: Homestead Raceway is top or the line. NASA is great.

V-Love
11-26-06, 05:40 PM
Just got in from NASA's Homestead event. It was really fun. There are all kinds of cars at these things. Ferrari's, Porche, Vettes, Vipers, Evo's Mustang's, Lotus's, stock cars, open wheel Formula 1 looking cars, Shelby Cobra lookin cars, old school open box lookin cars with sidepipes, EVERYONE comes to these events. Even fast girls. Oh yeah, there was one lone Cadillac CTS-V. Bone stock and runnin' with the radio on. I tried to rep the Caddy well. I get good response from people on the looks and my instructors all like the way it drives.
My last session today I started pole and was able to hold off the whole line-up except for two very fast Vettes. I also ran out of gas on Saturday(ouch) and drove off into the gravel(double ouch) during session 2 today. The worst part about that is the black flag comes out and I ruined the last 8 minutes of the session for everyone else. On the other hand, I know the tow truck guys now. They were real friendly and they were extra careful with my car.
I think I am almost ready for level 2 but I will never ask. I like driving with instructors so I'm gonna wait untill they tell me to go for the checkout ride. You really learn a lot from each one and they all teach in a different style. I figure the more instruction I can recieve the better. Plus, its included. What a deal!
I did heat up the brakes and discolor them. They look almost gold in the front. I know a few others have done this. What are the corrective measures? I just replaced the fluid the day before with stock GM stuff. I'm a little mad but ahhhhhhhhhh, I can't be mad. Its too much fun. I just have to fix it.
Whomever hasn't taken thier V to a driving event, your missing some real fun and some quality people. Just driving into Homestead Raceway and pulling into my own garage where the NASCAR guys were a week prior was worth the time and money. Plus, I can go sit at any turn and watch how people drive them to learn the lines better. Man, I felt like Dale Earnhardt. SWEET!

Dennisscars
11-26-06, 06:53 PM
Great write up.. I agree with staying with an instructor as long as you want.. they're free and each one will tell you something different. Ask one to lead/ follow so you can see the line they are trying to tell you about. Don't worry about fast, fast comes after smooth. I've had the fastest laps when I didn't think about going fast.

Gas gauge does not keep up with use.. don't even get close to 1/4 tank. under high g RH turn it'll run dry and people will give you the evil eye.

One instructor asked me if I was going to turn off the A/C? I told him Nawh.. plenty of power.. While in Hot pits at Buttonwillow, around 100degrees, I had the windows rolled up with the A/C going and the seat reclined back. the open car guys were dying wanting to come sit in my car..

One time I had Ted blasting "I can't drive 55" on warm up lap, the corner workers thought that was great..

Keep going, the more you go the more you'll want to go.

Woody_MI
11-27-06, 12:37 AM
One time I had Ted blasting "I can't drive 55" on warm up lap, the corner workers thought that was great..

I don't recall Ted doing a version of "I can't drive 55" but I know Sammy Hagar did, but Stranglehold by Ted is another awesome tune to crank in the car! :thumbsup:

nikon
11-27-06, 09:00 AM
man...I know I saw you there...I unfortunately f'ud and slept in till 8am w/a 2 hour drive ahead of me...I had just missed the class, so I couldnt drive...it did look fun though...I guess Ill have to wait for the next event in moroso.

Dennisscars
11-27-06, 10:07 AM
Doh... :duh: ok music is not my strong point..

csp3000
11-27-06, 11:22 AM
man...I know I saw you there...I unfortunately f'ud and slept in till 8am w/a 2 hour drive ahead of me...I had just missed the class, so I couldnt drive...it did look fun though...I guess Ill have to wait for the next event in moroso.

:duh: That sucks bro. First I had to cancel and then you over sleep... lol Well at least we will both be at the race at Moroso. :thumbsup: Oh and props V-Love I am happy somebody was there repin the caddies:highfive: See you also at Moroso :)

V-Love
11-27-06, 07:21 PM
I'm on vacation till Jan. 15th. I leave Thursday so I'll miss the next few events but I'll be back for some more soon. Good luck to you guys when you go. Its intense.