: MAF cleaning: yes or no

Resilient
11-19-06, 04:25 PM
MAF cleaning: yes or no

We discussed this in several other threads, I just wanted to know... is it something worth doing... MAF cleaning: yes or no?

Several web articles say it should be done on a regular basis... others just say wait till the MAF dioes, then replace...

Since this is something I can do at very little cost, compared to replacing the unit... Just looking for a more direct answer.

MAF cleaning: worth it: yes or no

guardian
11-19-06, 05:33 PM
MAF cleaning: yes or no

We discussed this in several other threads, I just wanted to know... is it something worth doing... MAF cleaning: yes or no?

Several web articles say it should be done on a regular basis... others just say wait till the MAF dioes, then replace...

Since this is something I can do at very little cost, compared to replacing the unit... Just looking for a more direct answer.

MAF cleaning: worth it: yes or no

Done carefully, cleaning the MAF should do no harm. It is not an expensive operation.

But sadly, MAF cleaning is not likely to help.

The MAF is a hot wire situation. Right or wrong, in my mind's eye I have always seen wearout coming as a result of contaminent impingement upon that wire, with unwanted changes occuring at a molecular level. This because the wire is heated. Of course it takes a LOT of time for things to go south. But when they do, simple cleaning with say, a solvent, is hard pressed to put everything right.

Could be full of prunes on that last part. But that's how I will envision it until better information comes my way.

Resilient
11-20-06, 03:55 PM
Came across this article from CRC Industries ..

http://www.crcindustries.com/files/19965_1.PDF

Yes their article mentions to use their CRC MAF Sensor cleaner... but the rest sounded accurate.

http://www.crc-canada.ca/Default.aspx?tabid=235

2001sport
11-23-06, 01:40 AM
To expand on guardian's response, the answer could possibly depend on whether or not you're cleaning for prophylaxis or to cure an already failed MAF. Based on my personal experience and that from others on this forum, it does not seem that cleaning the MAF once it has failed will do much of any good, or at least not for very long. Cleaning for preventive maintenenace could be another story, but in order to really determine that, you'd need to find someone who has actually done so and see how long their MAF lasted vs. one from someone who never cleaned it, assuming similar driving conditions.

Mine lasted about 50k. The first time the CEL came on, I had my mechanic take care of it, and he changed the fuel filter and supposedly cleaned the MAF. Not sure what did the trick, but the CEL went away, briefly. After another thousand miles or so, the CEL came back on and my cleaning the MAF did no good (it was already very clean on visual inspection anyway), so I replaced it and things have been fine since. For what it's worth, my bad MAF exhibited no obvious symptoms, e.g. sputtering, starting problems, stalling, etc.

Resilient
11-24-06, 09:06 AM
I was asking for Cleaning for preventive maintenenace... I have some sputtering or rough idling, on occasion... most of it has gone after my regular recharge of my K&N filter... and I do have a new gas filter ready to install (just haven't had time).

I have no issues with CEL coming on.

Question was really more in regards to preventative maintenance (since I have over 153 000km on my Cat).... and I am going to be replacing my tensioner and serpentine belt soon, figured I might clean the MAF while in there.