: Being stalked by my ex... hosting service?

Jesda
11-17-06, 04:24 AM
As some of you know (by what happened when your q45.org accounts and data disappeared) Surpass Hosting screwed up a second time, losing all of my data while I was out of the country.

I posted this review on a web site:

I recently cancelled my Surpass account (jesus@pico). Right after I first joined back in 2003, they lost all of my data. It wasn't a huge issue, since I hadnt stored much anyway at the time.

Later on, I bought more storage and bandwidth. I ran into all kinds of issues running my Gallery software. I sent tickets, they would claim they were fixed when they obviously werent, and the process would repeat itself until SOMEONE FINALLY took care of it.

While I was out of the country on vacation, they again lost all of my data, about ten gigabytes of it. I was offered a pathetic month of service for free. I complained and got a year refunded. My data is still missing.

FrontPage access was horribly slow and unreliable. The rest of the tools were quite nice and performance was excellent. Downtime was unfortunately frequent: a few times a week for 15-60 minutes.

Even after refunding me for a year, they still denied responsibility for losing the data.

Most of the e-mails I got back denied any responsibility, though one person did take the blame and send a refund for a year of service. Overall, however, the attitude I got from Surpass was "I dunno! Here's 15 dollars sorry d00d LOLZ"

This morning I got this e-mail from someone at Surpass who found my review:

I am really surprised you went out of your way to post something negative despite the fact I refunded
you 1 year worth of service. What really upset me more is you claimed we denied losing the data. That
is completely false. See below replies where we explained to you what happened. We never denied it.
We didn't deliberately go and delete your data I am not sure why would you go out of your way to imply that
after we were apologetic about the situation and even compensated you. I know it won't replace your data
but a little understand would be a better situation then going out of your way to bash us. I am not sure
what you accomplished by doing that, maybe releasing anger at something beyond our control :-(

Daniel S.

So I replied:

Here's a hint: Don't lose data and you won't customers. I received multiple e-mails from Surpass, not just from you, denying any fault in what happened. That really bothered me. Hell, if you want your hush money back you can have it. A hosting service is completely worthless if it isn't reliable.

The silver lining is that I've switched to 1and1, which offers 24-hour phone support (a real human being answers, speaking proper English I might add) and only costs me $44 per YEAR for more bandwidth, more storage, and a more intuitive and feature-rich account configuration system.

During my years with Surpass, your technical support was entirely worthless, taking multiple tickets and multiple days to resolve problems that YOU created by making changes to security and access settings on your server without ANY notification. In addition, your e-mail server was flakey at BEST.

So, Daniel, there's your reasons. Unless you want me to expand further on my previously posted negative review, I ask that you do not contact me again.

Its too bad you weren't this interested in contacting me when you screwed up. Thanks, by the way, for bringing this up again and reminding me to tell my family and friends how dissatisfied I was. I had almost forgotten and stopped talking about it entirely, until now!

-Jesda

Moral of the story: If a customer continues to be upset, its best to leave them alone and let them forget. If you remind them, they might post a thread on a forum reminding everyone of how awful the service was.

Lord Cadillac
11-17-06, 04:45 AM
Wow.. $44 per year? They're just giving away hosting these days.. I remember when I used shared accounts, $100.00 per year was a good price.. In fact, I started this place on a $100.00 per year ipowerweb.com account. Unfortunately, that only lasted about a month before everybody on the server started complaining and we were the culprit (using all the bandwidth).

I remember being stalked by a hosting service as well.. First, they were pissed when I moved my site and cancelled - then they kept billing me for a year of hosting as every year went by. I finally started watching my bank account (with Microsoft Money), saw they were still taking the money, and after months of complaining, had them stop. I never could even get a refund (I didn't have the time to fight). I hate dealing with hosting companies - at least small ones...

codewize
11-17-06, 09:24 AM
I'm not stalking but if you want to move to my servers got to www.webspundesigns.com (http://www.webspundesigns.com) , sign up for an account and upload your stuff. We have literally 0 down time and have never lost data.

I think if we ever lost data we would just shoot ourselves. That's totally unacceptable.

slk230mb
11-17-06, 09:24 AM
I'm not so sure 1and1 is any better. Last week they dumped one of my SQL databases for no reason. When I emailed and asked why and what backups they had, all they did was was restore my html files (none of which I was missing), which is great, but I was running a blog, so I had to create a new database and apply my backup to it. I lost a few posts, but was able to repost them from memory.

Jesda
11-17-06, 10:40 AM
I'm not stalking but if you want to move to my servers got to www.webspundesigns.com (http://www.webspundesigns.com) , sign up for an account and upload your stuff. We have literally 0 down time and have never lost data.

I think if we ever lost data we would just shoot ourselves. That's totally unacceptable.

Your pricing page doesn't have any pricing on it.

Lord Cadillac
11-17-06, 02:22 PM
Why not use GoDaddy.com hosting? They're a HUGE company with Excellent customer service.. Same goes for ASmallOrange.com.. More excellent hosting with great customer service.. GoDaddy is great with lots of features.. Only thing is, if you're looking for CPanel - they don't "do it". For that, HostGator.com is very good...

Not to take anything away from WebSpunDesigns.com... I just don't have any experience there.. I was going to start a hosting company at madisonross.com but it's just way too involved with way too much responsibility...

CIWS
11-17-06, 02:39 PM
In fact, I started this place on a $100.00 per year ipowerweb.com account.

I still use them, currently 50 gigs storage and 750 gigs transfer. Isn't bad for 96.00 a year.
http://www.ipowerweb.com/products/webhosting/index.html

codewize
11-17-06, 10:02 PM
The pricing page was designed to explain how we price product. Click on 'compare plans' (http://cp.webspundesigns.com:8080/psoft/servlet/psoft.hsphere.CP?action=plan_compare&template_name=misc/compare_way.html)on the right.

Or you can just tell me what you need and I'll get you right.

Sal, it's very involved with huge responsibility. That's why we do it. That's why we're no $96 a year. The people that need a website up all the time with no excuses come to us. We do not sell bargain basement hosting. We spend thousand of dollars a month for world class facilities, which I can elaborate on if you wish, to ensure 100% satisfaction.

As the owner of the design company, I also have to ability to skew some of those plans for a friend if you see something that doesn't quite work for you.

Your pricing page doesn't have any pricing on it.

dp102288
11-18-06, 10:01 PM
Damn, hosting is dirt cheap. No wonder everyone has their own website! What the hell is wrong with me (I don't have one...:()

Jesda, watch your back! :D