: front tire excessive wear - replace front only?

lbreitbarth
11-26-06, 11:42 AM
I have 40k miles on Michelin Pilots. Outer edge and first tread on the front tires has worn excessively. Rear tires look almost new. I've reviewed several threads that state this is not unusual.

Has anyone changed out their front tires only? In other words, if 40k is the expeccted life of the front tires, could the rear tires last another 40k (80k total)?

da_thrilla
11-27-06, 04:58 AM
Make sure you check the insides of rear tires, i thought mines were new while the fronts had worn out prematurley, intrestingly enough, the rears were very worn towards the inside...take a look and let me know.

Northern SRX
11-27-06, 07:22 AM
I do an annual alignment and was disappointed to see that the four tires were toast by 35k kms on my AWD V8. The fronts were worn along the outside edge, just as you described. The rears were fine and I probably could have gotten another 15-20k kms more out of them. Instead, I went on ebay and bought a set of 4 OEM tires/wheels/TPMs with 60 miles on them for less than what it would have cost me to buy 4 tires at a local shop. Now, I have two sets of wheels and put a set of winter tires (Nokians) on one. Not a solution for everybody, mind you...

ckrichards
11-28-06, 04:07 PM
You are doing really well. I got 15k on the front and 19k on the rear with my Michelins.

icefog14
07-05-07, 09:59 AM
Is this to be expected of the Michellin Pilots, 35k with some serious wear? Is there a better tire out there??

mjk
07-05-07, 01:15 PM
I have 40k miles on Michelin Pilots. Outer edge and first tread on the front tires has worn excessively. Rear tires look almost new. I've reviewed several threads that state this is not unusual.

Has anyone changed out their front tires only? In other words, if 40k is the expeccted life of the front tires, could the rear tires last another 40k (80k total)?

I did change only my fronts at 38k. 3K in and so far so good. (OEM 17")

sgilbert
07-05-07, 02:29 PM
Had to replace all 4's at around 28,000 mi.

Smokin' SRX
07-08-07, 09:12 PM

I had to change the fronts at 19K miles w/ AWD. I was so disappointed w/ ride& wear of the French rubber I changed all 4 to Dunlap Sport 5000 Symetry! I went all 4 same size as rear tires, and it's a beautiful thing to be able to rotate my tires!! That was 6K miles ago. No problems at all.

By the way....shop said alignment was so far off on all 4 tires he couldn't believe it! None of my other cars ever had this...HMMMM.........Caddy trick for handling??? Rear tires had another 10K miles but I wanted a softer ride so I did the 4 with an "H" rating......speed rated @ 130 MPH instead of "V" rated at 149MPH of OEM tire. Guess I'll slow down:bigroll:

rlsjr2
07-09-07, 01:40 PM
I have an "04" V-8 AWD SRX. The rear tires are larger than the front. Can I put the same size tire that is in the rear on the front? Are they the same size rims? Or do I have to get different rims for the front?

Smokin' SRX
07-10-07, 09:42 AM
I have an "04" V-8 AWD SRX. The rear tires are larger than the front. Can I put the same size tire that is in the rear on the front? Are they the same size rims? Or do I have to get different rims for the front?

YES! Caddy does it all the time!! The later years even offer 20" all around from factory, so same size is ok for drivetrain. And, I have '04 V-8, AWD, Mag and have the 255/55-18 (stock OEM rear size) all around for 6 months now! NO PROBLEMS. And I just rotated! Wear is zilch! Do it! get "H" rating for a softer ride!

z06bigbird
07-10-07, 10:28 AM
Larger size rims/tires on rear help sell more tires--because people do not rotate them. Also, the larger the tires, the more they cost.

Sucks.

rlsjr2
07-10-07, 12:25 PM
So I can replace the front tires with the same size as the rear on the original rims in the front? I do not have to get different rims, correct.

Smokin' SRX
07-14-07, 12:42 PM
So I can replace the front tires with the same size as the rear on the original rims in the front? I do not have to get different rims, correct.

Correct! 255/55-18" (that's the OEM rear size on the V-8) Same should be true w/ smaller 17" tires on the V-6! No issues other than slightly softer grippier ride (went w/Dunlaps Sport 5000 All Season, in an "H", as mentioned) No rubbing, wear or anything other than being able to ROTATE my tires like normal folks do! I suspect the car might have a slight tendency to be tail-happy w/ the RWD version, in bad weather?? Cannot achieve it however, even w/ Stabilitrac turned "off" (button forward of shifter) with my AWD model in " Normal" , fairly agressive driving,........ even in rain! But I think Caddy had this in mind when considering many built would be nose heavy, RWD, V-8 , and skinnier front tires wouldn't have the needed grip to spin this baby? Saved $$$$$ over the OEM Michilein too!!!

MHO:)