: Source of whining noise

Richsap
11-20-06, 09:05 AM
My 1995 Concours with the N* makes a very noticeable whining noise when in motion. The noise seems to vary with speed, but oddly goes away when there is little load on the front wheels (i.e. you hit a bump and the weight is temporarily lifted from the front end). I've checked the transmission fluid (and had to add about two quarts) and added some tranny conditioner to it just in case. I'm hoping I didn't over fill the transmission, although I have to wonder. Even though it appears to be at the correct level according to the dipstick, the problem was not there, or at least wasn't as noticeable, before I did this. Seems to me the more I try to take care of this car the worse it gets! :thepan:

Since I'm here already, I have yet another question. In crawling under the car and lubing it, I found what appears to be a power steering fluid filter in the line. I've never seen a power steering fluid filter before. It has the appearance of a fuel filter, but I can't read anything on it as it appears to be OEM and pretty much hard coated in either grime or undercoating.

The power steering fluid level was a little low as well, so I added to this. I don't think this is a power steering whine, as it does not vary with steering wheel position at all. Just odd that it varyies with road speed and load.

Ranger
11-20-06, 04:18 PM
Be sure you check the trans fluid with the engine at idle and the trans hot.

Whine sounds like it may be a wheel bearing. Do a series of "S" turns like a Nascar driver warming his tires. Does the noise come and go? A bad wheel bearing will get noisy when loaded and quiet down when unloaded.

dkozloski
11-25-06, 06:18 PM
I've had more strange intermittant noises from tires than any other source. The first thing I'd do is get a good tire gauge and set the pressures to the value on the door sticker and see what happens. Next I'd rotate the tires and see if the noise moves.

dp102288
11-26-06, 08:31 AM
How many miles does you 95 Deville Concours have?

I am thinking its time to replace the struts or that thing at 100K (which ever it is).