: Air Filter?

Djacobs64
11-18-06, 11:48 PM
I pulled out what I think is the air filter for my 2004 SRX today. It was located at the front right of the engine compartment and I had to unscrew 2 screws to get to it. The filter is an odd shaped design and the material of it looks like an air cabin filter for my BMW. Is this indeed the air filter for the engine?

c5 rv
11-19-06, 04:45 AM
The air filter is located on the left front (driver's) side of the car. Yes, it is a strange design with a 50,000 mile replacement schedule. Like most everything else under the hood, it is intended for dealer servicing rather than DIY.

cfishkin
11-27-06, 09:49 PM
It's certainly not like the air filters of old, but replacement is described in the owners manual along with the cabin filter.

Infrared in Idaho
11-28-06, 12:56 AM
Has anyone heard of K&N or similiar companies making an Air Filter for the SRX?

CaddyinKC
11-28-06, 06:27 AM
Has anyone heard of K&N or similiar companies making an Air Filter for the SRX?

III

I have been looking and not found one yet. Let me know if you ever find one.

robhersch
11-28-06, 03:02 PM
Try K&N or Volant Cold Air Intakes; they use washable cone filters that fit their intake systems.

racingf1
12-16-06, 03:46 PM
Go to K&N site and fill in short form requesting they contact you by email when one comes available. if they get enough requests, well I hope they will make us one.

Smokin' SRX
12-24-06, 01:23 PM
Go to K&N site and fill in short form requesting they contact you by email when one comes available. if they get enough requests, well I hope they will make us one.

Been asking K&N since 2004!! Nothing yet. keep trying .I have them on other GM's and see the difference in performance....for $45!!:yup:

Change , or greatly clean, your OE filter at 30K miles (unless mostly highway) for better performance and mileage. Not that hard to do!. Volant is Good, but major re-fit and noisy on acceleration! (open air-box is reason!)

syrob@MSN.COM
12-26-06, 12:41 PM
Been asking K&N since 2004!! Nothing yet. keep trying .I have them on other GM's and see the difference in performance....for $45!!:yup:

Change , or greatly clean, your OE filter at 30K miles (unless mostly highway) for better performance and mileage. Not that hard to do!. Volant is Good, but major re-fit and noisy on acceleration! (open air-box is reason!)

I think every 10K is really needed. The air filter for the V8 is WAY too small, not enough surface area. Mine shows noticeable documented performance hits (high tech accelerometer) if 10k or older. IT IS JUST TOO SMALL A SURFACE AREA to do the job for the V8.

SYROB

syrob@MSN.COM
12-26-06, 12:48 PM
Here is the V8 filter after only 7k (old photo from last year)

Kauai 1
12-26-06, 08:17 PM
Wow! I live in a dusty, desert area, and have not experienced a dirty filter like the last post.
I had mine replaced at 24,000 miles, and it was relatively clean. Another N* V-8 STS that I owned had a filter that was not much different in size.
Since replacement of the SRX V-8 filter, gasoline mileage and performance have not improved what-so-ever!
There is research that shows that after-market "performance" air filters do not catch the ultra-small particles, and while they make nice noise, the increase in performance is minimal, if at all.

Smokin' SRX
12-27-06, 11:05 AM
Wow! I live in a dusty, desert area, and have not experienced a dirty filter like the last post.
I had mine replaced at 24,000 miles, and it was relatively clean. Another N* V-8 STS that I owned had a filter that was not much different in size.
Since replacement of the SRX V-8 filter, gasoline mileage and performance have not improved what-so-ever!
There is research that shows that after-market "performance" air filters do not catch the ultra-small particles, and while they make nice noise, the increase in performance is minimal, if at all.

Depends on how dusty/severe your driving habits are. But Syrob's pic concerned me enough to check mine every 5K or 6 months! While a dramatic performance improvement may not be strongly felt, lab tests showed that K&N DOES catch tiny particles but some foam after market ones may not!! Another good argument to change oil at 35-40% still left on the computer read-out on dash! Oil captures most particles that drop into oil/combustion stream and cause breakdown/friction.
But for the record I personally experienced (felt) a noticeable power improvement (5-10% maybe) with a K&N exact replacement air filter on a Gran Prix GTP, as well as a GMC van w/4.3L v-6! Not really any big gas improvement, but I was enjoying the extra power :rolleyes: And no extra noise!
Hope K&N comes out soon!