: oil change

VilleBilly
11-27-06, 12:16 AM
What oil do you recommend for my first oil change on a 2000 ETC? Also, the local dealer sent me a 60,000 mile service notice. Is it nessecary and what is involved?

GreenMachine
11-27-06, 07:54 AM
5w-30 should be good to go, I'm not certain if 2000's came Synthetic, more info can be found in your manual, which also may contain a service interval, at the very least look over what they want done at 60,000 and see what could have been missed while it was sitting on the dealer lot, that car is due for a coolant change if it hasn't been done already. Using the forum search feature there are many threads on that, mine is here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/78091-oil-change-coolant-change-friday.html

If you are going to be changing it yourself there are threads that state making something to sneak in and turn the valve at the radiator, it should come up in a search, would have saved me much mess (on the otherhand i learned dexcool all over the driveway will lift oil right off it).

Good luck.

EcSTSatic
11-27-06, 08:36 AM
:welcome:
Use whatever oil your owners manual recommends and your engine will thank you for it. There have been many discussions here regarding filters. Avoid Fram they say.

Clever login name BTW. :thumbsup:

dp102288
11-27-06, 09:24 AM
Yeah, nice forum name!

Agree with check the book. Some engines took 10w-30 and some took5w-30. It might even say on the engine oil cap.

Don't bother with what the dealer says should be done, just go with what the manual says. The dealer by me tries to tack on a lot of stuff to what the manual says for each servie interval.

Ranger
11-27-06, 01:07 PM
The factory spec'd 5W30 conventional. No need for synthetic unless that is your personal preference. 5W30 was used to satisfy CAFE. I still use 10W30.

The 60,000 mile service notice is to get you in the door and see what they can sell you. If you know absolutely nothing about cars and would not know a leaking radiator if you saw one, then it may not be a bad idea, but be prepared for "you need this and that done" to the tune of $$$$$$$$$$$$. You will not get out with just an oil change (unless of coarse you refuse any recommended work, which may or may not be needed). If "flushes" (engine, trans & cooling system) are recommended, Run, don't walk away.

dp102288
11-29-06, 09:15 AM
Engine flush...I am scared to even ask! :getaway:

Hey, but I thought coolant flushes are okay. Are they bad?

Ranger
11-29-06, 11:23 AM
The only "bad" thing about a coolant flush is that unless you use distilled water, you are introducing unwanted minerals (calcium, lime, iron etc) into the system. Plus you never get all the water out so unless the coolant is checked with a refractometer and then adjusted to get a 50/50 mix you'll probably be on the lite side of 50/50. Now that said, I do not know how much these added minerals hurt anything (if at all), but a flush is probably not needed unless you have rust forming in an iron engine that needs to be flushed out or some other sediment that is clogging the heater core. Where these sediments would come from I don't know. That's why I think flushes are basically unnecassary money makers for the flusher.

EcSTSatic
11-29-06, 12:57 PM
Good summary Ranger.
So we should flush the idea! :hide:

dp102288
11-30-06, 11:46 AM
^^ damn that was bad! :p

Okay, flushes not really evil, just probably not needed. Thanks.