: Radio issues

DVC-Don
11-23-06, 08:13 AM
Well, the wifes SRX was in to replace a bad converter and we had some issues with the radio ie: shuffling the CD's, no volume, trip mileage and fuel used resetting to 0 on it's own. So the dealer replaced the radio but last night on the ride home I discovered none of the steering wheel controls do what they are supposed to. Example: volume control changes the station now. Mute control changes from radio to CD. And so on. I'm hoping the tech just plugged things together wrong. Sigh, guess I'll call on that after the holiday.:bigroll:

Mike_S_30189
11-23-06, 09:57 AM
Not to fear, I had the same problem. This is a dealership tech issue vs SRX. I had to return to dealer and they handled in a few minutes.

c5 rv
11-23-06, 09:44 PM
How do they do it? My current pet peeve with GM is that I have 3 cars with steering wheel controls and they all work differently. It would be nice if GM, or I, could get them all to function in the same manner.

TSS
11-24-06, 10:48 AM
Agree. It would be nice if my two Cadillac (let alone GM) steering wheel controls were the same.

DVC-Don
12-09-06, 11:08 AM
I'm going to call and schedule an appointment Monday to resolve this, I've just been too busy lately. In addition to the steering wheel radio controls being out of wack, I've discovered there is no tire pressure info at all on the DIC. I'm hoping this is all just a matter of the tech plugged something in wrong.

ewill3rd
12-09-06, 01:00 PM
Don,

They have to go into the radio with the Tech 2.

The radio was not "set up" properly.
Tell them under the special functions menu that they have to select "optional modules". They need to select the Tire monitor, Onstar, the rear seat DVD if you have it and XM if you have it and "save options".
Then they need to change the vehicle type from CTS to SRX. They all come programmed for CTS and if you don't change it to SRX the steering wheel controls will be all whacked out.

HTH

davedogcaddy
12-09-06, 01:38 PM
same exact thing happened to me when they changed my radio out for the same reason you had yours changed out. Steering wheel controls all wrong, no tire pressure, no XM Radio, etc. I had picked mine up after hours on a friday so I had to live with it that way all weekend. It took them about 10 minutes to reprogram. This is really bad, that they don't know anybetter. When I first called in they said they'd prob have to order another unit! I guess someone there actually decided to do some research. You think that there would be a procedure for these guys to follow or something (i.e. "Step 12: If SRX use tech2 to reprogram for SRX).

-dave

nstar
12-09-06, 02:10 PM
same exact thing happened to me when they changed my radio out for the same reason you had yours changed out. Steering wheel controls all wrong, no tire pressure, no XM Radio, etc. I had picked mine up after hours on a friday so I had to live with it that way all weekend. It took them about 10 minutes to reprogram. This is really bad, that they don't know anybetter. When I first called in they said they'd prob have to order another unit! I guess someone there actually decided to do some research. You think that there would be a procedure for these guys to follow or something (i.e. "Step 12: If SRX use tech2 to reprogram for SRX).

-dave
This is my problem with same experience with the vehicle I own on several instances after repair on vehicle including this same repair it is not checked to see if repair is correct and everything is working properly!!!!!!!! Its like if you repair or change your entrance door lock on your home you would try it to make sure key worked and that door closed and locked and if it didn't you worked on it until it worked properly. Another thing I've noticed if you have some problem with a repair at dealership GM never sends customer dealer surveys to ask how quality of your service was this is also something that is puzzling.

DVC-Don
12-09-06, 02:53 PM
.................... Another thing I've noticed if you have some problem with a repair at dealership GM never sends customer dealer surveys to ask how quality of your service was this is also something that is puzzling.

I've always received them in the past, just not so far for this repair. I got a survey today for my Hummer that had a warrenty repair the week before the SRX went in for this so I expect to get one for the SRX soon.

The wife loves the SRX and I like driving it, but it seems to be in the dealer all the time for warrenty stuff. My Hummer has only been in once since I got it for a warrenty thing. We'll probably get rid of the SRX towards the end of the warrenty, which will be in 11,000 miles.

ewill3rd
12-09-06, 05:48 PM
It happened to me (from the tech end) once.
After that I learned my lesson. I do all the radio work at our dealership so usually things like this are not an issue, however if I get too busy they hand the work to someone else and they might miss something like that.

To be fair, it's really hard to memorize all the setup procedures for the electronics on these vehicles, but I agree they should take the time to walk over to the computer and look it up if they don't know.
We get a lot of pressure from the advisors and management sometimes to keep cars moving through the shop and sometimes it gets to us and we miss stuff.
I understand your frustration though, and I feel you are justified in being just that, frustrated.
Just wanted to take a minute to explain it from the other side.

When you get your car back after a service visit and everything has been fixed just the way you like it, make note of who worked on your car and ask for them when you come in next time. Otherwise it might be a get whoever walks up kind of thing and not all guys in the shop are at the same skill level.
I always appreciate it when customers ask for me and I try to take good care of them. I have lots of customers who post on this forum, feel free to ask them if they are satisfied with my service. If they aren't, they know they can come to me and I'll make it right.

Infrared in Idaho
12-12-06, 02:20 AM
ewill3rd, I wish there were more Tech's like you. The one's that take pride in their work. I've got two local Cadillac Dealers (Boise). One is not too bad. The closest I would never take a vehicle of any kind to. Every time I go to the Service/Parts Department for my 04 SRX, the Tech behind the counter always asks "Is that a Pontiac". After I mentally rip his head off, I just want to say -- "Guess what buddy, it's a CADILLAC and you just lost my bussiness!!!" But like I said, that God for Tech like you!!!

ewill3rd
12-12-06, 08:37 AM
Infra,

Thanks very much for the kind words.

It's a pretty cut throat business these days and the way most shops are set up really doesn't promote integrity. Not to make excuses for my peers.
It is what we make it. Too many people seem to want to follow the "easy" path. I strive to do it right, although as my boss will tell you... I have lapses every now and then.
;)

MortnCyn
12-12-06, 06:02 PM
Infra,

Thanks very much for the kind words.

It's a pretty cut throat business these days and the way most shops are set up really doesn't promote integrity. Not to make excuses for my peers.
It is what we make it. Too many people seem to want to follow the "easy" path. I strive to do it right, although as my boss will tell you... I have lapses every now and then.
;) Which proves that the only techs & service advisors that never make a mistake are the ones that are not doing anything. I had problems with my '04 but the service people were interested and helpful. Possibly I was more patient than some customers in that I have sold industrial equipment for years and know there will be problems and the manufacturer does not always have an immediate answer. It is a two way street. Do not alienate the one that can help you. The worst thing that happens to a dealer is when the manufacturer creates a problem that cannot be fixed by the dealer. For example, body fit.

DVC-Don
12-14-06, 08:45 PM
Dropped the SRX off this morning and got a 07 CTS for the day. Anyway the radio is reprogramed and is working just fine. Yep, the service lady said the first tech did not realize it was programed for a CTS.

Got an oil change, tire rotation and wash while it was there.

ewill3rd
12-15-06, 07:41 AM
Yep Don,

For some reason they all come configured for a CTS.
Pretty strange if you ask me. I guess they have to be set for one or the other and I'd almost bet that there are more CTSs on the road than SRX.

Glad to hear they got it fixed for you.
Is the TPM and all the other stuff working okay now too?

DVC-Don
12-15-06, 08:26 AM
Yep, everything is fine now.

Rod04
12-27-06, 11:25 PM
Don,

They have to go into the radio with the Tech 2.

The radio was not "set up" properly.
Tell them under the special functions menu that they have to select "optional modules". They need to select the Tire monitor, Onstar, the rear seat DVD if you have it and XM if you have it and "save options".
Then they need to change the vehicle type from CTS to SRX. They all come programmed for CTS and if you don't change it to SRX the steering wheel controls will be all whacked out.

HTH
What you mentioned may be solution to a mystery I have been working on. I have an iPod that I would like to operate thru the factory radio (standard sound system with six CD changer option). Car is 2004 SRX. Someone now makes an iPod adapter that plugs into radio head where the XM module usually plugs in. The module not only connects to the iPod thru the flat bottom connector and provides power to the iPod but also has a second set of RCA input plugs for an additional sound source. Problem is that my car does not show either XM1 or XM2 when I cycle thru the "band" options. Also, there is no apparent XM antenna visible.

I think that the radio has never been (but can be) programmed to expect an XM module to be attached. It sounds like I need to get the dealer to reprogram the radio to expect to see the XM module and then I can get the iPod adapter that substitutes for XM.

The dealer who sold and services this car is generally quite good at providing customer satisfaction. I think I may have not hooked up with the right person at the dealership to resolve this esoteric issue.

Have I understood the technical issue correctly?

Thanks.

ewill3rd
12-28-06, 08:53 AM
Rod,

I am not sure how that interface is designed.
Have you installed this kit yet? Even if the radio has the XM option turned on it won't actually go to XM unless it establishes communication with the XM receiver itself.
The only i-pod interface I have seen actually ties into the existing XM tuner wiring and has a switch to change from XM to the auxiliary input. If that is how yours is set up I think you could use the existing harness (if it's there) with no XM tuner.
The XM receiver is actually a different module.
On CTS its on the rear shelf, on the SRX its buried behind the right trim panel in the back.

I don't know many specifics about hooking those things up, like I said, I have only done one.
The XM option in radio setup just tells the radio to look for the tuner, it still will not show on the band selection unless the radio actually sees the reciever.

Rod04
12-29-06, 02:23 AM
Rod,

I am not sure how that interface is designed.
Have you installed this kit yet? Even if the radio has the XM option turned on it won't actually go to XM unless it establishes communication with the XM receiver itself.
The only i-pod interface I have seen actually ties into the existing XM tuner wiring and has a switch to change from XM to the auxiliary input. If that is how yours is set up I think you could use the existing harness (if it's there) with no XM tuner.
The XM receiver is actually a different module.
On CTS its on the rear shelf, on the SRX its buried behind the right trim panel in the back.

I don't know many specifics about hooking those things up, like I said, I have only done one.
The XM option in radio setup just tells the radio to look for the tuner, it still will not show on the band selection unless the radio actually sees the reciever.

Thank you so much for your insight. You may have only done one on an SRX but that is one more than most have ever done. The radio tech at my dealer was not in when I went to the dealer, but no one there had the slightest idea about all of this. They said they just send anyone who wants to hook up an iPod to one of the local auto radio/electronics shops. And none of the local shops had ever dug into an SRX. None seemed too anxious to try and long ago I learned not to volunteer to become a beta tester on something I like to use every day (like my car).

You said the XM module was buried inside the right trim panel in rear. Could you possibly give a better description and an idea of what the module looks like? Somehow, I think I will be the one digging in to try to find it.

I mentioned on a different post that I can find no obvious XM antenna on the car. Certainly not on the roof anywhere. So I cannot use an antenna coax cable to trace or use to ID the XM rcvr.

Car also has On-Star and the black corkscrew antenna on RT rear aft window.

Also in another post, I asked if anyone knew what the little box mounted at the top of the front windscreen and just to the right of the rear view mirror might be? It is about 1 1/2 in wide and has a flatter piece of plastic that runs upwards under the headliner right near the right overhead courtesy light above the rear view mirror. There is a small diameter wire (maybe 1/8 in dia) with a round, knurled connector exiting the box and also running up under the headliner. Looks like it might be very small diameter coax. Whatever is in this box, it looks out thru the tinting at the upper edge of the windscreen. I think it is probbly not a light sensor because of the tinting. I have always suspected that this might be the XM antenna for the earliest production cars. Mine was built in fall 2003 so it is among the very earliest SRXs. The build sticker shows that it has the U2K option. Did they offer this option without a satellite millimeter band antenna? Might this option include an XM receiver? If the little box is the satellie antenna, might the XM receiver be in the front of the car to be nearer the antenna and keep line length short and hence, signal losses low, perhaps behind the head unit or even up in the overhead module that includes the rear wiper control?

Sorry for the long post. It is just that it is a delight to find someone who is both experienced and thoughtful on a topic that has been a puzzle.

ewill3rd
12-29-06, 08:34 AM
I don't mind long posts.
As for the device on the windshield, I am not exactly sure. Can you take a digital photo and post it?
I don't have any SRX in the shop right now but I'll try to keep an eye out for that. The U2K option is XM radio so there should be a receiver in the car.
To access it you have to remove the large panel that goes from the back of the right rear door to the endgate on the right side. It can be a pain but we can usually get in there in about 15 minutes, you just have to know what to take off. The XM receiver and the OnStar unit are mounted in the same bracket in that right rear corner. There is usually a subwoofer box in there, you just remove that to access the modules behind it.
If you can't get me a picture of this thing on the windshield let me know and I'll do some digging in the manual. Usually the SRX has the roof mounted antenna for XM and it should bear the XM logo on the front of it.
If you want to PM me the last 8 of the VIN I can double check the RPOs to see what kind of equipment you have on that one.

Rod04
01-01-07, 04:03 PM
Can't PM; don't have 50+ posts so here goes.

Here re severl pix of the little "box."

Note smal wire coming out of the box with apprently screw on/off connector. Is this coax? If this is the XM antenna, I would guess the XM module might be right behind it in the overhead just behind the rear view mirror. There are absolutely no antennas on the roof of the car. Only antennas I can ID are 1.) corkscrew on rt rear side probably for OnStar; 2.) printed gold "wires" on both side rear windows probably for the FM. There is nothing on the roof save for the roof rack. I have seen current model antennas on rear of roof center line and there is nothing like that anywhere on the car or roof.

Keep in mind that this car was built in Dec 2003 so factory might have been using pototype and off-the-shelf type stuff to get the first few out the door.

As a matter of curiosity, what is in the rear view mirror stalk? It could be an antenna (GPS or XM, light sensor or who knows what). This car does not have nav and has the standard radio with 6 CD changer.

Lastly, does the C-3 connector on rear of radio head unit have audio inputs on pins #1,3,4 or 8 that could be used for a "dumb" connection to an iPod so that audio could be run thru car audio amp and spkrs? If so, how could these inputs be recognized by the "smart" part of the radio?

Pix follow.

Vin40146665

Rod04
01-01-07, 04:15 PM
I don't mind long posts.
As for the device on the windshield, I am not exactly sure. Can you take a digital photo and post it?
I don't have any SRX in the shop right now but I'll try to keep an eye out for that. The U2K option is XM radio so there should be a receiver in the car.
To access it you have to remove the large panel that goes from the back of the right rear door to the endgate on the right side. It can be a pain but we can usually get in there in about 15 minutes, you just have to know what to take off. The XM receiver and the OnStar unit are mounted in the same bracket in that right rear corner. There is usually a subwoofer box in there, you just remove that to access the modules behind it.
If you can't get me a picture of this thing on the windshield let me know and I'll do some digging in the manual. Usually the SRX has the roof mounted antenna for XM and it should bear the XM logo on the front of it.
If you want to PM me the last 8 of the VIN I can double check the RPOs to see what kind of equipment you have on that one.

Note text of reply is in separate message. This reply pix only.

ewill3rd
01-01-07, 06:52 PM
Not sure about the back of that radio.
Is this a domestic car?
That windshield mounted antenna is a GPS antenna for the OnStar system, and yes that is just a small coaxial cable.
They stopped using those shortly after that car was built.
Those were replaced with a roof mount antenna in the rear, coupled with the XM antenna. They still had the cellular antenna on the side glass for a year I believe.
Since then the OnStar GPS antenna and cellular antenna have also been added to the roof mount and the antenna for the nav unit would be located under the dash panel (if it had nav).

I haven't messed with the hookups on the back of those units except to unplug a factory one and plug one back in.
Not sure what all that stuff is. I could do some digging later in the week.

yourgmsolutions
01-01-07, 07:06 PM
Not sure about the back of that radio.
Is this a domestic car?

this is picture of CTS Nav radio.
I installed it a few times into SRX. had few problems. steering wheel controls did not work right. and tire pressure monitors did not show on the screen

Rod04
01-02-07, 12:46 AM
Hi ewill3rd, Thanks for your reply and thoughts. Sorry for all of typos in earlier post. I had a youngster in my lap while typing.

I didn't take the pix of rear of radio head unit. The pix of rear of radio head unit is from an FAQ section of this forum - or linked to this forum. Here is the URL for it: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/xminstall/index.html. I do note on the pin out list for the C-3 connector on rear of radio head unit that there are designated inputs for left and right audio from XM. But there could be all sorts of issues about how to get the radio to recognize the inputs on C-3 connector (apparently where the XM adapter plugs in to the head unit) and if the signals the head unit expects to see are something other than typical nominal 1v level analog audio signals.

Maybe at that point the radio expects to see analog audio on these pins and the band readout, if this condition is met, will then display XM1 and XM2 as band options. If that is the case, that could explain why the radio does not show XM1 or XM2 on the band display if the satellite goes down or you are in a tunnel or the enabling code from the satellite is somehow distorted or misread and the XM adapter no longer can generate an audio signal.

Another possibility is that the XM adapter sends an enabling digital signal on pin 2 (Class 2 erial Data).

yourgmsolutions
01-02-07, 01:08 AM
Rod, if you don't mind me asking. are you trying to install an iPod or XM ?

Rod04
01-02-07, 01:12 AM
Hi ewill3rd. Sorry forgot to add in response to your question about whether this is a domestic car, my 04 SRX made in plant 140E (wherever is) and first sold thru a dealer in So Calif.

Thanks for shedding some light on what the box on the windshield it. Sort of thought it was something that had comm w/ satellite because the very small size said, if it were an antenna, it was working at extremely small wavelength. I don't say this to cast doubt on what you have told me, only to comment on the irony and humor of the situation. I have a car without the nav system but with GPS antenna for the nav system and a radio with XM capability (U2K option installed) but no XM antenna. Isn't that a dilly, but really not so strange come to think of it because many things that do not make sense to me come out of Detroit and, for that matter from Mercedes, Toyota, Volvo and the others. Plus, even more strange things happen in vehicles produced at the very beginning of a new vehicle run.

Are there any sensors housed in the rear view mirror stalk that look forward thru the front windscreen?

Many Thanks

Rod04
01-02-07, 01:19 AM
Rod, if you don't mind me asking. are you trying to install an iPod or XM ?

I am trying to install an iPod adapter. I have been told that that is possible only if my radio is XM ready or equipped. I understand the logic of that info, but when I saw the pin out diagram I began to think it might be possible to just feed the iPod output to the audio input pins of the C-3 connector if the radio would recognize this input.

It would be nice to have the song info show on the radio display, but I would gladly settle for just the music thru the audio system. I have tried an FM transmitter on another car and found that unsatisfactory in quality of sound and also in interference as I drove around.

ewill3rd
01-02-07, 07:24 AM
I may have confused you, the antenna in the windshield is the GPS antenna for OnStar.
IF you had a nav radio the antenna would not be visible, it mounts under the dash.

Typically what happens is that two of the lines are audio (left and right) and there is a 3rd for communication. I haven't specifically studied your model specifications but this used to be done with a wire called the E&C bus. The module in question requests control of the radio by initiating a signal and then the radio monitors the input signals on the other two wires.
On yours this may be a class 2 request. All you'd have to do to hook up a module like an i-pod, is figure out how the request is handled and duplicate it, then the radio would see such a device as the XM tuner.

There is usually one of two reasons the XM band is not displayed.
1. The radio is not configured properly to look for the XM receiver
2. The radio cannot communicate with the XM receiver, that could mean a part failure, broken or otherwise damaged wiring, or a poor connection at the XM tuner.

Rod04
01-02-07, 10:52 PM
This afternoon it was warm and sunny and I decided it was time to tear into the back Rt corner of the SRX and see if I could find an XM module. I didn't find one. I didn't get everything off, but I got mosh off and pulled the rest back enough so I was able to see about everywhere. There was nothing but some wires in the RT aft corner. I didn't remove the subwoofer module, but I used a flashlight and mirror to look all around and under it. Besides some wiring, I saw a relay just aft of where the gas tank fill is located. In same area I found an ALPS "rear interface module" P/N 25759960 (also had the number 3286V 030825 printed on it). This doesn't look like something that deals with millimeter band RF and it has no coax inputs for an antenna. Basically there was not a sign of an XM module and neither was there any sign of an XM antenna. Both of these together are not encouraging.

Also, in the daylight, I reinspected the build tag in the rear and saw that the radio option is U2S, not U2K.

Anyway, I think I'll ask my son who wanted to get me an iPod interface for the SRX for Christmas to get a Garmin C320 instead.

Tomorrow I'll put all of the panels and fasteners back together and see how many parts are left over when I'm finished.

Thanks , especially to ewill3rd, for the help and encouragement.

yourgmsolutions
01-02-07, 11:25 PM
BTW, I do have iPod kit for SRX, but since your vehicle did not come with XM from factory, this option needs to be activated in order to use ipod kit

Rod04
01-03-07, 12:54 AM
What sort of budgetary pricing for all of the various hardware pieces needed to make it work - XM adapter, iPod adapter, any other hardware pieces? I could find out local labor prices for actual installation.

yourgmsolutions
01-03-07, 01:23 AM
kit comes with module/iPod cable/harness, one side of the harness comes with pins that you'll need to insert into plug behined your factory radio
$175

Cuhulin
05-29-07, 11:08 AM
Would you mind mentioning which is the dealer that isn't too bad? I live in Meridian and am about to replace both of my cars. Both the '08 CTS and SRX are on my short list, but the only dealers I have experience with are Chrysler dealers, so I've been wondering.