: Tire Pressure

Claymore
11-16-06, 10:40 PM
OK guys - I know about "search" but as a newbie on this forum, I can't seem to get the combo of "tires + pressure" to work...(or any other combo - there is no FAQ on this)
So - I put it out there - I have put Pirelli Ice and Snow 255/55 18's all around - should I run the stock tire pressure of 30psi F and 32psi R?

donjumpsuit
11-17-06, 01:12 PM
AFAIK,
You should always run tire pressure as indicated on the actual tire itself. The manufactures suggestion should give the tire the correct footprint on the road. I am not sure if it differs depending on the Gross Vehicle Weight or not. I have 20" Toyos on mine that I keep at the required pressure of 40PSI, and have had very even wear on all 4.

keeton
11-18-06, 06:36 PM
AFAIK,
You should always run tire pressure as indicated on the actual tire itself. The manufactures suggestion should give the tire the correct footprint on the road. I am not sure if it differs depending on the Gross Vehicle Weight or not. I have 20" Toyos on mine that I keep at the required pressure of 40PSI, and have had very even wear on all 4.

NO! :tisk: The tire pressure molded in to the tire sidewall is a maximum pressure the tire can be safely run. Running a vehicle at those max pressures will make it ride like a buckboard. The actual pressures that should be used are indicated on a sticker in the driver's doorjamb. On my SRX, the recommended pressure is 32 psi front and rear. These are cold pressures, by the way.

TSS
11-20-06, 07:15 AM
The actual pressures that should be used are indicated on a sticker in the driver's doorjamb

AGREE. However, my front and rears have different pressure recommendations on door jam (2006 V-8).

Claymore
11-20-06, 08:35 AM
Thanks guys - agree on the posted pressure for stock tires.
Mine says 30F 32R ('05 V8)
I have put Winter tires on with the same size all around - 255/55's and was thinking the fronts should maybe be the same as the back as the tire profile is now identical.
BTW 30Lbs sure seems low....

TSS
11-20-06, 03:01 PM
Sorry - I did not read your first post fully.

If I had 255's all the way around, I would definitely have them all at 32 pounds. No question in my mind.

If you put a vastly different size tire on (like a 20 inch), then you would have to look at sidewall for guidance and experiment a little w/ various pressures below the "max" pressure listed on the sidewall.