: iPod solution for SRX

yourgmsolutions
11-16-06, 07:21 PM
Hi guys. I've been reading all threads here about ipods and this is what i can say.
every single ipod kits manufacturer in US and outside US, I've tried them all.and I'm talking about GM vehicles, I don't work on any other then GM cars.
USA Spec /metra Exxess / AI Neuclious are major players on this market.
and since this is SRX forum I'm talking about this vehicle spesificly
USA Spec - works ok, but very limited with options, it will see only 6 folders, other wise you need to switch for manual mode wich mean you have to drive your vehicle and play with your ipod at the same time ( personaly, I don't think it's cool) but you don't need to use FM modulator, wich is cool
Metra iPod Kit. a lot more flexible as far as operating functions, but in order to install it in SRX XM wires needs to be cut/splice.
Neuclious Kit 100% plug and play, no radio needs to be taking out, all connections are done at XM tuner wich located in the rear right corner. that kit will let you brouse your iPod from the factory radio by Album/artist/genre/on the go and custom playlist.
pictures below are the one I've done earlier this year on XLR , but nav Radio is indentical with SRX.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/gm-geek/XLR/P1011524_1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/gm-geek/XLR/P1011511_1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/gm-geek/XLR/P1011502_1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/gm-geek/XLR/P1011501_1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/gm-geek/XLR/P1011492_1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/gm-geek/XLR/P1011484_1.jpg

donjumpsuit
11-17-06, 01:46 AM
Um, I don't know about this solution.
I would love to have an Ipod Solution. However the one mentioned in a recent topic post, requires the head unit to be taken out to be installed. Since I just had my whole dash replaced to reharness the head unit, I decided it was not for me. This solution looks good, except for this post in the corvette column.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1437695

yourgmsolutions
11-17-06, 08:31 PM
we've talk about this link on CTS forum. neucleus never claimed that this kit should work on corvettes. on their instruction manual said nothing about that vehicle.
some damb ass tried to play around on his Vette, messed up his BCM, and of course trying to blame on somebody else.
one more time. if your vehicle equiped with XM, no radio needs to be taking out

donjumpsuit
11-18-06, 07:27 PM
Just wanted to know,
Its good to know all the information.

miked
11-24-06, 01:29 AM
(bump) gm_geek -- which solution do you like best? I looked at Metra's Axxess web site (wiretune I think), and it didn't indicate that it was compatible with the SRX.

With respect to the Nucleus, do you have any further info on the user interface for this? Your pictures above are useful, but I'm wondering some more info:

1) When you select "source," do you have a separate ipod function?

2) Can you select playlists/shuffle mode/etc?

3) Can you use the steering wheel controls to select next/previous track within a playlist, and/or select among playlists?

ramie
11-29-06, 08:47 AM
How do I know if my car has XM? I bought it used from a Caddy dealer. It's got just about every option offered in 04. I really want to install my i pod that would be great for all the driving I do.
Ramie

miked
11-29-06, 11:01 AM
You should be able to push the "source" or "band" button (it's a soft-screen button if you have NAV) to go through the various options. On the NAV screen, you go through AM, then FM, then XM. I would imagine that even if you don't subscribe to XM, that you'll see the band there, as they have a station (channel 01) that's always on, as a sort of free preview.

XM-equipped cars will also have an XM antenna on the roof, near the liftgate. For 2005+, it's an integrated XM/Onstar antenna, so you'll always have this, though, regardless of whether you have XM. For 2004, these two antennas are separate. The Onstar antenna is a old-style cell phone antenna on the side glass, whereas the XM antenna is a sort of "nub" that sits on the roof, near the liftgate.

ramie
11-29-06, 10:59 PM
I have the nub and the nav. I'll do the touch screen thing in the morning.Thanks can't wait to get the ipod going:thumbsup: .
Ramie

simshady
08-05-07, 12:13 PM
I've been reading through and searching this forum for days and I can't find anyone talking about iPod integration in an SRX w/out Nav. I have an '04 w/out Nav plus Rear Entertainment system. I thought I could leverage the RCA jacks in the RES, but I can't get the RES's audio to play through the speakers - only through the wireless headphones. Can anyone help???

terryk
08-05-07, 05:43 PM
I have an 05 with XM and without Nav. The USASpec PA11-Vet(tte) appears to be the interface for us. However, I want to get the newest version that has "Hybrid Mode". This means we can't buy it at much of a discount. Every discounted units out there I've seen have been the older ones without Hybird.

"New Hybrid mode - you are now able to search and select songs directly on your
iPod as in direct mode or access your mobile play list through the factory radio."

http://usaspec.com/ipod_product_sheets/pa11-vette.pdf

I'm figuring $200.

terryk
10-13-07, 07:48 PM
I bought a US Spec PA11-Vette and installed it today. Works nice but I am still trying to figure out the trick to getting the display to show the artist and title. You have to start the play list names with GM1-GM5 (only 5 play lists allowed). The radio selects the play lists fine but it just shows the mode and track.

I have a 6CD changer with XM but without Nav.

TK

terryk
10-14-07, 12:58 PM
After playing with this, it's adequate but not the best. The radio won't display artist or title. Is there a trick to that? Pressing INFO doesn't do it.

I have 5 play lists (GM1-GM5) set up and I can access everything but no titles or artist show up.

As said above, it's bad enough you can't navigate easily to a song, but only seeing the tracks as "play list 1 - track 1 to infinity" isn't very useful at all. If you add on song it will throw everything off so if your favorite song was T00205 it won't be after you add songs. Nice.

Right now I am using it in direct mode and just control it via iPod.

Having the songs displayed would be some help.

Any thoughts?

TK

RobVuk
10-14-07, 04:03 PM
Has no one tried the GMX-320 and the iPod adaptor? I am a new SRX owner and would really like to know if this works before I give it a try. It looks like it does everything you need.

http://www.coastaletech.com/GM_IPOD_LOCKPICK.htm

terryk
10-15-07, 12:39 AM
I had to go into the display configuration and add in the Clock + Info symbol to one of the buttons. Now when I press it, the info shows up. I am hoping I can configure the main display to show that all of the time but I got a bad feeling about it.

Unless it will show the title/artist all of the time or at least while you are changing tracks, the displaying of the title and artist feature is pretty worthless. Be prepared to step through 500 songs to find anything. Even the skip +/-10 isn't going to help much.

More work....

The sound quality and speed of changing tracks is good. When you change presets via F5, it takes it about a second or so to actually switch the iPod even though the display shows the change immediately when you press the button. You gotta be patient and not get a case of jerky finger.

Edit: Unless there is a way to change it, the display will always timeout and go back to the clock. Dang.

faderrific
10-15-07, 02:00 PM
FM modulator works fine for my IPOD, and it only cost 20 bucks. I like having the control on the actual Ipod, it would take forever to go through all 3000 songs through the headunit.

terryk
10-15-07, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I flipped it back to Direct mode and just use the iPod.

RobVuk
10-15-07, 04:43 PM
FM modulator works fine for my IPOD, and it only cost 20 bucks. I like having the control on the actual Ipod, it would take forever to go through all 3000 songs through the headunit.

This is why I asked about the GMX-320. If it works as claimed it would be easier than the iPod itself.

I guess no one here has ever seen one.

terryk
10-15-07, 06:48 PM
The GMX-320 isn't a modulator - it's hardwired (nice), it's $350 and it doesn't appear to work with the SRX.

The IPOD Lockpick isn't a modulator, it's $130 and doesn't seem to do any more than the USA SPEC PA11-VET if you don't have navigation. I'll bet you have to punch a button on the nav screen to see the title and artist and it doesn't update when you change tracks.

If someone has the IPOD Lockpick, correct me if I am wrong.

http://www.coastaletech.com/CADILLAC_APPLICATIONS.htm

RobVuk
10-15-07, 07:05 PM
The GMX-320 isn't a modulator - it's hardwired (nice), it's $350 and it doesn't appear to work with the SRX.

The IPOD Lockpick isn't a modulator, it's $130 and doesn't seem to do any more than the USA SPEC PA11-VET if you don't have navigation. I'll bet you have to punch a button on the nav screen to see the title and artist and it doesn't update when you change tracks.

If someone has the IPOD Lockpick, correct me if I am wrong.

http://www.coastaletech.com/CADILLAC_APPLICATIONS.htm

It does indeed work on the SRX. But I do have NAV and that might be where we differ. The iPod lock pick is $130 and I like hardwired. I guess the question is if it works any better than the SPEC. I'll probably get the GMX as well because I like the fact that I can program it on the move and even let the wife watch a DVD movie on trips.

terryk
10-15-07, 07:25 PM
It does indeed work on the SRX. But I do have NAV and that might be where we differ. The iPod lock pick is $130 and I like hardwired. I guess the question is if it works any better than the SPEC. I'll probably get the GMX as well because I like the fact that I can program it on the move and even let the wife watch a DVD movie on trips.

That would be cool if it did. I have a chance to get a nav system and would love to have a better interface.

What years SRX do you have?

RobVuk
10-15-07, 07:34 PM
That would be cool if it did. I have a chance to get a nav system and would love to have a better interface.

What years SRX do you have?

I have an 08. I've only had it 2 weeks. I'm going to call tomorrow and find out what I can. I'll let you know what they say.

simshady
10-15-07, 07:36 PM
Hi All. I have an 04 SRX w/Bose, w/out nav. It doesn't appear that I have XM since I don't have the "nub" on the roof. However, is there a way to tell if the radio is "XM ready?" I'm thinking about going with the Caddi-pod, but not sure if this will work if the car doesn't have XM already...?
Can anyone help? I've been reading and searching this board for months seeking the answer!

terryk
10-15-07, 10:30 PM
I have an 08. I've only had it 2 weeks. I'm going to call tomorrow and find out what I can. I'll let you know what they say.

Ah, your system is different but yes, let us know!