: Any other males cook the whole dinner?

BLACK_CTSV
11-23-06, 04:10 AM
It's a tradition for me - for the past 9 years I've cooked the whole Thanksgiving dinner for as many as 24 people. The wife is not allowed to do anything! This year is small, but still fun for me. We have 9 people coming. So far I've cooked 2 pies [from scratch - including a real pumpkin pie, 2 kinds of stuffing - cornbread [best in the world] and a 'normal' bread stuffing, cooked the ham hocks for collards, boiled the pasta for the mac and cheese, Chex mix, prepped the turkeys (one for deep frying), etc., etc. Can't wait for the football to start tomorrow! :bouncy:

Also, had a couple cocktails along the way. :cheers:

Happy T-day! :thumbsup:

c5 rv
11-23-06, 07:36 AM
I have to do the cooking every weekend when we don't have caregivers to help, so I'm happy to go to my in-laws and let the rest of my wife's family do the cooking for holidays. Happy Thanksgiving. Go Lions! :rolleyes:

dp102288
11-23-06, 09:07 AM
Nah, I just eat. But you do a good job to give the wife a break!

Let me ask, does it pay off? :lildevil:

ewill3rd
11-23-06, 09:18 AM
I do the cooking in my house, all of it pretty much.
My wife has only one hand and she's not very good in the kitchen.
She usually ends up burning herself and she's deathly afraid of knives.
We used to get a turkey from the boss where I worked before but for some odd reason I can't handle the bird carcass before it's cooked. She would prepare the bird and I'd move it around and put it in the oven. She did make delicious birds!
There are only 4 of us though so we'd end up throwing most of the bird away. We changed a couple years ago and now our tradition is "Turkey Tacos". I know it sounds odd, but I put out a nice spread of seasoned meat and all the fixins and the three of us chow down on tacos and chips. Our family is all far away so we just have a small celebration.
The only real drawback is that I clean the kitchen too. Today I'll have to do it twice!
I actually love to cook but lately I have been so tired I have been eating out of the freezer and the microwave.

Elvis
11-23-06, 09:24 AM
The older I get, and the better I get at doing it, the more cooking I do. I really enjoy it, too.

But for Thanksgiving we have a new tradition, a guy we know owns a really good BBQ pit/restaurant, and he smokes turkeys every year. For $39.25 we get a 12-lb. turkey with all the fixins. We don't eat his dressing but his gravy is really good once I've doctored it a little.

CIWS
11-23-06, 09:31 AM
I prepurchase the smoked turkey and pizza, but then add my own stuff to it and cook it in the oven myself. :D ;)

Oh and I also let others brew my beer.

Jesda
11-23-06, 03:48 PM
Women were invented for a reason.

[booo! hisss!]
:D

Florian
11-23-06, 04:09 PM
every year I cook....the same stuff...

Shrimp Creole, Red beans and rice, Barbecue shrimp and Jambalaya...bread pudding for dessert and Abita beer.

F

railven
11-23-06, 04:21 PM
Hey how is that deep fried turkey? I've never had some. My girlfriend's dad said he'd make one this year, I have no comfirmation yet, but if he does what am I in for? Better then traditional turkey? I'm sort of excited to try it out.

Murphyg
11-23-06, 09:47 PM
Have heard its fabulous.
Dont cook with stuffing though lol

Murphyg
11-23-06, 09:51 PM
In my experience men cooking is where its at.
90% of the best chefs of the world are men.
If I want to eat good then I cook.
But is odd that most of the recipies are written by women
Hmmmmm ?

ShadowLvr400
11-23-06, 09:54 PM
Fried turkey.... Is NOT for the careless!!! The number of people who have screwed up and started fires trying to fry is quite large. Additionally, you're dealing with a LOT of hot oil. Be careful.

As for flavor... It's good, quite good, but for me, there was a hint of oiliness that just felt out of place on a turkey. It reminded me right away of any fried food. A sensation as you eat, that this is not the healthiest thing to be eating. I prefer a brined and then roasted, or even a smoked turkey.

Oh, and yea, I do the cooking, but I am a trained chef.

Elvis
11-23-06, 10:54 PM
I didn't like it. Too greasy. Peanut oil and turkey just didn't seem right at Thanksgiving. Otherwise it's a tasty treat, but probably not very healthy. I prefer smoked or baked with stuffing inside.

railven
11-23-06, 11:08 PM
well I got a slice of deep fried turkey waiting at home and traditional turkey. I'm looking forward to the fried turkey, it just sounds good. I hope it doesn't take like fried chicken.

My girlfriend said it was good but she mentioned it felt oily and wasn't sure she could stomach too much of it.

We'll see.

Ranger
11-23-06, 11:17 PM
Hey how is that deep fried turkey? I've never had some. My girlfriend's dad said he'd make one this year, I have no comfirmation yet, but if he does what am I in for? Better then traditional turkey? I'm sort of excited to try it out.
I don't do any cooking. Probably why I got married, but last year I did do a deep fried turkey. Now I am not a turkey lover but as turkeys go, that was one of the better I have ever had. I borrowed the deep frier to try it out. If it wasn't such a mess to clean up and store, I'd like to buy one and do chicken in it. I bet that would be very good.

Murphyg
11-23-06, 11:18 PM
Can anyone say KFT.

Benzilla
11-23-06, 11:43 PM
My Dad always does the cooking, my Mom can - and has - burned water dry... He's really good at cooking, and he's lived in a lot of different places so there's always something different to try, he really likes German food ( I can't stand it) he's big on southern greens, and he makes wonderful Italian. His manicotti is mouth-watering. And he hardly ever used recipes, just a little of this, a little if that and it comes out great. Too bad I can't cook worth shit, I'll starve when I stop eating his Sunday dinners lol.

Leeb
11-24-06, 05:12 AM
Can anyone say KFT.

Kentucky-Fried Turkey?:rolleyes:

ewill3rd
11-24-06, 07:39 AM
I'll never eat another deep fried turkey as long as I live.
Don't ask for the details!

:getaway:

RobertCTS
11-24-06, 08:04 AM
I don't eat anything from a deep fryer. Nasty stuff for our hearts.
Me and the wife split up the dinner preparations. As usual I ate to much again. The dressing is my favorite.

CIWS
11-24-06, 08:15 AM
Want a good smoked turkey you don't have to cook and brought to your door ? These folks are a couple of hours east of Dallas in Tyler Texas.

http://www.gobblegobble.com/

dp102288
11-24-06, 09:55 AM
I don't like fried foods.

My mom brined and baked our turkey in the oven. Was the best damn turkey I ever had.

BLACK_CTSV
11-24-06, 12:08 PM

It was REALLY good! I was surprised how easy it was. You definitely need to be careful, as you could do some serious damage with that equipment, but overall it was a no-brainer, and some of the best turkey I've had. :thumbsup:

Murphyg
11-24-06, 05:56 PM
Apparently the fire departments all over the US were quite busy yesterday.
It seems that alot were not aware that they arent supposed to drop a frozen bird into a giant vat of hot oil.
I bet there are alot of clips on you tube already.

I love all deep fry in general. Guess Im one of the lucky ones with a high metabolism or something. I can preety well eat anything when I want and it doesnt affect me. Sure pisses the wife off.
Its not as though its a regular thing. I do balance everything out. But its not as though I have to worry about it and have to regulate myself.

My Dad always does the cooking, my Mom can - and has - burned water dry... He's really good at cooking, and he's lived in a lot of different places so there's always something different to try, he really likes German food ( I can't stand it) he's big on southern greens, and he makes wonderful Italian. His manicotti is mouth-watering. And he hardly ever used recipes, just a little of this, a little if that and it comes out great. Too bad I can't cook worth shit, I'll starve when I stop eating his Sunday dinners lol.

Is where i got the nack from.
My father also did alot of cooking when I was younger. Can cook anything. Does jams, preservers, pickling, the works.
So thats how I got into it. Was never actually a chef per say. Never got my papers. But I have worked for a couple of great ones, and at least one very well known.
I also do it the same way. Nothing from a recipe. Im constantly asked for recipies but there is nothing I can do for them. Its all in the head.
A little this and some of that and ...Voila !!

Would have to say my piece da, resitance would be my prime rib of beef.
Is all in the rub and cooking temp.
Also make a mean lasagna. About 15lbs per tray. Yes I weighed it. lol.
Thats basically a whole afternoon of creation.
Then there's jerk chicken. I do have a recipe for that. Friend of mine got it from a women from Jamaica The only way it can be made is hot or forget it.
The wife and mother in law cant even be in the kitchen during the prep. Its that good.

Damn...now im hungry.
Think Ill make a peanut butter sandwich LOL

dp102288
11-24-06, 09:15 PM
^^ So true about the jerk chicken. Great lady about 30 minutes from me makes the best jerk chicken and pork. I would drive there everyday to eat the stuff.

Murphyg
11-24-06, 11:33 PM
Nah, I just eat. But you do a good job to give the wife a break!

Let me ask, does it pay off? :lildevil:

^^ So true about the jerk chicken. Great lady about 30 minutes from me makes the best jerk chicken and pork. I would drive there everyday to eat the stuff.

I don't like fried foods.

My mom brined and baked our turkey in the oven. Was the best damn turkey I ever had.

Guess its pretty obvious that dp doesnt know any males that cook.

Just postin for the sake of the post :gurl:

behind-bars
11-25-06, 12:06 AM
Want a good smoked turkey you don't have to cook and brought to your door ? These folks are a couple of hours east of Dallas in Tyler Texas.

http://www.gobblegobble.com/

Haha, Did you know Tyler is the "Rose Capital"? Apparently we are more well known for our smoked turkeys. :)

Ever since Opera had them on her show a few years back business for them has really taken off.

They are great turkeys, didnt get one this year though :crybaby: may have to snag one for Christmas.

When you walk into their warehouse their are turkeys stacked everywhere and the smell is overwhelmingly pleasant.

They truly are good stuff

dp102288
11-25-06, 08:10 AM
Guess its pretty obvious that dp doesnt know any males that cook.

Just postin for the sake of the post :gurl:

Me and my dad can cook, but we suck more at it! :D

CIWS
11-25-06, 08:15 AM
Haha, Did you know Tyler is the "Rose Capital"? Apparently we are more well known for our smoked turkeys. :)

Ewwww Oprah :vomit:

Yeah I knew that about Tyler, I have a brother over in Whitehouse. (at least I think he's still there.)

Rolex
11-25-06, 08:46 PM
I do all the cooking around my house. My wife can't cook to save her life. Fortunately we went to my relatives for Thanksgiving so I didn't have to do anything but EAT. :D