: Cure for the common cold

Jesda
11-19-06, 11:44 AM
No, there isn't a cure, but some people have creative home remedies to alleviate the symptoms, just wondering if you guys had any?

I spent all day Friday in a cold upper floor of a windy parking garage helping my brother replace the alternator in his Infiniti G20 -- WHAT A NIGHTMARE! Its like they built the whole god damned car around the alt. And now we're sick.

Anyway, just doing the Robitussin at the moment. Other other ideas?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-19-06, 11:55 AM
Sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

CIWS
11-19-06, 12:03 PM
Drink plenty of fluids, eat some chicken soup, get plenty of rest, and take two asprin and call me in the morning. :D

CadillacGurl
11-19-06, 12:44 PM
Sudafed (sp?) and staying on a deserted island for 6 months :D

railven
11-19-06, 12:48 PM
Well from what I've been reading at work if you want any medicine with the drug, forgot its name but its the best drug man has ever made to fight off any clogging of the nasal and sinus areas, you're going to have to fill out a form and give proper ID.

I asked at the Walgreens for more info. Its a Law passed to prevent drug dealers from buying the OTC medicines with this drug that they can use to make SPEED. So instead they now sell a substitute that isn't as potent or helpful as the original drug.

At the moment all these drugs name escape my mind. Sorry, It's Sunday my brain is off.

slk230mb
11-19-06, 01:16 PM
Well from what I've been reading at work if you want any medicine with the drug, forgot its name but its the best drug man has ever made to fight off any clogging of the nasal and sinus areas, you're going to have to fill out a form and give proper ID.

I asked at the Walgreens for more info. Its a Law passed to prevent drug dealers from buying the OTC medicines with this drug that they can use to make SPEED. So instead they now sell a substitute that isn't as potent or helpful as the original drug.

At the moment all these drugs name escape my mind. Sorry, It's Sunday my brain is off.

It's the stuff with sudoephedrin (sp?). And the law is the Patriot Act. I'm battling a cold right now. I'm keeping up on the Vitamin C, taking the 12 hour sudafed for sinus relief, and my daily allegra. Seems to be doing the job.

Boombotz
11-19-06, 01:23 PM
You can still get it here at Walgreen's. they keep it behind the counter and you can only buy limited quantities. Oh and on the street it is one of the ingredients to make Crystal meth. Big problem here in Florida. They are cracking down on Meth Labs here.

xxpinballxx
11-19-06, 01:43 PM
I like to engage in as much sexual activity as possible...seems to drain me and all the illness....I know this sounds a bit Florian-esque but I am totally serious.
My wife even jokes about it when Istart coughing or getting the snifles...she'll say are ya sick? am I getting lucky tonight?
Sounds funny but I swear it works!

codewize
11-19-06, 03:33 PM
Cayenne pepper, Anything with cayenne in it will solve all medical problems. Eat Tabasco on a regular basis and tell me when he next time you get sick is. Sex will only clear sinuses it will not kill the cold.

Remember I said this.

Florian
11-19-06, 07:31 PM
Cayenne pepper, Anything with cayenne in it will solve all medical problems. Eat Tabasco on a regular basis and tell me when he next time you get sick is. Sex will only clear sinuses it will not kill the cold.

Remember I said this.

Its not the cayenne, its the pepper base called capsaicin (the stuff that makes pepper hot) which keeps your sinuses and other mucosa at bay. Capsaicin tends to loosen the phlegm (yum!!! :thumbsup: ) and keep your immunity up as a result of less evil shite in your mucus. To address Pinballs point, blowing a load or two wont help much, but it will release the pleasure endorphins that makes it seem as if all is right with the world...just make sure there is someone there to enjoy your bounty....

F

dp102288
11-19-06, 08:39 PM
"bloowing your load" Sounds like an animal! :rofl:

What I do is load up on vitamin c AND zinc. Sleep and soup are great, plus it gives me an excuse to be here and watch tv without doing any real work.

codewize
11-19-06, 09:01 PM
Correct but this elemental oil is readily found in cayenne. Most people cant eat habaneros.

Its not the cayenne, its the pepper base called capsaicin (the stuff that makes pepper hot) which keeps your sinuses and other mucosa at bay.

This will actually wear down your immune system but will clear your sinuses.

blowing a load or two wont help much, but it will release the pleasure endorphins that makes it seem as if all is right with the world...just make sure there is someone there to enjoy your bounty....

F

Jesda
11-19-06, 09:13 PM
If being cool was a virus, this would be the cure:
http://www.edmunds.com/media/seo/500/2006.porsche.cayenne.jpg

dp102288
11-20-06, 09:20 AM
^^ Why?? Is it hot? I can't tell. :confused:

Rolex
11-20-06, 10:46 AM
I use Echanicea taken as directed (usually 3 tablets taken 3 times a day for a total of 9 tabs a day) and Vitamin C 1000 mg taken 3 times a day. Both remedies are thought to boost the bodies immune system and lessen the severity of the cold's symptoms, and perhaps get rid of the cold faster. If your throat is sore try Zinc lozenges or good old Halls lozenges.

Of course none of the herbal remedies are supported by the FDA. IMO it helps. YMMV

ETA: I also symptomatically treat my runny nose with some kind of over the counter decongestant. DayQuil, Advil Cold and sinus, whatever.