: OBDII Codes

VilleBilly
11-23-06, 11:32 PM
New to computer controlled vehicles. Recently purchased a 2000 ETC, have codes PCM P0335 & 1599, IRC U1301, RFA U1000. Do I need a SCAN TOOL or a CODE READER? And why.

Ranger
11-24-06, 12:40 AM
Nope. here's all you need.
http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html

VilleBilly
11-24-06, 11:56 AM
How do I clear or reset codes after repairs without atleast a Code Reader? How can i communicate with the different modules like my repair manual tells me to do if i dont have a Scan Tool?

WoodShoe
11-24-06, 12:51 PM
the codes will clear themselves after a while. or u can clear them through the DIC. You should be able to access all the modules from there also.

Ranger
11-24-06, 01:36 PM
Courtesy of JimD

DTC display; 1998-2004 Seville, 2000-2005 Deville and other models with 3 buttons on the RH side of DIC

Use the 3 switches located to the right (LH drive cars) of the Driver Information Center (DIC) to activate and respond to the OBD prompts on the DIC.

ON/OFF = YES
INFO RESET = NO
INFO DOWN or INFO UP = manual toggle

Ignition ON, acknowledge any warning messages; press ON/OFF and INFO UP together for 2 to 3 seconds. Everything in front of you lights up for 4 or 5 seconds, then you will see:

Display shows "ALL?"

Answering YES will display "ALL CODES?"
Answering YES will run automatic test sequence and display codes, if any. Systems and codes will scroll faster than I am able to read them and write them; not to worry.
"CLEAR ALL CODES?" will display at the end of the automatic test. If you are satisfied you have the information you need, answer YES to clear/erase all error codes.

Answering "ALL?" with INFO DOWN will toggle systems test manually in order.
Answering "ALL?" with INFO UP will toggle system test manually in reverse order.

Press INFO RESET to reset DIC to "ALL?" to start again.

Ignition OFF to exit.

SYSTEMS: (as of 1998)

ABS (Antilock Brake System)
AMP (Amplifier)
DDM (Door Driver Module)
DIM (Dash Integration Module)
IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster)
IPM (Instrument Panel Module)
IRC (Integrated Radio Module)
PCM (Powertrain Control Module)
RFA (Remote Function Actuation)
RIM (Rear Integration Module)
SDM (Sensing and Diagnostic Module) Includes airbag crash data. Under RF seat
VTD (Vehicle Theft Deterrent)
MSM (Memory Seat Module)
TTM (Tilt/Telescoping Module)
RSS (Road Sensing Suspension)

"History" means that the fault is no longer detected. It will stay in history for 50 ignition cycles then be deleted unless it becomes "Current" again or is cleared manually.

krimson_cardnal
11-25-06, 08:29 AM
It is my understanding that you will not be able to effect and modules on OBDII vehicles - you can only observe/reset. The FSM does refer to GM scan procedures not possible on board.

Least that;s how I understand it. K_C

How do I clear or reset codes after repairs without atleast a Code Reader? How can i communicate with the different modules like my repair manual tells me to do if i dont have a Scan Tool?

Caddyshack100
11-25-06, 10:01 AM
K C is right on the money, our Caddies are way ahead of everybody else in the diagnostic department in that you will be able to scan with the DIC all the modules on board and it will tell you what the problem is. What it will not do is allow you to scan the datastream or do any special tests that will narrow down the problem. Most scan tools that go for up to 250 and that includes the lap top specials, like autotap do not allow you to see anything beyond the powertrain and some even will not show beyond the generic codes. For following the GM FSM, you would need an OTC Genisys, TECH2, or Snap-on, these devices will allow all the modules to be read and you can control from 96 on most of the emmission controls. The key is bi-directionality.