Dark Age of Camelot.

But that was the twist in FF8. They, the main characters, were destined to defeat Ultimecia. It is how Edea got the idea to create SeeD. Everything that happened in the end explained why they didn't remember anything and, in my opinion, that added to the strong "meant to be" underlinings the game had. Julie/Laguna and Rinoa/Squall, SeeD/Edea and Ultimecia/SeeD.

And as far as MMORPG's World of Warcraft made me its bitch. Haha.

DopeStar 156
11-28-06, 01:09 AM
I have Tactics, but I never finished it. X I also never finished for the same reason Leigh said she didn't either. VIII never really caught on with me, I couldn't form that personal bond with the game like I had done with VII, maybe it's time to retry, my brother jacked it months ago and i haven't seen it since.

Ms. DS and I leveled our characters up to 20 in XII tonight. Fran, the Viera skypirate is our favorite character. She's our best fighter, magick user, and is one bad ass character. She's also sexy as **** too......

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/ff12-fran.jpg

Ms. DS has a Fran cosplay planned for convention season this summer. Stay tuned.......

dp102288
11-28-06, 09:43 AM
^^ :drool: :drool: :drool:

What's this thread about again...:drool:

xxpinballxx
11-28-06, 10:44 AM
scantily clad rabbit women with bows? Im not sure....

railven
11-28-06, 11:14 AM
I'll never understand the world of armors and defense items in video games.

When a male character equips say a Mithril Vest he's literally bullet proof. But when a female equips it chances are her belly button is exposed, its strapless, and has no back side just held on by "magick."

The Viera race was a perfect excused for Playboy Bunnies to be everywhere.

gothicaleigh
11-28-06, 11:17 AM
Furry!

She's attractive enough I suppose...
But what is the point of wearing armor if it doesn't protect anything?
...and high heels? Please. :gothicaleigh:

xxpinballxx
11-28-06, 11:20 AM
lol....really you know a girls gotta look good even if it means sacrificing some protection.

railven
11-28-06, 11:26 AM
You think they working the "seduction" angle?

As a man, others may agree or not, I'd less likely strike the hot blonde with a huge rack over the screaming nagging old lady.

But then again I grew up in a world of stereotypes and MTV tells me beautiful is plastic surgery and high heels.

gothicaleigh
11-28-06, 11:32 AM
I'll never understand the world of armors and defense items in video games.

When a male character equips say a Mithril Vest he's literally bullet proof. But when a female equips it chances are her belly button is exposed, its strapless, and has no back side just held on by "magick."

The Viera race was a perfect excused for Playboy Bunnies to be everywhere.

Bah. You beat me to it. :p

Score one more for DAoC. Armor is armor in that game. No runway heels or bathing suit armor that barely holds in the character's "assets".

http://www.8thdaycreations.net/images/Lynore.jpg

railven
11-28-06, 11:39 AM
My girlfriend is a huge MMORPG addict. Since I've met her I've about played all the new MMO's that came out.

Oddly she's never mentioned DoAC outside one time she said "you can buy a boat" or something like that.

She got me into WoW and we haven't stopped playing [well until now since the move and stuff] but overall they are decent games.

My night elf is hawt! I can score free gold! Yeah, I'm that pathetic. Haha.

gothicaleigh
11-28-06, 12:01 PM
My girlfriend is a huge MMORPG addict. Since I've met her I've about played all the new MMO's that came out.

Oddly she's never mentioned DoAC outside one time she said "you can buy a boat" or something like that.

She got me into WoW and we haven't stopped playing [well until now since the move and stuff] but overall they are decent games.

My night elf is hawt! I can score free gold! Yeah, I'm that pathetic. Haha.

DAoC is in my opinion the best MMO out there (I've played them all from WoW to EQ to GW to D&D etc.). It has an almost cult-like following, but has never seen the success of games like WoW or EverQuest because it requires massive amounts of time and resources (runs beautifully with the right equipment and connection, but will not "scale back" very well for casual gamers; The main reason for this is Realm versus Realm warfare. Even at the lowest graphic settings, lesser systems huddle in the fetal position and cry when armies counting in the hundreds lay seige to a keep or tower).

Probably the best supported long-running MMO out there too. It originally appeared way back in 2001, but because of Mythic's constant updating (typically 2 expansions and a dozen real updates, not just bug-fixes, a year) it has a level of detail on par with the most modern games available. Unfortunately, this is also a bane to new players because there is SO much going on that it is not a game you can pick up and learn in a weekend.

This trailer is the best example of what the game is about (there are no cut-scenes to DAoC; what you see is in-game):
http://camelot-europe.goa.com/de/?&page=trailer

It really is one of the most under-rated games ever.

Oh yeah, it's also free for 14 days:
http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/ <--- D/L the game here

You can own everything from skiffs to warbarges.
Riding horses to War horse to even rare Nightmares and Unicorns.
Each realm has multiple housing sections for homes and guildhalls that adds a Sims-like element to the game too.

railven
11-28-06, 12:35 PM
From what I saw of that video is DAoC mostly a PVP game? I'm more of a PVE player as it seems, or actually an RP-PVE. Anyways, we tried RF-Online and though the graphics were nice and the elf woman were hawt the game sucked in terms of gameplay and it was primarily a PVPing game.

I'll ask her about it, maybe we can pick up a trial or at least the first month free with game purchase.

It looks a lot like EQ though graphically. I love the graphics of WoW how they stayed true to the WC series.

Ooops I missed your edit after the trailer link. I guess we'll give it a whirl this weekend. Haha. She loves housing. Something she won't stop talking about when ever she mentions that game...err Horizons or something like that. She said it sucked but the housing was fun,

DopeStar 156
11-29-06, 02:16 AM
Is anyone here REALLY complaining about Fran's armor? Haha.

Hit level 22 tonight and did a few of the bounty hunter side missions. Definitely beefed up my characters. Fran currently has two quickening moves and one summon monster. She's my sexy behemoth Viera fighter babe!

railven
11-29-06, 11:55 AM
I got my interview lined up for Thursday so if I get the position bam thats a morning shift job so my girlfriend and I will work the same schedule meaning more free time.

WOOT WOOT!

I'll have to set some time for FFXII. I wonder if I can pull one of those weekend power gaming sessions I use to do all the time in high school, I finished FFVIII and IX in two days [4 days total not both in just 2 days.]

Ahhh memories of being reckless and having fun.

xxpinballxx
11-29-06, 11:59 AM
I remember Zelda coming out for SNES. I played for 20 hours a day just exploring and having fun. I was lucky enough to not be working at the time. LOL!

dp102288
11-30-06, 12:36 PM
A great game I liked, and played the shit out of, was Blood Wake for the Xbox. Such a different concept, boat warfare. I loved it. Good story too.

xxpinballxx
11-30-06, 07:06 PM
that was one the first games I got. that and wreckless.....love that game and still play it.
wreckless had such a different way to view the playback and the graphics I think were awesome as hell.

railven
11-30-06, 09:03 PM
My first XBOX game was GT2002.

My first memory was buying a used bolt on turbo for my Toyota Celica and then starting a race and having it blowout. Haha.

HI-LA-RIOUS!

gothicaleigh
11-30-06, 09:20 PM
My first XBOX games were Halo and Jet Set Radio Future.

My first GameCube game was Mario Sunshine. :)

My first PS2 game was SSX. (edited because I remembered what it was)
The other fairly early titles I remember having were ICO, Zone of the Enders, Dark Cloud, and Onimusha.

dp102288
11-30-06, 10:25 PM
My first XBOX game was GT2002.

My first memory was buying a used bolt on turbo for my Toyota Celica and then starting a race and having it blowout. Haha.

HI-LA-RIOUS!

Oh man...good times with used parts! Did you ever discover the NOS trick?

railven
12-01-06, 12:03 PM
Actually I never discovred the NOS trick. I tricked out a Viper and that slammed into a wall while messing around.

I love that parts could break in that game but after that incident I quickly wished for Gran Turismo haha.

As for my PS2 game get ready for this I wonder if any of you remember it: Orphen! Probably the worst launch game I've ever played. Haha. My friend and I agreed to get two unique games each but I forgot my wallet at home and only had enough for one so being an anime fan I picked it.

That game SUCKED! Haha. Of course I was an awe of the new graphics and was like "dude this game is awesome" but after he brought over Madden and Dynasty Warriors I pretty much cired myself to sleep.

Week later when I got paid I got SSX and Kessen two of the best games I've ever played and their series are still good today, minus On Tour I just don't like it.

My first GC game was Monkey Ball and Rogue Squadron II. Being able to fly the Millenium Falcon was awesome and Monkey Ball was a good helping of Marble Madness in 3-D.

xxpinballxx
12-01-06, 06:37 PM
I remember most my firsts.......games that is.
Atari 2600....circus atari LOL! Thats how far back i remember.

gothicaleigh
12-01-06, 06:57 PM
NES for me. The ol' Super Mario Bros. + Duck Hunt pack.

Had an Atari (the one with the faux woodgrain), but the first games I remember getting into were on the NES.

railven
12-01-06, 08:53 PM
My cousin, her dad spoiled her wished he'd buy me stuff, had an Atari with the wood grain I believe it was a 5200.

The first games I remember playing on it involved tanks shooting at each other, Custer's Revenge, and is that Circus Atari game had anything to do with three little pigs on a roof trying to not fall into the big bad wolf's mouth? Haha.

I was lucky and scored the NES with the Olympics game and the running pad. I totally sucked at that game.

Duck Hunt owns!!! I had a red/orange zapper.

dp102288
12-01-06, 10:59 PM
The NOS was the best...my best 1/4 mile time was a fully done Vette with NOS...7.43 seconds. I will always remember that!

Shit, some cars can't do 0-60 that fast! :rofl: