: Are drivers more curtious when you aren't driving the Caddy?

SpeedyArizona
11-26-06, 06:50 PM
So today I had to make a Walmart run and decided to break in the Escape (which I absolutely love:thumbsup:). So I pull out of my driveway and after I leave the checkpoint, I merge onto the Loop 101. After driving awhile, I need to merge to get to the exit and the car behind me automatically gives me room. I get to Walmart and get my spot. After an hour, I get back in and start driving home. Again, a car lets me merge and I have no problem being cut off or stuck in the merging lane.

After I get home, I start thinking. It seems to me that people are more curtious when I drive my plain-jane Escape instead of the Caddy or Porsche. I've gotten cut off numerous times while driving both (more-so the Porsche than Caddy)and people seem to drive more aggressively when they see an expensive vehicle instead of a regular Chevy/Ford/ etc.

Anybody here noticed it when they drive something more plain versus a more high-end vehicle? Food for thought:thepan: ...

JRau
11-26-06, 08:08 PM
Hmm, interesting observation. I would guess with a Porsche, people would be trying to show off and "beat out" a Porsche. I don't get it with the Cadillac though, unless you drive it differently (more agressively, for instance) than the Escape.

I think it's more about how a person is driving that influences this type of behavior, unless you're driving a really fast car--like the Porsche.

Escapes are nice--I like 'em alot.

JRau in central Iowa

DILLIGAF
11-26-06, 08:54 PM
Good looks or dirty looks,no in between.I drive very aggressive in traffic.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-26-06, 09:09 PM
Well when I drive my brother's '96 Nissan Sentra (1.6L, Auto boooh!) I drive VERY conservatively. That thing can't outrun it's shadow and any sort of accident in that car would be fatal. I don't drive my mom's '05 Highlander and I drive my dad's '97 Lumina like my brother's Sentra mainly because it doesn't have much in the power department and it's not my car.

gary88
11-26-06, 09:20 PM
People seem to respect Cadillacs around here, I don't really get much trouble on the road :highfive:

Rolex
11-26-06, 09:20 PM
In short yes. In fact on 2 occasions I've had low class dirtbags go out of their way to start trouble with me on local parking lots (on both occasions I turned the other cheek). One of those I posted on here several months back and the other I didn't bother to post.

I believe my Escalade attracts a certain amount of "negative energy" from a certain kind of people. In short, you're a rich phallus when you drive an Escalade and some people won't miss the opportunity to give you hell for it.

One of the docs I trained under in residency owned a Porsche 911. I completely understand what he meant when he said, "driving a Porsche automatically makes you an arsehol to everybody else on the road."

YMMV

codewize
11-26-06, 09:26 PM
I wouldn't know, all three of my cars are Cadillac. I've gotten to the point where I run people over when they f with me. However I do agree with whats being said.

I was having a discussion regarding door dings and the cost of cars one day when a family walked buy and said well anyone that pays that much for a car is stupid. So you're right. Having some money, or at least good taste automatically makes you a bad person.

Stoneage_Caddy
11-26-06, 09:30 PM
yeah , its nice everyonce in awhile to drive a chevy ...its not near as much of a chore as it is driving the caddy ...

to drive the deville ANYWHERE is a pain in the ass , becuse everyone assumes that its an old man driving , people pull right out infront of me , cut me off , dont let me pass , run right beside me ...but boy are they surpised when they piss me off and the window comes down and its me in there screming at them and all......as much as i love the damn thing it really is a pain in my ass ....cant wait till i have room to get something to else to drive around in like a GTO ....Its a great car for long distances , but city driving with the *****s down here sucks ....

I jump in the MAXX and i can go anywhere and do anything without much stress ...It blends in nicely ...yet stands out enough that i can find it in a parking lot ...

But dads Hybrid GMC ....thats another story ....not so much traffic but attention....every time im out i have to explain to some tree huggin hippie that "yes it is a hyrbid" and hen explain the features ....sometime i hate that huge sticker ont he windsheild that says "GM HYBRID" ...its bright green and everyone sees it or the little embalems on the sides or tailgate ...Then i have to explain that "no it doesnt get really great milage , its still a good ol american pickup truck with a american V8" ...then they say "well whyd you et it?"....I shrug and point at the 2 110v outlets in the bed and say "i can power a home theater system for tailgate partys"

Rolex
11-26-06, 09:43 PM
.Then i have to explain that "no it doesnt get really great milage , its still a good ol american pickup truck with a american V8" ...then they say "well whyd you et it?"....I shrug and point at the 2 110v outlets in the bed and say "i can power a home theater system for tailgate partys"

You're my boy blue! :D :highfive:

AlBundy
11-26-06, 09:46 PM
I get the lift headed glance out of one eye to see what kind of person old/young is driving the lac. Yes people try to cut me off but are very upset when I let them know that I also have a say so in that cut-off game(WOT).

Benzilla
11-26-06, 10:06 PM
I used to get the whole granny ride issue in my '96 Deville, but the older caddys don't have that problem for me. The only time I get treated different than normal is the occasional thumbs up/honk.

P.S. I drive like a coke head with a deathwish, if that makes a difference...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-26-06, 10:08 PM
People generally respect my car on the road. I can think of a few times when I was nearly run off the road by a fully loaded class 8 semi truck when I got onto the freeway, but other than that, people generally leave me alone.

Jon
11-26-06, 10:27 PM
I get the exact opposite.

I have a 11 year old Ford Windstar (that looks brand new) that I use as a daily driver/winter and for school.

When I'm driving my V, people are much more courteous. Plus if anyone doesn't want to let me merge, well, I don't give them a choice. I just downshift and fly by them.

CIWS
11-26-06, 10:49 PM
Around here it usually doesn't matter what you drive, except maybe a police car.

Stoneage_Caddy
11-26-06, 10:55 PM
you guys got it made tho ...one blip of the throttle and the problem goes away ....for good ...

me ....i gotta shove the pedal and wait for the tranny to decide what gear is best for what id like to do ....then it asks someone in washington if it is ok to uncork the 4.9 , then it puts it to a majority vote bewteen all four computers ...theres two partys involoved and a bit of fillbustering.....then makes sure the fuel system is willing to spew massive ammounts of black smoke dureing the manuver....finally it comes up with an idea ....and i get one of two things ....a one gear kick down resulting in accleration that was as if i was towing a chevy suburban full of lead , or i get a 2nd gear tire shreeking top fuel take off .....either way the experence is like a badnight at a vegas craps table ....

i miss working at cadillac and driving CTS-Vs ....

97DevilleBeige
11-26-06, 10:57 PM
I get the same problem that Stonage mentioned.

Everybody assumes since it's a DeVille, it'll be really slow on the road because some old person is probably driving it, so I am constantly on a daily basis fighting to break through packs of cars that form on highways and no one moves up or down so I can pass them. It is definitely one big pain.

I haven't had that problem while driving a taurus, 325i, camry, or grand cherokee. Nobody wants me to pass them in my car, and since it's my daily driver, it's a pain I go through day in and day out.

davesdeville
11-27-06, 01:35 AM
In the 75 everyone's courteous, lets me merge as soon as my signal comes on, doesn't cut me off, etc. I assume it's because they know I'll destroy their car if we collide.

In the ETC or Mark VIII, people aren't especially courteous, but aren't particularly bad either. I can usually out-power most things and get my way in traffic anyway.

In my parents 98 P71 Crown Vic, people get the hell out of my way at all costs. I love driving that thing, if only it had some balls..

Wiseguy2
11-27-06, 04:27 AM
Ha! I love driving the STS because, compared to the BMWs, people are far nicer to you. Heck, even here in North Jersey BMWs still seem to be targets for hatred. Seeing as most BMW drivers are total *****s, I'm not surprised either.

The worst is driving something like the Ferrari, then you get people crowding you, taking cell phone camera pics, etc.. but they usually let you in, probably afraid of smacking into it.

SpeedyArizona
11-27-06, 09:05 AM
One of the docs I trained under in residency owned a Porsche 911. I completely understand what he meant when he said, "driving a Porsche automatically makes you an arsehol to everybody else on the road."

Porsche, BMW, Mercedes seem to be targeted all the time around here. Everyone seems to either cut you off, flip you off, or just plainly f*** with you. I love driving the 911 but it's a pain to take it out on the interstate anymore. The worst is when some young arsehole is driving their old POS Toyota won't let you pass them.

It's funny but I rarely see a Lexus being pushed around...

dp102288
11-27-06, 10:19 AM
People are nicer to me when I drive the Eldo vs my dad's Vette. They think Vette and want to show me up or something. I don't mind, maybe they're horrible in bed or something.

People are nice in my Eldo, but the mean people soon realize that a 3800 lb car with a V8 is a danger to their ecno-box. I try to be nice to others though, but sometimes it doesn't work (to fools cutting me off).

But I notice that I drive more reckless in our 89 Regal than my Eldo. Since that is an old ass car, I take turns faster, floor it more, and am just not careful. Anyone else drive more carefully in their Caddys than in other cars?

RobertCTS
11-27-06, 11:12 AM
I just don't see that kind of driving here in Ohio. Very seldom do I get cut off or get scorned looks when I drive my Caddy. More often what I get is admiring looks and thumbs up. I've had guys play with me and wanna race me but that's not often.

What I see a lot here is people driving in the left passing lane and no one is around them. It's like they completely forget where they are at.

dp102288
11-28-06, 09:27 AM
I hang in the left lane a lot in my Eldo, but that's because I am doing 80 in a 50 while everyone else is doing 65! :burn:

gothicaleigh
11-28-06, 09:42 AM
I'm in Michigan. The CTS is about as common as it gets around here. No one even notices it, much less bothers it (the complete opposite of when I first bought it in '02; now they are everywhere). There aren't many Cadillacs that would turn heads in Michigan (the XLR or something really modified perhaps), this has to be one of their largest markets.

On the other hand, people love to mess with my poor little e30. Between large vehicles not seeing it and every kid in an econo-box wanting to prove something to a BMW and acting like a jack-arse in the process, I'm surprised it's survived this long.

Jon
11-28-06, 11:08 PM
I'm in Michigan. The CTS is about as common as it gets around here. No one even notices it, much less bothers it (the complete opposite of when I first bought it in '02; now they are everywhere). There aren't many Cadillacs that would turn heads in Michigan (the XLR or something really modified perhaps), this has to be one of their largest markets.

On the other hand, people love to mess with my poor little e30. Between large vehicles not seeing it and every kid in an econo-box wanting to prove something to a BMW and acting like a jack-arse in the process, I'm surprised it's survived this long.
I know what you mean... The CTS is WAY too common now. Ever since they came out with the 2.8L, the streets have been flooded with it. Plus, the resale value stinks cause of the 2.8L too.

Benzilla
11-28-06, 11:29 PM
Everybody in Detroit drives a black STS, I must have seen about 2 million in the week I was there. Also, everything with a roof has a sim-con top on it. I even saw a Dodge Intrepid with one on it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-29-06, 12:07 AM
Regarding BMW's, I have this feeling that everyone regards the drivers as *******s (well it's not really a feeling, it's more of a fact...) But anyways, a Honda CR-V will pass you and cut you off and you don't really care about it, but whenever a BMW does it, you explode and hunt the guy down. It's when you buy a BMW, everyone else automatically thinks you're like the most aggressive driver ever, even if you drive like Aunt Tilda in her '81 Town Car. I feel kinda bad for the good BMW drivers, ya know, the ones that drive sanely and like a normal human being.

Stoneage_Caddy
11-29-06, 12:11 AM
well thats becuse there are two types of BMW drivers , the ones that bought it as something to brag about , and ones that know what they are capable of , buying them for the knife edge handleing ....
the ratio is like this , for every 10 BMW owners , 9.9 of them are the *****s that bought the symbol , the other .1 are the ones that can acutally drive the damn thing and not look like an ass doing it ....

but , ill take a BMW driver over a corolla/camry driver any day ....THEY are the worst of the worst ....and account for 90% of the cars here in tampa ...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-29-06, 12:19 AM
I'd be the educated buyer! Not the one who buys it to look cool and be a conformist (of sorts).

Stoneage_Caddy
11-29-06, 12:48 AM
once upon a time ...it was down to a 97 3 series and the deville .....i got no regrets ....cept when i see a autocross coming up on my calander ...

Wiseguy2
11-29-06, 01:48 AM
well thats becuse there are two types of BMW drivers , the ones that bought it as something to brag about , and ones that know what they are capable of , buying them for the knife edge handleing ....
the ratio is like this , for every 10 BMW owners , 9.9 of them are the *****s that bought the symbol , the other .1 are the ones that can acutally drive the damn thing and not look like an ass doing it ....

but , ill take a BMW driver over a corolla/camry driver any day ....THEY are the worst of the worst ....and account for 90% of the cars here in tampa ...

BINGO!

They are the kind of people who say things like "Why do I need a manual, I can switch gears with my steptronic" and put great big chrome wheels on their cars and the like. They often hang out on e46fanatics.

Stoneage_Caddy
11-29-06, 01:53 AM
Im just lucky i was properly educated on the BMWs .....the race shop i worked for when i was in highschool not only delt with VW racecars , but our bread and buter was the BMW 2002 and late 70s to mid 80s 3 series cars ....converting them into SCCA racecars ...

I have a hard time with the new BMWs , there nice ....but the 2002 stole my heart ....The last Great BMW was the M5 in the mid 90s (E34?)

RightTurn
11-29-06, 08:16 AM
Are other drivers less courteous when I'm not driving the cadi? Hmmmmm. NO. In the Houston area, everyone drives like an asshat. Hoopdy or Batmobile, no diff.

dp102288
11-29-06, 10:47 AM
^^ :rofl: Damn that must sucks for your Caddy.