: iPod questions....

xxpinballxx
11-22-06, 01:37 PM
I know a gadget geek with a ipod question....
I just never had a desire to get one. But now i am going to get back into training and think a nano is the best option. I am wondering who has them and which ones or how they like them or any other comments i might want to consider.
I have other mp3 players but I really need a new gadget!

LittleB
11-22-06, 01:41 PM
I have the 30gb video iPod...love it! I have it hooked up in my car. I am constantly downloading new music and I was always having to burn CD's...now it's all in one and I can hear whatever I want!

I saw the new commercial for the new nano ipod....it clips on to your clothing....it looks SO awesome and pefect for someone who will be at the gym working out. You should check that one out!

Rey Rey 650
11-22-06, 01:44 PM
Hey B...Did you know that they have a 80G ipod now! Thats crazy! Im sure uit holds hella songs..... Pinball- is there a reason why you want th nano? You should go with the bigger memory type of IPOD....But like what B said, the nano is good for working out.....I have the same one as B..The 30G Video...

LittleB
11-22-06, 01:47 PM
Whoa 80?!?! That's insane!!!! Hahaha well I will worry about that one once I fill this one up. I have a lot of songs but still TONS of room left.

Rey Rey 650
11-22-06, 01:48 PM
Pinball- something else to think about....The Nano is hella small man.... You're 6'5 and probablly have some big ass hands....Youmight want to ge the normal sized one

CadillacGurl
11-22-06, 01:49 PM
I could deffinately fill an 80 gig up. With all the music I had and won't fit on to my mini anymore, many I'd be a happy person!

LittleB
11-22-06, 01:50 PM
You could fill an 80 gig?? I think the 60 gig is 10,000 songs....wow you have that much music?!?!

Rey Rey 650
11-22-06, 01:50 PM
Whoa 80?!?! That's insane!!!! Hahaha well I will worry about that one once I fill this one up. I have a lot of songs but still TONS of room left.

Yea, me too....I only have about 1800 songs....All my songs were downloaded individually and are hand picked....I misplaced my IPOD on Monday and literally thought i was going to go crazy! .... I actually have transferred my songs on 3 people computers just in case!

LittleB
11-22-06, 01:59 PM
Same here! I have about 1500 and they are all downloaded individually....I don't like CD's too much because I always end up liking only 2 or 3 songs on a CD.

Rey Rey 650
11-22-06, 02:01 PM
^Do you have all your songs stored in your PC...You should have them stored all over the place....I even have them on my work PC

xxpinballxx
11-22-06, 02:12 PM
[I have about 5K songs or so and a bunch of movies and video clips. Would be nice to have the video but the nano will fit nicely around my arm for running. I know its little but i think thats the appeal. I don't want anything that will be felt while running or working out. I even thought about a hat that would hold it so the earbud cord stays out of the way too since I always wear hats and visors.

gdwriter
11-22-06, 02:37 PM
I got a 4GB iPod Nano for $149 in September and love it. My DeVille has the original factory stereo with tape player, so I got a casette adapter; the sound quality is decent enough for my purposes (the FM transmitter was full of static, and it put a serious power drain in the iPod's the battery). I'm borderline too far to get good reception from the Portland radio stations, so it's nice to listen to stuff I like without commercials whenever I want.

I have more than 3,600 songs on my laptop, so I rotate stuff on and off the iPod; I just couldn't justify the more expensive models. Maybe when video drops under $200, I'll upgrade.

Mostly I listen in the car, but I also use my iPod (with the sound way up) when I'm doing yard work. Makes one of my most hated chores go by much faster.

xxpinballxx
11-22-06, 02:39 PM
I think I'll get the 8 gig nano the red special edition one is sweet looking!

CadillacGurl
11-22-06, 03:17 PM
Yeah that is a pretty sweet one! Good luck!

slk230mb
11-22-06, 06:26 PM
B, the shuffle is the one that clips on your clothes. I have a 60gig video and 80 gigs of music on my computer.( 14k+songs).

dp102288
11-22-06, 11:43 PM
Damn, I thought I was a music nut...I just checked: <750 megabytes! And I think that's a lot!

Man, where do people find time to get 80 gigs of music? Limited taste (for me) I guess!

railven
11-23-06, 04:54 PM
I'm still going to brag about this:
My iRiver H380BxT [original model H320 modded to a 80GB HDD] using a hacked firmware, hacked by BxT I don't know how this guy is but I found it at the iriver forums before the thread was closed and I can't find it anymore so I pray that clone copy I made of it works when my HDD dies, does just about everything, except for video out, that the IPOD Video does and its 2 years old.

I don't have the easy use of say iTunes but with my apps I can drag and click video conversions, to the proper format, and synch it with my iRiver. I got USB2GO options too.

I want an IPOD only because of the lack of accessories on my iRiver. I just want that stupid USA-SPEC PA11GM45 so I can hook my mp3 player to a digital feed for my Bose system.

If you want small I'd say go for the new Shuffle it is literally the size of half a altoid's box, and thinner. A good thing for anyone working out.

They should make that device to use external memory devices, such as SD-Mini, to expand its features and give you more options. I wouldn't mind carrying a Shuffle, or any mp3 player that size, with a pocket full of SD-Mini cards just swap em at my leisure...but thats just me.

xxpinballxx
11-23-06, 06:00 PM
I have a zen micro a sanyo a archos av400 and the archos PMV500 and a few different nomads a dell jukebox. I also use my PSP too. I want the nano since its only 150 and then get a zune to just see what its all about. Like i said i am a tech gadget junkie....I buy things to just have. I have a n-gage and never even used it other than the first weekend i got it.

railven
11-23-06, 06:29 PM
N-Gage's second version had potentional over the initial launch to bad Nokia said "screw it!" Their 3D engine had more horses and the response time was a bit better. Once they stopped supporting it I sold mine [I didn't have a phone service on it and since it isn't a say real game console I didn't put it in my collection but oddly enough i still got Mario Pinball from when I was like four WOOOT!]

I read so much hype for the Zune but one thing I can't confirm 100% yet is the copyright protection. I doubt the RIAA would allow a device such as the Zune to let you freely share music with friends. If they are DRM'ed files is it the same as the IPOD/iTunes and you get a 5-person limit and require their login information?

xxpinballxx
11-23-06, 06:38 PM
yeah thats another problem with the zune....wondering how thats all gonna play out. I am just not sure if it will be as big as its hype up to. I really want the community aspect to work well. Transferring songs from player to player. I would like to see that all in the works.
I still have my n-gage and about 5 games. Why it is beyond me I cant bring myself to sell any of my gadgets.

railven
11-23-06, 07:17 PM
I've had to sell tons of gadgets. Sometimes to buy new gadgets I'd have to sell the old one to save money.

I'd love to have kept all my gadgets but then I'd have a box full of stuff I never touch. Haha my brother says that about my console collection "you have a shelf of shit you never use, why?"

I wanted to hook up all my consoles in the living room but there is no stand I can think of, unless I wood work one, that would hold them all and still look nice.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-23-06, 08:00 PM
I made a thread like this about three weeks ago. I bought a 30gb iPod and I love it! My only concern is that it's frozen up twice, but nothing major...just like when my computer freezes up....

Otherwise, I have 761 songs, which is my entire music library, on there, and I've only used around 15% of my overall space. Mine will play videos and show pics too. I love it! $265 well spent!

In hindsight, I wish I had the cassette adapter so I could play it in my car, but I bought a 12 disc CD changer like three weeks before my old MP3 player died...so I don't wanna rip my CD changer out of my car and waste $255.

Caddyshack100
11-24-06, 08:49 AM
The cassette adapter is great, sounds so much better than the terrible fm adapter that Belkin or Apple sell. One of the worst things about the FM is getting to hear on the highway, somebody elses IPOD every 10 miles. I had the 60 with 9000 songs, now I have the 80gig, but Apple is now getting very cheap, no wall adapter to charge the thing and now no earphones, but you do get a 20 cent plastic and polyester holder for the easy to scratch display.

dp102288
11-24-06, 09:32 AM
FM transmitters do suck. They draw a lot of power, and it doesn not sounds good at all. If the sound isn't full of static, its way too dull.

xxpinballxx
11-24-06, 05:49 PM
I have mixed feeling...I want the 80gig video but I like the size of the nano 8gig.
I swear I am thinking about getting the nano myself and having my wife buy me the bigger one for Christmas! LOL!
see I am an gadget addict!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-25-06, 12:20 PM
Before I actually went to Best Buy to purchase the iPod, I thought that the Nano would be a better size than the iPod. It's not, I thought the Nano was way to small..my 30gb iPod is the perfect size IMO.

Oh yeah, and the earbuds that come with it suck. After about 3 days they're broken.

xxpinballxx
11-25-06, 05:10 PM
I have around 700 dollars in some shures and etymotics and sony and senheissers i never worry about the supplied earbuds with products.....

railven
11-26-06, 02:58 AM
I picked up an old generation Nano 4GB. This thing is way, way, better then the new generation in terms of size. It is probably 10-15% smaller and thinner.

That new casing on the new Nano makes it too bulky. I don't know if there are any software/hardware revisions but it does just what I need in the Cadillac.

IPOD NANO + USA SPEC PA11-GM45 == tone deaf Railven

[I tested the AUX in with my iRiver and it didn't sound 100% digital. Since it hooks up to your IPOD through the interface slot it doesn't seem to be affected and it plays better. I tried two other devices on the AUX with two seperate cables [1. Monster 2. RCA] with little to no change. So use an IPOD if you have that adapter.]

gdwriter
11-26-06, 03:05 PM
Oh yeah, and the earbuds that come with it suck. After about 3 days they're broken.

My earbuds actually survived a trip through the washer and dryer (I forget I had them in the pocket of a pair of cargo shorts). I will admit the sound quality could probably be better, but I mostly listen to mine in the Caddy or my home stereo via the casette adapter.

The most I've used the earbuds has been while doing yardwork, and sound quality isn't so much of an issue when you're mostly trying to drown out the lawnmower or weed whacker.