: need help with p036 and p094

deuel1992
11-19-06, 06:51 PM
i currently own a 94 seville with the 4.6 i have recieved the codes p036 and p094 i am installing new shift valves when they come in. the problem i was having is after about a mile of driving i would lose OD then 3rd less than a second later. is there anyway to bench test the egr vale while i have it off cleaning it? does anyone think that the shift valve will cure my problem? thanks to every one with post in these areas for they have helped me greatly

Ranger
11-19-06, 07:00 PM
Not sure if there is a way to bench test the EGR or not, but I'd just clean it per the instructions in the Tech Tips section.

By shift "valve" I assume you mean shift solenoid? Yes, replacing them should solve your problem.

deuel1992
11-19-06, 10:00 PM
thanks for your help, i clean it once and still received a p036, i will try to clean it again. do you know how far down you should be able to push the egr valve? mine only moves about 1/16 or 1/8

Ranger
11-19-06, 10:06 PM
I can't recall ,but I am pretty sure it is much more than that. Put it upside down on a bench and put a punch on the pintle. Then tap it with a hammer lightly. It may be carboned up and that should break it loose. Be sure that it moves freely after cleaning with no sticking at either end of the travel and DO NOT hold it upside down during cleaning. If solvent gets into the "can" it can destry the insulation on the windings.

deuel1992
11-19-06, 10:10 PM
thank you, i will try that

chevelle
11-20-06, 01:13 AM
If you can look into the passage in the base of the EGR valve and it is clean and free of carbon and the plunger moves freely then the EGR valve is likely fine. I would not recommend tapping it with a hammer as the pintle is actuated by an electronic controller and that can be damage with sharp impacts.

If the EGR valve is clean and the EGR code keeps coming back on a 93/94 Northstar then it is very likely that the EGR passages in the phenolic spacer plates between the intake manifold and the cylinder heads are clogged with carbon and will need cleaning. Remove the 4 inner/recessed bolts in the intake manifold top cover and lift the complete intake manifold up slightly. Remove the phenolic spacer plates that are between the intake manifold and the cylinder head and clean out the passages. Don't forget the small "mouse holes" in the cylinder head itself. With the plates off you can see two small notches machined into the intake ports of each cylinder. They are also probably full of carbon and will need cleaning out.

The 93 and 94 Northstars were the only years that had the phenolic spacer plates with the EGR distribution and delivery system built into them....so they are often overlooked. The 95 and later Northstars (single piece plastic intake manifold) have the EGR delivery into the intake manifold near the throttle body via a convoluted metal tube and they do not have the phenolic spacer plates.

Ranger
11-20-06, 04:53 PM
Ah, "mouse holes". I keep forgetting about those rascals.