i just did the oil cooler issue,
but the engine was filled with sludge.
so i need a new engine, prefer lower miles,
i am in pennsylvania,
email me at info@pennswoodmfg.com.
if anyone has an available engine.
or knows of where to find one.

i love the car,
i ihope to get it back on the road soon.

thanks to all.

guardian
11-24-06, 06:05 PM
It might be of help if you would continue to watch this space:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=catera+engine

Something might pop up.

Good luck!!:)

contourbs
11-25-06, 12:16 PM
you might as well buy the 3.2 off ebay because by time you buy a used engine you have no idea when the last time the timing belt was done.

pennswood
11-25-06, 12:31 PM
so i looked at the engine on ebay.
the company is based in california.
i am in pennsylvania.

has anyone bought one of these?
is it the exact same thing as a stock?
will it have the oil cooler problem?

i love this car,
it has been out of commision for 1 year.

does anyone know how to get the peanut butter looking,
oil and coolant mixture out of the engine?

the cooler has been replaced,
$700.00
but they can not get the crap out of the engine.

guardian
11-25-06, 01:33 PM
. . . .
will it have the oil cooler problem? . . . . .

The problem with the heat exchanger (aka, "oil cooler") is one of "those" problems with Catera. They never fixed it. Some posters here have indicated later exchangers are better made. No way to know which version the CA engine has without putting in some effort.

At how many miles on your '97 did the heat exchanger fail??

They do have a life expectancy - not sure what it is. But they do not fail instantly. So if the CA engine has a NEW heat exchanger you might expect it to last for a while.

On your sludge, this is not a big deal with the engine out of the car. Strip her down, pull the gallery plugs (and maybe the freeze plugs, too, if you want to do a really good job), and have the block dipped, have it chemically cleaned. What you get back will be just like new - no rust and no sludge.

The heads you might want to do by hand because they are aluminum. I do not know whether you safely can dip aluminum or not. Am just not sure. Be really careful.

But cleaning the heads manually should be fairly straightforward. You can ask at your auto machine shop and if they say they have a dip tank for aluminum, well, maybe you will decide to go that way.

Back to the heat exchanger for a moment:

Some owners have "fixed" it by replacing the exchanger outright. What they use is a common aftermarket oil cooler.

Take this to the bank: heat exchangers not present never leak.:)

Elo
11-25-06, 05:46 PM
Take this to the bank: heat exchangers not present never leak.:)

Speaking of which... I believe there was a thread on how to bypass the heat exchanger. Does anyone have the link off-hand?

-Elo

PEETYZ
11-26-06, 04:42 PM
I had to install a new engine in my 98 very sad day i got mine at a auto parts yard called walts and installed by a local garage all for around 2,500 expensive but cadillac wanted 8,000 plus look on ebay and other used car part yards best of luck -Pete-by the way I love these cars too when u do get ur new engine check the preventative maintence thread and keep it maintained. Check up on the timing belt and swap with your old one if out of date as well as alternator etc keep the odd one for a parts engine