: Part seven billion, three hundred and seven on my SBC project. Help! Almost done...

Spyder
11-22-06, 04:54 PM
BUT, there appears to be coolant pouring out of my power steering pump.

Yes, the power steering pump.

Truck runs great, better than ever, everything is hooked up, but it leaks water faster than I can put it in. WTF? It's probably a bolt in a coolant passage that needs RTV, I hope...That's what it was when I did this same job a long long time ago in my mopar, but I don't know where the water passages are in the heads of a Chevy. Anyone have any ideas of where I should look? I can't find where its coming from.

Spyder
11-22-06, 05:34 PM
Ok. Found the leak. It's a real whore of a spot to have one too, damnitt all. Totally non-related to my whole series of problems up until now. It's a F'KIN FREEZE PLUG io the block. Guess its time to knock the son of a ____ out and jam a new one in there...but I'm not sure how easy it'll be. I got lucky when I had to do this on my old Dodge engine...popped out of place like nothing, used a socket to squeeze and pound the new one in, and she never leaked again. Any suggestions would be appreciated...gonna shower up and head to work now, but I'll be doing this first thing in the morning...

And I do have a bolt left over...strangely enough, its one that looks like it goes through a coolant passage, as the shank is narrower than the rest...but I can't, for the life of me, find where it goes and the engine seems to run great, with good compression on all holes. Hmm.

dp102288
11-22-06, 11:40 PM
I'm a little speechless...collant from the steering pump? Wow.

Well you must be learning a lot! :getaway:

Spyder
11-22-06, 11:44 PM
nah, not FROM it, see, but it sure as hell appeared to be coming from it...The freeze plug is directly behind the pump, the hole, with pressure from the waterlevel being above it, was small enough to squirt into the pump nooks and crannys and pulley and ran out through a small seam at the bottom. If I DIDN'T know it was impossible, I'd have sworn that was where it was coming from. :D

I've been around an engine or six in my time, mostly big block fords and mopars, but I am by no means any sort of professional...and this is the first Chevy I've worked on...and I hate it.

dp102288
11-23-06, 08:54 AM
^^ Oh. Damn, that set or circumstances to take palce really sucks.

Good luck & keep us posted! :thumbsup: