: Transmission/Torque Converter Experience and Questions

Kauai 1
11-25-06, 04:18 PM
I am starting a new thread, as my situation is somewhat different from other postings.

I hope ewill3rd or other technicians can respond!

Two months ago, my formerly-seamless trans ('04 V-8 RWD; 22,000 miles) started to do what seemed to be rough shifts on light acceleration and coasting to a stop. The nature of the jerks, etc., led me to believe torque converter lock-up clutch action. Then, after a two day 1,100 mile trip, the SHUDDER, lightly accelerating up slight inclines and then on the flat, began. After the return drive, I went to the dealer for repair. I did not mention the initial jerks, as I did not want to confuse the service department into thinking I needed the dreaded ECM reflash for AWD driveline problems.

THE REPAIR, per the work-order/invoice, and QUESTIONS:
PIP3456D DOC 1866746..REPROGRAM TCM/ NO CHANGE/REPLACE TORQUE
CONVERTER & FLUID...
1 96042553 T/CNV REM..........Does the "REM" mean remanufactured, or
is it new?
1 96041856 SEAL..................I assume this is O.K.
2 88861045 FLUID.................Does this mean only 2 quarts of fluid were
replaced?!? Is the fluid Dexron VI?
PIP3456D procedures call for flushing the trans and refilling with as
much Dexron VI as possible. The trans holds 9 quarts. How could only
2 quarts do the job?

NEW PROBLEM and QUESTIONS:
Since the repair, a new intermittent problem has arisen. When the trans is
in Sport Mode, it may not hold in gear when accelerating briskly, then
backing off the accelerator; it acts like normal mode. And it has refused to
downshift manually at 40 mph, coasting, even though the Sport Mode light is
on; I can pull the shift lever back, but their is no connection. QUESTIONS:
What might the cause be? Could it be the result of the dealer's "repair?" Is
it easy to fix?

Comment: The "Coaster Brake" (transmission brake) action is now much more pronounced coasting downhill or to a stop.

Any assistance is MOST APPRECIATED!

Kauai 1
11-29-06, 04:12 PM
I found an answer to one question; the fluid part number is for one gallon. So, the trans was refilled with 8 quarts of Dexron VI. Still do not know about the missing one quart; remaining fluid in the trans that couldn't be drained out?
Any answers/comments are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

afg350ci
11-30-06, 08:15 AM
In response to the initial jerking, my '05 SRX V6 RWD suffered from that problem. I took it in and that diagnosed and replaced a "cracked differential bushing." The transmission has been smooth ever since. I don't know about the shuddering, but that's how they resolved the problem of the jerking on my SRX.

mjk
12-01-06, 06:28 AM
In response to the initial jerking, my '05 SRX V6 RWD suffered from that problem. I took it in and that diagnosed and replaced a "cracked differential bushing." The transmission has been smooth ever since. I don't know about the shuddering, but that's how they resolved the problem of the jerking on my SRX.

Was "jerking" at low speeds, while coming to a stop??? I think I may be experiancing something of that nature.

Garnsmeyer
12-02-06, 12:09 PM
I'm taking mine in next week. Does anyone have answers? They would be helpful in dealing with my service dept.
BTW, did the repair fix your shudder problem, K-1?

Kauai 1
12-04-06, 12:01 AM
The shudder problem was eliminated by the "fix." The jerks upon light acceleration and low-speed decelleration experienced prior to the shudder episode were also eliminated.

SRXer
12-05-06, 07:34 PM
I'm experiencing what sounds similar. When braking I get a shudder, like the torque converter isn't releasing. Also sometimes get a clunk feel when coasting to a stop. Dealer tried telling me that the front brakes were slightly warped. No explanation for the clunk. Mine is a 2005 V6 AWD.

mjk
02-06-07, 06:54 AM
I just got the car back that was in for the shudder problem. The dealer said that the torque converter was failing internaly and had to be replaced. However I haven't noticed any changes, :ill: still get the shudder/light jerking wile stopping.

Anybody out there had it in for the second time, for the same issue??

Thanks

mjk
02-08-07, 10:51 AM
anyone???:ill:

nstar
02-08-07, 11:11 AM
I have 04 V8 AWD that had shutter just when you where going up grade at low speed and also had moan at times at about 40-45 mph. Had converter changed at 19000 miles it's got 20000 now with no problem. It never had shutter on stopping and TSB doesn't say thats a problem with v8.

john d
02-08-07, 12:44 PM
As you brake to a stop is the engine returning to idle or is the computer holding rpm's up?
I'm picturing a power on stop with the tranny acting as if under load by downshifting and fighting the brakes.

mjk
02-08-07, 01:38 PM
I think the rpm's go down, nothing unusual....
It really feels like they (dealer) didn't replace anything, or whatever they replaced failed on the spot:hmm: I do believe they did the work.
First thing I got the car back I tried to see the difference and there was none.:hmm:

I would have taken the car back right away but frankly, I really love it and want to enjoy it, and not the loaner. It doesn't even bother me that much, I just want to get things fixed before my warranty expires.
However a new 07 SVT loaner was pretty nice.

Anyway. Maybe next week I'll take it back.

Thanks for your thoughts