: Does anyone work for Cingular?

LittleB
11-21-06, 07:51 PM
If you do PM me please, I have a question! :D

railven
11-21-06, 07:53 PM
My cousin works for T-Mobile. He keeps trying to buy me, I'm a Cingular user, with free promotions and stuff.

xxpinballxx
11-21-06, 09:47 PM
I use cingular and know a great deal about them..since I am a gadget junkie and have like 40 cell phones all of which work by the way and are GSM.
I can try my best to help..my buddy nate works for them so I got an inside.

LittleB
11-21-06, 10:43 PM
See that's what I need...an inside, although I might finally have my answer. It's been a long wait for the BlackBerry Pearl 8100C from Cingular...and a rumor was going around that it would be out today. It's not, but supposedly has been shipped out. Anyways the 800# has been denying that they will even ever have this phone so they are just retarted, but the stores all tell me a different story every time I call. I know that they probably just don't want to give the wrong information, or the wrong date and then have angry customers if for some reason it doesn't come out on that date. Well finally someone at a store said November 24th would be the day. I just want a confirmation and I didn't mind it was PMed to me. I know it's "secret" info but for my sanity I was hoping someone might be able to help out. I am going crazy, I want this phone so bad.

Boombotz
11-21-06, 11:39 PM
B, I have the 8700C blackberry through Cingular and love it. Almost the same as that phone but I have a full keyboard.

LittleB
11-21-06, 11:48 PM
Yeah this will be my first blackberry and I can't wait. The other ones are too big for me...and I've played with them and they are alright but MANNNNN this new one is just BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CadillacSTS42005
11-22-06, 12:34 AM
oy vey...
gurls and their phones....
i used to play hacky sack with mine

Wiseguy2
11-22-06, 07:18 AM
Try www.howardforums.com Those guys will know.

codewize
11-22-06, 07:48 AM
Why would you want a Blackberry when there are so many Windows Mobile phones out. Blackberry is old hat B. Windows Mobile is so much more powerful and universal than Blackberry. PalmOS is nice too but I prefer Windows Mobil

LittleB
11-22-06, 09:40 AM
Thanks Wiseguy but I've checked out that site LOL no one really knows what the date is.

Codewize, it's not necisarilly the blackberry name I want, it's just the design of this particular phone. It's the perfect size for me. The other ones seem big and bulky. I just like it. I love phones and I am always checking out the new ones....this is the only one I like right now.

railven
11-22-06, 09:58 AM
My other cousin owns a Pearl and after playing with it I wasn't impressed.

Then again as a tech-junkie I fail to utilize devices such as PDA's to their full extent. I'm a pen and paper guy it seems.

And E-Mail...no one E-Mails me but various SPAM-bots so I'm cool on that. Only real feature that new cell phones have brought that tickle my fancy are bluetooth, transfering files the 21th century way, and 3D applications, some of those games are AWESOME!!!

Good luck on the Pearl B. I don't like the ball on it nor do I like the ball on the Sidekick 3 but thats just me.

xxpinballxx
11-22-06, 10:02 AM
B i put a call into Nate to call me with the answer. Hes pretty up on his company and whats coming. Like when I got the 8125 he told me they were making a 8525 and it would be out in october. Sure enough I went home and found nothing on the 8525 but in october there it was. He should know. I thought about the pearl its a pretty amazing phone even for a blackberry. I never owned one and said I wouldn't due to their trying to monopolize some functions but this might sway me. Always been a palm and windows 5 type of guy. I'll send you a PM soon as I get his call.

are you buying out right or a phone upgrade?

xxpinballxx
11-22-06, 10:15 AM
SMT-5600 is a small phone and windows based. Cingular 2125 are both pretty similar in size and cheap now.
that is if you are wanting a PDA/phone.
Treo 650 is the best by fat though for overall use and function and softare and stability. I'm sure I'll get an arguement there but I know cellphones.
The treo 650 is now the best OVERALL phone...value, use, reliability and a slew of other reasons.

railven
11-22-06, 10:19 AM
I just bought a new phone. My old one the Motorola V510 [or was it 560?] was very dependable and still works fine. I was very impressed with that phone and was hoping to get another Motorola but their new line up is rather...trendy. I'm anti-trendy. I wanted a RAZR when it first came out, because it had a ATI Imageon processor [yeah I'm an ATI fanboy, new nVidia line up is whooping my team's ass AGAIN!] but now everyone and their mother has one...in fact my mother has the pink one! I just saw the ad for the red RAZR, red is my favorite color, so I was so tempted but I already got my new phone.

I picked up a Sony Ericsson 810i. So far the phone does everything I want a phone to do, plays music, bluetooth to transfer pictures/video taken on the 2MP camera, plays more 3D games them my old Motorola, and it even has a voice recoder that records more then like 10seconds! That is just insane!!!

No complaints yet, just wish it was a flip phone my screen is getting dinged up.

xxpinballxx
11-22-06, 10:25 AM
The w810i is nice...I like Sony Ericsson for their phones. I had the t610 for quite a while and would often switch back to it after buying new phones...candybar style seems to get better reception than clams cause the antenna can stay more immobile and longer. I am a avid believe of using a device to its fullest extent.

railven
11-22-06, 10:30 AM
I got A-ADD. If it doesn't light a lightbulb over my head chances are I won't use the feature.

So I'm looking at my phone and I see the IR on the top and wonder "why can't they implement a simple program so I can control my TV with this damn thing." That be sweet! It would be like my shitty old Casio watch that only supported like 100 televeisions, 99 of which were Casio products, to change the channels and adjust the volume.

I like how I can use the included USB cable and use it as a modem without having to pay a seperate fee to Cingular. Not that I'd use it but nice to know its there in case you know I'm in an area without wifi or hard lines and I need, just need, to check my mail or something. Haha.

xxpinballxx
11-22-06, 10:36 AM
my treo does with Novi-remote. I also have it where it can control other tv's. You ever see the tv-b-gone? Its like that...just scans for the IR signal then can turn it off and stuff. Always fun at a bar!

railven
11-22-06, 10:43 AM
Thats awesome. I wish cell phones had more user created content. Since they all know use external memory it be fun to just pop a program on it and have the phones CPU run it.

I guess that be asking for too much I should be happy I can put my own wallpapers and ringtones at this point. Haha.

Well time for me to go to Best Buy and return Gears of War.

NOTE: I am so broke!!! Haha, spending money I don't have is awesome. Damn cash is tied up with the mortgage, I need to remember that 'pay the mortgage then buy toys!" Haha.

xxpinballxx
11-22-06, 10:52 AM
tell you man you want a user created phone get a treo 650. Cheap right now I can even sell you one for like 745 bucks used. There are over 30 thousand apps for them...most of which are user created and freeware or minimal charges.

LittleB
11-22-06, 10:59 AM
Thanks Pinball for checking in to that, I can't WAIT to see what he says although I am pretty sure it's coming out Friday.

My man just got a Treo 650...I don't really like it. I don't like the size, design, or functionality. I dunno lol I guess I am different but the only phone I find attractive right now out of the smartphones/PDA's is the Blackberry Pearl. I can't wait!

xxpinballxx
11-22-06, 11:03 AM
It is a nice phone....like i said i might pick one up just for sh*ts and giggles.

RobertCTS
11-22-06, 01:06 PM
I have a Cingular cell and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Does that count?:confused:

xxpinballxx
11-22-06, 01:20 PM
LOL! HAHAHAHAHA! Love that! Absolutely classic!
Damn i am actually laughing out loud! LOL! I gotta use that....usually think those commercials are stupid but would be perfect it an event ever happened in my life where I could say that. Hilarious!

codewize
11-22-06, 03:21 PM
So it was a matter of buying the pink Pinto rather than the black CTS because it was pretty? I see you ended up with the black CTS :)

Thanks Wiseguy but I've checked out that site LOL no one really knows what the date is.

Codewize, it's not necisarilly the blackberry name I want, it's just the design of this particular phone. It's the perfect size for me. The other ones seem big and bulky. I just like it. I love phones and I am always checking out the new ones....this is the only one I like right now.

codewize
11-22-06, 03:24 PM
God I hate to keep doing this. Where do you live for god sakes. The 650 is 2 years old and plagued with software problems. Why didn't he go for the 700?

I'm surprised anyone even carries the 650 anymore. We love you B but damn girl.

Thanks Pinball for checking in to that, I can't WAIT to see what he says although I am pretty sure it's coming out Friday.

My man just got a Treo 650...I don't really like it. I don't like the size, design, or functionality. I dunno lol I guess I am different but the only phone I find attractive right now out of the smartphones/PDA's is the Blackberry Pearl. I can't wait!

Rey Rey 650
11-22-06, 04:02 PM
tell you man you want a user created phone get a treo 650. Cheap right now I can even sell you one for like 745 bucks used. There are over 30 thousand apps for them...most of which are user created and freeware or minimal charges.

I have a treo 650 and havent done nothing to it....I dont even have games....Pin, is there a site or some info you can hook me up with about this phone...Ive had it for like 7 months

EDBSO
11-22-06, 06:06 PM
LittleB; I can get you a job at Cingular so you can get free air time and deep product discounts.

We use a simple language test. The successful candidate has 2 minutes to make a sentence with the following 3 words. "pink, yellow and green". Here is the sentence most of our successful applicants use this sentence, "The telephone goes green, green, green, I pink it up and say yellow Mujibar here how may I help you?

LittleB simply repeat this sentence and you have a Cingular job and all the associated discounts including free crackberries.

I often wonder the same thing ... "Does anyone work for Cingular?"

LittleB
11-22-06, 06:31 PM
God I hate to keep doing this. Where do you live for god sakes. The 650 is 2 years old and plagued with software problems. Why didn't he go for the 700?

I'm surprised anyone even carries the 650 anymore. We love you B but damn girl.

He didn't want to wait for the 700...it doesn't matter anyway it's not like he uses the special functions it has. I hate is though, I have messed with it and I think it sucks. I just like the Blackberry...sorry if that dissapoints you...

LittleB
11-22-06, 06:32 PM
LittleB; I can get you a job at Cingular so you can get free air time and deep product discounts.

We use a simple language test. The successful candidate has 2 minutes to make a sentence with the following 3 words. "pink, yellow and green". Here is the sentence most of our successful applicants use this sentence, "The telephone goes green, green, green, I pink it up and say yellow Mujibar here how may I help you?

LittleB simply repeat this sentence and you have a Cingular job and all the associated discounts including free crackberries.

I often wonder the same thing ... "Does anyone work for Cingular?"

HAHAHHAHAHA good one!

xxpinballxx
11-22-06, 08:13 PM
rey rey go to www.mytreo.net you'll learn everythng you wanted and more. THere are no problems with the 650 except the volume levels which an owner made a program to boost all levels.
Code not sure whats your problem with them.....

codewize
11-22-06, 08:21 PM
B it doesn't disappoint me. I'm just looking out for people that get caught up in the hoopla. The Treo is a great device. I want one bad but am trying to decide weather to switch to Verizon or not. That's not to start a provider war. I have many reasons for the debate.

The 650 is known to have sync issues and some other problems with email retrieval. They claim it's a software problem but have no intention of fixing it. The 700's don't suffer from that problem. I personally think the 650 was a test bed and the 700 is the final release, if you will.

No worries, it's all good. I started the day in a bad mood and I guess it's coming out. Sorry. Whatever makes you happy.

rey rey go to www.mytreo.net (http://www.mytreo.net) you'll learn everythng you wanted and more. THere are no problems with the 650 except the volume levels which an owner made a program to boost all levels.
Code not sure whats your problem with them.....

dp102288
11-22-06, 11:02 PM
Mmmmm..."Hell phone" thread...

I had a Treo 650, modded the hell out of it, but got sick of the size. it was a great device though, but the data $$ sucked. Too expensive. :(

Wiseguy2
11-23-06, 01:50 AM
Isn't the Treo 700 exclusive to Verizon still? I swear by all that is holy that I will NEVER do business with VZW again, they can burn in hell.

And if HowardForums doesn't know... then I will ask my friend who works at Cingular running a store for em.

xxpinballxx
11-23-06, 01:57 AM
depends which 700 you speak of. theres a 700P 700W & 700wx and 700v

gary88
11-23-06, 02:01 AM
I can say all my phones have been really good. My first phone was 5 years ago, a Motorola I30SX with Nextel. I could get service ANYWHERE, and that phone was indestructible. It was the most basic phone you could get, no color screen, no applications or anything, basically just made phone calls.

Next I had a Nokia 3595. This was a huge step up from the I30SX for me; this bad boy had a color screen, text messaging, and Nokia bowling. I had also switched over to Cingular now. I put that phone through hell and back, and it still worked perfectly. 3 days before my contract expired I dropped it and the antenna finally fell out and that was the end of that.

In August of '05 the Motorola RAZR V3 dropped in price to $200, so I decided to pick one up. It was really neat being one of the 10 or so people in my town who had one at the time, but about 3 months later everyone and thier grandma got thier hands on one. It was a pretty great phone, except there was a bit of lag between when you pressed a menu key and when the screen loaded. The VGA camera was absolute crap, and I got my phone before Cingular got video capabilities. Lots of good memories with that phone.

Around a month ago I got tired of the V3, and looked around for something new. I did a lot of research, and discovered the Motorola V3x. Only avaliable in Europe, but one of the nicest phones I've ever seen. I bought one on ebay for $230, and it's worth every penny. It has 2 cameras, one on the outside like normal (2.0mp), and one on the inside for self-portraits/video calls (VGA). It also has the nicest screen of any phone I have ever seen. It's made by Sharp, so you know it's good. I compared it to my V3, and it's like a night and day difference. Another thing I love about it is the voice calling. On most phones you have to pre-record a name for an entry, but this phone has a voice recognition system, so all I have to do is say the name like it's stored in the phonebook and the phone automatically recognizes it. I love this phone :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/gheb88/DSC06786.jpg?t=1164267978

xxpinballxx
11-23-06, 02:02 AM
the 650 is so simple to make a custom ROM for it and the apps out there are amazing ad very healpful. Theres an app for everything you need.

dp102288
11-23-06, 08:03 AM
^^ Yeah, did that.

The great thing about the Palm OS is there is a shit load of apps and games for it. I was never bored with my 650!

railven
11-23-06, 03:47 PM
Being a tech guy totally sucks!

How many of you tech junkies have found yourself fumbling through your pocket, book pack, laptop bag, brief case, whatever looking for the gadget you need?

My bag of goodies is outdated I need to sort through this thing badly! I just pulled out a freaking Gameboy Color..>WHAT THE HELL? HAHA. [off topic but figured some of the tech guys would understand me.]

My 810i is proving to be very useful. I got footage of a skater eating pavement. I just need to upload the videos somewhere so I can share them.

xxpinballxx
11-23-06, 05:02 PM
I like that phone...the looks of it and the functions....
I got the chocolate which is an okay phone more functionality as a phone geared towards an MP3 player. I think some companies try to make a phone into something else and do not focus on the root of the device.

railven
11-23-06, 05:25 PM
I couldn't agree with you so much on that Pinball.

I still stand by my original statement about the Chocolate "mofo's copied the IPOD design. If i wanted an IPOD I'd buy an IPOD!"

xxpinballxx
11-23-06, 05:49 PM
I agree its a copy.....of the ipod however is a phone too. The designing of it I think is smart since the ipod is such a hit. imitation is the greatest from of flattery.

railven
11-23-06, 06:14 PM
I've been anti-IPOD since the day my friend first got his and he was like "I can hook it up to my mac and it will auto-update my music list for me."

I know a lot of people are huge on user-friendly but just because one product is super easy to use they start to think it is the only device that can do it.

As I said earlier my 2yr old iRiver can do everything a IPOD Video can do, except a few small things and it does thing the IPOD can't do, but you got Bono selling IPODs and now there everywhere haha.

I stil laugh when I see the iFan at Walgreens, now that is some flattery I'm sure Apple can do without.

HITMONEY
11-23-06, 07:28 PM
I use Phone Scoop for phone info, release dates and whatnot...

http://www.phonescoop.com/

HITMONEY
11-23-06, 07:36 PM
Here ya go B.. you might like this.....

http://www.blackberrypearl.com/?CPID=KNC-bbp_Camera_Phone&HBX_PK=camera+cell+phone&HBX_OU=50

codewize
11-23-06, 08:13 PM
The iPod will soon be dead too. With all the MS stuff coming to light and all the bad proprietary media on Apple I think the whole world will go MS or some other universal MP3 player.

Apple is trying to play the same game they did 20 years ago and the same game that put IBM in a bad place.

You can't have a 'closed' system in this day and age. People like versatility and choices.

railven
11-23-06, 08:38 PM
What do you mean by "closed" system?

Giving PC users the ability to use the IPOD is probably the best decision Apple could have ever made, not like they had a choice.

I've personally haven't heard any complaints from my, it seriously feels like billions, IPOD friends. I'm still like one of the few that doesn't own one and I'm starting to sway to due to lack of accessories for anything non-IPOD.

dp102288
11-24-06, 08:34 AM
The Chocolate jsut came out in Cherry Red, and Mint Green, in addition to the White and Black it was in.

Its ass ugly! :histeric:

codewize
11-24-06, 03:05 PM
Apparently if you download music for your iPod using iTunes you can't play those files on anything but an iPod. Apple is using a proprietary encoding.

I've heard a bit of discussion about this which is why I tested the theory and sure enough if you have music from iTunes it's pretty much useless unless you have an iPod, which is BS since you pay for the music.

What do you mean by "closed" system?

xxpinballxx
11-28-06, 11:25 AM
here ya go little B.....
http://www.spiritflex.com/bbpearl.jpg

railven
11-28-06, 11:32 AM
Apparently if you download music for your iPod using iTunes you can't play those files on anything but an iPod. Apple is using a proprietary encoding.

I've heard a bit of discussion about this which is why I tested the theory and sure enough if you have music from iTunes it's pretty much useless unless you have an iPod, which is BS since you pay for the music.

Sorry Codewise I didn't mean to leave you hanging but I couldn't find this post before but thankfully Pinball bumped it, haha.

I don't understand by not being able to play it else where. I don't buy music off the net so I don't have much experience with it, but if I where to say buy a CD off Itunes what else would I want to use it with? Itunes is only compatible with the IPOD.

I don't understand why you'd own an IPOD, buy music off iTunes for your IPOD, but then not use your IPOD or iTunes to listen to your music?

I can understand Apple doing this as an anti-piracy move but still don't find it as a closed system.

LittleB
11-28-06, 11:50 AM
here ya go little B.....
http://www.spiritflex.com/bbpearl.jpg

Yeah I know...saw it first thing this morning. Too bad I STILL can't get my hands on one. I hope it's coming soon for us regulars!

codewize
11-28-06, 09:46 PM
Lets say I had another MP3 player or better yet lets say I wanted to use another piece of software to burn my CD's for some reason. Or another piece of software like Media player or anything else for that matter just to listen to music for some reason. I can't and I think that if I pay for the song I should be able to listen to it anyway I like and I can't.

I just think an MP3 should be a standard MP3 and I think if I purchase a song in any format I don't think I should be limited to only one way to listen to it.

If you go to a music store and buy a CD do they tell you that you can only play it on a CD player that comes from their store? No they don't. Same thing.

Sorry Codewise I didn't mean to leave you hanging but I couldn't find this post before but thankfully Pinball bumped it, haha.

I don't understand by not being able to play it else where. I don't buy music off the net so I don't have much experience with it, but if I where to say buy a CD off Itunes what else would I want to use it with? Itunes is only compatible with the IPOD.

I don't understand why you'd own an IPOD, buy music off iTunes for your IPOD, but then not use your IPOD or iTunes to listen to your music?

I can understand Apple doing this as an anti-piracy move but still don't find it as a closed system.

railven
11-29-06, 11:00 AM
I understand that arguement but maybe I'm wrong on this but aren't iTunes in AC3? That is a codec that is owned by Apple. It is almost the same as *.mov extensions. Or *.rm extensions. Sure you can find seperate programs to run them on but they are usually third party.

I know of some software that places AC3.

But iTunes isn't compatible with any other mp3 player so you'd use it at the moment with your IPOD.

There are ways around these barriers and Apple is probably just doing it to protect their content. It is a hard hand we, the consumer, have to play against but it is due to the majority of our peers pirating just about everything they can.

I haven't read the ToS or EULA for iTunes but I doubt Apple can press charges if you use a third party program to manage your library, which includes burning and listening it.

Oh and there are some great articles I've read about digital posession. I'll have to dig it up for you. From what I've gathered some digital content isn't yours to own, as you can't transfer ownership without transfering the root program. The price you pay is usually to lease it. I read about it when Vivendi sued Valve for the Half Life 2 distribution rights. If you bought HL2, or any of the Valve games over Steam, you can't burn a CD of it and sell it. Valve still owns the game you just pay the right to play it on your machine. While Vivendi was selling the physical disc so you'd have the right to sell it. But because you'd have to register the game through Steam to play it this crippled the ability to resell the game. So I never read the solution but I know when I let my friend borrow HL2 he needed my Steam info to play the game. I know if you share your music on iTunes with friends, according to one of my friends, after a period of time it will prompt you for the original owner's login info I guess because your "borrowed" time expired and they need verification that you are the owner.

I buy all my CDs and rip them because I don't want any hassle with DRMs or synching problems. But I know tons of friends who haven't been to a record store since they got their IPODs.

xxpinballxx
11-29-06, 11:07 AM
okahy Ihavent read the entire posts here so I might need a summary...whats the deal with iPod and their proprietary mentality? WHo wouldn't want their stuff protected? There are many AC3 conversion methods 3rd party apps the easiest.
whats the debate? sorry time restraints keep me from reading all this. I'll shut up now!

railven
11-29-06, 11:10 AM
okahy Ihavent read the entire posts here so I might need a summary...whats the deal with iPod and their proprietary mentality? WHo wouldn't want their stuff protected? There are many AC3 conversion methods 3rd party apps the easiest.
whats the debate? sorry time restraints keep me from reading all this. I'll shut up now!

You pretty much covered it. Apple is probably selling you the "it works best with our product" BS making consumers think they can only use iTunes content on Apple products.

As you said, there are apps and third party stuff to work around that. [Even DRM encryption but shhhh you didn't hear that from me.]

dp102288
11-30-06, 11:37 AM
^^ No we jsut heard it from railven. :D

That's why I prefer to MP3 all my songs. I hate haveing to worry about drm and usage limits...its my damn songs!