: 97 CD Changer

bK caddy
11-23-06, 02:29 PM
Hi
when i got my cadillac the CD changer box was missing, and i check it with the dealer the box cost about $1000. so is there anywhere cheaper online?
and from my understanding it has to be for 97 cadillac cater other then that it wont work i got the part #
i found this online would it work?
http://www.mobilevideoauthority.com/catalog/item/3168973/2825690.htm

thanks, & happy thanks g

guardian
11-23-06, 07:52 PM
Hi
when i got my cadillac the CD changer box was missing, and i check it with the dealer the box cost about $1000. so is there anywhere cheaper online?
and from my understanding it has to be for 97 cadillac cater other then that it wont work i got the part #
i found this online would it work?
http://www.mobilevideoauthority.com/catalog/item/3168973/2825690.htm

thanks, & happy thanks g

Do not ignore the possibility something like this might be available from an auto wrecking yard. A few telephone calls might turn one up, and for a reasonable cost, too.

The more special and application specific the 1997 player is, the more likely you are to find one in a wrecking yard. This because specialness lessens the likelihood someone else would have taken the player out to use in a different make of car.

Finally, there were quite a few Cateras manufactured in 1997. It was one of the big years for the car production number wise. And of course it is the oldest year. So, again, these things should mitigate in favor of your finding a player in a wrecking yard car.

Good luck and happy hunting!:)

contourbs
11-23-06, 09:13 PM
gm does not make that changer. find out which company does and buy the cartiridge aftermarket

bK caddy
11-23-06, 11:19 PM
thanks guardian

it made by a pioneer, i have the box the guy gave me when i got the car but it belong to 2001 catera but its missing the cds mag, im not sure if it would work if i get the mag

newbee
11-27-06, 11:14 AM
I would be alittle worried about a CD changer from a wrecking yard. Awhile back i got rearended, not even very hard, and it knocked my changer out of comission for quite a while, mag wouldnt eject (till I punched it really hard, now it works perfect). Im pretty sure the changer for the 97 is made by Delco or some shit.

Resilient
11-27-06, 11:43 AM
My 98 Cat has a 10 cd changer made by Sony.

guardian
11-27-06, 12:11 PM
I would be a little worried about a CD changer from a wrecking yard. . . . . . . . . . .

Agreed and thanks for sounding this cautionary note.

Anything like this needs to be bought with at least a "no DOA" guarantee when it's from a wrecking yard, and a better guarantee than that if you can negotiate it.

No way should you chance buying "as is".

At the better yards though, unless the unit were being sold "for parts", this kind of thing would be implicit in the sale.

jimmyk
11-27-06, 02:48 PM
I have one . Will sell for $ 150 U.S plus shipping. Works great . Just don't like having to change CD's with trunk mount changer. You can contact me via this forum if you are interested.

bK caddy
11-27-06, 07:34 PM
well my my speakers inside its says Boss, so im not sure what the changer would be?
the one i have for the 2001 cd changer box is pioneer
is there away i can find out?

newbee
11-29-06, 11:18 AM
Did they seriously put a different changer in every year of the car?

bK caddy
11-29-06, 01:24 PM
well the one i have is pioneer and when i went and ask if thats belong to my 97 he said it belong to 2001

bK caddy
12-03-06, 12:33 AM
what brand is your cd changer jimmyk??

nerdifiedgeek
12-04-06, 08:10 AM
If you're just looking for the magazine then I would go on ebay. Mine was missing the magazine when I got it, so I just looked at my changer, found out the model number and such and did a search for the magazine on ebay. Found one for $40. I'm not sure whether that's your problem or not though

bK caddy
12-04-06, 09:21 AM
that was my problem at first but now i been told the cd changer box i got isnt for the 97 cat
what kinda cd changer box in the 97 cat!?!?

jimmyk
12-04-06, 02:22 PM
:bigroll:
bkcaddy :

It is a Delco original from 1997 Catera . Includes changer and disc cartridge. Connects directly to wiring harness in right side of your trunk. Operates from Bose radio or steering wheel controls. Let me know if you want it. You can e-mail me @ rpd1946@yahoo.ca

AllenPacla
12-07-06, 01:11 AM
Guys, don't waste your time on a changer. What i did is buy an interface that connects to the changer connector in the trunk enabling me to connect my mp3 player. A lot better than tinkering with what cd to put inside the changer every now and then.

bK caddy
12-07-06, 07:34 AM
allenpacla post a picture

todd2fst4u
12-07-06, 09:27 AM
Guys, don't waste your time on a changer. What i did is buy an interface that connects to the changer connector in the trunk enabling me to connect my mp3 player. A lot better than tinkering with what cd to put inside the changer every now and then.

which brand and model? post a link if you can.