: It begins...

ShadowLvr400
11-22-06, 10:05 AM
I've started the prep for thanksgiving dinner. Getting the brine ready for the turkey, it'll sit in that until Saturday, when we're doing our thanksgiving. I work turkey day. 3pm-closing shift. Yay restaurants! Hehehe It should be an interesting day... But the turkey brine is ginger, 2 oranges, a lemon, apple cider, and soy sauce with some salt of course. Soak in that for 2-3 days... Pull it from the bag about 20 minutes before cooking. Mmm... it'll be a good turkey. And all the giblets get brined too, they're the basis for the gravy.

The overall menu....
My 25 lb turkey
Giblet gravy
Garlic Mashed potatoes
7 layer salad
Yeast rolls
Roasted butternut squash with a cider reduction
Green Beans Amondine
Pumpkin Pie

I think there's something missing there....

railven
11-22-06, 10:14 AM
Cranberry Sauce!!! None of that canned crap either if your doing all this work you better home make it!

I'm working too, 3pm-11:30pm, so I'm missing out on the family togetherness.

Well atleast I got Christmas off! WOOOT!

ShadowLvr400
11-22-06, 10:18 AM
Stuffing and cranberry sauces. Forgot them last year.

kellidahorsegirl
11-22-06, 10:56 AM
YUM! Wanna come cook for me? ! ahhaha

My in-laws are coming out and we're not having turkery (hubby is allergic to poultry...seriously) We're having a leg of lamb :D (my parents raise sheep in CA, so I get FREE lamb) SO GOOD!

Definately gonna copy your idea of garlic mashed potatoes!

dp102288
11-22-06, 10:29 PM
25 lb turkey??? That thing must be huge. Ours is a little 12 pounder!

Boombotz
11-22-06, 10:32 PM
7 layered salad. yum.
No deep fried Turkey.

CIWS
11-22-06, 10:37 PM
Pizza with smoked turkey on it and Beer :D

eldorado99
11-23-06, 02:04 AM
You yanks with your late Thanksgiving! Ours was over a month ago! :) It's kind of nice to have a bigger break between Thanksgiving and Christmas turkey dinners. On the other hand we don't have those Black Friday sales either...

BLACK_CTSV
11-23-06, 03:18 AM
It would be rough to celebrate on any other day - 3 football games tomorrow!! Then, 3 more days off :)

dp102288
11-23-06, 08:06 AM
I like how its so close...drinking month!

Murphyg
11-23-06, 06:33 PM
I've started the prep for thanksgiving dinner. Getting the brine ready for the turkey, it'll sit in that until Saturday, when we're doing our thanksgiving.........
... But the turkey brine is ginger, 2 oranges, a lemon, apple cider, and soy sauce with some salt of course. Soak in that for 2-3 days... Pull it from the bag about 20 minutes before cooking. Mmm... it'll be a good turkey. And all the giblets get brined too, they're the basis for the gravy.

Id like some more info on that brine thing your talkin about.
Ive heard of doing it "overnight" with pork, (seein as its so lean now and has no flavor), but have never heard of it for a turkey.

Being 2-3 days im guessing to use a fresh bird and not frozen ? Or is it so long because its a frozen bird ??
And for that length of time is there a specific temp it should be kept at ?
That 2-3 days kinda scares me. Our fridge is only 2 years old but it does get used alot with 5 people in the home. That door is constantly opening and closing.

Also
Any other variations of the brine mixture than what you've already mentioned.
And how much of the ingrediants flavours are actually transfered to the bird ?
Just subtle Im assuming, and probably not noticable to a laymans palate ?

I say it that way because I had cooked for a living for just over 10 years.
And I dont mean fast food.
Im quite adept at picking out subtle hints of flavors in dishes that most dont notice. It really surprises people when I pick out ingrediants that have been used in dishes. Has almost become a parlor trick at family functions.
Have a great palate. Guess thats why all love my cooking. :bighead:

So some more info on the turkey brine would be great. Always lookin for hints to improve and tantalize.

RightTurn
11-23-06, 06:41 PM
Murphy--check this out... http://web.foodnetwork.com/food/web/searchResults?searchType=Recipe&searchString=brining+turkey&site=food&gosearch=Search

Lots of turkey brining info. I like Alton Brown's method ("Good Eats Roast Turkey"). Also check out Cooks Illustrated (Americas Test Kitchen). Brining makes a huge difference in a bird! :alchi:

Murphyg
11-23-06, 07:30 PM
Excellent :thumbsup:
There's some rep points.
Both you and Shadow.

Ill be tryin this for Xmas. :bouncy:
But have to be honest. If it doesnt work Im takin the points back LOL.

Thanx :thumbsup:

ShadowLvr400
11-23-06, 08:49 PM
Murphy, the brine matters. As for 2-3 days, that's to carry the flavors into all the turkey. And yes, the flavors do carry in. As for how subtle the flavors, depends on how you season it. The main purpose of brining is to bring moisture into your meal. However, when you do it with something more than salt water, the flavors sink in. The flavoring is purely subjective. You name it, you can build it as far as flavors go. If you wanter to make a spicy bird, I'd use salt water, alongside some ground red and black peppers, and maybe a few diced jalapeno. If you wanted a hickory barbecue type, mix in a bunch of A-1 Hickory, or just a bit of the liquid hickory smoke product that is out in some stores. I wanted a slightly sweeter bird, which is why the apple cider as my base. But adding a small citrus tang wakes it up.
Fresh or frozen doesn't matter. My bird is frozen.
On to how to hold it, ie, temp to keep it. I've got mine in a big ziploc bag, sitting in a cooler, in my fridge. Allows proper safe defrosting, and a relatively leak proof setup. Because a lot of fluid is in that rig.

Back to flavor, think of brining as a longer termed, less tenderizing focused marinade. 2-3 days is a common length of time for brining, though overnighting it is ok on a non frozen product. Brining helps prevent dry products. The bird last year... was so juicy... But done. Fully done, but SO MOIST! Gravy wasn't even needed for it.

On to the size of the bird... 25 lbs is a big bird. Last year we went 18 lb, and it barely survived the 8 or 9 people we had. This year, I might have 11. My brother's buddy...... Ate both legs last year.

Murphyg
11-23-06, 09:10 PM
Ya baby bring it on !!
Sounds great.
Will be all over it Xmas.

But don't need gravy !!!!
Sacralige I say LOL

Thanx Shadow

ShadowLvr400
11-23-06, 09:31 PM
But don't need gravy !!!!
Sacralige I say LOL

Thanx Shadow

The turkey was that juicy... Normally, a peice of turkey by itself will dry you out a bit. Thats why we smother in gravy. This turkey was so moist....

dp102288
11-24-06, 08:40 AM
My mom made a turkey yesterday that was so damn good, I wiped off the gravy with a napkin. So juicy and moist.

Murphyg
12-23-06, 06:25 PM
Murphy--check this out... http://web.foodnetwork.com/food/web/searchResults?searchType=Recipe&searchString=brining+turkey&site=food&gosearch=Search

Lots of turkey brining info. I like Alton Brown's method ("Good Eats Roast Turkey"). Also check out Cooks Illustrated (Americas Test Kitchen). Brining makes a huge difference in a bird! :alchi:

So Im goin for it.
Thanx very much for the link.

With all the input here, Im sure Its gonna be my best bird yet.
More than enough input to be able to put together what Im sure everyone is gonna love.
Im pattin myself on the back already LOL.

Dont worry. Will be sure to tell where I got the idea from.
Thanx gain all :D

JRau
12-23-06, 07:22 PM
I've started the prep for thanksgiving dinner. Getting the brine ready for the turkey, it'll sit in that until Saturday, when we're doing our thanksgiving. I work turkey day. 3pm-closing shift. Yay restaurants! Hehehe It should be an interesting day... But the turkey brine is ginger, 2 oranges, a lemon, apple cider, and soy sauce with some salt of course. Soak in that for 2-3 days... Pull it from the bag about 20 minutes before cooking. Mmm... it'll be a good turkey. And all the giblets get brined too, they're the basis for the gravy.

The overall menu....
My 25 lb turkey
Giblet gravy
Garlic Mashed potatoes
7 layer salad
Yeast rolls
Roasted butternut squash with a cider reduction
Green Beans Amondine
Pumpkin Pie

I think there's something missing there....

The dressing is missing!! In place of the butternut squash, I like scalloped corn.

How 'bout some oyster stew on Christmas eve, or better yet, Cream of Crab soup made with Maryland backfin crabmeat!!! MMM...good. ALMOST better than sex!!

JRau in central Iowa

RightTurn
12-23-06, 07:36 PM
So Im goin for it.
Thanx very much for the link.

With all the input here, Im sure Its gonna be my best bird yet.
More than enough input to be able to put together what Im sure everyone is gonna love.
Im pattin myself on the back already LOL.

Dont worry. Will be sure to tell where I got the idea from.
Thanx gain all :D

Report back in! I want to know what you think of the brined bird. Happy holidays!

Murphyg
12-26-06, 02:11 PM
Best turkey we have ever had.
Not just the best I have ever made, but the best any of us had ever had !

I was a bit concerned during the end of the cooking time. There wasnt as much juices on the bottom of the pan for basting as is usuall. Just barelly enough to baste once.
But once I cut into it I could see why.
It was absoultally amazing. The slices of breast were just glistening with juice. But the juices wouldnt run off. Generally once you start to cut, the juices run out onto the tray or plate.
Not with this bird.
The juice was in the meat and it stayed in the meat with every slice. Probably could have rung out a slice like a wet dish cloth.

Tender and juicy beyond belief !

I personally thought though that it tasted a slight bit over salted. And slight is probably to harsh a word.
And I do have a sensitive palate. And of course a cook is generally his own worse critic.
Also it was a much smaller bird than Ive ever made.

Next time, And I will definetally do it this way from now on, Will use 1/2 a cup salt less. Or a larger bird.

So Ive now got to send the brine recipe, that I put together from all the others, to my brother in BC. His brother in law wants to try it out. He was quite intrigued when he heard us talking about it.

Yep, Brined bird all the way :thumbsup:

RightTurn
12-27-06, 11:08 AM
Murph--it's amazing isn't it? One question, did you rinse your bird well after brining? If not that may be why it seemed too salty. (Tip on brining; chicken and pork also brine well.)

dp102288
12-27-06, 04:49 PM
^^ I will have to try that with some chicken.

Murphyg, at least you all enjoyed it. Plus now you know exactly what to do next time. :thumbsup:

Murphyg
12-28-06, 07:23 PM
Murph--it's amazing isn't it? One question, did you rinse your bird well after brining? If not that may be why it seemed too salty. (Tip on brining; chicken and pork also brine well.)

Oh ya, did rinse it quite well.

Like i said i looked at a few of the different recipies in the links for brining.
Then took and put together a bit from all to come up with something for my own taste.
Little this little that kinda thing.

The saltyness was so slight it was basicly negligable. Probably not really even worth bringing up.
But I do believe i know where it came from.

One thing I took from one recipe was to use vegetable stock.
But when the time came I didnt have any. Thought I did but didnt.
So I substituded chicken stock.
Didnt dawn on me at the time that chicken stock is much saltier than vegetable.

So Im pretty damned sure thats what I tasted.

But like said it was really quite negligable.
It was really absolutally fabulous.
And yes I do now know how to do it even better next time. :yup:

And the fact that It could even be better !!! WOW

RightTurn
12-28-06, 07:34 PM
Do you ever make your own stock? Don't throw the carcass away!

Murphyg
12-28-06, 08:58 PM
Oh ya soup it up.
Got a favorite family recipe. Not a clear base with noodles, but a tomato base with barley.
Oh Yaaaa.
Not every time though. Didnt this time.
Caught the wife bout to throw it out when cleaning up after dinner. Sure it was a small bird but...... "what are you doing with that."
"no no no no.".
"Well Im Not Going To Pick At It."
"no one asked you to. could you wrap it up please."...."Thankyou".

And when I went at it to get the left overs for sandwiches and hot turkey etc......WOW !!!!
Could tell it would have been optimum for stock.

Is all time and convienience etc....But ya. would have been very nice..Even with such a small bird. If Id known before hand how it was all going to work out, I would have made the provisions/time and set it up to go all out.

Ya !!