: So how many are getting those PS3's...

TheCaddyKidd
11-15-06, 07:38 PM
well passing most of the local Best Buys I see alot of people waiting all day today for the PS3's that are coming out Friday.. Just wondering if anyone is planning on going out and waiting on lines to get this thing.. I might go out tomorrow and wait.. from waht I can see on ebay the system itself costs 600 but they are selling for over 2000 on ebay which makes about a 13-1400 profit and to me that is worthe a day of waiting around..

Boombotz
11-15-06, 08:01 PM
Moving to the correct section. The Lounge is very friendly.

Krashed989
11-15-06, 08:05 PM
I'm waiting for the PS3 to cause the price of the Xbox360 to drop... :)

CadillacSTS42005
11-15-06, 08:21 PM
600 bucks
the thing should give me one hell of a bj too...

gary88
11-15-06, 08:23 PM
I'll most likely camp out for it. I have no intent to use it, I just really want to sell it on ebay. With a profit like that you can't go wrong. If all goes as planned, this might just pay for Corsa and HIDs for my car :highfive:

HITMONEY
11-15-06, 09:08 PM
I am getting one, possibly two if all works out... then it's straight to ebay.

Slywun
11-15-06, 09:25 PM
Gonna try here too....we'll see.....
Although one of the DJ's down here is trying to collect as many as possible. Which is making the frenzy even worse....

STEALTHBOMBER
11-15-06, 09:30 PM
go 2 already any1 wanna make an offer

SpeedyArizona
11-15-06, 09:39 PM
I'll be camping out also with hundreds of other stupid, stupid, yet-dedicated fans. Honestly I really don't know the difference between the game systems but I'll HOPEFULLY get 2 to use as Christmas presents. I already plan on buying 1 for my nephew and then another for the teenager of a friend of mine. He's a really great guy but he can't afford to buy his family a whole lot for Christmas. They've been in a tough situation lately and I think this will really cheer his son up.

His mother had breast cancer and it's been a long process for both of them. His father works 16 hours a day in 2 different jobs just so they can get by. But through it all, he achieves nearly all straight A's. And also has a part time job to help out his family. If anyone deserves it, he does.

TheCaddyKidd
11-15-06, 10:18 PM

What do you have preorders for them?

OffThaHorseCEO
11-15-06, 11:47 PM
I'll be camping out also with hundreds of other stupid, stupid, yet-dedicated fans. Honestly I really don't know the difference between the game systems but I'll HOPEFULLY get 2 to use as Christmas presents. I already plan on buying 1 for my nephew and then another for the teenager of a friend of mine. He's a really great guy but he can't afford to buy his family a whole lot for Christmas. They've been in a tough situation lately and I think this will really cheer his son up.

His mother had breast cancer and it's been a long process for both of them. His father works 16 hours a day in 2 different jobs just so they can get by. But through it all, he achieves nearly all straight A's. And also has a part time job to help out his family. If anyone deserves it, he does.

wish i had the money to do stuff like that for people

its nice to know that those of us so privileged do nice things for those who deserve it

gothicaleigh
11-16-06, 06:17 AM

Sure.
I'll pay $600 for one.

SpeedyArizona
11-16-06, 07:23 AM
Sure.
I'll pay $600 for one.

I'll bid $601, boy I'd love to have one IN HAND even though they weren't released yet:D.

wish i had the money to do stuff like that for people

its nice to know that those of us so privileged do nice things for those who deserve it

It is what Christmas is all about. If I was in that situation, how would I feel? Something even as miniscule as buying a game system can brighten up their life. And these people truly deserve it, my Christmas wish is that they get back on their feet.

OffThaHorseCEO
11-16-06, 08:56 AM
yea but what im sayin is somethin as miniscule as buying a used last gen system woulda had similiar effects. to go out and get the hottest newest 600 dollar piece of hardware is just awesome. i was in that situation at one point and i was glad i had video games, but i never bragged on em cause i was always a few generations behind. i knew better than to ask my mom for the new one tho, not cause shed get mad or anything, but cause i knew she'd kill herself tryin to get me one and would hurt her so much to not be able to

anyways on a lighter note. i might get my older bro an xbox 360 if the price is right for crimmus

nickc50310
11-16-06, 09:09 AM
Im hopin to get one from wal mart at 12am tonight. Probably not going to get one but oh well! If I get any its straight to ebay!

STEALTHBOMBER
11-16-06, 09:20 AM
nope my dad got them a couple of days ago

dp102288
11-16-06, 09:24 AM
Too expensive for me. I learned that if you can wait just a few months, you can save a lot of money. Plus I would rather put that money into the cars.

TagApl4
11-16-06, 09:32 AM
Think about it The US is only getting 400,000 thats less than most small cities population. How many best buys, toys R us, wal-marts, EB, Game stops are there in the country. How many units will each store get. I think these people are camping and there will only be 25 units at the store. It will be a fight to get one. I'm goin out tomorrow morning 5 am w/ my roomates trying to get 2-3 for resale.

If i dont get one i wont be too broken hearted or surprised, I can wait 6 months to play it patience is a virtue.

TheCaddyKidd
11-16-06, 03:17 PM
I know each Best buy has to have 26 of them minimum.. there wont really be a fight.. each store has a line and all stores hand out tickets to the first people on line for as many as they have.. there is no running.. its whoever is there is there and thats it..

SpeedyArizona
11-16-06, 04:00 PM
nope my dad got them a couple of days ago

Who's your dad, the CEO of Sony? They haven't been released yet, it means the general public cannot purchase them. Ok, if you have them the post a picture...

Adam
11-16-06, 05:07 PM
getting mine Saturday. i called the place i put one on hold and they said i could get it Saturday afternoon any time after 1 pm. cant wait!

CIWS
11-16-06, 05:09 PM
No PS3, just payed 2K for a new laptop. :)

gary88
11-16-06, 05:12 PM
Well it's pointless for me to camp outside Best Buy now, I watch the news every morning beofre school and they showed all the people outside that particular Best Buy I planned on going to. At least 100 people. My new plan is to check Target before school tomorrow. They're only getting about 10 units though.

Adam
11-16-06, 05:40 PM
do like i do on the day after thanksgiving... wait til one minute before the store opens, get out of your car, and walk right through the front door :) .

gary88
11-16-06, 05:47 PM
The line outside Best Buy on black friday is 10x worse than the PS3 campers! I'd be lucky to park in the same plaza that the store is in.

Adam
11-16-06, 05:54 PM
see that makes your job easier. just walk right in like you own the place!

xxpinballxx
11-16-06, 07:55 PM
i'll have mine by 9:15 tomorrow morning.....I'll have a review by sat the latest.

DopeStar 156
11-16-06, 08:02 PM
I'm going out at 3 AM tonight and I'm gonna try. I don't expect anything but I'm gonna at least try......

Nasty Black Lac
11-16-06, 09:20 PM
our Sam's clubs in town got a total of 6 between the 4 stores (indy). The wal-mart by me got 6 total (4 60gb, 2 20 gb). I heard gamestop was shorted too. Sounds like the classic love story: Suppy meets demand.

Sony does this shit intentionally. More hype = more demand. Account for fewer on the supply side, and watch the price get jacked on eBay. There were more campers at every location in Indy today then there were machines available. I was going to try Sam's club (with my Business membership), but when I got there 2 campers had already beat me. I went inside and was informed that Fedex was going to do a secured delivery for their ONE unit that they were getting. I think it's total bullshit, especially that Sam's won't give rainchecks.

ShadowLvr400
11-17-06, 03:18 AM
I'm going to wait about a year and a half or more. Upcoming house purchase first.

Phantom&RedGoat2004
11-17-06, 03:52 AM
Those things are rediculous. I just got my PS2 jacked, and I thought to myself, 'No problem, the PS3 will be coming out soon.' Well, screw that, I'm going to the pawn shop, and I'm gonna get another PS2 for under a bill.

SpeedyArizona
11-17-06, 07:38 AM
Well after standing outside for 7 hours.....I didn't get one:(. They only had 8 or 9 and there were probably 100 people waiting alongside me...do the math. Hopefully I can get two before Christmas otherwise I may resort to Ebay when the prices come back to earth.

Anybody get one here?

gothicaleigh
11-17-06, 07:52 AM
What is the big deal about getting one the day it lands? So you can brag to your friends?

Give it a few months and purchase one then. It's a game machine, not a car (and yes, I game as much as the next person). Besides, it usually takes 6 months to a year after release for the developers to build anything worth playing.

I'll have mine in February or March.

xxpinballxx
11-17-06, 09:07 AM
Well I didnt get mine hand delivered but I went up to my buddy's work and he pulled one out from the back and handed it over! I was really excited about it and couldn't wait till I got it home. On the way out the mall A young punk kid who thought he was a hardcore gansta came over and sked me if I wanted to sell it....I said no and he pulled out a fat wad of cash. He goes i'll give you 2g's right now. I said hold on one sec...called jay-diggity and asked if he could hold one on the next shipment for me and told him the story...he said he would if I would buy him one too. I was like...."you trying to shake me down or what" I told him I would give him three hundred towards it and he said he would hold them. So I got off the phone had the cash in hand and now have to wait till tuesday to get another one. made a grand in a couple minutes.....I think I could get use to this. more money towards my Lowenharts.....

svassh
11-17-06, 03:29 PM
I wish I bought one they are selling for over $2500 on ebay. Not bad for a $600 investment. That would have funded some nice wheels for the V.

xxpinballxx
11-17-06, 11:16 PM
well after additional controoler and 2 games mine came to just a hair over 800.
Thats the only reason I sold it...for the rims fund!

Florian
11-17-06, 11:36 PM
some people are really dumb. WTG pinball for shaking down a waterhead! Easy money...well done.

F

Florian
11-17-06, 11:37 PM
I dont have time to play vid games....

F

xxpinballxx
11-17-06, 11:47 PM
I let it cut into my sleep time...plus it gives me a reason to have some more drinking time.....always better to drink and game.
Hey I didn't shake anyone down this punk had at least 5 grand on him...should have beat his ass for lookin stupid and told him to consider it a lesson.

Spyder
11-18-06, 01:44 AM
Shoulda told him you'd get him two, on Saturday, for five grand!

HITMONEY
11-18-06, 03:56 AM
I got two, one from Walmart and one from Best Buy. Easy as pie.

Sold them both, no ebay. One to a customer of my club.. 1800.00 and one to a friend's friend for 1800.00

Gross, 3,600.00
Expenses 1,600.00
---------
Net 2,000.00

Not bad for one day. I took the money and already gave it to the shop where my Mustag is being done.

:)

DopeStar 156
11-18-06, 12:39 PM
I'm trying my hardest to at least get information as to when the second shipment it coming. On Firday Best buy had 28 PS3's and I was number 32 in line. No one will even give me a date and I've gotten three people in trouble at different stores for giving me additude.......

Jon
11-18-06, 12:50 PM
www.smashmyps3.com

Murphyg
11-18-06, 01:24 PM
I'm trying my hardest to at least get information as to when the second shipment it coming. On Firday Best buy had 28 PS3's and I was number 32 in line. No one will even give me a date and I've gotten three people in trouble at different stores for giving me additude.......

According to Pinball the second shipment in his area is Tuesday.
Way to go Pinball. :highfive:
Too bad you have to now wait a whole 4 days till you get yours LMAO. That is just tooooo hilarious.
What kind of mush do these people have inside there heads.

LittleB
11-18-06, 01:25 PM
Dang I'd love to get my hands on one to make some extra money but you won't see me camping out for one.

Murphyg
11-18-06, 01:28 PM
Dang I'd love to get my hands on one to make some extra money but you won't see me camping out for one.

Just wait till Tuesday B.
Could probably get a few.
Make a nice downpayment for a house LMAO

LittleB
11-18-06, 01:38 PM
I already own a house lol....but I could buy some other crap! :D

HITMONEY
11-18-06, 01:46 PM
Here is how I scored 2 PS3's with no waiting... none.. zip.

I knew i was going to get at least one because a friend of mine and his girlfriend camped out at Walmart for a midnight release, I gave them some extra $$ to get a voucher for an extra PS3 since they were only getting one.

So, I figured, what the hell and drove by Best Buy after I closed the club. I went around 5am. People were camped out in tents freezing their ass off cause a cold front had just came through... LOL

I went up to the first couple I saw, they were about 6th or 7th in line. Young kid and his girlfriend. I offered them the same deal and they took it.

Two PS3's.. no wait. I did pay extra, but still made a killing... and i stayed warm and dry.

;)

LittleB
11-18-06, 01:55 PM
That's awesome. Might be worth doing a little research....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-18-06, 01:59 PM
600 bucks
the thing should give me one hell of a bj too...

Ahahahahahaha! Nice! And it should be able to do 0-60 in less than 5 seconds!

I might buy one at some point. There are other things I need to buy first (first house/apartment, 2nd car). I've never been much of a gamer so I really have no desire for a PS3.

LittleB
11-18-06, 02:01 PM
I just want one to sell it! LOL

LittleB
11-18-06, 07:38 PM
So I just heard today that the PS3's are already having problems and that the Nintendo Wii is supposed to be way better. I can't believe that the PS3 doesn't even play most PS2 games <---Just what I heard and if that is true, that's retarted.

dp102288
11-18-06, 09:49 PM
^^ I have heard from some friend that they are already disappointed with it. Like Meg said, it doesn't play a lot of PS2 games, one said his overheated (it froze, and felt "hot like a burning hell"). Another girl of mine says hers has quality problems, and that its not as stunning as they hype said it would be. They are already putting them up for sale or returning. And they had planned to keep them to use, not to sell. :tisk:

railven
11-18-06, 10:04 PM
I'm bacK!!!

I went to pick up FF3 and a DS Lite, they didn't have either so I went outside and sat in the line for the PS3.

Everyone had chairs, tents, food, I just had my jacket...haha it was rather amusing.

Anyways, sad news I was 31 out of 30 so no PS3 for me. Sniff, shed a tear, then realized it would have been a 20GB version...oh well I'd have sold it.

Yeah the PS3 isn't all that, this isn't new. Everything bad with the PS3 is due to early production. Give it a few months and it will get better. Remember the X-Box 360 left the exact bad taste in your mouth.

I wish I scored that 20GB, that be enough for the living room set, a detail job, and a 360 with Gears of War.

Oh well.

Wii is already in short supply and after playing a few games...I wasn't impressed. I was actually mad. The race car game is so damn simplified drifting is literally IMPOSSIBLE. The Wii-mote is so damn sensitive it made playing the game while standing, sorry I got that restless problem you know I can't stand still, literally impossible.

I'm being very anal on the new systems...I know a few months will do all these systems a great deal of good, 360 is a damn good example of that.

Oh well, I've realized the true power of the Nintendo DS. It is by far the laziest system I've ever gamed on. FF3 on the DS requires nothing but the freaking stylus to play it. NOTHING! You can pretty much click your way to victory. Makes it kind of boring.

Nintendo's current state of innovation isn't pleasing me.

ATI/NVIDIA spoiled me, PC gaming seems to be the best place to "game" and people who are bitching about PS3 prices...they haven't PC gamed.

What ever happened to the Phantom? I was looking forward to it. I still want one, even the prototype system will be enough.

gary88
11-19-06, 01:05 AM
I got to play one today at Best Buy. Here's my short review.

First of all, the thing is freaking huge! It's about the size of a George Foreman grill, and looks like one too. I played the Motorstorm and NBA Live '07 demo. Motorstorm was alright, though nothing I would ever buy. I got to see the SIXAXIS controller in action in this game. It's pretty neat, but you just have to ask yourself "why?" It's really really sensitive, and just feels unnessecary. The graphics for it were pretty good, very smooth frame rate. NBA Live '07 though, I was a little dissapointed by it. The 360 version is way better IMO. The graphics are lacking, and it takes awhile to get used to the controls and timing your shot right. The lack of pressure sensitivity and rumble most of all is dissapointing.

Overall the PS3 is a pretty great machine, but definatley NOT worth paying $600 for.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-19-06, 01:09 AM
I'm lost like a jew in a goodwill. :confused:

DopeStar 156
11-19-06, 01:57 AM
They're restocking on Tuesday? Interesting...

Not all PS3's are bad. All new consoles get a bad rap....

My PS2 is a release day one and it's never given me one problem. So is my PSP and once again, a quality product. No dead pixels, or any of the other rumored problems they had. My original PlayStation which was also release date bought STILL to this day works perfectly fine. I've never had a bad PlayStation product......

railven
11-19-06, 12:20 PM
I'm with Dopestar. All my consoles, minus my DS Lite, are zero-day releases. The only one that crapped out on me was my PS2. I guess that little guy couldn't keep up with my gaming habits but it died about eight months ago, thats almost the whole 5 years of its life span.

Hey Gary88 would you at least include that it brings a Blu-Ray Drive? I wouldn't pay $600 dollars for a gaming console but I'd gladly pay $600 for a Blu-Ray player that also plays games and surfs the net.

I was looking at the 360, finally deciding to get one, and I'd be damn with the parts I want its going to cost me $750 dollars and thats with no freaking games! WHAT THE HELL? Wasn't it supposed to be cheaper then the PS3?

Someone lied to me. I guess if I get it without the HD-DVD drive and the WiFi receiver it be cheaper...but then I'd have a million wires running from my TV-stand and right now the living room looks awesome, so I guess I have no choice.

EDIT: For any of those who have an LCD/PLASMA-TV have you guys wall mounted it or mounted it to something? I was really bitchy about mounting mine but we got a TV stand with a mount built it and by-gosh was I being stupid. It looks so damn awesome mounted to that thing.

gary88
11-19-06, 12:40 PM
True, the blu-ray player is a nice advantage. Forgot to mention that. You would want to think they could at least give you an HDMI cable though.

My LCD is on a stand right now, but as soon as I re-arrange my room and get a couch up here i'm going to wall mount it.

xxpinballxx
11-19-06, 01:57 PM
Well I went to my buddy's house to play his PS3....
Games look amazing! Backwards compatibility must have been unheard of by the development team of the PS3.
After going through about 30 games he only found two that played. THe thing is quite big but i didn't mind the size. Didn't have any overheating but he has a small desk fan on it....says he doesn't want to risk it overheating. The wireless controller seemed to be giving him a bunch of problems. Wasn't enough to stop gameplay but in a 5 hour period a screen came up saying no controller available or something along those lines. I was drunk so wasn't paying a whole lot of attention.
I guess overall I will be getting another tuesday but a little pissed my Grand Turismo 4 doesn't play on it. Makes no damn sense to me at all. I can see some of the older games but the popular newer games should work on it!!

Stoneage_Caddy
11-19-06, 02:06 PM
damn my poor ps2 is obselete , and i just got done putting a new motherobard in it ....oh the humanity

xxpinballxx
11-19-06, 02:07 PM
the PS2 will never be obsolete. Way too many games that Rock!
I'll always have one hooked up somewhere or another.

dp102288
11-19-06, 08:17 PM
You swapped motherboards in a PS2? Damn man, those things are cheap to get now. How much did you pay for the mobo?

Stoneage_Caddy
11-19-06, 08:41 PM
little over 25 on e bay ....cant buy a new one becuse i outfitted mine with a 40 gig drive

railven
11-20-06, 08:59 AM
Did you solder that HDD into the system? The HDD trick is just a software thing.

I read people installing 120GB HDD into their PS2s.

But either way 25 bucks beats 130 any day!

Blackout
11-20-06, 09:11 AM
Hey Gary88 would you at least include that it brings a Blu-Ray Drive? I wouldn't pay $600 dollars for a gaming console but I'd gladly pay $600 for a Blu-Ray player that also plays games and surfs the net.Whenever I hear someone say that I just laugh my ass off because once the Blu-Ray copyright protection goes in effect then the PS3 will not be able to play the new Blu-Ray movies The hardware won't support it making it a $600 gaming console

I was looking at the 360, finally deciding to get one, and I'd be damn with the parts I want its going to cost me $750 dollars and thats with no freaking games! WHAT THE HELL? Wasn't it supposed to be cheaper then the PS3?What "parts" I bought the premium bundle, controller, plug and play kit and a couple games for under $700. :confused:

Someone lied to me. I guess if I get it without the HD-DVD drive and the WiFi receiver it be cheaper...but then I'd have a million wires running from my TV-stand and right now the living room looks awesome, so I guess I have no choice.Well you act as if these are needed to play the 360 which it is not. Hell the HD-DVD drive for the 360 is one hell of a deal! HD-DVD drive, remote, and a HD-DVD movie for $200. How is that a bad deal!?

dp102288
11-20-06, 09:16 AM
Oh, modded PS2. I wanted to do that, but never got around to it.

I thought I had read that Sony said the PS3 will be able to play protected Blue-Ray discs.

railven
11-20-06, 09:27 AM
Sigh, Blackout give it up man. You have nothing you can say that I can't argue.

The HDCP isn't in effect yet and there is no garauntee that it will be put into effect. And if it does like all decoding it is just a CPU process that can be implemented into most CPU cycles, depending on its requirements it could pose a bottleneck. When they enact the HDCP then come here and state it will be a $600 gaming console.

And even if it where just a $600 gaming console its games would be in Blu-Ray native format which will allow developers, if they use it again they may not, to incorporate uncompressed textures and hifidelity audio. Imagine bitmap images as high as 10MBs! On a 360 DVD disc that would eat up its small amount of data storage.

As for my complaint about the 360, if you haven't noticed yet I'm one of those tech-geeks. If it is new I want it, to a certain point I won't sell blood to get a PS3, so if when I finally decide to get a 360 I want it with what I want it. And yes Blackout call me spoiled/lazy I do need the WiFi receiver because my wireless router is upstairs. I'm not going to punch holes into the walls to run a CAT5 downstairs in my finally complete living room. Why would I even buy a wireless router if I'm not going to use it? My PS2 is wireless, my Gamecube, my PSP, my DS, my laptop, my PS3 will be, and why not my 360? So I would want a WiFi receiver and I haven't yet down all my homework but the one available at the store, that says 360 on it, is rather expensive then again I could probably bridge it with my PS2/GC.

So lets see:
360 $400
HD-DVD $200 [yeah I want it, so what? I want to be able to say "after owning both HD/Blu so and so is better" not just "I read on X-SITE."]
WiFi-Reciever: $100

So far that is $700 without the extra controller for the way I WANT my 360 to be. I said "I probably don't need all that stuff" but knowing me I will be biting my nails saying "why didn't I just get it" with my girlfriend in the background sighing because she knew this would happen.

So, unless you're going to bring something new to the table just give up, seriously.

Blackout
11-20-06, 09:36 AM
It will most likely go through due to Sony being the biggest supporter for Blu-Ray and as with Sony over the years they try an dictate what the market must due when it comes to them and what they are trying to sell. Remember Betamax and Sony not wanting to give our the rights for other companies to work with it and not paying attention when companies were telling them to make the tapes longer then an hour and Sony didn't want to hear anything about it and so everyone hopped on with VHS. Or when Nintendo was working with Sony for the original Playstation and when Sony told Nintendo that everything will go to them and Nintendo said screw you and went to Panasonic with the 3DO. But how is it any different then the way you want your 360 setup versus the PS3? I mean let's look at the way you want it setup

Premium Bundle 360 = $400
Wi-Fi = $100 or you can just go to EB Games and buy a used one for $65 like I did
HD-DVD = $200

PS3 = $600
HMDI cable= $50

So your whining and complaining over $50 at the most?

railven
11-20-06, 09:47 AM
Oh Jesus you just don't get it do you?

Okay everyone, who is following this thread, what seems to be one of the biggest complaints of the PS3? PRICE. I can't go anywhere without reading "$600 dollars for a PS3! Hell no I'm not paying that." But as the world has shown us, no one will pay $600 for a PS3 but gladly pay up to $3,000 for it. Wait, what?

Okay, so I broke it down and to make the 360 comparable to the PS3 in terms of hardware the 360 cost more. Wait, what again? Wait, thats not what the 360 is about you don't need all that hardware to play it, true. Same for the Ps3. Do you need a built in Wi-Fi? No, Do you need a card-reader? No. Do you need a built in Bluetooth receiver? No. So why they put it in? Oh yeah to make the system more versatile. But wait, I'm not paying $600 for that!

Haha, got that out of my system.

Sony is a corporate machine. I've said that how many times? Their job is to stay in the spotlight. So yeah they will introduce various technologies that will either hit or miss. Beta was a good example of Sony picking the wrong horse. But after they got into the VHS race their VCR's dominated for a while. And before you use the Nintendo/Sony story get it right first. Nintendo contracted Sony to make a CD based drive expansion for their N64. Nintendo decided to scrap the idea and go with a cartridge expansion system. After all that R&D that Sony said they said "fine we'll sell it under our name" so bam Playstation was born. Nintendo sues over copyright infringments but they lose because Nintendo never truly owned the licenses for the CD-Drive unit, Sony did. Nintendo sued for the name Playstation, don't quote me on this I can't recall 100%, but Sony won as since Nintendo never truly owned the system the name wasn't really a product - just a name.

Okay, so am I bitching about $50 dollars more? Haha, no. As a tech-junkie I know it isn't cheap. Hell a new ATI X1900 XTX will run me about $400+ and make it Crossfire thats almost a grand in just video cards. So no, the price for PS3/360[fully loaded] is not something I'll bitch about. But I will point out "guys the 360 when brought up to PS3 in terms of spec cost more."

You have anything else? Or do you just enjoy attacking my comments?

xxpinballxx
11-20-06, 09:56 AM
HAHAHA!
And in this corner.....We have PS3 assassin, the Sony is a phoney, Blackout!
And wearing the Tech junkie Monkey, the Gamer Hall of Famer, Railven.

cant believe you two are stil going at it...HAHA! This is funny....railvens right bought the pricing.......(fuel the fire, fuel the fire)

Blackout
11-20-06, 09:58 AM
Oh Jesus you just don't get it do you?

Okay everyone, who is following this thread, what seems to be one of the biggest complaints of the PS3? PRICE. I can't go anywhere without reading "$600 dollars for a PS3! Hell no I'm not paying that." But as the world has shown us, no one will pay $600 for a PS3 but gladly pay up to $3,000 for it. Wait, what?

Okay, so I broke it down and to make the 360 comparable to the PS3 in terms of hardware the 360 cost more. Wait, what again? Wait, thats not what the 360 is about you don't need all that hardware to play it, true. Same for the Ps3. Do you need a built in Wi-Fi? No, Do you need a card-reader? No. Do you need a built in Bluetooth receiver? No. So why they put it in? Oh yeah to make the system more versatile. But wait, I'm not paying $600 for that!You don't get it! Your comparing the 360 which plays DVD's and plays games and will soon be able to download TV shows and HD movies to the PS3. And your argument is that when you price out the most expensive options to the 360 then it costs more then the PS3. Well as a gamer having the Wi-Fi doesn't affect me because I don't have a wireless setup even though I did try and set it up but it never worked out. And the HD-DVD drive is to watch movies on and that is it. It has nothing to do with how the games play or anything of that nature. So I just fail to see how you are arguing over options for the 360 that not many people need or need to have at all to have any worse or better gaming experience then one could have with a core system.
So what if one wants to buy accessories for the PS3?

I mean the HDMI cable from Sony is $59.99
The charger base for the controller is $29.99
The PS3/PS2 controller adapter is $9.99

You act as if only the 360 has accessories that people want or will need

Sony is a corporate machine. I've said that how many times? Their job is to stay in the spotlight. So yeah they will introduce various technologies that will either hit or miss. Beta was a good example of Sony picking the wrong horse. But after they got into the VHS race their VCR's dominated for a while.
And before you use the Nintendo/Sony story get it right first. Nintendo contracted Sony to make a CD based drive expansion for their N64.Nice try but it was for the SNES

railven
11-20-06, 10:10 AM
You're right Blackout, my apologies I got my gaming history screwed up. Nintendo scrapped the CD-Drive, designed to compete with the Sega-CD but after seeing how the Sega-CD faired in the market they scraped it, and started R&D for the N64, another cartridge system, but either way the story is still true - Nintendo lost that lawsuit and their decision to scrap it gave birth the Playstation.

All I can do is sit here and compare configurations. Because from the beginning each system is DIFFERENT. I don't preach a PS3 to a gamer. In fact go read the Wii thread I said the 360 is probably your better option. The PS3 is being aimed as a complete package.

Out of the box, pick up a HDMI cable, you can watch Blu-Ray movies, until as you claim they enact HDCP, play hi-def games, surf the net, and if you've seen any of Sony's press coverage their online market will be oddly similar to iTunes which means, download video, download music, shoot I'd say with the right marketing and support you can stream movies to your TV giving say even cable companies competition, you will probably be able to surf the net ala Dreamcast, and if I start to think about Linux programming damn, emulators, PORN, and what not.

Yeah you can do some of that stuff on the 360 but do it it all you'd pay more then you'd expected. That is why the 360 is more a GAMING unit then the PS3.

True, all systems have hardware that you'd need. Hey, what if the HD-DVD expansion for the 360 is bogged down by encryption problems? I doubt HD-DVD wouldn't design some form to keep their copyrighted material safe. Who knows, I don't I haven't done all my homework on that topic.

So you have a HD-DVD with no HDMI giving you a weaker signal and less bandwidth? And that is better how?

Is PS3 better then 360? Yes, how? Hardware, price for hardware, features, and expansion capabilities. Is 360 better then PS3? Yes, how? More games, units have more time in market and better support [no random fires anymore], more accessories, and bigger online market.

Sony might fail, shoot plenty or betting they will. Just on the things I've seen, and read from various different sites either bashing or supporting, make me believe they will succeed. Their fanbase alone is enough to give them a running start.

So, where were we? I don't even know anymore. Is this a competition on which system is better of just a fanboy preaching his preferred console? Because I can sell you either or, including a Wii, without bias.

I'm going to own all three, trust me, and whether I prefer to game on the Ps3 over the 360 has zero affect on you unless well everyone else goes my way but even then MS's money will keep the 360 afloat like it did for the original X-Box.

Don't worry, your precious 360 isn't going anywhere now that big scary Sony's PS3 is in the market.

xxpinballxx
11-20-06, 10:19 AM
well Im going to get my Wii and will tell you guys what I think in a few hours...keep up the good fight Railven....
Stand firm Blackout!

railven
11-20-06, 10:21 AM
Hey Pinball, if you get that GT game [forgot it] let me know how the control handles. I'm dying to know if the Wii-mote will be suffice for racing games. Excite Truck worries me.

xxpinballxx
11-20-06, 10:27 AM
yeah I am not to keen on the wii-mote. I think it'll be cool for a minute but get real annoying after a while. Talk to you in a few.

xxpinballxx
11-20-06, 11:52 AM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/11/ps3grill.jpg
actually a gutted PS3 made into a grill!!

gothicaleigh
11-20-06, 02:27 PM
The PS3 scares me.

"The Wait Is Over"
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8123139799821669376&q=PS3+ad

PS3 Baby
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4580114028767298716&q=PS3+ad

Flower
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6754614579493837452&q=PS3+ad

Space
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6650558185675302782&q=PS3+ad

Or the ad on their site (remember to turn on the sound):
http://www.us.playstation.com/ps3

It's the monolith from 2001. The Cell processor will take over the world and make us it's slaves.

Stoneage_Caddy
11-20-06, 03:21 PM
Did you solder that HDD into the system? The HDD trick is just a software thing.

I read people installing 120GB HDD into their PS2s.

But either way 25 bucks beats 130 any day!

mine got the stock sony upgrade , back in the day it came with some final fantasy game , i fell for the proaganda that it would be like the XBOXs internal hard drive ....sadly sony decided to not continue support for it ....now i just use it as a place for all my memeory card data and pull the saves i want off the drive so i dont have ot keep buying memeory cards for my racing games ...the unit wont even fit in a slim ps2 ....

Blackout
11-20-06, 03:37 PM
So you have a HD-DVD with no HDMI giving you a weaker signal and less bandwidth? And that is better how?Who said it was better?

Is PS3 better then 360? Yes, how? Hardware, price for hardware, features, and expansion capabilities. Is 360 better then PS3? Yes, how? More games, units have more time in market and better support [no random fires anymore], more accessories, and bigger online market.Each system has their pro's and con's. For the 360 it's the lack of HDMI support but there was a picture of the 360 with a HDMI port but as far as I know nothing has been announced. BTW here's the pic and link to the thread about it
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=529543

http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/xbox360/hdmi/hdmiport_s400.jpg

Sony's issue is that they have always been the one's leading the pack and being the one's who are the inventive one's. But with this system all they have done is copy from everyone else. They lost the pressure sensitive buttons, rumble feature, but strangely enough as soon as Nintendo announced that the Wii-mote will have motion sensors then within a month I believe it was Sony announces they will have it as well. The Sony online market place is nothing but a copy of X-Box Live. Hell even on the Sony controller they have a button that you push that brings you to the market place just like Microsoft has. Sony has managed to lure a lot of people away from the PS3 from the year delay, to Japan getting a price drop, the European launch being delayed, the loss of many exclusive's and exclusive developers, lack of dev-kits, developers complaining that programming games is a pain in the ass, etc. So far games that are cross platformed from Madden 07, Tony Hawk Project 8, and comparing Sony's NBA '07 to 360's NBA 2k7 NBA 2k7 had a much better review. So far every game that has been on both systems the 360 has gotten better reviews. I know your going to come back and say well the PS3 is new. Who cares! Cross platforming is no big deal now adays and when Sony was asked as to how they felt about the cross platformed sporting games wouldn't look any better then that of the 360's they were kinda pissed about this whole thing so I guess thats why Sony is going to start and make their own games such as NBA '07

Sony might fail, shoot plenty or betting they will. Just on the things I've seen, and read from various different sites either bashing or supporting, make me believe they will succeed. Their fanbase alone is enough to give them a running start.Japan is their biggest selling point and with only having 100k units for launch 4 days after the launch they still hadn't sold out! Japan is more excited about the Wii then the PS3. So when Sony's biggest selling market can't even sell out 100k units that's telling you something.

SpeedyArizona
11-20-06, 04:18 PM
Japan is their biggest selling point and with only having 100k units for launch 4 days after the launch they still hadn't sold out! Japan is more excited about the Wii then the PS3. So when Sony's biggest selling market can't even sell out 100k units that's telling you something.

Okay I'm not getting into this but I just want to point out that the US is the biggest Sony market, not Japan. Japan is controlled by Nintendo, they love EVERYTHING Nintendo. Sony is still very prevelant in Japan but they sell more tv's and other electronics than they do gaming consoles. The US is the biggest consumer of Sony brand electronics, not Japan.

Okay....lets keep on going guys;).

gothicaleigh
11-20-06, 04:54 PM
Japan is their biggest selling point and with only having 100k units for launch 4 days after the launch they still hadn't sold out! Japan is more excited about the Wii then the PS3. So when Sony's biggest selling market can't even sell out 100k units that's telling you something.

From the last thread:

For Japan being their biggest market and there only being 100,000 units they've only sold a little bit over 88,000 units in two days. I guess the Japanese are waiting for the Wii instead. BTW my report about there supposedly only being 80k units because of a diode issue were false. My bad

Sony plans to ship 6 million PS3s in the fiscal year ending in March, but right now the demand for the game consoles seems to be outstripping supply. In big cities across Japan, several retailers said they were in the dark about how the initial 100,000 PS3s would be divvied up among stores. Within hours of their release, the consoles had sold out.
<snip>

Bic Camera [an electronics mega-store in Japan] said it had never had so many people turn up for the launch of a new product—not even the PS3's predecessor, PlayStation 2.

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...112_045318.htm

:gothicaleigh:

So which is it?

gothicaleigh
11-20-06, 05:09 PM
strangely enough as soon as Nintendo announced that the Wii-mote will have motion sensors then within a month I believe it was Sony announces they will have it as well.

Don't you think it would be rather hard for them to reverse-engineer it into the hardware and games already far into development if they were simply doing it to "me too" Nintendo?

I think Sony snickered when Nintendo made their "big" announcement and then revealed the feature right before production to take the wind out of Nintendo's sails.

So far games that are cross platformed from Madden 07, Tony Hawk Project 8, and comparing Sony's NBA '07 to 360's NBA 2k7 NBA 2k7 had a much better review. So far every game that has been on both systems the 360 has gotten better reviews. I know your going to come back and say well the PS3 is new. Who cares! Cross platforming is no big deal now adays and when Sony was asked as to how they felt about the cross platformed sporting games wouldn't look any better then that of the 360's they were kinda pissed about this whole thing so I guess thats why Sony is going to start and make their own games such as NBA '07

Games engineered with the 360 in mind and then quickly ported to meet the PS3 release. Mark my words, it will improve in the next generation.

Sony has managed to lure a lot of people away from the PS3 from the year delay, to Japan getting a price drop, the European launch being delayed, the loss of many exclusive's and exclusive developers, lack of dev-kits, developers complaining that programming games is a pain in the ass, etc.

Many of the "problems" you outlined here is an echo of the PS2 release.
...and we all know what a miserable failure that was. ;)

Blackout
11-20-06, 05:32 PM
Okay I'm not getting into this but I just want to point out that the US is the biggest Sony market, not Japan.You should have stayed out of this because that was the dumbest thing I have ever heard

Blackout
11-20-06, 05:34 PM
From the last thread:

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...112_045318.htm

:gothicaleigh:

So which is it?I dunno

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?GXHC_gx_session_id_=fcb6a8a6da2353ea&pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&col=969048863851&c=Article&cid=1163415725976&call_pageid=968350072197

Thne you also have
http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/nov2006/gb20061114_767472.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index _businessweek+exclusives

Blackout
11-20-06, 05:39 PM
Don't you think it would be rather hard for them to reverse-engineer it into the hardware and games already far into development if they were simply doing it to "me too" Nintendo?Kinda like them originally having dualshock and pressure sensitive buttons but once they got a lawsuit for copyright infringement they hopped on the motion sensor wagon since Nintendo announced it around the sametime as their lawsuit.

I think Sony snickered when Nintendo made their "big" announcement and then revealed the feature right before production to take the wind out of Nintendo's sails.I fail to see how it would take the wind out of Nintendo's sails by waiting until the Wii launch to announce that they want to be like the Wii

Games engineered with the 360 in mind and then quickly ported to meet the PS3 release. Mark my words, it will improve in the next generation.Games are engineered for the 360 and then ported over to the PS3. Look at Ubisoft with Rainbow Six: Las Vegas. They came out and said that their games are made for the 360 and that they are then ported over to the PS3 meaning that they have the 360 as their console of choice to build games for. But like you said they could switch over later on quite easily.

gothicaleigh
11-20-06, 06:06 PM
No matter what the politics are, these are the games I want to play:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1213349686582961940&q=PS3+ad

gary88
11-20-06, 06:14 PM
I can't wait until Wednesday. Free full length HD movies and TV shows avaliable to download through xbox live :)

SpeedyArizona
11-20-06, 06:31 PM
You should have stayed out of this because that was the dumbest thing I have ever heard

Statistics speak for themselves.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_e.html

2006/09/30 111.25 million units (Japan: 23.99 million/ USA: 44.86 million/ Europe: 42.40 million)

These are the production shipments of the PS2. As you can see only 24 million PS2 consoles have been sold in Japan compared to 45 million in the United States. So while you may think it's dumb, it's also true.

Murphyg
11-20-06, 07:00 PM
Okay I'm not getting into this but....................

Dohhhhhh

:welcome:

SpeedyArizona
11-20-06, 07:41 PM
Dohhhhhh

Bad Homer, bad Homer...no doughnuts for you;).

railven
11-20-06, 07:42 PM
Okay I'm too lazy to go back and quote everything, plus my break is only 30 minutes.

Today, with modern games, it is by far the hardest time for ANY developer to cross platform a game. If you know anything about consoles/PC you'd realize that every system is different in terms of:
resources, hardware, CPU cycles, API instructions, memory bandwidth, etc etc.

If it were so easy to cross-platform games explain this to me, why do Mac's still lack a strong gaming library?

Secondly, each system has a new unique control. Sure a developer can half ass something and make the process simple, but then they'll loose support. You need to take the features of a system and implement them. Valve did it with the HDR lighting system using the new graphic pixel shaders available in ATI/NVIDIA units.

Yeah, by your logic you'd use the exact same code for PS3 and X-Box 360 and Wii even though they each have different outputs. And if they are using the 360 as the base model then they are not using the PS3 to its full potentional and poor Wii is going to get hit by a huge bottleneck.

You said it yourself "ports." Anyone who games knows a port will always handle horribly on the system it is ported too. Use a great example of emulation. Why can't a system with high end hardware not run a PS1 game as smooth as a PS1 without it having to use almost all its cycles? because of the code and the way the games were coded. But cross-platforming is so easy.

Porting is easier then from the ground-up coding but it isn't just "change the header and footer" kind of thing. You need to address basically everything.

Anyways, so if these games scored higher on the 360 it is because they were coded for the 360. Go look at the articles when the 360 first launched and the horrible reviews it got for the games that were ported over. Didn't 360 get better as the games were developed native to it? Yeah, they did.

Japan is the gaming nation of the world. It has a large strong fan base for both Nintendo and Sony but really no love for Microsoft. It favors Nintendo over Sony, which is true. But Sony will outsell Microsoft in Japan. The US/Europe is the major battle. If Microsoft scores the US, which it hasn't yet, it can then relax but it knows Sony still owns most of the market share.

Okay time to check if I missed anything.

Oh yeah the Wii-mote and the six-axis remote. Goth present a good arguement. Ask yourself, what came first the chicken or the egg? If you look at the time periods when the Wii-mote was introduced versus the new six-axis you'd have to ask yourself "how the hell did Sony make a working device and have a demo/game ready showing how it works in such short time." Everyone is saying Sony copied Nintendo because Nintendo announced their first. What if Sony announced their first, would we be hearing Nintendo copied Sony? I doubt it.

Microsoft's LiveMarket is nothing new my friend. I've been able to download songs, movies, games, and various other things for the last four or five years without Microsoft's LiveMarket. So how can you say Microsoft's was the original? Oh wait using that article I read [paraphrase] "wow everyone gives Microsoft innovation skills for giving console gamers things PC gamers have been doing for the last ten or so years." Example he listed where online gaming, voice communication via headsets, and content downloads. Which is true. Microsoft hasn't done nothing new so to say that anyone is copying them lacks any merit. If you do your history on Bill Gates he's been known to copy other people's code and pass it as his own.

SpeedyArizona
11-20-06, 08:01 PM
Japan is the gaming nation of the world. It has a large strong fan base for both Nintendo and Sony but really no love for Microsoft. It favors Nintendo over Sony, which is true. But Sony will outsell Microsoft in Japan. The US/Europe is the major battle. If Microsoft scores the US, which it hasn't yet, it can then relax but it knows Sony still owns most of the market share.

Very True, Japan is the largest producer of electronics in the world but not necessarily the largest consumer. That title would belong to the great US of A. We love our gadgets but can't seem to produce anything that can touch the Japanese version (with exception to computers and MP3 players). Japan has technology that is 5-10 years ahead of what we have here.

Japan doesn't buy electronics produced anywhere except Japan. Thus is why they have such a strong economy. They export much more than they import.

Microsoft will never be popular in Japan. The Xbox and Xbox 360 are both great gaming consoles in their own right but will never be able to overthrow Sony is terms of popularity or technology. Nintendo has a huge and more importantly, LOYAL fan base in Japan even though Sony outsells it.

Sony has sold over 110,000,000 PS2's compared to the 25,000,000 Xbox's and 20,000,000 Gamecube's. The margin is huge and it'll be extremely difficult (if not impossible) for Microsoft to catch up.

railven
11-20-06, 08:06 PM
I'd like to contribute it to our social structure too.

I've known kids who own one, two, sometimes even three PS2s. Some of us, US of A'ers, can't share. Japanese families tend to share everything. One PS2 in the living for everyone.

In my household we have seven PS2s. My brother got one for his room, my girlfriend brought hers from her house - her father bought her brother a new one after she took it, and I have my original in a box collecting dust, my replacement PS2 that I use, my black Slim, and I just picked up a white slim. Why do we have all those if only like 2 of us seriously game? Because "what is mine is mine."

Haha.

White Slim looks weird...it needs a white PSP to keep it company on my shelf. Note this, the GameGear is a bit smaller then the PS-Slim. That is amazing, technology is freaking awesome!!!

Murphyg
11-20-06, 08:16 PM
Not wanting to get into it LOL....

Microsoft will never be popular in Japan.............The margin is huge and it'll be extremely difficult (if not impossible) for Microsoft to catch up.

But wouldnt it be argumentaly correct to say, that anything that is on line compatible is essentially microsoft ?

Key word being essentially.

Can almost guarantee that whatever system/s that are currently being made today have some sort of microsoft technology within them.

So when they loose they still win.

railven
11-21-06, 12:46 AM
No offense Murphy but that comment just blew my mind.

What? I'm still hurting trying to grasp that concept, are you implying that Microsoft invented the Internet/Online/WorldWideWeb/Protocol6?

That was Al Gore's father, man!

And Sony has always used OS's outside of Microsoft. They made their own for their Sony Ericsson, actually contracted someone but escapes me, cell phones as they did the same for PS2 and PSP. They are based off a Linux/Unix kernel and Microsoft hates the free world so you can say Sony is closer to an Apple then a Windows-Based system.

But the Intel Core Duo 2 may change all that.

This monitor sucks! With TV mounted downstairs I downgraded from a 32" HD-LCD @ 720p [1200x676] to some 19" Widescreen LCD @ 1440x900. I'm going to take it back and just get that stupid 21" this thing is puny!

DopeStar 156
11-21-06, 06:58 AM
You can't sway people, everyone has their brand loyalty......

What some people don't understand is the $500/$600 price tag on a PS3. The thing is that much for a reason, look what you're getting for all that, I'd say it's well worth the money. Remember when PS2 came out? It was the cheapest DVD player out there, well the PS3 is now the cheapest BluRay player you can buy, so if you get it for that, you've still saved money and gotten more out of the device. It's not solely a gaming system and shouldn't be thought of as one, it's so much more than that.....

gothicaleigh
11-21-06, 08:29 AM

What some people don't understand is the $500/$600 price tag on a PS3. The thing is that much for a reason, look what you're getting for all that, I'd say it's well worth the money. Remember when PS2 came out? It was the cheapest DVD player out there, well the PS3 is now the cheapest BluRay player you can buy, so if you get it for that, you've still saved money and gotten more out of the device. It's not solely a gaming system and shouldn't be thought of as one, it's so much more than that.....

:yeah:

railven
11-21-06, 09:24 AM

By far the simplest explaination, kudos!

Murphyg
11-21-06, 05:18 PM
No offense Murphy but that comment just blew my mind.

No offense taken railven.
Just throwin out some uneducated speculation.

Thanx for the tutorial :highfive:

Adam
11-21-06, 05:26 PM
i picked mine up saturday afternoon (paid 200 upfront and was gaurunteed a system). it is still in the box as i spent the weekend with my girlfriend and havent had a chance to get it hooked up yet. im happy i got one though. checked ebay and i seen one at not quite 3k bucks with a whole lot of bidders...

xxpinballxx
11-21-06, 05:35 PM
I got mine today. Been playing madden most of the day. Jay told me his manager thought about the incident over the Wii and wanted to compensate me for my troubles since i am such a good customer. I'm getting my Wii in a few weeks hopefully but they are going to give me the GT racing game and Zelda which they already told me i was going to get anyways. I think Jay hyped me up a bit...I do alot of special ordering from there on action figures.

Murphyg
11-21-06, 06:02 PM
....... I'm getting my Wii in a few weeks hopefully........

Let us know about the Wii.
Am considering getting one for the girls for Christmas.
They already have an Xbox (not the 360) and a Game Cube. So would like to know if it would really be worth while to get them the Wii.
Of the 2 they seem to gravitate more to there Game Cube.

railven
11-21-06, 07:47 PM
Nintendo will always appeal better to kids. Their gaming mechanics are the easiest to grasp, I felt like a retard when I first played Bounty Hunters on the DS...I was doing it wrong haha!

If you get them a Wii get them Super Monkey Ball, that game is tons of fun for the whole family. I can imagine how the Wii-mote will be required to manuver you poor monkey out of danger. I keep picturing those box mazes you'd but with the silver ball bearing and you turning the box trying to get the ball through the holes...that is how I'd picture playing super monkey ball on the Wii.

Blackout
11-21-06, 09:13 PM
Nintendo will always appeal better to kids.Exactly. All their games are kid oriented damn near. I still think Advance Wars was the best game they ever had for the GBA back when I had mine!

xxpinballxx
11-21-06, 09:27 PM
well they are going towards the adult buyers now with games like Call of Duty 3. They will have the hit adult games and then focus on the kids. Great for me I still act like a kid half the time.

railven
11-22-06, 01:13 AM
Haha half the time is an understatement for me, althought it isn't I should be proud of I guess.

I'll always be young at heart.

On a sad note, my PS2 Monster Component cables died today...sniff. But I saw why and a soldering iron should bring them back to life! WOOOT!!!

DopeStar 156
11-22-06, 01:33 AM
I'm gonna head out tomorrow and try again. A Toys R Us employee told me to try a few times this week........

railven
11-22-06, 01:50 AM
I just made an awesome Christmas List. I need to wake up at 3AM to get to Best Buy by 4AM and wait for it to open at 5AM and pray I can get everything on this list.

If I do its going to be AWESOME!

It be awesome if they had a freaking PS3 there too! I'd love for that haha!!!

Jesda
11-22-06, 04:21 AM
I just bought some PS2 games tonight, and I'm realizing now how crappy the game selection is outside of Grand Theft Auto and nerdy RPGs. I'll be picking up a Dreamcast this winter to replace the one I stupidly sold in 2002.

Also, EA sucks.

gothicaleigh
11-22-06, 06:49 AM
I just bought some PS2 games tonight, and I'm realizing now how crappy the game selection is outside of Grand Theft Auto and nerdy RPGs. I'll be picking up a Dreamcast this winter to replace the one I stupidly sold in 2002.

Also, EA sucks.

-Grand Theft Auto is over-hyped and not as good as fanboys make it out to be.

-EA bought Mythic, which makes Dark Age of Camelot. So only most of EA now sucks... :p (I also have a fondness for their SSX games)

Have you played ICO or Shadow of the Colossus? Two of the best games ever released for the system.

Blackout
11-22-06, 08:35 AM

Also, EA sucks.I wouldn't say EA sucks but their games haven't been as good as years past. The Madden games have if anything been taking a step back from what they used to be and I really miss Franchise mode where you had to make a profit by selecting ticket prices and all that other stuff and then with the money you made in profit you could upgrade the stadium. I thought that was really cool. But they jusy don't seem to pushing themselves that much anymore. But I hope you enjoy getting your Dreamcast back. Me and railven were talking about how much we love ours in another thread. I think the Dreamcast was probably the best system that bombed.

railven
11-22-06, 09:39 AM
I'd agree on the EA sucks statement to an extent. Their PC line up has been terrible in terms of out of the box experience. As long as they keep their patches I'll keep gaming their software. I usually wait a few weeks or until I know a patch is released before buying an EA game. I want Medal of Honor: Heroes for the PSP...but after playing whats that game...the virtual reality first person shooter...Coded Arms I don't think the PSP was designed for that genre. I think the DS, Metroid: Bounty Hunters, is perfect with the stylus!

SSX was a great franchise but what the hell happened with SSX: On Tour? That game pissed me off to a level I can't even explain! SSX 3 will always be my favorite.

The Dreamcast was by far the greatest system ever made! The line up was solid, the system looked niced, it had 4player support out the box, built into modem [yeah laugh but that was fast back then!], and the VMU was probably the coolest thing, I wish more developers actually used it.

My only serious complaints: Sega killed it, the VMU battery lasted probably a week or two, and the controller design killed my wrists after a few hours. Aside those, I think if Sega supported the DC and continued it we probably wouldn't have an X-Box.

xxpinballxx
11-22-06, 09:42 AM
Dreamcast was the best system and the one I play the most outside of the PSPS.
Anyone see the new Houswives PC game....they use cadillacs in it! The commercial shows a blue CTS and a cop car that has tail lights that look alot like the CTS.

railven
11-22-06, 09:49 AM
I saw the ad for the housewive's game but haven't seen any episodes so it didn't really catch my attention.

Gotham Project has the CTS-V, STS-V, and the XLR-V as playable cars. I picked that up with my 360 but so far I can't find them. Do I need to download them or unlock them? What the hell?

Crap not only did I answer my own question but scared myself. I hope Microsoft doesn't implement what EA and Sierra are trying with the online game ads.

I don't want to picture that world, not yet.

http://www.adweek.com/aw/iq_interactive/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002540600

xxpinballxx
11-22-06, 09:52 AM
there is a cadillac series in PGR that you have to go to xbox live to get.
The cars are available for free on Xbox Live Marketplace. Drivers who download the pack can compete for the Cadillac Elite Gamer Picture award - any Xbox Live competitor who places within the top 100 on the Nurburging F1 racetrack in any of the three Cadillac cars will get the elite gamer picture.
http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/0D6B10F6-EBE6-4967-82FC-2033681DA6B3/0/ilm005.jpg

railven
11-22-06, 10:08 AM
I just want a black STS-V to zoom around in.

I haven't activated my Online account. Since I didn't buy the wireless adapter I was trying to bridge it off my PS2 but it won't take it. Weird.

I think I'm just going to redo my network, plus I should check for a new firmware for my router, and re-assign IP's manually.

Hey Pinball do you know where I can get my MAC address for my 360? On the old one I could just go into the dash and go to network settings but I just can't find it on the 360.

EDIT: A breif description of my network to give a better idea why my 360 isn't linking.
I did a 2xwireless router set up. It is cheaper then buying one wireless receiver for each system and easier then just unplugging the system and connecting the next one over [I do my IP's manually for better connections via wireless]. I have my main router upstairs with my modem, D-Link DCM634, and my old one downstairs, D-Link DCM624. I turned the signal on to receive on the downstair ones using a firmware hack I found. I linked it and closed the connection so there is no outside interfering and unlisted my broadcast, I hate people pinging my server...you don't know my password stop pinging me, but the 360 won't show up on my list. I was wondering if I enter the MAC address manually will it force it, worked for the X-Box. Why is a PC based system so hard to network? PS2/GC both showed up fine on my first attempt.

xxpinballxx
11-22-06, 10:20 AM
Go to the System area of the Xbox Dashboard and select Network Settings.
Select Edit Settings. From Additional Settings, select Advanced Settings.
Its at the bottom of the page....

railven
11-22-06, 10:24 AM
I need to sit down and really spend some time with that box. With my PS2 out of commission, my PC monitor pissing me off, and my DS charging there is nothing to do at home between 1AM and 2AM.

Any word on a solid black 360? This bright white is clashing with my entertainment set. My girlfriend says its fine "white vs black" but it feels...wrong!

EDIT: Yeah I know I can use the standard A/V cables for my PS2 but after playing on component why would I? I'm not that desperate! Haha. I can't even play Gears of War. My disc is defective! I that special kid who was the .01% that got a defective game. Haha. No black STS-V to zoom around in.

xxpinballxx
11-22-06, 10:31 AM
haven't heard anything about a black one....
http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/
here is an option that I am thinking of since I airbrush alright.
It seems easy enough.

Blackout
11-22-06, 12:24 PM
Gotham Project has the CTS-V, STS-V, and the XLR-V as playable cars. I picked that up with my 360 but so far I can't find them. Do I need to download them or unlock them? What the hell?You have to download them and it's called the Cadilac Challenge pack. I got it when it was free but I dunno if you have tp pay money for them or not. If you do don't bother wasting your money on them because they suck in the game

Blackout
11-22-06, 12:26 PM
I haven't activated my Online account. Since I didn't buy the wireless adapter I was trying to bridge it off my PS2 but it won't take it. Weird.Use the ethernet port. A buddy of mine was doing that and he said he didn't have any problems with it

xxpinballxx
11-22-06, 12:27 PM
they are still free....do not handle the greatest. not the fastest either. cool to look at though.

Blackout
11-22-06, 02:03 PM
they are still free....do not handle the greatest. not the fastest either. cool to look at though.Yeah I downloaded the pack and when I saw their stats compared to the other cars in its class I didn't bother using them. I bought them and they're just chilling in my garage. The only Caddy i've used so far has been the Sixteen. It's fun for playing online with it for cat & mouse

gary88
11-22-06, 06:44 PM
I'm #32 on the CTS-V leaderboard :highfive:

PGR4 is already in the works, can't wait for that to come out. Also, Forza 2 comes out on February 2nd :worship::worship: It was supposed to be released earlier this month, but they decided to push it back to touch it up I assume.

xxpinballxx
11-22-06, 08:10 PM
no game competes with grand turismo in my book. I love that game...most realistic I htink. Oh I am drunk a bit too.....a little bit not much.....just been drinking since early...

railven
11-22-06, 08:17 PM
One post before my break ends!

Agree with pinball, GT-series is the shiz!

GT2 is my favorite and with Bleem you could run it on your Dreamcast at 640x480!!! It looked awesome!!!

HAHA!

GT4 was a disappointment, it wasn't leaps like the others.
GT 2 jumped walls compared to GT, and GT3 left orbit compared to GT2, but GT4 didn't get that past GT3 [IMO].

Back to work.

Blackout
11-22-06, 10:36 PM
Sorry but Forza > GT

gary88
11-22-06, 10:56 PM
Well, now I am really glad I didn't camp out for a PS3 to keep for myself

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/20/arts/20game.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

(http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/20/arts/20game.html?_r=1&oref=slogin)

dp102288
11-22-06, 11:11 PM
^^ Well written article. Good post.

DopeStar 156
11-23-06, 01:46 AM
Still looking.... Best Buy had a shipment of the 20G one but I walked away. I want the 60G. Anyone got any tips for me?

xxpinballxx
11-23-06, 01:59 AM
just keep calling and bugging the guys at the stores. The 20Gigs are all over the place. no one wants them and I don't blame them. Good news is this system may have been delayed but there are very few issues with them.

dp102288
11-23-06, 08:00 AM
Are you jsut checking Best Buy? If you didn't, call the other stores too (Walmart, Circuit City, etc...)

If you want one, get the 20 gig now, and when the 60 gig comes out, or within the return period, return the 20, and buy your 60. Or is that bad?

ewill3rd
11-23-06, 08:31 AM
Yeah, let me just rush out and buy one.
:D

Two armed thugs tried to rob a line of people waiting for the new PlayStation 3 game system to go on sale early Friday and shot one man who refused to give up his money, authorities said.

In Sullivan, Ind., a man was in critical condition after emergency surgery for a stab wound after he and a friend tried to rob two men of consoles they waited 36 hours in line to buy, police said.

Nationwide, short supplies of the PS3 and strong demand led to long lines of buyers, some waiting for days outside stores. Once the doors opened Friday, they pushed and shoved their way to the shelves in several cities to get at the limited supply. Two people were arrested in Fresno, Calif., after a crowd trampled people in a parking lot.

It was about 3 a.m. when the two gunmen in Putnam, a town of about 9,000 residents in northeast Connecticut, confronted 15 to 20 people standing outside a Wal-Mart store and demanded money, said State Police Lt. J. Paul Vance.

"One of the patrons resisted. That patron was shot," Vance said.

Vance said the gunmen fled after shooting Michael Penkala, 21, of Webster, Mass., in the chest and shoulder. Penkala was in stable condition at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester, Mass., with injuries not believed to be life-threatening, Vance said.

Police were searching for the suspects, both believed to be in their teens, Vance said. He said one was wearing a ski mask and brandishing a handgun, and the other had what appeared to be a shotgun.

About 30 miles away, another shopper was beaten and robbed of his new PlayStation 3 just minutes after he bought it at a store in Manchester, police said.

The shopper told police five men surrounded and beat him as he left the Shoppes at Buckland Hills.

Police Sgt. Chris Davis said the attackers pushed one of their cohorts out of the car as they drove away. That man, a 17-year-old from Windsor, was charged with robbery, larceny, assault and breach of peace.

Four other teenagers were arrested, and more arrests were expected, police told WTNH-TV late Friday.

Andrew Templeton, 20, and David Wiggins, 28, of Sullivan, Ind., were assaulted by two teens after waiting for 36 hours at a Super Wal-Mart, police said.

They were unloading their PlayStation 3s from their car when two teens approached them carrying a chain and a tire iron and demanding their consoles, said Sullivan Police Chief David Story.

A fight broke out. Wiggins' nose was broken, and he stabbed one of the attackers, Dylan Moss, 19, police said. Moss was in critical condition after surgery, officials said.

Sullivan County Prosecutor Bob Springer said he plans to charge Moss and accomplice Dustin ***g, 19, with felony robbery.

Elsewhere, two men wearing black ski masks and sunglasses made off with five consoles after holding two employees at gunpoint at an Englewood, Ohio, video game store Thursday night, police said.

A Pennsylvania teenager was also robbed of his new PlayStation by a man who tapped on his car window with a handgun in Allentown, police said.

In Lexington, Ky., someone fired BB pellets from a passing vehicle at people waiting outside a Best Buy store, according to WKYT, whose own reporter said she was among four people grazed while she interviewed buyers in line.

Police fired a talcum powder ball at the ground outside a Target store in Henrico, Va., to get the attention of an unruly crowd of about 350 people who were waiting to buy one of the shop's eight consoles, police said.

In McLean, Va., police fired pepper pellets Friday morning to subdue a rowdy crowd of about 200 people outside a Circuit City store at Tysons Corner Center mall. One person complained of shortness of breath after the pellets were fired and was taken to the hospital, authorities said.

A Best Buy store in Boston, aware it had only 140 of the consoles, got smart about the big sale - its employees gave out tickets to the first 140 people in line so everyone could go home until the store opened.

I play games on my PC or my Sega Genesis.. if I have time.
... which I don't.
I am too busy spending all my free time posting on car forums.
I don't understand why folks are shooting and stabbing eachother and beating the holey moley out of eachother over a game console.
I understand wanting one.
Dopestar, my advice would be..... just wait, a little bit of patience will give you what you want and probably for a better price.
Or you could always just go door to door looking for someone who has one and shoot them and take it home. That seems to be what a lot of folks would do.
;)
(that was a joke, a bad one, I didn't mean for you to actually do it)

Blackout
11-23-06, 08:46 AM
Good news is this system may have been delayed but there are very few issues with them.I would go that far. Well I went to go and get my haircut yesterday and while I was waiting the manager of the local EB Games comes in and sits down next to me and we start chatting about this and that and then I ask him how the launch went for the PS3 at the store and he said they had 10 reserves and no big issues but one guy tried to bribe him for one for $100. So then I started asking him questions about it and if he's played it and he said he has one and isn't too thrilled with it. He was saying that he's been looking forward to the system since it was first announced and since he was management he got to reserve on a long time ago. But he got it and brought it home and was saying that he wasn't impressed at all. He was pissed because not only does it not come with HDMI cables but it doesn't even come with component cables as well and he went on to say that the Sony HDMI cable is $60. But he was expecting huge improvements over the 360 and was saying that if anything he prefers the 360 over the PS3. He said he didn't really like the Sixaxis controller either and felt that it was too sensitive. But he was saying that there have been reports from other stores with people complaining of their systems over heating and freezing and in some cases the fans not working at all. He was saying he just got off from work and they had a conference call with a bunch of stores and all of them were complaining about the system overheating and freezing up in the display cases. He said that their display case has 2 fans on the bottom of it blowing cold air in and their's has consistently froze. He's been telling people to not bother with the system at this point and to save a few bucks and just get a Wii and a 360. He said he loves his Wii and loves the Zelda game for it. So then we parted ways and wished each other a happy thanksgiving and I headed over to the opposite side of the parking lot to Wal-Mart to pick up a gift card for my sister's B-Day since she's up at school and does all of her shopping at the Wal-Mart up there. So I figured while I was there I would check out their PS3 display and sure as shit I walk up to it and they had Motorstorm up on the screen and what do ya know.....IT WAS FROZEN! BTW here's a video of the frozen PS3 that I took with my cell phone. Just in advance sorry about the crappy resolution. Cell phone camera don't have the best resolution but when google video stretches it out even more it just makes it even worse.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2330733596239188419

DopeStar 156
11-23-06, 10:38 AM
Or you could always just go door to door looking for someone who has one and shoot them and take it home. That seems to be what a lot of folks would do.

Actually.........

xxpinballxx
11-23-06, 11:11 AM
Ive been to three displays all with the same game and not one frozen. talking with the guys working at them said they have had no problems. I never expected it to be a huge improvement over the 360 or anyone I know of expect a huge difference. The games that have come out so far are really not testinf the console either. the cables are something we all knew from the get go so no one should be pissed to find them not included unless you didnt do any research before buying it. the over heating IO think was expected after the 360 launch.....not sure what they will do about it....a small fan is probably the best bet. THe controller isn't great I would rather have the rumble as opposed to the motion sensitive controller. Im just waiting for better games.....madden looks sweet and NBA is awesome but not really pushing the limits...MGS will be the defining factor in how I feel about it.

railven
11-23-06, 01:30 PM
I'm exhausted and tired but I got a few things to say!

My cousin, that SOB, got both a Wii and PS3 because his skank of a step-mother is sleeping with some dude at Best Buy, least I believe not 100% sure or maybe I'm just jealous and making stuff up.

Regardless soon as I heard I booked it over to his place, this morning showing up at his house roughly 1AM after work, and we gamed probably till 11AM.

He got Super Monkey Ball, totally not what I expected in terms of the game play but the control is so sensitive it makes it very edgie. I dropped my monkey enough times to have PETA on me. The game is a riot with good company but just like the first monkey balls it gets tiresome.

Excite Truck blows, I start drifting and power sliding better as I got use to the game but the graphics are really irritating. It doesn't have have a Mario Sunshine polish but aside that the game is still rather lacking for me.

Red Steel is just plain awesome! I wish it had better graphics but this game does a great job at demostrating the potentional the Wii-mote has in it. I was hacking and slashing in no time. The aimer on the machine gun is again way to sensitive. But after a while you get use it.

Note on all of these games he wouldn't let me adjust the sensitivity settings as he had gotten them just the way he wanted.

Then he unveiled the PS3, what I've been wanting since it was announced. I sat down and gamed on Fall: Resitence of Man and the game is just gorgeous. [Note I haven't really been playing my 360 so my words are used when compared to a GC/PS2/XBOX]. If this is the next step of console gaming then bring it! It had jaggies, I notice them regardless what system, but again not enough to make me cringe, like the jaggies on FFXII...I get so angry sometimes haha. The control was stiff at first and I'm a PC FPSer so it took a while to get use to them. A lot easier then Killzone though. Once I got it I started going guns a blazing. I noticed some slowdown on large gun fights but it wasn't enough to make me say anything. I experience slowdown on my PC but thats normal with gaming at higher resolutions. The weaponary was great, just what I'd expect from Insomniac. The enemies AI wasn't too impressive, not FEAR quality, but enough to make me duck for cover a few times.

He loaded up Motor Storm and we went head to head. My first impression of the game is still the same. It looks great, the canyons look nice, and the textures on the cars look good, the reflections are well done, the jaggy count is low but the shadows are still blobs. After the race started it up I had no problems. Aside the controls being a bit loose, arcade style, the learning curve for taking a good turn, turn into it then boost out of it to not loose speed, was easy and I stopped falling off ledges early. The game was fun but still not a must for me.

We ended the night playing NBA 07, I'm not a huge basketball fan, but the graphics were very nice. I loved the flowing animations on the shorts and jersies. I loved the sound, first thing I noticed was the dribbling. I remember him playing NBA 2k1 on my DC for hours and the screeching of the sneakers wasn't very realistic in this game it was. I got bored and watched him play a few games before I complained enough to let me play some more Fall: Resistence of Man.

We olayed on the PS3 for about five or six hours with no problems. Not once did the system get too hot to touch. It never froze. It isn't as loud as some people claimed it was, I'd even say it sounsd quieter then my PS2. I still think the machine is ugly as hell and now being able to hold it and look at it I guess it is growing on me. I know where I'd love to put it on my new stand.

I was impressed by the system. After reading that article that Gary88 posted I couldn't care about an online market on day 1 of the release. I had no problem hooking up my controller for the few seconds to synch it to the machine. After it was synched we didn't have to stop to resynch or get any of those pesky "controller not found" errors. We were sitting probably 10 to 15 feet from the system. The Six Axis on Motor Storm made the game a lot harder to play. It helps on the motorcycles to pivot and take sharper turns a lot. I don't know what it served for Fall: Resistence of Man because I was tossing the controll around as I played and didn't notice anything> He said you use it with certain weapons but I mostly had a machine gun and few greneades most of the time.

I'm even more eager to get my hands on one. I will probably spend this weekend playing on the 360 so then I can create a better judgement.

Oh on a side note, I had my cousin pop in Gun [a port to 360] and then Perfect Dark [built native to the 360] and Gun looked like crap. It was definately not next gen when compared to Perfect Dark. Perfect Dark actually looked great, and after playing it for a few I think Fall was better but it was just to take into consideration both games where available on each console on day of release and coded native for the systems my vote was for Fall and the PS3 versus Perfect Dark and the 360. Anyways, the port of Gun was terrible, just as bad as the copy I owned for PS2. It looked cleaner then what I remember Gun for PS2 looking but no where near as clean and high-res as Perfect Dark.

I want Perfect Dark now, haha.

Okay my long ass post is done. I wish he had Untold Legends but he isn't an RPGer.

axnguyen
11-23-06, 02:00 PM
Nice review! Makes me wonder if I should take my listing down from Ebay and just play that damn PS3...

railven
11-23-06, 03:24 PM
I'm so screwed! I spent the night at my cousin's and then drove to my house to get my girlfriend. Since I'm working she's taking my Caddy to show off at her family's dinners. She enjoys showing off even though I feel we should be modest or it will bit us in the ass.

So I got my mom's Civic drove to work only to realize I have to be at work tomorrow at 12PM! DAMN! And I'm going gift shopping from 5AM to well I guess till work.

So tired. I wanna play some more Fall; Resistence of Man. I just might get Untold Legends and bribe him to come to my place with his shiney PS3!

Or do as someone suggested and if the 20GB is at the store snatch it then resell it when a 60GB becomes available.

TIRED!

SHOOT ME!!!

HAPPY BIRD DAY!

xxpinballxx
11-23-06, 05:09 PM
I agree railven i love the Fall and really cant wait for MSG4! Should really push the graphics card on this thing. I'm having trouble positioning all these things on my shelving....I got to build another shelf!
THe game Gears of War is a great game but the premise is just another killzone or halo type of game.
I just bought it today and have been playing that today along with THP8

railven
11-23-06, 05:24 PM
What system you get THP8 for?

I haven't had time to even stop by Best Buy to get my exchange. I called the manager and told him my problem. Because of he Holiday season I sort of expect all the copies of the collector's edition to sell fast but he promised me they'd hold a copy for me until Saturday. He took my name and phone number so I'm resting a bit easier. Probably get it while at the store tomorrow.

Everyone I know who has it has hyped it a lot but then again everyone I knew hyped Black to hell and back and I saw the game at Wal-Mart for 20 bucks with no "Greatest Hit/Platinum Game" badge with indicates to me it wasn't very good and sold terribly. I'll give my summary on it when I finally sit down and play the damn game.

Hey you try any of the online features yet? I doubt I'd spend much time on their online market until they release tons of games but curious as to how its presented, good or bad.

xxpinballxx
11-23-06, 05:52 PM
i got it for 360 since they didnt have it for the PS3 and would you believe I wanted it for the PSP too and the guy said we got it in the back but havent gotten to it yet. I thought okay go back and find it...then he said I should check back in the next couple days. I also read an atricle about Best Buy hold the Wiis back so there is enough on friday to fullfill the customers demands. Thats some bad sh*t right there. Having and telling customers to come back later to get it. even as far as saying we wont have them till friday!

xxpinballxx
11-23-06, 05:55 PM
I havent gotten time to hook it up yet online....I will be doing it this weekend though for sure just to browse around and see what its got now....

railven
11-23-06, 06:11 PM
You are the second person to say that to me. My cousin told me the same, his girlfriend works at the Best Buy in Cambridge.

His story was that all Best Buys in the area got between 30 and 40 PS3 and on the Wii date they got between 60 and 80 units. Of the PS3's they sold 30 units and the Wii's 64 [this was mandated for all stores] and they held the rest back. On Tuesday they got a second shipment but only sold 10 PS3s [20GBs] and 20 Wii's. She didn't know how many units they got total of each but they held some back for Friday. She told him they do this to increase their sales on that day.

They might have done the same for THP8 for certain systems anticipating it to be a good item.

While I was waiting in line at Best Buy one of the managers walked by and told the those in the back of the line, me and a group of four others, that we should tell anyone else to not bother waiting because they only got 34 units. Then another manager walked by and told everyone they only got 30 units. That is the only reason I stayed hoping they'd at least get 31 units.

Those bastards!

I don't get why they'd do that since regardless what day you sell it that is still a sale.

I just got the call from my friend he fixed my component cable for my PS2 wooot!! I got to learn how to solder better my attempts at modding my first PS yieled some bad results haha.

Murphyg
11-23-06, 06:46 PM
Those bastards!

I don't get why they'd do that since regardless what day you sell it that is still a sale.

Basicly is a form of marketing.
Anything to get someone with money into the store.
You didnt get what you came for, but did you buy something else ?
People will come to a store in hopes of a perticular item. And if that item is not there, the odds are in favour of the house that they will still puchase something.
And then sell that perticular item the next day.

Yes you are right.
They are bastards.
But it does work and they know it.

railven
11-23-06, 07:08 PM
I'd understand that if they advertised it.

"PS3 and Wii's on Friday! First come first serve" but after looking at the Best Buy fliers there is no mention of the PS3/Wii on them. I heard people are camping out already at the Best Buy I frequent...I wonder why? Did they catch wind of something?

I'm going to pick up a few things as gifts for family/friends so If they have one while I'm there DIBS! haha.

[It must work I ended up getting a 360 because they didn't have a PS3 when I waited in line.]

Blackout
11-23-06, 08:22 PM
Well I found the end all article when it comes to PS3 vs. 360. It's a long read but it's well worth it

http://dpad.gotfrag.com/portal/story/35372/?spage=1

railven
11-23-06, 08:35 PM
Haha I'd love to read it, but its blocked by my job's firewall.

Guess I'll read it either tomorrow unless someone wants to attach the HTML files haha.

And I doubt it would be the end all. Depending the angle and spin anything could be argued as it will still come down to personal opinion.

railven
11-23-06, 08:49 PM
Damn I can't even load the article but I already found forums tearing that report apart.

So tell me, why would they compare a game console CPU to a desktop CPU? I'm pretty sure who ever was brilliant enough to write a 11 page review would understand the differences between architectures? Did he bench the 360/PS3 CPU's using what? Winstone? HAHA. Hey go get a Motorola RAZR V3 phone and bench it on Winstone I doubt it would score higher then a DX486 50MHz but I'll tell you right now the cell phone CPU is probably faster in theory and the applications it was designed to run.

So just still talking about the short info I read about the article pertaining to the CPU's. A multi-cored system doesn't fair well in direct competition to a single core CPU? Wait? WHAT? So why is Intel still selling hyperthreading CPUs and moving over to quad-cores? Oh shit I just blew my mind!

The subject about the Blu-Ray drive delivering less content per tick then the 360's DVD drive.

Do I have to?

LOL!

Go bench a DVD drive versus a CD drive. They are both different speeds, but the DVD will out perform, per tick, any CD drive you'd find - well unless its a SCSI.

Okay, so he may be right that the system itself poses a bottleneck in terms of its actual hardware, maybe the PS3 can't move the content of the Blu-Ray, but I don't know exactly how he tested.

This will be an interesting read.

I just copied the URL that Blackout posted and Yahoo/Googled it and then read some of the forums discussing it. I'm glad there are still people out there that don't read everything at face value.

[My apologies I was a total ass in that response. I wasn't aiming to offend anyone, specifically not you Blackout. I just feel everyone is going head over heals to disrupt any momentum the PS3 can gain. Just remember they did this to the 360 upon launch and it proved tons of people wrong. So PS3 just might do the same, or crash and burn. With the hardware still relatively new and any code offered using the software still infant you can't seriously say the system is lacking until developers code better for it.

And on a side note, to anyone, you know why the 360 is easy to code for? It uses DirectX9 API features. A feature set that has been around since what? The last five or so years. EPIC, makers of Gears of War, themselves said in a press release that they felt that coding for the 360 simple to transition from the PC world. So these developers had years of experience before the system even came out. Hey I guess that deserves a pat on the back. The PS2 had a very frustrating dev kit upon release even Hideo Kojima expressed his frustration when coding MGS2 but he followed through and delivered the best T.E.A. series I've ever played, screw Sam Fisher and Ubisoft's clone or even Sony's Gabe and their Syphoning Filter. The PS2 still went out to dominate the gaming world.]

Murphyg
11-23-06, 09:02 PM
Wow :alchi:
So how many are getting these Ps3s :confused:

Caddykid started this and from what I can see hes only posted twice here.
Is it ready for the chat forum yet. Or maybe the telephone.
Can anyone say live online or cell maybe. :duck: :blah: :blah:

Oh god im in trouble now:tsucks:

:grouphug: :getaway:

Blackout
11-23-06, 09:47 PM
railven the guy wasn't comparing the the consoles CPU to desktop's CPU he was just saying as to how they are different and all sorts of other stuff. I would say before you go off what people are saying on other forums I would say to wait until you get home and read it yourself. You seem to be a pretty knowledgeable guy when it comes to this stuff and from what I read the guy seemed to be coming from a neutral standpoint and pointed out positives and negative for both consoles. He seemed to prefer the 360's setup compared to the PS3's though because by the way he was talking it was easier to program like you said and all sorts of other stuff. But i would say check it out when you get home. It really is a good read

railven
11-23-06, 09:57 PM
I will Blackout. Excuse me if I jumped to any short conclusions.

On a side note I found a few forums discussing loading speeds. I'd love to bench a CLV drive but unfortunately I don't even know if they make any, outside of Blu-Ray. I got to check that out and see if I can score one then bench it versus a traditional CAV drive.

Damn I'm suppose to be looking at Christmas gifts not nerd stuff. Sigh... le girlfriend shall be mad.

Her brother is coming over for the weekend time to do some head-2-head GPR!!!

[Wish my Gears of War was working, heard it had a decent CO-OP mode.]

Hey would Halo 2 work out of the box or would I need a patch? I mean is the newer 360's prepatched? Just curious I can always toss that into it.

OMG I broke it! My brain! So it seems only DVD replicators bring a CLV drive, due to their "blazing fast writing speeds versus same CAV models." But I found this and I just had to share it, probably not new but I never bothered checking before:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827154038

And on a side note, ATI and NVIDIA both announced HDCP capable video cards so we'll see HD/Blu DVD's playable onc omputers sometime soon but expect to pay a premium for such a feature. Once PC's get involved just wait for the piracy to begin.

Blackout
11-23-06, 10:10 PM
I can't remember if i played mine before or after the patch. But I believe you can play it without the patch. I think the patch was for online use only as far as I can remember.

dp102288
11-24-06, 08:43 AM
Blu-Ray drive...only $900!

:leaving:

xxpinballxx
11-24-06, 04:45 PM
Halo 2 works but not online without patch.....blackout is right.
Gears of war is an awesome co-op game. Don;t really think its as fun by yourself.....you gotta try it Rail.

xxpinballxx
11-24-06, 04:52 PM
wonder why they chose to take 360's?
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/11/23/thieves_pinch_xbox_360/

Blackout
11-24-06, 05:40 PM
wonder why they chose to take 360's?
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/11/23/thieves_pinch_xbox_360/I guess they don't really pay attention to current video game events. They're probably back at their hideout celebrating "YEAH!!!! WERE GOING TO MAKE SO MUCH MONEY ON EBAY WITH THESE THINGS SINCE IT WAS JUST RELEASED!!!!"

Blackout
11-24-06, 05:42 PM
Halo 2 works but not online without patch.....blackout is right.
Gears of war is an awesome co-op game. Don;t really think its as fun by yourself.....you gotta try it Rail.I haven't played GOW online yet but I've been hearing some promising news about its co-op mode. But the single player game is quite good. My only complaint is that when you start the game up you have no idea as to what is going on and I figured as your progress through the game the story would unfold but it never happened. Turns out that to find out about what happened and how all these things are running wild you have to read about it in the instruction manual. I thought that was kinda lame

xxpinballxx
11-24-06, 06:04 PM
yeah theres not much prelude or backstory....just thrown into fighting stuff with no idea what they are or where they came from......awesome weapons though....love the gun with the chainsaw on the front works good....the berserkers are a hoot!

Blackout
11-24-06, 06:38 PM
yeah theres not much prelude or backstory....just thrown into fighting stuff with no idea what they are or where they came from......awesome weapons though....love the gun with the chainsaw on the front works good....the berserkers are a hoot!The gun with the chainsaw was cool when doing the melee attack with all the blood all over the screen. But I preferred the other machine gun instead because when there were multiple enemies around it was better to just swat them with the gun instead of waiting for the chainsaw to get going

xxpinballxx
11-24-06, 07:19 PM
whats the one thats the light of dawn or something wierd like that...almost like painting a target for air attacks!

gary88
11-24-06, 07:49 PM
whats the one thats the light of dawn or something wierd like that...almost like painting a target for air attacks!

The hammer of dawn, quite the weapon :D

Murphyg
11-24-06, 07:58 PM
Think Ive got to unsubscribe to this thread.
Im starting to feel a little uncomfortable. Threes' a crowd is the saying isnt it :peeking:
I know this is the lounge and is for non cadillac discussion.
But wow guys :vomit:

Get a room already
:postpics:

LMAO :histeric: :histeric:

railven
11-24-06, 11:04 PM
What is that guy Murphyg babbling about?

Anyways, I got Gears of War up and running. Been playing with my girlfriend's brother. Got the 360 at 1080i hooked into my surround sound and the game is amazing, but what else would you expect from the Unreal 3.0 engine?

Anyways I noticed a few moments of lag, big gun fights, and sometimes the textures load off key [get a box with no texture then bam it pops in ala Halo 2]

The learning curve is a bit huge, I'm not a fan of the camera angle which it was directly behind me, but over all the game is sweet. Us trying to keep each other alive is leading to some awesome team work.

I suck at the aiming, haha I need more practice with it.

Murphyg
11-25-06, 12:19 AM
[Am I babbling again.

LMFAO

Murphyg
11-25-06, 12:34 AM
Sorry for messin with yas that way guys.
Totally uncalled for.
Deleted the last thread.

just sittin and laughin bout something I dont have a clue about; and shouldnt be doin that at the expense of almost strangers.

I appoligize

Cheers

gary88
11-25-06, 12:35 AM
Here's a pic for 'ya Murphy :thumbsup:

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/2817/dsc07038kv8.jpg

Murphyg
11-25-06, 12:38 AM
Here's a pic for 'ya Murphy :thumbsup:

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/2817/dsc07038kv8.jpg

Thanx Gary.
was hopin I dropped it before it was read.

But love the pic.
Thats the sentiment

axnguyen
11-25-06, 07:50 AM
GoW is amazing online - tons of fun getting together with three buddies in one room and just annihilating the other team.

fast66
11-25-06, 11:15 AM
GOW is a great game but the multiplayer needs to be fixed soon.

Team deathmatch is getting reeaaaaal boring...especially with 4 vs 4.

my fav part is playing coop campaign online with someone else.
It sucks playing alone cause the AI is really stupid, especially with the guys on your side.

I didnt know it ran the Unreal engine though...

xxpinballxx
11-25-06, 04:14 PM
I had a glitch occur about an hour ago.....
you know where you have to lure the beserker outside right?
I was looking out of the building into a blank sky. I kept looking around and then just started walking through the walls and whatever else I walked into and at the end of the building there was eternity again!
Saved game and then went back to last checkpoint and it was cleared up.....
meant to take a pic but was too worried about the game being screwed up.

axnguyen
11-25-06, 04:27 PM
GOW is a great game but the multiplayer needs to be fixed soon.

Team deathmatch is getting reeaaaaal boring...especially with 4 vs 4.

my fav part is playing coop campaign online with someone else.
It sucks playing alone cause the AI is really stupid, especially with the guys on your side.

I didnt know it ran the Unreal engine though...

Agreed. Me and some buddies just put together a 'clan' and are gonna play on the GoW ladder at www.gamebattles.com. It should make things a little more interesting for now.:bouncy:

xxpinballxx
11-25-06, 04:34 PM
points for that link ax. I gotta get some guys together now...
How does that work exactly....

railven
11-25-06, 05:29 PM
Okay I've had some time to play the 360 and I'll give Microsoft their props. The OS for the 360 is beautiful. Clean, easy to navigate, I love the interfaces [wisH I could do more customization not just two colors and a texture but no biggie.]

GoW's is something nice. As I was playing with my friend he and I both realized something:

This is Ghost Recon done over. The need to work with your partner, cover fire, everything done to timing your attacks and looking for advantages in the battlefield.

After we both realized that it took away from the games "genuine" feeling. Regardless we both feel its a great game. The controls are solid and simply the actions beyond anything Ghost Recon could have ever imagined.

I'd give GoW a 7/10 just based on the offline features. Some loading issues and lag but nothing that pissed me off enough to stop playing. Great game, wish the camera angle was at least a bit adjustable and the aiming cursor was a little faster but still solid game and tons of fun with a friend.

I can't wait to get some music into that 360 and listen to it while I run and gun. This is a feature the original X-Box should have had and I'm glad MS did an override of their software allowing it to play as you wish.

Sony has to include this in a feature software upgrade for the PS3 because it is just vital. From gaming back on Doom for the PC listening to your own music was something I loved. Nothing like Trent screaming in your ear as you frag a few imps.

Okay, cleaning mother is coming to see the condo I'll try to catch up a bit more tomorrow.

Blackout
11-25-06, 06:56 PM
I can't wait to get some music into that 360 and listen to it while I run and gun. This is a feature the original X-Box should have had and I'm glad MS did an override of their software allowing it to play as you wish.Ummm....the original X-Box did have this feature but only for specified games. I would listen to my own music while playing Forza or Madden all the time

axnguyen
11-25-06, 09:40 PM
points for that link ax. I gotta get some guys together now...
How does that work exactly....

If you can't get enough guys together you could always just join another clan.

What you have to do is register anyone who wants to play on that site. Once you're all registered, you set up your team on the GoW ladder. Then, whenever you want to "war" you go to match finder and set up a war with another clan - that will include the number of rounds, maps, etc (I think there's guidelines laid out by the site). Then when the "war" is done, the loser must go and report the loss, which gives the winner points, making that clan get to a higher level and moves that clan up the ladder.

It's all actually quite regulated so that no one cheats, or doesn't report and stuff as well...some people get really hardcore and record the matches so they have proof in case there's any arguments.

There's also other little things, like you can't war someone too far from your level which is really handy. It keeps the really good clans from going and just playing the bad ones to get points. A medium skilled clan should theoretically stay somewhere near the middle of the ladder as they win/lose games, and will therefore play similarly skilled clans.

It adds a whole new aspect to gaming, as I always have more fun when things are competitive :)

railven
11-26-06, 01:41 AM
Ummm....the original X-Box did have this feature but only for specified games. I would listen to my own music while playing Forza or Madden all the time

Yeah umm I guess I should be more specific next time. Yeah it did have it big whoop on like ten games. It wasn't an override, as it is in the 360, allowing it to be over anything.

Blackout
11-26-06, 10:07 AM
Yeah umm I guess I should be more specific next time. Yeah it did have it big whoop on like ten games. It wasn't an override, as it is in the 360, allowing it to be over anything.Your right on it not being an override for all games but you would be surprised as to how many games did offer it. I never used it too much but I know that when you would go into the audio options there would be an option to listen to music from the X-Box's hard drive. But as you said it wasn't available on all games. But I think just the fact that a last gen system did even offer this is quite a nice feature and that a next gen console like the PS3 still can't do it

railven
11-26-06, 10:14 AM
Hey the PS2 had it as a Linux app. If you modded your PS2/XBOX some of the stuff these current systems can do isn't very impressive.

My PS2 had a linux Red Hat installation and I could listen to mp3's while the program ran in the background. Now granted the program wasn't intense but it let me form a play list and skip/rewind as I pleased but I couldn't open it up after my game was running and switch play list.

And PS3 currently can't do it but it could just be a software tweak that will enable it.

By the way I read that article you posted. The author was hired by Microsoft to make a comparative review so he wasn't neutral. And a lot of the information he posted was opinion and not factual. His numbers on the CPU's seemed almost like he created them and yeah he did try to use a desktop CPU to explain the limits of the Cell/Xenon CPU.

So I sort of wouldn't use that article for a real arguement only to persuade those with less knowledge about computers.

Everything I've read about the CPU's but each one at a different plate. It will ultimately come down to the coding. I read some great threads about how the developers can basically make or kill a system and I'd have to agree with them. If the developers use the hardware right it's still anybodies game.

gary88
11-26-06, 11:31 AM
Looks like PS3 ebay sellers are starting to get a little desperate lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140057390756&rd=1&rd=1

railven
11-26-06, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't say that at all judging from the picture. But I will say that the hype is over and PS3's probably aren't selling for that much anymore.

Man you know how many item's I've seen on EBAY with sexual images? I saw a few selling HID kits.

I thought it was funny, but hey whatever scores them a sale I guess. Just looking at modern day advertisement is testament enough that SEX-SELLS.

xxpinballxx
11-26-06, 03:33 PM
they do that all the time......
usually after the first shipment the prices drop a fair deal on the new hard to get items.
My one buddy wants to get a couple and sell them...I told them too late now should have thought of that when they were in High high demand.
My nephew sold his spot in line for 800 bucks......I could have killed him. Could have sold for 2500 or so and then got another and still had 800 bucks in his pocket....dumbass!

gary88
11-26-06, 06:40 PM
I stumbled across this...

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/26/resistance-17-75gb-of-garbage/

Come on now Sony :nono:

railven
11-26-06, 09:45 PM
According to that article first it was 17.75GB of padding then it was confrimed at 420MB per region?

Someone want to explain that to me? Hmmm.

17.75GB equals roughly 18176MB
So at roughly 420MB per region that yields a total of 43.3 regions.

I didn't even know we had that many regions!

Something don't smell right and I hate it when Joystiq doesn't give you their reference outside of just "x-site said."

dp102288
11-27-06, 09:33 AM
There are a lot of sex images in those ringtones and phone wallpapers cds they sell on ebay. Makes me laugh at what people will do to sell shit.