: SRX falling behind in luxury?

Wagoneer
11-17-06, 12:13 PM
Cadillacs used to be known for their gadgets, but they seem to be falling behind in this respect. Here are some features commonly available on similarly priced European and Japanese luxury cars:

Electronic keys for keyless (push-button) starting and car entry
Cooled seats (some other Caddies have this)
Rear cameras, and/or front and back parking assist
Adaptive cruise control
Bluetooth phone compatibility
IPod / MP3 player integration
Voice commands controlling all interior convenience/entertainment functions

Caddy has made a nice comeback in the engineering department, but needs to get back into the luxury business.

robhersch
11-17-06, 12:33 PM
I find SRX luxury pretty good for a truck, and I prefer my trucks to not have all of the gadgets that require significant periodic maintenance.
BMW 7 series has most of the above gadgets for addl $40-50,000; Rolls & Bentleys also have lots of goodies for a few addl $$$.
I would guess that Cad would also add many (for extra $$$) if demanded by enough buyers.

ckrichards
11-17-06, 01:35 PM
I think Cadillac is making a choice to have less luxury and more performance and style. Cadillac used to have head up display, and night vision there is no reason for Cadillac to not use the technology other than Cadillac making a choice not to.
If you want the latest technology now you have to go to Lexus.

I like Cadillac's decision. I would rather have a well built reliable car with performance and a mid level of luxury than have a car that is overly complicated. I have seen some survey results where BMW/Mercedes are getting pounded because their cars have too much technology, which affects their reliability.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/06/07/jdpower_iqs/index.html

Cadillac has to find their niche in the market without giving up on their traditional customers. My father was looking for all the luxury appointments and almost bought a Lexus, but he stuck with Cadillac mainly because of his positive relationship with his dealer. He liked the Lexus better than the DTS though.

Lord Cadillac
11-17-06, 02:14 PM
You're definitely right - but as much as BMW and Mercedes are getting pounded, they're still selling better. They have all the performance of a Cadillac, plus some, and all the amenities that Cadillacs Should have. So people don't mind having their car spend some time in service when 95% of the time they're enjoying their vehicle.

Cadillac needs to figure out a way to stay in the game WITH all the luxuries of a Lexus.. In fact, Lexus has all the amenities of a Mercedes or BMW, enough power for any luxury car buyer - and they're vehicles are reliable at the same time. Cadillac needs to figure out how to make that happen...

Wagoneer
11-17-06, 03:59 PM
BMW 7 series has most of the above gadgets for addl $40-50,000; Rolls & Bentleys also have lots of goodies for a few addl $$$.

That's apparently what Cadillac thinks. But you don't have to go to a 7 Series or Bentley to get these features anymore. You can get them in a BMW 328i or Lexus IS250, which are at the entry level end of these manufacturers' lineups. Some of the features, like Bluetooth phone compatibility, you can get in certain $20,000 cars (Prius comes to mind).

I agree that certain brands tend to be at the bleeding edge, jamming features that nobody really wants into their cars, peppering people with overly-complex controls and causing reliability issues. Cadillac doesn't need to reproduce this strategy, but they should be more responsive in adding new features that have become more widely accepted. Electronics in particular which don't involve moving parts should be perfectly reliable if done correctly.

keeton
11-18-06, 07:43 PM
.... Electronics in particular which don't involve moving parts should be perfectly reliable if done correctly.

Ha! Tell that to the Germans (or most Euros, for that matter), who do not seem to have mastered the art of getting electrons to flow from one point to the other reliably. Those 7-series and S-class cars with their wonderful engines and chassis are just a short circuit waiting to happen, according to the reliablility surveys.

mack1a
11-19-06, 01:04 AM
I like Cadillac's decision. I would rather have a well built reliable car with performance and a mid level of luxury than have a car that is overly complicated. I have seen some survey results where BMW/Mercedes are getting pounded because their cars have too much technology, which affects their reliability.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/06/07/jdpower_iqs/index.html

I believe that is called a Chevrolet

kelliecoo
11-19-06, 02:19 AM
Why on earth my '06 6 disk cd changer doesn't play mp3's is beyond me. I was actually shocked by that!

mkaresh
11-20-06, 04:44 PM
That's apparently what Cadillac thinks. But you don't have to go to a 7 Series or Bentley to get these features anymore. You can get them in a BMW 328i or Lexus IS250, which are at the entry level end of these manufacturers' lineups. Some of the features, like Bluetooth phone compatibility, you can get in certain $20,000 cars (Prius comes to mind).

Nissan is pushing hard in this direction. You can get Bluetooth and keyless access/start in the new Versa and Sentra. And the latter is standard even in the base Altima, which doesn't even have A/C.

rbforrest
11-21-06, 10:25 PM
As a BMW motorcycle rider, I checked the BMW's out when I bought my wife's 06' SRX. I also checked out Mercedes, Lexus, Acura, and some other non-luxury vehicles. While the other luxury vehicles do seem to have the extra bells and whistles mentioned above, Cadillac offered all of them I need at quite a bit less $$$$.

EddieSRX
11-22-06, 08:21 AM
I agree, My 05 does not even have a remote garage transmitter. Why should that be an option in 2005.

neve1064
11-24-06, 07:55 PM
Just out of curiosity, what is the median age of a NEW cadillac buyer? That should tell you a few things. Older people aren't into too many gadgets. They want oterh things that a Cadillac provides. Now for me, a toy freak, yeah there are maybe two or three things I would like to see but really I love this SRX. With the huge sun roof and comfort I am pretty happy and it is a very sexy vehicle, imho.

Carry on....

robhersch
11-24-06, 10:17 PM
I agree, My 05 does not even have a remote garage transmitter. Why should that be an option in 2005.

2005 SRX V8 basic models had the Homelink universal "garage opener system" as standard as well as many other items that were optional on the V6 basic model; the ~$10k for the V8 basic model was not just for the N* V8 engine, it also included rear air, driver & passenger power adj/ heated seats w/ memory, Bose sound system w/ 6 CD changer, ultraview moon roof, power adj pedals, tire pressure monitors, wood trim, chrome luggage rack, heated outside mirrors, 18" wheels & tires, etc, etc. Add up the options cost, suspect ~ a wash.

TSS
11-25-06, 09:08 AM
Are you sure it included the Ultraview? The ultraview was definitely an option on top of the V-8 package in 2006.

robhersch
11-25-06, 10:49 PM
Yes, Ultraview was standard on 2005 SRX V8 models (also on 2004 V8 I believe; it may have been optional to allow a lower base price on 2006); my 2005 SRX N*V8 RWD has all of the above as standard. Probable best way to check standards vs options is to read the factory window stickers since even factory literature is not consistant.
My only option was the "trailering package - no hitch" at ~ $250 (was not available as stand alone on 04 V8s, was available on 05 V8s, believe now only available as part of a "package"). I have found that the "heavy duty cooling/ trailering etc packages" provide an extra measure of cooling capacity - particularly transmission cooling - and well worth the initial cost; I have gotten such on all new vehicles purchased since 1964.

Northern SRX
11-26-06, 08:19 AM
I have brochures for both the '04 and '05 SRX and, according to these, Ultraview was not standard for either year on either the V6 or V8 models (I, for one, chose to not take the roof on my '04 V8). I have read reviews which referred to the ultraview as a standard item on the V8 but others which describe it as an option.

My '04 brochure shows basically one package available on the V8 that essentially was AWD, Xenons, MRC, and power pedals. The only additional unpackaged "option" I got was the 3rd row seat.

My understanding is that the biggest difference in the standard/option pkg from 04/05 to 06 was that NAV was made standard for the V8 (is this true?). Other changes to the car itself were the addition of a (standard) power liftgate and a fix to the wide door sills up front. My understanding is that GM also rejigged the option packages and made more equipment standard for the '06 MY.

robhersch
11-26-06, 02:17 PM
I stand corrected. Ref my ~9"x12" SRX Brochures:(1) 04 SRX, (2) 05 SRX.
(1) had 9 items in the Luxury Pkg; did not include UltraView - Lux Pkg as std on SRX V8, opt on Std SRX V6;
(2) had the above 9 items; also included XM satellite radio (* only with 3rd row seating - U2K; is not on my 05 V8 RWD w/o 3rd row - mine has 6CD changer w/ Bose 8 speaker system - U2S) & tire pressure monitor (on mine);
(2) also had as std on SRX V8: avail on SRX V6 with Lux Pkg - UltraView;
(2) also had Lux Util Pkg items: avail on SRX V8 and on SRX V6 with Lux Pkg.
I have also heard about the "tow ring" and "convenience net" as extra cost items, all of these were std and icluded with my 05 V8.
Sorry I do not have an 06 SRX brochure, but do recall addl power lift gate, narrower door sills, different alloy wheels w/o hub caps;
I believe opt pkgs do vary in time with both adds and deletes in order to optimize buyer preferences with lower basic model prices.
My 07 SRX brochure now lists V6 Lux, V6 Prem Lux, V8 Prem Lux, etc, etc; it IDs XM Sat Rad as "std on V8 Prem Lux" and IDs AWD, DVD Nav, UltraView, power pedals as "avail on SRX V6 and SRX V8.
I believe only sure way is to review which RPO codes are std and which are extra cost options w/ dealer at time of ordering or to carefully check the window sticker and the RPO codes posted in the right rear side storage box.

TSS
11-27-06, 08:43 AM
Nav, MRC, ultraview, 3rd row were all still options in 06 with the v8.