: Kooks & Tune vs Non Results Inside****

CTS-V420
11-26-06, 04:12 PM
well for the past few weeks Brian (ctsvfllorida) and I have been trying to get a race together to see exactly the difference between my V (Magnaflow exhaust, Volant CAI) vs his V (Magnaflow exhaust, Ligenfelter CAI, KOOKs w/ NO Cats, and STEAL V TUNE)
pretty much ...kooks and tune vs non
Well I can tell you that the sound alone is worht about $500. His car sounds AMAZING. (same sounding idle but when its in full throtle it SCREAMS)
We went from every roll possible to about all speeds.
My car was about 200 pounds heaver due to luggag,passenger & system**
but HERE ARE THE RESULTS with OUT the WEIGHT(figure 1.5 cars)
mph
1st gear roll (20ish) to about 100 Brian's V pulled 3 cars(1.5)lengths
2nd gear(40ish-100ish) to about 100 Brian's V pulled 2.5-3 cars(1-2)lengths
2nd gear(40-130) Brian PULLED ABOUT 5 CARS LENGTHS(easy 4 )
2nd gear (35-125) Brian PULLED ABOUT 4.5 LENGTHS (easy 3 w/ more 2 go
3rd gear(30-90) Brian pulled 2 cars (only .5) lengths
3rd gear(50-110) Brian pulled about 3.5 cars (2 cars)

***came down to When we hit about 90-100+ Brian's KOOKs and Stealth V tune would really start to pull and keeep+ going. (3.5 car true car lenghts)
but UNFORNUNATLY every run under 100 decently seemed close : (
(only about 1 true car length)
but still I can't praise enough the sound of Brian's V!

Alex

dqw1
11-26-06, 04:45 PM
Thanks for putting the info up here. Confirms my next steps. I have your setup right now(Magnaflow + LPE CAI). HushH came out my way and showed what a tune will do. He still had his stock exhaust at the time but that thing would pull and it sounded incredible at WOT when he left my house.

BowenCT
11-26-06, 05:19 PM
Great, now I have to buy a set of Kooks and get a StealthV tune!

Excellent comparison. Definately should have tried to reduce that weight from your car.........200lbs is a significant amount. Either way, well done.

ctsvflorida
11-26-06, 05:40 PM
Yes, me and CTS-V420 (Alex) had our fun and what he posted is of, course, accurate. Very good guy, to say the least! A couple of comments may be that my car still has this feeling that my traction control is always on as it hesitates during every shift when shifting hard. I guess that I lose a 1/4 car on every shift. I tried a different PCM from Rick a few times and it just won't go away! I am not blaming Rick but it is something with my car and to tell the truth, I am sure if it is good as it has probably saved my rear from blowing. At any rate it was a lot of fun and my opinion is that headers will give you more in your revs and barely anything as far as torque goes! Any questions as to the gains that will be had with headers, I will only try and answer them. The gains were just about what I expected from a lightly modded V as I know what it takes to gain car lengths.

P.S. As far as the weigh goes, can anyone tell us what system weighs approximately? I guessed with a sub some amps, maybe 50lbs. His luggage I figured 80lbs. and I weigh 275lbs so that should cover the weight of him and the little woman. If I had to guess, the weight was 130lbs. and my car had 5 lbs of dirt on it! :)

One more thing, his blacked out stuff looks excellent and the magnaflow exhaust alone also sounds excellent as I forgot what it sounded like since the kooks and no cats! Very nice!

CTS-BV
11-26-06, 07:50 PM
well for the past few weeks Brian (ctsvfllorida) and I have been trying to get a race together to see exactly the difference between my V (Magnaflow exhaust, Volant CAI) vs his V (Magnaflow exhaust, Ligenfelter CAI, KOOKs w/ NO Cats, and STEAL V TUNE)
pretty much ...kooks and tune vs non
Well I can tell you that the sound alone is worht about $500. His car sounds AMAZING. (same sounding idle but when its in full throtle it SCREAMS)
We went from every roll possible to about all speeds.
My car was about 200 pounds heaver due to luggag,passenger & system**
but HERE ARE THE RESULTS with OUT the WEIGHT(figure 1.5 cars)
mph
1st gear roll (20ish) to about 100 Brian's V pulled 3 cars(1.5)lengths
2nd gear(40ish-100ish) to about 100 Brian's V pulled 2.5-3 cars(1-2)lengths
2nd gear(40-130) Brian PULLED ABOUT 5 CARS LENGTHS(easy 4 )
2nd gear (35-125) Brian PULLED ABOUT 4.5 LENGTHS (easy 3 w/ more 2 go
3rd gear(30-90) Brian pulled 2 cars (only .5) lengths
3rd gear(50-110) Brian pulled about 3.5 cars (2 cars)

***came down to When we hit about 90-100+ Brian's KOOKs and Stealth V tune would really start to pull and keeep+ going. (3.5 car true car lenghts)
but UNFORNUNATLY every run under 100 decently seemed close : (
(only about 1 true car length)
but still I can't praise enough the sound of Brian's V!

Alex

Can you re-race without the passenger, luggage and stereo system? I think a totally stock CTS-V would pull away from you as described minus those things, don't you?

CTS-BV

StealthV
11-26-06, 10:44 PM
Brian - New hypothesis - Is your exhaust/headers hitting/clanging/bumping something during a hardshift and the torque shock? If it were, it would cause false knock and briefly pull some timing right after the shift. It's something like that...:hmm:...got a laptop? I'll set you up with some data logging software.

CTS-V420
11-26-06, 10:46 PM
For all you drooling over the KOOKs and Tune bc of the difference, me on the other hand....
Although I did lvoe the sound. Better than I expected. It was only loud at WOT. but when it was WOT it sounded perfect. I think/know a dyno tune would be good for about most of the HP, so Ill prolly end up jsut getting a good Dyno tune and make my car more drivable..New clutch & LW flywheel, Short shifter (UUC), and a good tune.
Brian- good day and the KOOKs sounded great/and the highway pull was insane..but I think I want power before 100mph
Great day and sure put it all togther
Yea we can go again..Ill have to take out the system. but yea we will def do it again. Also brian would go on my accleration, so he would have a little disadvantage even though I would ease on it to try to make it as even race as possible

^^^^now he replies Brian LOL

StealthV
11-26-06, 11:57 PM
Sorry, my mistake for just coming up with a new idea this evening. :rolleyes:

ctsvflorida
11-27-06, 08:05 AM
Sorry, my mistake for just coming up with a new idea this evening. :rolleyes:

I don't even know what this means but anyway, it has been doing this from day one so I have no clue what it is or what it could be! I could always bring it to the dealer but it would wipe out your tune. I do have a laptop but would prolly be quite lost in what to do. I am planning more work very soon and the tune will more than likely need to be a dyno tune so it is possibly not even worth the trouble anymore! I am lost at this point. I guess I will get it on a lift and look for something from the exhaust just to be sure.

rand49er
11-27-06, 12:14 PM
Brian - New hypothesis - Is your exhaust/headers hitting/clanging/bumping something during a hardshift and the torque shock? If it were, it would cause false knock and briefly pull some timing right after the shift. It's something like that...:hmm:...got a laptop? I'll set you up with some data logging software.Sounds plausible to me. Data logging would nail it.

ctsvflorida
11-27-06, 12:19 PM
Sounds plausible to me. Data logging would nail it.

My dealer is pretty good and will do this test for me I'll bet. Can they trouble shoot it with their equipment while driving it as well? This will make it easier on you Rick and I thank you for your time.

rand49er
11-27-06, 02:30 PM
... Can they trouble shoot it with their equipment while driving it as well? ...That's a good question. Usually, they like to stay in their shop. Guess what they're gonna do if Rick is right.

ctsvflorida
11-27-06, 04:47 PM
That's a good question. Usually, they like to stay in their shop. Guess what they're gonna do if Rick is right.

They're cool, they'll do whatever is needed but I don't want the tune removed, if possible.

CTS-BV
01-11-07, 10:38 AM
They're cool, they'll do whatever is needed but I don't want the tune removed, if possible.

Scanning/Logging is different than Reflashing. If they merely scan it, your program is in no danger.

Good Luck

CTS-BV

TrazzNJ
01-11-07, 09:02 PM
Has anyone tried the Stainless works headers and exhaust??