: Mental Note to self - don't loose key!

BlckCat
11-24-06, 09:11 AM
Having only one key and remote to my car, I am a little nervous about loosing it, or, locking myself out.

The car is having a remote starter fitted today and as part of that process, they needed a 2nd key, somehow they use that as part of the working of the electronic brain of the starter.

No big deal, but, a key runs at just under a $100 and programming at just under $40 at my local dealer. I had it done but reflected when it is used for the starter, I will be back down to one key.

Is their any mileage in grabbing a remote from ebay as a means of emergency entry to the car, and do they require dealer programming too?

Always learning meee.

:-)

passionaterage
11-24-06, 10:53 AM
This is one of the few cars that you do have to have the remote programmed at the dealer. I did buy one from ebay, and luckily my dealer programmed it for free. He must have been in a good mood that day. One of the few things on this car that I got at a good deal!

mach1456
11-25-06, 09:58 AM
Bought 2 used remotes. Had dealer program one for $30. The other had a problem so couldn't program. The cost for both would have been the same $30. Worth the money, make sure you get the right part number.

BlckCat
11-25-06, 05:31 PM
I'm a complete idiot!! Of course the minute I had the starter installed, I got a second remote by virtue of the system. So, my original Caddy remote is now my backup in case of the unthinkable happening (probably will now too) and I lock the key in!!

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Mick