: Alignment off on 05 SRX v8 AWD

NicSRX
11-25-06, 10:11 AM
We purchased our SRX from a non-certified used car dealer two weeks ago, had 9600 miles on it. It now has 10100 miles. We scheduled an appointemnt with Local Cadillac Dealer to have them look at the alignment because we noticed it pulling to the right. After four technicians looked at it, we were told that they couldn't figure it out and we should take it back to the dealer we purchased it from at see if they could do anything with it. After more questions from us and a little argueing, they have scheduled yet another (5th) technician to look at it next week. They havn't charged us anything..yet, but I was a little surprised by their remark about taking it back to the purchasing dealer. Shouldn't this be taken care of by Cadillac? And has anyone else had this problem with the alignment.

dimitri_010
11-25-06, 12:46 PM
the problem could very well be that you purchased from a non-certified dealer. And in purchasing the car you agree that Cadillac has not tested the car through their program. Still worth a shot though.

dimitri_010
11-25-06, 12:48 PM
Also, ive had this problem with my car...Pulling to the right. It turned out to be low tire pressures...make sure that your tires are pumped to 36 psi...changes the ride dramatically, atleast for me it did.I took it to the dealership for the 'problem' more than once...and they couldnt find an alignment problem. Could be something as little as the tire pressure, something you can check by urself too. GL

john d
11-25-06, 01:58 PM
Could be it was in a wreck and the repair didn't straighten the uni-body.
Wouldn't be the first time a non-selling dealer declined to get involved with another selling dealers problem cars.
Think it would be worth going to a reputible frame & body straightening shop and have them do a detailed measurement of the uni-body.
If the measurements are off then get an attorney right away..don't try to force a repurchase on your own.

robhersch
11-25-06, 10:24 PM
Suggest first checking all tires to ensure that the correct sizes are on each wheel; then check air pressure (34 to 36 when COLD); then take to a speciality alignment shop for analysis (probably $25 to $100). If body/ frame out of specs, suggest following john d's advice (should not a GM or Cad dealer issue since neither would likely have the vehicles history); hope your used car dealer gave you some warranty, ie 6 mos or 6000 miles. Good luck!!

NicSRX
11-27-06, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the help. I got a carfax report before I purchased the vehicle and it came up clean. Could the frame still be off without being in an accident?
If not, would it still be worth it to go to a frame shop?

mjk
11-27-06, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the help. I got a carfax report before I purchased the vehicle and it came up clean. Could the frame still be off without being in an accident?
If not, would it still be worth it to go to a frame shop?

:tisk: You have to keep in mind that the CARFAX report will only show events that were documented (insurance filed, police reports, dmv etc...). There are cars that were in a accident that was not reported, therefore will not show up on carfax.
If in doubt, I would have the frame checked. You can also have the paint thickness checked on different body panels to see if the car was ever repainted (which would indiacate some sort of collision/accident situation)

Good luck

NicSRX
12-04-06, 11:56 AM
Thanks for all of your suggestions. Low and behold the 5th tech that looked at it figured it out, and it actually seems to be riding much better now. Of course I have been second guessing myself on this purchase and I'm looking for everything and anything that's wrong with it. The only thing I can find on it, is two small white paint marks on the left rear tail lense. Looks like someone actually dabbed it with a paint marker for some reason. Anyone ever heard of this?

NicSRX
12-04-06, 12:02 PM
I forgot to mention, I also had the odor with the brakes after highway driving. They thought it was coming from the oil filter not being tight enough, so they replaced it and it seems to be ok now.

john d
12-04-06, 01:43 PM
s. Low and behold the 5th tech that looked at it figured it out, and it actually seems to be riding much better now.
What was the problem and the fix?

TSS
12-04-06, 05:56 PM
Paint is a dealer thing - it signifies the car was detailed/inspected, something like that - the paint easily scratches off! Both my Cadillacs had it - one new and one used.