: Occasional vibration/stumble

rollerball
11-16-06, 03:41 AM
Hello,

my 86 Fleetwood drives like a dream but from time to time i get the following problem: If i cruise at a higher speed (65 mp/h) and then let off the gas to lose speed down to a lower speed (30 mp/h) and then step on the gas again sometimes the engine/transmission starts to vibrate/stumble. It feels as if the transmission is still locked in overdrive so that the engine has to try to move the car at a much too low rpm. But maybe it is something else - this is only my guess. Maybe it is a carb issue? I have read the thread about the problem with the engine dying after a curve and i must say that this also happened twice after i made a sharp turn at higher speed (highway offramp)

It does it only from time to time but often enough to make me worry...

90Brougham350
11-16-06, 09:46 AM
Yup, that's the torque converter solenoid in your transmission. You need a new one. It's not letting the locking torque converter unluck when you hit the gas.

ChiTDI
11-16-06, 11:02 AM
This may help. I haven't done it yet, but spring is coming.
http://www.montecarloss.com/TCC_Solenoid.html#Definition

rollerball
11-16-06, 02:16 PM
Thank you guys! Is this a common problem? Shouldnīt it happen all the time and not only from time to time? I am no mechanic so i doubt my own diagnosis. I talked to a dealers mechanic today and he guessed that it could be an ignition problem....

90Brougham350
11-16-06, 06:22 PM
When it begins to fail, I would imagine it would work sometimes still, when it fails completely, you'll know.

rollerball
11-17-06, 03:35 AM
There is one thing that makes me doubt that it is the torque converter: The car only begins to stumble when i get back on the gas. If the converter was locked it would start to vibrate as soon as a certain low speed ist reached wich makes it hard for the engine to still run in such a high gear. I will take it to the daler on monday. Letīs hope it is only a minor issue.