: 2006 Cadillac CTS Review

Lord Cadillac
11-16-06, 11:29 AM
Well, I finally got to drive the CTS last night. And I'll get to drive it again today when I go to pick up my ESV at the dealership.. Like my Wife mentioned to me, it's a little weak in torque down low - but that's easily taken care of by using the tiptronic shifting.. And, it's a loaner, so - it's probably the 2.8..

It was a pretty bare model, but the seats were very comfortable to me.. The leather was of high quality.. The handling was very impressive! It felt like my C4 Vette - but it handled bumps very well. A fairly smooth ride, in fact.. Nothing like I thought it was going to be.. The overall power of the car felt very good. I really like the CTS. At night, the interior is excellent. I'm not crazy about it during the day - it's plasticy and a little cheap-looking - but it's an entry-level luxury Cadillac - so there's really nothing wrong with that..

The switch-gear felt excellent. No creaks or squeeks.. I can see how this car brought Cadillac back from the dead... I can only imagine what a CTS-V must be like...

dp102288
11-18-06, 06:38 PM
Nice & quick review! At least it was better than you thought. :)

Lord Cadillac
01-03-07, 09:27 PM
A quick update.. I just drove a 2007 CTS (new loaner) and I'm sure it's got the 2.8 engine - but this one feels peppier.. I'm not sure why - maybe the last one I drove needed some help - but this CTS definitely feels like it has more lower-end torque.. Not a lot, but noticable.. The leather feels a little softer as well.. Is that my imagination?

gothicaleigh
01-07-07, 10:38 AM
A quick update.. I just drove a 2007 CTS (new loaner) and I'm sure it's got the 2.8 engine - but this one feels peppier.. I'm not sure why - maybe the last one I drove needed some help - but this CTS definitely feels like it has more lower-end torque.. Not a lot, but noticable.. The leather feels a little softer as well.. Is that my imagination?

Do they have Sport settings on the 2.8L? If so, that may be it. The car's transmission really wakes up in Sport mode with harder shifts and what feels like better throttle response.

Also if the 2.8L loaner you had before wasn't ever pushed, it definately will feel a bit weak. The 32 bit management system in the CTS adapts the car to how you drive.

Krug Ford
02-01-07, 08:27 PM
there is a sport setting on the 2.8l too. Not as peppy as the 3.6l

Lord Cadillac
02-02-07, 11:28 AM
I didn't know about the sport setting. Is it an option?

Jesda
02-04-07, 08:29 AM
Dont the upper door panels drive you mad with their... cheapness? Its certainly something I could overlook as a buyer, but I'd eventually have it resurfaced with leather.

Lord Cadillac
02-04-07, 01:25 PM
Is it expensive to have a resurfacing with leather?

Jesda
02-05-07, 03:09 AM
From the prices I've been quoted for auto upholstery work, anywhere from $200-$600 for both upper door panels including labor, depending on materials. Since its a wear area (if you rest your arm), it might be better to go with Allante vinyl, which feels similar to leather.

unforgiven74
05-07-07, 11:46 PM
I love the 06' CTS...I think for the money, you are getting an excellent car.