: 95 eldorado oil questions

microsoul
03-03-04, 03:53 PM
I have a 1995 eldorado with 4.6l northstar engine and it has about 102,000 miles on it. I change the oil every 2000 to 2500 miles every oil change which is about 2 to 3 months the filter is also replaced and it takes about 7.5 quarts of oil to fill. By the time the next oil change is due it has used about 2 to 3 quarts of oil is this normal? I asked the cadillac garage and they say I need to replace the piston rings and run a decarbination kit through it and the cost would be about $300 to $400 dollars. They also said that it was fairly common for this to happen in this engine/car. Is this right is it a common thing, does this sould like the right thing to do?

Thanks in advance

Ryan

BeelzeBob
03-03-04, 04:06 PM
Ryan, briefly, what you describe is perfectly normal for an average Northstar engine. There is a LOT of info posted on this subject in the past. Go to the search feature in the toolbar above, type in "oil consumption" and read the posts by bbobynski among others.... most all of your questions will be anwered somewhere in those posts. Look at the one called "...pushing the Northstar...." for bbob's posts near the end of the thread and the other threads on oil consumption.

microsoul
03-04-04, 09:54 AM
thanks for the help this site is great