: Road Course Tires Needed ~ Which Ones?...Attention Trackers...

Chef
11-27-06, 10:05 AM
Fellow trackers please chime in as to what slicks/semi slick rubber that can also double as a "to and from" tire. At the end of the day it doesn't have to be a dual set up - Right now I'm on 275r, 245f GS-D3's.

I'm looking at these now -

Kumho V710
Nitto 555 RII
Hoosier

Thanks in advance -
Chef

ronr
11-27-06, 10:10 AM
I was very happy with the Falken RT-615's I ran this year. Much better than the S-03 Pole Positions I ran last year and equal to the stock F1's but when I got done there was still rubber left on the 615's (unlike the F1's which were shot.)

Dennisscars
11-27-06, 10:14 AM
When I first started I drove my track rubber to the track, until I picked up a nail and missed my event. Now I have a track only set.

My son runs the Kumho V710's on his GTO. They stick like glue, dry.

I run the NT01's. Very predicable and sticky. Actually corner better than expected in the rain.

RAD69
11-27-06, 11:16 AM
You need to consider how sticky they are, how long they last, how they perform on a heavy car, and perhaps wet performance.

On a previous car I ran the V710s - cheap, great traction, great treadlife. They are pretty goos in the rain too. I think there are better tires for heavy cars, they did chunk a little. That was my only complaint.

The Hoosiers stick way better, but run worse in the rain, and they do not last nearly as long. You can burn up a set of Hoosiers in two track days depending on the number of sessions you run and how hard you push the car. A pro could kill them in 1 day. I would not drive them to the track unless you are real close and there is no chance of rain.

The RT-615s are actually a street tire, not a true r-compound. They will be good in the rain and last way longer - but not stick as well. They are prolly the most sticky street tire out there and will serve a dual setup. Certainly fine for a "to and from"

I do not know much about the Nittos, sorry.

You could also consider the Yokos or the Toyos, although the RA-1 does not come in our size, and the yokos do not seem to come in 18s...

pinnacle71
11-27-06, 11:29 AM
I love my Hoosiers on track, but I wouldn't drive them there. 4 wheels fit just fine in the back seat - I use Tire Totes (http://www.motivation-design.com/tiretote/) to keep things clean.

--Greg

Feffman
11-27-06, 11:47 AM
Below is the list I've compiled for CTS-V track tires. Most are strictly track tires, but the Bridgestone RE-01 (Tire Rack is raving about these),
Yokohama A048 (same tire as the Lotus Elise) are likely your best bets for a "to and from" tires. I haven't decided on a track tire yet.

One of MVP Track Time's (http://www.mvptracktime.com) instructors (older 911RS) runs the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup and drives them to the track. Last year he put 3,500 miles on the Pilot Cups with driving to the track and on the track. MUCH lighter car then our V!

If your trip to the track is short, say under 30-50 miles, I'd drive on them but as noted your track tires will fit in the back seat/trunk! Catch a nail on the drive there and you've wasted a track day.

Yokohama Advan A048 235/40-18
Advan A005

Bridgestone RE-01R 245/45-18

Goodyear Eagle RS 245/40-18

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 235/40-18

Pirelli P Zero Corsa 235/40-18

Toyo Proxes RA-1 245/40-18

Hankook Ventus Z214 245/40-18

Kuhmo Ecsta V710 245/35-18
Ecsta V70A 245/35-18

Nitto NT 01 245/40-18

Falken Azenis RT-615 245/40-18

Good luck and Hppy Motoring!

Mark "Feff" Pfeffer

V-rooooom
11-27-06, 03:37 PM
I ran BF Goodrich KDs on my 2000 Camaro SS. They were pretty sticky on and off course but are more of a road course tire vs. drag strip.

Chef
11-27-06, 04:33 PM
Good info guys!:thumbsup:

Thanks for your input!

Chef

dvandentop
11-27-06, 06:56 PM
I loved the toyo ra-1 i had on my vette, i drove on street and track with them very good tires!

V-Love
11-27-06, 07:28 PM
I recommend tires with a grip rating of 50. Its really my instructors advise. Also a good tire guage. I never knew the tiny triangle arrows under at the edge of the tire is where they should be wearing to. There is a lot to learn at the track. Good luck Chef.

C66 Racing
11-27-06, 10:30 PM
Chef,
Tires are a compromise of many factors. Do you want a tire that performs the best in the dry, but don't care about tread life (e.g. what I want for racing)? Do you want a tire that you can safely drive to and from the track on? Do you want a good track tire that has decent life?

The answer to these questions will lead you towards tires of fairly different performance, life, and design.

I'd classify track tires into three groups. Tirerack is an excellent resource. Take a look at the UTQG ratings on the tires. The lower the rating, the softer the tire, meaning better grip, but less life and harder to drive (in general).

UTQG ratings:
Full DOT competition tires:
Goodyear GS-CS - 20
Kumho V710 - 30
Hoosier R6 - 40
Kumho V700 - 50

Intermediate track tires:
Yokohama Advan A048 - 60
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup - 80
Toyo RA-1 - 100
Nitto 555RII - 100

High Performance Street Tires:
Yokohama AVS Sport - 180
BFG G-Force TA KD - 200
Goodyear F1-SC - 220
Toyo T1-S - 280
Nitto 555 - 300

The above list is far from complete, but representative of the tires in each group. As you can see, there is soft, there is soft, and there is soft. Many guys who DE regularly use tires from the middle group as a compromise.

Further complicating your decision process is available sizing. If you decide to get dedicated track tires, I would carefully consider the tire with the wheel size choice as you may buy wheels of the size you want, then find you can't get tires to match. :cheers: