: Major computer problem. Please help me if you can

Dadillac
11-26-06, 04:02 PM
This morning I tried logging onto my pc, and had an error message come up. It read lsass.exe systen error.The endpoint format is invalid. When this message popped up the only option was clicking "okay". That would start the boot process over again until the message would reappear. I took my daughters computer and am using that one. From what I have learned it is a device issue or a virus. The pc worked okay last night but when I turned it off for the evening it wouldn't turn back on. Now for what I have done so far. My pc is a Sony Vaio model PCV-RS410. It was set-up with three drives. C drive was about 11gb, D drive was about 100gb, and it had a recovery drive. Problem I had was I couldn't access the recovery drive because the computer wouldn't boot up. I tried entering safe mode but was unsuccessful. So since my pc had Windows XP Home installed, and so does my daughters, same version, I used her recovery disc. Here is where it gets funny. The disc worked, but now I have only one large C drive that is 111gb. My D drive is now my DVD/CD Rom. I cannot adjust my screen resolution, and it says I have no sound device.

Can anything be done at this point aside from buying a new pc? Also does anyone have any idea what may have caused this issue in the first place? Please help. Thanks

Don

xxpinballxx
11-26-06, 04:22 PM
well now that it at least booted up is there a restore point set....I would now reboot in safe mode search for that lsass.exe executable file and delete it.
the reboot again and see if its all okay.....

urbanski
11-26-06, 04:32 PM
well you already did the recovery.....so it really doesnt matter right? wiped out your old OS. Now you have one big partition. Time to start reinstalling your apps and making some new folders. Its one big PITA to make new partitions now.
lsass.exe is a system process, and a virus! Same names
http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/lsass.exe.html

xxpinballxx
11-26-06, 04:36 PM
Yeah pretty clever way to throw a virus in. Search and get both and delete both and you need the system file for logins and such....
I hate people that have nothing better to do than use their knowledge to ruin peoples computer just to say "hey I did it!"
One of my friends thought he would be smart and bomb my email so in return I wired his horn to his brakes!
DOn't know if he ever fixed it.....drove him crazy for about 3 months...he's not very mechanically inclined.

pimpin88
11-26-06, 06:05 PM
Hahaha, points. well, it wont let me give them to you. I have to spread them around. next time though.

Dadillac
11-26-06, 06:36 PM
I can boot the computer up now, but everything is gone. I will deal with that. But here is what I am in need of knowing. There shows no sound device. I know that there is a sound device, as it worked yesterday. Also there is one on my daughters computer (it should have been in the recovery disc?), and I cannot use my dvd/cd rom drive to install the software for the flat panel monitor. So I have no adjustment for the resolution, and it is set extremely large and grainy. Is there a way to repair that? Apparently the devices that are on her pc are different than the ones on my pc, so the recovery messes that up? I also do not have my old recovery file. Help

Don

urbanski
11-26-06, 07:12 PM
you need the drivers for the video card and the sound card/chip.
unfortunately, you need to know the name/model of the sound card, browse their website for the driver.
the LCD itself wont need drivers, but your video card will...same thing, need model and browse its website. sorry man, PITA :gasp:

CIWS
11-26-06, 07:32 PM
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=PCVRS410&UpdateType=Everything

urbanski
11-26-06, 07:35 PM
or do whatever CIWS says...since, trust me, he knows everything :)

CIWS
11-26-06, 07:36 PM
No do what you said, I just provided the page with all of those drivers :)

codewize
11-26-06, 09:51 PM
When you used the recovery disk you set the thing back to factory specs. All previously stored restore points are lost. The reason you can't change the resolution is because the drivers for the video aren't installed, Shame on Sony. The reason you have no sound device is because the drivers for the sound chip aren't installed. Shame on Sony.

All those things should have gotten done bu the recovery disc. At the very least the driver installs should be on the recovery disc.

Incidentally lsass.exe is a critical Windows process which manages login and security information. It stands for Local Security Authority Service. Although some have reported it as a virus or trojan, that's because they were reporting an infected version. The file in it's native form is supposed to and must be present for Windows to function. If the file becomes infected with the Sasser worm it will cause the system to become unstable and possibly unusable.

Dadillac
11-26-06, 10:29 PM
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=PCVRS410&UpdateType=Everything

Hey man thanks alot. Do you think that I should download the whole lot? I would assume that if the computer doesn't need it, or can't use it, I would just be wasting time? Right?

Don

railven
11-26-06, 10:31 PM
You didn't specifcy if your daughter's recovery disk was for the same model of computer as yours because if it wasn't you gave yourself more work then you needed. [So those shame on Sony comments might be a bit premature :)]

I find it odd that you'd have one 111GB drive unless originally you had one drive with two partitions. I've never experienced any operating system installation in which it merged two seperate drives into one large partition unless again it had something to do with your daughter's recovery disc.

Using a recovery disc does as one said restoring a computer to factory default but if you use it for the wrong computer it can mix things up a bunch.

First find your own recovery disc and run that if you don't have it try to just install the OS off your daughter's recovery disc not do a full recovery.

You can set your partitions up as you install the OS but most likely all your prior data is gone. You can recovery a lot of it by not doing a low-level format, just a quick, after it destroys and recreates the partitions you can use scanning software to reconstruct them and allow you to extract some files.

It is a PITA but it happens.

Good luck Dadillac.

Dadillac
11-26-06, 10:32 PM
I probably left out a piece of critical info in my original post. My daughters computer is an E Machines. That is porbably why I am having the device/hardware issue with the recovery. But as stated before, shame on Sony, for not having the recovery on disk. Maybe shame on me for buying the Sony in the first place, or not copying the recovery info onto disk.

Don

railven
11-26-06, 10:33 PM
As I said, yeah that screwed it up a bit more but not unrepairable. I'd strongly recommend a format to get rid of those pesky E-Machine drivers it tried to install.

CIWS
11-26-06, 10:33 PM
You won't necessarily need everything there, but common things like chipset,video,sound you probably will. Other stuff lke the network adapter or modem made be covered by windowsXP, just depends.

CIWS
11-26-06, 10:35 PM
ewwwww E-machines.... ;)

Dadillac
11-26-06, 10:36 PM
You won't necessarily need everything there, but common things like chipset,video,sound you probably will. Other stuff lke the network adapter or modem made be covered by windowsXP, just depends.

Thanks again. I now have a project for tomorrow. Do you think that whatever caused this problem (whatever it was) is still in the computer and will rear it's nasty little head again? Or did the recovery boot it out.

Don

Dadillac
11-26-06, 10:38 PM
ewwwww E-machines.... ;)

It is a fairly nice system that didn't cost too much. My daughter is only 13, and she only uses it for homework and minor stuff. Everything else gets done on the Vaio.

Don

railven
11-26-06, 10:39 PM
It can still be lurking in old files that weren't deleted. You're old partition and information still exists unless you did a low-level format [you'd know you did that if it took over 2hours to format]

Dadillac
11-26-06, 10:45 PM
It can still be lurking in old files that weren't deleted. You're old partition and information still exists unless you did a low-level format [you'd know you did that if it took over 2hours to format]

In case you haven't noticed, I am not that literate with computers. I am not sure what formatting was done, if any, when the recovery took place. Here is how it went briefly. I installed the disc, and started the computer. I had to hit "R" to start the recovery. It did a simple OS recovery, and took about 8 minutes. Then it instructed me to remove the disc, once the computer rebooted. But instead of rebooting, it went into recovery again. Now, did it do the same exact recovery as the first one, or a more complete one? I am not sure. All that I know is that the second recovery (which wasn't supposed to even happen) took about 10 minutes. I had three seperate drives, my daughters E Machines has two. I was left with one. I am not too concerned with that, as I was quite perturbed with my Vaio for having such a tiny C drive. So unless a partition is absolutely necessary (older pcs didn't have them) then I will just leave that alone. Anyway try and explain in the simplest terms possible, as like I said, not too literate with this stuff. Thanks

Don

CIWS
11-26-06, 10:46 PM
Thanks again. I now have a project for tomorrow. Do you think that whatever caused this problem (whatever it was) is still in the computer and will rear it's nasty little head again? Or did the recovery boot it out.

Don

Unless it's of the really nasty variety, it should have been wiped out with a recovery IF it did a partition/format before putting everything back in. If you're not running a current good anti-virus get one and make sure to do a full system scan before you get too far down the road of reinstalling everything.

Dadillac
11-26-06, 10:50 PM
Unless it's of the really nasty variety, it should have been wiped out with a recovery IF it did a partition/format before putting everything back in. If you're not running a current good anti-virus get one and make sure to do a full system scan before you get too far down the road of reinstalling everything.

That is the strange thing. About four days ago I downloaded a free trial version of Norton 2007. I have run two scans in that time, and had everything protected, or at least I thought. I did read sonething wierd though in my web searching on this problem. I had Spy Stormer installed now for the past two and a half years. Norton tried to delete it, saying that it was a major threat. While searching the net, Spy Stormer came up as a potential cause for this issue. I find that funny, as it hasn't done anything in the past. What do you think?

Don

railven
11-26-06, 10:54 PM
Sorry Don let me try to clarify this:

There are two major forms of recovery. One is an OS recovery procedure that may or may not be altered by the OEM manufacturer. The second is always altered disc.

If the disc you used to recover your system looked had written on it E-Machines Recovery disc I wouldn't be able to tell unless I saw the disc myself.

But if you started the recovery processing by inserting the disc and it prompting you to reboot then it is an already altered disc. If you put the disc in your computer, boot the computer up, manually hit F8 then got the blue screen and proceeded with the recovery, as you said hit R, then I still wouldn't be able to tell if it was an altered disc.

The point of an altered disc is to streamline the process of system recovery. The OEM manufacturer will basically just put the disc in and then hit a few keys to confirm commands. The only user input it will ask is your registration info, user name and that sort of stuff.

If the disc went through a full install chances are it tried to recover it using the E-Machine default drivers. If it just stayed on the blue screen for a few boots then it most likely tried to just fix the OS.

The problem with the drives I wouldn't know unless I saw it but from what your saying it seems the system merged it into one partition.

Computers are complicated but go from where you are. Use the website provided to you and just download the basics: video, audio, network interface, and sometimes keyboard if the keyboard has special multimedia features.

Once those are installed you can prune out anything you KNOW isn't supposed to be there.

CIWS
11-26-06, 10:55 PM
Hmmm Norton's 2007 should already have a Spyware scanner in it. Without researching your specific issue I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it or not. Whether it was due to a virus or a corrupt windows file you're still in the same boat now. Just stick everything back in and scan the system to make sure it's clean. After that, as always, keep the important stuff/files backed up. :)

railven
11-26-06, 10:56 PM
Norton is a PITA software that will assume anything that monitors/alters your registry is a virus/trojan. The same goes for a lot of anti-spyware software.

Norton probably didn't like some of the background actions Spy Storm was taking and flagged it as a threat. Norton is tend to not play nice with competitive softwares.

Dadillac
11-26-06, 10:58 PM
Thanks guys it is greatly appreciated. I will update tomorrow after I work on it.

Don

Dadillac
11-26-06, 11:00 PM
Norton is a PITA software that will assume anything that monitors/alters your registry is a virus/trojan. The same goes for a lot of anti-spyware software.

Norton probably didn't like some of the background actions Spy Storm was taking and flagged it as a threat. Norton is tend to not play nice with competitive softwares.

Is there something better than Norton? I can get McAfee for free through Comcast, but I need to run IE. I hate IE (that is what I have now on the E Machines) and I was running Netscape. Since I have to start fresh and install new browser and anti-virus, what is good out there now?

Don

railven
11-26-06, 11:06 PM
A lot of people I know, and on these forums it seems, use two softwares called:

Spybot Search and Destroy [free]
and
Lave-Soft's Ad-Ware [forgot what version but its free]

You can get those two and scan your system at least once a week. That should help keep you clean and it won't bog down your system like Norton does with the million of resources it devours to keep itself alive.

CIWS
11-26-06, 11:08 PM
Like many things, opinions will vary. The main point is to find something that actually works. Here's PC Mags recent look at security software. Note over on the left bar the other major companies (Trend ,Mcafee,etc) are listed. Just choose any to compare how they were rated.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2023974,00.asp

CIWS
11-26-06, 11:10 PM
Spybot Search and Destroy [free]
and
Lave-Soft's Ad-Ware [forgot what version but its free]

These are decent freeware/shareware programs for finding spyware, but won't help you with viruses and other problems.

xxpinballxx
11-27-06, 09:26 AM
AVG for spyware and Ad-aware for spyware/malware

dp102288
11-27-06, 10:09 AM
What total size is your C: drive showing? If it is only 111 gb, then your recovery partition didn't get deleted since you said you had a 11gb and a 100 gb in addition to the recovery partition. (recovery partitions suck...can't companies spend $1.47 and give me a damn cd?!)

lass.exe is a windows program, but I have seen trojans come in as that. Get the drivers for the vid and sound card.

I am just thinking where the rest of your hdd is. If its still around, that could have the drivers you would need, but I guess the website would have them all.

I hate Norton and Symantec. Too big and resource intensive. Plus if there is a hole in one, it makes everything vulnerable. Seperate programs may cost a little more, but stay independent of each other.

I would have done a complete re-format if I couldn't get ot the recovery drive. Then do a clean install to start fresh.

Dadillac
11-27-06, 11:35 AM
Okay here is where I am at. I am currently typing on the Vaio. I believe I have it figured out. I downloaded the drivers, and the video and sound is working fine. I reinstalled all of my other hardware, and appear to be back on track. I did lose all of my pictures and music though.

I do not plan on adding a partition to what I have now. Is this okay? I do not see why I need one, but if it is necessary, please educate me.

Right now with the bare minimum on the hard drive, it consumes about 5gb. How can I copy to disc just in case something happens in the future? I would need a step by step tutorial for that process.

I am just going to use the IE for now. I already downloaded the free McAfee that comes from Comcast. When IE pisses me off (which most likely won't take too long) I will figure something out.

iTunes: I reloaded the iTunes software to the pc. But my library is empty. Why is that? Is there a way to copy from the iPod back to the iTunes library. I do not want to lose all of my music.

While downlaoding all of the drivers and updates from the Sony website (thanks CIWS :thumbsup: ), only three things came up as issues.
DV Gate Plus not installed
Click to DVD 1.3 or higher not installed
Vaio Media Intergrated Server 2.6 not installed

Do I need these things?

Thanks for the help guys. It is very much appreciated.

Don

railven
11-27-06, 11:55 AM
You can't install a partition, as far as I know of but maybe someone knows how or software, once it is created and the OS is installed. You'd have to create it before the OS is installed.

Partitions are just chunks of your HDD seperated for the purpose of storage. For example if you have a 100GB drive you'd split it into say two partitions of 50GB where you'd use one as your main drive, for your programs, and the other as a back up, such as music and pictures. If your OS ever gets screwed you can erase that partition without risking damaging the second partition and still retain your images and songs.

I'd recommend a second hard drive, either internal or external, as another method to prevent losing valuable data.

Again partitions aren't neccessary at all but can be used to your advantage specifically when you only have one physical drive installed.

I don't know what software you are using but Windows XP had that feature "burn to disc" using I think Media Player, I haven't used it myself.

If your IPOD has all your music hooking it up the PC should give you the option of transfering your music from your IPOD to your PC.
BUT BECAREFUL! I've heard that if you click the wrong option it will transfer whatever is on your PC to your IPOD clearing your IPOD and since your PC is empty I guess your IPOD would go to empty too.

As for those softwares you listed they are auxillary programs probably for things the VAIO came with. It wouldn't hurt to install them, as some might open up features you were use to using that came with your VAIO, but they aren't required.

Good luck Don, and hopefully everything gets back to somewhat normal.

PS: If you find your recovery disc, I'd say use that before you start installing more software.

xxpinballxx
11-27-06, 12:08 PM
wouldn't worry about not having the partition.
My Vaio A190 laptop use to have its 60gig HD broken up into a system drive of 16gig and the rest my D drive for apps and all other things.
I really didnt like the idea of that even though I know its suppose to be beneficial. I re-did my drive and now am much happier...I kept forgetting which drive things were on and what I saved stuff to.

Dadillac
11-27-06, 12:12 PM
PS: If you find your recovery disc, I'd say use that before you start installing more software.
The computer never came with one. It just had a 5gb section of hard drive set aside for it. But sine I used my daughters I am assuming that the old recovery is long gone, and that is now my new disc. As far as the iPod goes, I know that whenever you hook it into iTunes, it will adjust itself to what is in the library. Whatever is added will download, whatever is missing will delete. I will try and copy to my pc. I think I did that with my daughters iPod before.

Don

Dadillac
11-27-06, 12:14 PM
wouldn't worry about not having the partition.
My Vaio A190 laptop use to have its 60gig HD broken up into a system drive of 16gig and the rest my D drive for apps and all other things.
I really didnt like the idea of that even though I know its suppose to be beneficial. I re-did my drive and now am much happier...I kept forgetting which drive things were on and what I saved stuff to.

I always hated that my C drive was so small. Sometimes downloads do not give you the option of where to place them, they go straight to C. Then you need to manually move them. But I found out that they don't always like to be moved. I think I am happy that the partition is gone.

Don

xxpinballxx
11-27-06, 12:15 PM
well it sucks you lost all your music and photos but at least you're not putting out a crap load for a new computer!

railven
11-27-06, 12:18 PM
Wow, now I'm going to say Shame on Sony.

Did you get any discs with the drive? Where did you buy it? I can't imagine not getting a recovery disc, that is just plain stupid.

Sure a partition on your drive could act as a recovery disc as it would load things faster but still that isn't a justifiable replacement for a recovery disc.

That just sucks. They should have atleast given you a CD with the OS because you paid for that. You should have a physical in your hand copy of that.

I smell Circuit City. My aunt bought an E-Machine from them and they didn't give her a recovery disc. Said if anything bring it back for service. Well the computer was total trash so the third time she went I tagged along and demanded a disc. She shouldn't have to lug her computer all the way back to fix it when all they are doing is sliding a disc in, rebooting, walking away, and charging her. We got the disc but the computer kept messing up and eventually she filed a complaint with the BBB about them [sometimes they'd keep it for a month "repairing" it] in the end she got her money back and decided to never buy a PC from them again. Her newest computer is a Sony VAIO, not sure on model, from Best Buy and I haven't heard her complain yet.

CIWS
11-27-06, 01:14 PM
Personally if I have a single HD in a system and it is greater than 30 gig in size I will partition it into 2 drives. I've done this on all of the laptops I've purchased in the last 6 years. Every one I've bought during that time has come as a single drive. So the first thing I do is reformat / repartition the drive, set C: as approx 30 gigs and the balance as D: and reinstall windows and the drivers. Basic reason is if I have to reinstall my operating system on C: anything on the partition doesn't get lost. Plus a few of the applications I use like to work out of a temp folder that's not on the same drive as the O.S. (Adobe stuff). I store music,videos,pics, files, and the POP Mail on the D: drive. C: mainly stays for the O.S. and the applications themselves. My main home PC has a single 300gig C: drive, a 300Gig D: drive (SATA), a couple of 250 Gig drives (PATA) and I have several external USB/Firewire drives for more storage. I'm a big believer in backing anything up I do not want to lose, in multiple places and various forms of media. Overkill ? Almost certainly, but I've haven't lost any important files despite litterly countless reinstalls. I even still have the first CD Rom I ever burned with backup files on it. :)

This last laptop I bought a couple of weeks ago came with a single 200gig drive in it. First thing I did was repartition and reinstall. Main drive is 40 gig and the partition is the balance. I'm not saying that's for anyone else, but that's a reason / the reason I will create a partition.

xxpinballxx
11-27-06, 01:22 PM
makes perfect sense CIWS but still not for me.

railven
11-27-06, 01:33 PM
I've tried to sell partitions to anyone using a single drive just on the basis that it is very convienent when you need to reformat.

I agree with CIWS on his approach to single drive computers.

I'm not like him though as I'm very wreckless and don't back things up periodically. But after a while of using computers you learn your system and sense with something is wrong. Plus, I just about bought my family their own computer so they'd never have a need to use mine haha.

I got 2x74GB WD Raptors running in a RAID+1 for that boost in performance. One Raptor is plentiful but two Raptors is orgasmic!

Then a 300GB SATA for storage. A 2GB USB flash drive for transporting stuff. I don't have any videos on my computer just music and at that only like 19GBs but tons of games, tons and tons of those!

CIWS
11-27-06, 02:03 PM
95% of personal computer users do not back up their info. Even if they purchase some methodology to do it. They may start or do it once but then with time it lapses. System crashes and they go ape shat or get depressed.

Case in point, once my mother moved several hours away I tried to set her up with backup options and back up PC systems to cover her incase she had a severe failure before I could get down there to solve the problem. I built her two PCs, one main and one backup and bought her a laptop and set them all up. About a month ago she calls me up and says her main PC won't turn on at all. Everything was working fine when she shut it off the night before, but it wouldn't come on the next day. So I say no big deal, just work off one of the other machines. Well she tried that, but her POP mail (cox cable) wouldn't send on either other machine and she had already been on the phone for two days with their tech support trying to get it to work but it wouldn't. So I sat on the phone for about 1.5 hours trying to get her registered with a Gmail account so she could have some functional e-mail. Finally we got that done, but it only worked right on the laptop. So I said no sweat, just use that. BUT she needed the documents that were on the main dead PC and in her e-mail, plus the quicken info there. I said Mom, what about backing up your info and putting it on the other two PCs like we set up? Well she hadn't been doing that..................everything was only on the one and she had a board meeting coming up the next week and HAD to have that information !!!!! So I had to break my plans for the weekend and drive down there. Ended up being a dead Pwr supply, luckily the info on the HD was still intact. I also took her an external HD to hopefully back her files up to, despite her already having multiple CD/DVD burners and three computers. Which as I found out had not been updated since I set them up or the POP mail info changed as she changed providers over the years. The PC with Win2K on it was still running SP2 (not updated). All of that would have been worthless if her HD would have crashed, all of it would have been lost. Despite me trying to warn folks, they just seem to let it go until disaster strikes.
(rant off) ;)

Dadillac
11-27-06, 02:08 PM
The computer came from Best Buy about three years ago. Never needed a disc until yesterday. I never imagined that it would crash to the point of not being able to boot it up. So the recovery partition seemed feasible. And amen to not having to buy a new pc. The pictures cannot be replaced, but none were super important. Anything major gets printed right away.

Don

railven
11-27-06, 08:41 PM
Everything may still be intact on your computer Don. You'll need some partition recovery software [I got a hacked version somewhere hidden on my computer works great and by hacked I just mean its free...shhh illegal]. There are high chances if you had the patiences you can recover just about everything you've lost, depending on the permissions and what not but that a whole other can of worms.

It is important to always back up the important stuff. Computers are very unreliable and just about anything can break them. I don't mean that to scare you just something you should consider. A HDD can get shot with a jolt of eletricity and that can pretty much destroy a platter.

If you want that software, I'll send it to you when I get home.

Dadillac
11-27-06, 10:52 PM
I did a scan with McAfee and no viruses come up. So if this was a virus related issue, hopefully it isn't around any longer. I also downloaded Ad-aware SE, did a scan, and had 17 tracking cookies. Those things work damn fast, as I only started using the computer for less than 24 hours. I also was able to copy my music from my iPod into my "My Music" folder. Then imported the songs one at a time into the iTunes library (that was 5 hours of hellish fun). The only thing that pisses me off is that the songs are in files and are coded. So to match up the songs to the albums is going to be another hellish experience. Anyway I am feeling much better about everything even though I am still missing alot of stuff. Things like Microsoft Word are very expensive to replace. I didn't pay for them to begin with. And unfortunately my software supplier has moved away. So if the wife wants to have these things it is going to cost some $. Anyway I want to say thanks again to all. I was ready to go and buy a new computer just before posting my problem here. I owe you guys alot.

Don

xxpinballxx
11-28-06, 12:46 AM
get with railven and hope to find some of your old pics and stuff. I did that with my wifes dell.....she's for all intensive purposes computer illiteral.
pretty straight forward with the app I used.....
{{{ring}}}{{{RING}}} HEllo? Railven? Yeah hold on a sec....Railven the police want to talk to ya! Its the police...something about stolen software?

CIWS
11-28-06, 06:28 AM
I did a scan with McAfee and no viruses come up. So if this was a virus related issue, hopefully it isn't around any longer. I also downloaded Ad-aware SE, did a scan, and had 17 tracking cookies. Those things work damn fast, as I only started using the computer for less than 24 hours.
Don

Unless you turn cookies off in your browser (not practicle) then you will always see those on a spyware scan. However you can (and should in my opinion) delete your browser's cache of files and cookies before you run a spyware / virus scan.

dp102288
11-28-06, 10:04 AM
I think you should try to recover your data...you may have a good chance of getting at least some of it back. Good luck!

railven
11-28-06, 11:32 AM
get with railven and hope to find some of your old pics and stuff. I did that with my wifes dell.....she's for all intensive purposes computer illiteral.
pretty straight forward with the app I used.....
{{{ring}}}{{{RING}}} HEllo? Railven? Yeah hold on a sec....Railven the police want to talk to ya! Its the police...something about stolen software?

Haha I just had to laugh at that. Nice.

And after I read Don's post I was going to say "Hey Don I got a hacked copy of Windows Office 2000 and 2003 some where."

I don't encourage piracy but growing up in the digital age sometimes its hard to not steal a few programs. Specifically when Office runs you a good chunk of money. I wish you could just by the applications you use seperately. I'm not a business man or am I organized I see no use for Excel, but thats just me :)

ANyways, Don you want a copy I'll set you up so you can download it and then burn it at your leisure.

Shhh....

Dadillac
11-28-06, 11:41 AM
If I were to use this software that railven has, would I have to start all over again? Will it mess up what I have already done? Also, since I basically turned my Vaio into an E Machines, is it even possible that anything can be recovered?

Don

railven
11-28-06, 11:47 AM
I won't promise you that it will recover everything. I'm not 100% sure if it just destroyed the parition and created a new one over it or if it did a full low-level format.

A low-level format is basically the best thing to do to "start-over" as it takes hours, depending on your HDD, because it goes into every bit and turns it to a 0. So the drive is "empty" in terms of all bits, except the first one, is 0. Data is binary and so you'd understand that something like an 8-bit array with 01010101 isn't "empty" even if it points to nothing. Ahhh thats more then you needed to know.

In short, if the computer didn't take hours to restore, and by hours I mean 2 or more, then chances are it was just a quick swipe of the old parition meaning the old information may still be there broken up in the new partition.

The software won't change anything it will give you total control. YOu basically start it, walk away from your computer for a good hour or two and check back periodically. The program will search every bit, like a low-level format, and anything it finds it will try to reconstruct. Sometimes it even gives you a sample, like you can listen to an mp3 song or look at a thumbnail of a picture. You click what you want, it has check boxes, and then restore it to a folder you desire.

My girlfriend formatted her computer and we managed to recover all over her images, a whopping 1.2GBs. She's into that photoshop stuff.

Dadillac
11-28-06, 11:50 AM
Okay sir, how do I get this software from you? Let me know. Thanks

Don

railven
11-28-06, 11:54 AM
Sure thing Don! I will try to make it as easy as possible for you.

Unfortunately right now I'm not at home so I'll get to it tonight after work. I'll send it to you via YouSendIt, a free online trafficing site, and I'll try to include some instructions.

It's pretty straight forward.

Dadillac
11-28-06, 11:58 AM
Sure thing Don! I will try to make it as easy as possible for you.

Unfortunately right now I'm not at home so I'll get to it tonight after work. I'll send it to you via YouSendIt, a free online trafficing site, and I'll try to include some instructions.

It's pretty straight forward.

So how do I retrieve it? Will it show up in my e-mail, or will I have to form an account with yousendit, and get it from there? Again my illeteracy is showing :eek: .

Don

railven
11-28-06, 12:02 PM
Ask away Don it is the best way to learn.

YouSendIt has two features: a registered account which allows you to send bigger files and a free feature which allows you to send up to, I believe, 100MBs.

They host your file for seven days and give you a link. You give that link to a friend, friends whoever, and they download it at their leisure within the seven days.

You can head over there now if you have any questions about it: www.yousendit.com

We use it to send pictures to my grandparents all the time.

Dadillac
11-28-06, 12:18 PM
Okay, so after you post it there, you will sned me a link. I click the link, or copy and paste it, and then I download. Sound right? Thanks man, you are the best.

Don

railven
11-28-06, 12:25 PM
That is pretty much it. I will upload it and get a link and just PM it to you. You click it and download it.

I wish I had left my comp on but alas to save money on the electric bill it is off when I'm not home.

Dadillac
11-28-06, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the help. I will be waiting for the link.

Don

Leeb
11-29-06, 04:34 AM
This may come more-than-a-bit late,
but
If you're getting internet access, enter the Device Manager, wipe out any audio drivers and reboot.
When it comes up and looks for audio drivers, you SHOULD be able to go to the XP internet driver access and it SHOULD find what you need....

I believe Sony does much the same thing as Compaq/others where they put a 'restore procedure' on a small partition. From there, it is able to recreate the system WITHOUT losing the required drivers/etc....
Unfortunately, it sounds like the Emachines restore may have lost it for you...

Fortunately for me, my HP lapper comes w/ a restore CD. I also use Norton Ghost to create a disc image that I can restore from CDs (Hard drive is too big/full for a single CD)... works nicely too!
:)

dp102288
11-29-06, 10:36 AM
I'll say it again...always get the restore cd. If your pc maker says it is built into the hard drive, ask them what to do when your hard drive fails. Spend the extra $5 and get it if they don't give you for free. Makes your life so much easier.

railven
11-29-06, 11:41 AM
I hear ya DP but it pisses me off that now you have to ask for it. Before it was included.

Anyways, Don I sent you a PM with the link last night I was going to post here that I sent it but I was exhausted. Let me know if it helps.